A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Barney
udonmap.com

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by Barney » May 9, 2021, 1:52 pm

Lot of important events on this day.

ON THIS DAY –9th May

1900 – The Sierra Nevada was wrecked off Portsea, Victoria; 23 lives were lost.

1901 – The first Commonwealth Parliament in Australia is opened by the Duke of Cornwall and York (later individual George V) at the Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne.

1921 – Australia assumed responsibility for the administration of the Territory of New Guinea, following a League of Nations mandate divesting Germany of its colonies as required by the Treaty of Versailles.

1927 – Canberra replaced Melbourne as the capital of Australia, and the Australian Parliament convened there for the first time.

1927 – Parliament House in Canberra was officially opened by the Duke of York.

1945 – Germany surrendered to the Allies, ending World War II in Europe.

1981 – Assisted passage to Australia was restricted to refugees.

1988 – Elizabeth II opened the New Parliament House in Canberra

Pictured:
Cases and Barrels of Whisky from the Sierra Nevada (TROVE) – Bottom Left
Opening of the first Commonwealth Parliament of Australia (SLSA) – Bottom Right
Old Parliament House in Canberra opening ceremony in 1927 (NLA) – Top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 10, 2021, 7:40 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
May 9, 2021, 11:41 am
noosard wrote:
May 9, 2021, 7:35 am
Sorry another cloudy day in Oz
Australians dreaming of international travel or reuniting with family members overseas have a long wait on their hands.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has confirmed Australia’s strict international border closure will stay in place indefinitely.
I just wonder how they would go about putting an Australian in jail for returning to his place of birth. :confused:

I doubt The Australian Government has a specific current Law in place for this circumstance, but I might be wrong, they may have introduced a new law over the past 18 months. But I doubt one ever existed in the distant past, for this circumstance. Again, I may be wrong.

So assuming an Australian swims home or better still sails his Yacht from, say "New Caledonia" to Australia, forgoing entry at the Sydney Airport, goes straight to the closest Harbour Customs Office or Department of Immigration at the Rocks, formally presents his Passport and notification of entry, then what Law has he broken and or under what Law do they legally detain him for 5 years. He is not an illegal immigrant.

I can only assume there will need to be a test Case in a Court of Law and that our present day Government doesn't have the right to incrassate an Australian, indefinitely, without trial. :-k

pipoz4444
I recall reading last year when interstate travel was proscribed by state-issued Covid control legislation, some people from out of state were arrested, charged, etc.. In your example, if the yachty fronts up in a port that's not in his state of birth, he could be arrested under the same, current state laws, no? Otherwise, as you suggest, federal legislation would be required to close all borders to all Australians. Do you see such emergency legislation being seriously challenged if proposed?

This time last year, Mongolia made some headlines by banning their own from re-entry. Not knowing their politics, maybe it was easier for them to do this than it would be in your "traditional" western democracies and Australia?

As for enforcement, with the majority of Australian living along broadly coastal areas with highways, railways and air links being sparse and point-to-point on a bloody great big island, watching for "illegal" border hoppers should be as easy as it is in land-locked Mongolia.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 10, 2021, 2:36 pm

ON THIS DAY –10th May

1820 – Botanist, Charles Moore was born. Charles Moore was an Australian botanist. He arrived in Sydney on 14 January 1848 and took up the position of Director of the Royal Botanic Garden, Sydney, a position he held until 5 May 1896. As Director for 48 years (1848–96), he did much to develop Sydney's Botanic Garden in its modern form. He tackled the problems of poor soil, inadequate water and shortage of funds to develop much of the Gardens in the form we see today. The Palm Grove, in the heart of the Garden, is a reminder of his skill and foresight, as is the reclaimed land behind the Farm Cove seawall which added a significant area to the Royal Botanic Gardens. During his time as Director he also undertook several trips in eastern New South Wales as a plant and seed collector. Nineteen species were named after him by Ferdinand von Mueller.

1824 – The Supreme Court opened in Tasmania.

1996 – Prime Minister John Howard announced gun controls in the wake of the Port Arthur massacre.

1996 – Floods in southern Queensland & northern New South Wales killed 5 people & caused more than AUD$55 million in farm losses.

Pictured:
Charles E Moore (Wiki) – Top
The Supreme Court and Police Office buildings in Murray Street, Hobart, sketched in 1838. Tasmania's Supreme Court, established on 10 May 1824, was the first in the Australian colonies. – Bottom

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 10, 2021, 6:42 pm

tamada wrote:
May 10, 2021, 7:40 am
I just wonder how they would go about putting an Australian in jail for returning to his place of birth. :confused:

I doubt The Australian Government has a specific current Law in place for this circumstance, but I might be wrong, they may have introduced a new law over the past 18 months. But I doubt one ever existed in the distant past, for this circumstance. Again, I may be wrong.

So assuming an Australian swims home or better still sails his Yacht from, say "New Caledonia" to Australia, forgoing entry at the Sydney Airport, goes straight to the closest Harbour Customs Office or Department of Immigration at the Rocks, formally presents his Passport and notification of entry, then what Law has he broken and or under what Law do they legally detain him for 5 years. He is not an illegal immigrant.

I can only assume there will need to be a test Case in a Court of Law and that our present day Government doesn't have the right to incrassate an Australian, indefinitely, without trial. :-k

pipoz4444
[/quote]

I recall reading last year when interstate travel was proscribed by state-issued Covid control legislation, some people from out of state were arrested, charged, etc.. In your example, if the yachty fronts up in a port that's not in his state of birth, he could be arrested under the same, current state laws, no? Otherwise, as you suggest, federal legislation would be required to close all borders to all Australians. Do you see such emergency legislation being seriously challenged if proposed?

This time last year, Mongolia made some headlines by banning their own from re-entry. Not knowing their politics, maybe it was easier for them to do this than it would be in your "traditional" western democracies and Australia?

As for enforcement, with the majority of Australian living along broadly coastal areas with highways, railways and air links being sparse and point-to-point on a bloody great big island, watching for "illegal" border hoppers should be as easy as it is in land-locked Mongolia.
[/quote]

Tam,

Ok let’s leave the Yachty for a minutes, because he hailed from Sydney Harbor, in which case more than like to be a criminal by birth, anyway. \:D/ .

I believe separate States were using their own or possibly Federal Biosecurity Act Laws to prevent Australians travelling from one state to the next. \:D/ NT falls under Federal, as it is not a State and Tasmania doesn't need prohibitive Laws, because no one wants to go the. \:D/ \:D/

The Federal Government has banned and has extended the ban on Australian Citizen going overseas, to the extent that you now have to apply and get an exemption and or permission to travel. Notably this leave, exemption and or permission is granted in some cases and not in others.

I can also understand that the Federal Government may have a law in place that stop Australian's traveling overseas for the wrong or harmful reasons such, fighting in someone else's war or engaging in criminal