Coronavirus Now in Thailand !!

GT93
udonmap.com

Re: Coronavirus Now in Thailand !!

Post by GT93 » February 24, 2020, 12:17 pm

Over time the virus, like the flu, will mutate. The percentage of people with the Coronavirus who die might increase a lot. I suspect that risk is factored into the global response to the virus. And sure, we might be lucky and it might become less dangerous.

Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » February 24, 2020, 8:25 pm

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 24, 2020, 8:47 pm

here's a pretty good website with a world-wide rollup on what's going on with the Corona virus https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... #countries
Dave

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 24, 2020, 9:47 pm

Stock markets dropping like a stone, gold rising sharply, people are getting spooked, that includes me.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » February 25, 2020, 4:08 am

Due to Australia stopping direct flights into Australia from China a couple of thousand Chinese students have recently arrived in Australia after, with the blessing of Australian medical authorities, quarantining themselves for the required 14 days in a 3rd country before flying on, most have spent their time in Thailand. Some also spending some of that time 14 day time in Hong Kong.
Nice of Thailand to allow the Chinese and possible carona cases to rest here before flying off to other destinations.
There are thousands more still in transit trying to get back to classes in Aussie land, possibly here in Thailand.
No idea where they are staying or what precautions the Thais are taking for this 14 day self imposed quarantine. Maybe just walking the streets or tourist spots.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » February 25, 2020, 5:28 am

yup. getting to a point where I am wondering if I will be allowed back into Aotearoa after my next Thai layover.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » February 25, 2020, 6:47 am

I was advised yesterday if I go home to Thailand this rotation I will be quarantined on my return to Kazakhstan for 14 days with another 10 days of daily calls to the medical clinic. This became law a few days ago here and even people just transiting through Bangkok are now in quarantine

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 25, 2020, 7:07 am

It looks like the WHO are ramping up the warnings, albeit in a rather subdued manner. It’s all quite odd, in the grand scheme of things the number of reported deaths caused by the virus is quite low when you compare it to common flu so why the slow but steady preparations for something that hasn’t even reached pandemic status yet?

Is there something they’re not telling us or is it just overreaction?

Coronavirus: World must prepare for pandemic, says WHO https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51611422
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 25, 2020, 7:14 am

I will say it again from the initial outbreak, this is a FLU like virus , true unknown but can kill so CAN FLU. However the average person who is reasonably healthy with a reasonably good life style and keep clean MAY catch it, being a respiratory illness therefore it will affect the breathing.
NOW those who have breathing problems, Asthmatics, or other respiratory problems will be more at risk as will those who already suffer from other illnesses, where the inbuilt IMMUNE system is already compromised , that advice has not changed.
Keeping hands away from face and moth, keep[ing hands clean has also not really changed from my youth but many need to be reminded to do just that .

Personally staying away from Public gatherings generally is also good advice , so here wandering through Centara might not be advisable if you are not feeling too good especially over the weekend or even visiting UD , where large crowds all coughing and spitting and generally touching everything might also be inadvisable .

It was interesting to note that Antibiotics are bloody useless as the Video showed . Viruses can not be killed only treat the effects and allow the body to do its work , hence the problem if you are already ILL.

What never fails to amaze me is although we are all concerned over this, people die every day, but they say because of this Virus without categorising it as , yes they had the virus but also suffered from Asthma, or had another infection which weakened the bodies ability to fight the affects. Those facts would be far more interesting and would assist in allaying some fears.

The wearing of masks was also mentioned in that video and has also been mentioned by the British health service, the easily available Surgical type mask , gives one the sense of protection where in fact it is rather useless, the better ones offer some protection, but as it is air-borne unless it is a tight fitting mask which completely stops AIR from getting in unless it is through the filter, is also basically useless, after some years in the Military I can tell you those masks also hinder normal activities as your breathing is shallower, making mundane activities harder .
The advice to keep clean hands and follow age old cleanliness procedures will stand you in far better stead than running around like a chicken with you head cut off ,panicking .

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 25, 2020, 7:34 am

Some sound advice there from KP, certainly it would seem that those who are aged or infirm are most likely to get critically ill but that’s far from conclusive, being fit and well isn’t a guarantee and as KP says, avoiding people seems to be the best defence. Some useful info.

What is coronavirus and what are the symptoms? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51048366

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » February 25, 2020, 7:59 am

Khun Paul wrote:
February 25, 2020, 7:14 am
I will say it again from the initial outbreak, this is a FLU like virus , true unknown but can kill so CAN FLU. However the average person who is reasonably healthy with a reasonably good life style and keep clean MAY catch it, being a respiratory illness therefore it will affect the breathing.
NOW those who have breathing problems, Asthmatics, or other respiratory problems will be more at risk as will those who already suffer from other illnesses, where the inbuilt IMMUNE system is already compromised , that advice has not changed.
Keeping hands away from face and moth, keep[ing hands clean has also not really changed from my youth but many need to be reminded to do just that .
KP.
Spanish Flu was a "flu like virus" that killed over 18 million people worldwide. If this new virus does develop into a pandemic given that its current fatality results are around 2% and lets say for arguments sake 25% of the population are infected that's still a shed load of dead people worldwide. Biggest problems are going to be if this virus starts to show up in Countries that have weak medical infrastructures. These could make even China's figures look like a drop in the ocean.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » February 25, 2020, 9:01 am

Since China lock down the hot spot cities the rest of that extremely large country if reports are correct are not anymore affected than any where else
Has Italy lock down the whole country No just 2 hotspots
and my quess is that it will be like an old rusty bucket of water with holes in it
Can the WHO stop the flu or colds again no

thecroc4
udonmap.com

Post by thecroc4 » February 25, 2020, 9:12 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm1-DnxRiPM

Judging from this simulation, I think the WHO is just trying to have all countries prepared for a pandemic.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 25, 2020, 11:59 am

maaka wrote:
February 25, 2020, 5:28 am
yup. getting to a point where I am wondering if I will be allowed back into Aotearoa after my next Thai layover.
You'll be allowed back. The only risk will be quarantine and I'd guess over 50% of those who should be doing it, aren't making much effort to do it properly.

I think only Samoa has refused entry to its own nationals. The Samoan officials sent some Samoans back to their point of departure in Fiji for their quarantine.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 25, 2020, 2:41 pm

Spanish Flu occurred BEFORE the world was as connected as it is now and the Medical response was sketchy to say the least, but let us not dismiss it ,, it was bad . As someone pointed out if this gets to countries where response is not as robust as in Ist or 2nd world countries, then its effects could be devastating to those populations , however the plus side is that MOST of those less developed countries are hot to very hot , so transmission is more difficult , if however it got into the local tribes in some of the Indonesian tropical islands or in the less populated areas of Malaysia, then it could be very bad .

WE can do nothing in reality except to ensure we are switched on and maintain our own precautions and DON' T Panic, think before acting .

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » February 25, 2020, 3:29 pm

I don't believe anyone here is panicking at present. Was at daughters school show on Saturday night in Nong Mek with at least 1000 family and friends plus all the kids and teachers and not one face mask to be seen. I was also at Bangkok Udon Hospital this morning and only person who was wearing a mask was my examining doctor. I would honestly like to see some factual evidence about higher temperatures making it more difficult for this virus to spread before I stop having to wash my hands every time I scratch an itch or pick my nose.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » February 25, 2020, 3:32 pm

"UAE bans citizens from travelling to Thailand, Kuwait suspends flights"

Its only going to get worse
Sorry KP I aint Panicing but it seems other (Countries ) will

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » February 25, 2020, 10:36 pm

My company just banned business travel and rotational leave to several countries Thailand included. That's me either stick here for months or go somewhere else for my leave. This is going to get alot worse before it gets better

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » February 26, 2020, 1:21 am

Thailand reported 2 more cases, one was a Thai driving Chinese tourists. So what about all those Chinese tourists travelling around. They have the virus and are spreading it. It is impossible that they only infect one person. We are not being told the truth here.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » February 26, 2020, 2:24 am

From my reading and understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, just because you are exposed to the COVID 19 virus does not necessarily mean you will get sick from it. Depending on any other underlying health issues, just like influenza, you may only suffer coughing or a fever, or nothing at all. I will be in Thailand on February 29th, and although I may be taking a few extra precautions, like bringing some handy wipes, it's not going to consume me and I'm not going to let it ruin my vacation. And there is no doubt that many individuals may have been exposed to it, and may or may not have contacted it, but neither they nor the government would know about it because they have not been tested and would not be tested due to the fact they do not know they have contacted it because they have ordinary cold symptoms or no symptoms at all.

And besides, Trump said that the heat will kill the virus, so I think I'm safe. (yes, sarcasm)

Update.....Eva Air just send me an email informing me that they are changing my seat assignment. Apparently they are going with a smaller plane from Taipei to Bangkok, it's usually a 777.

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”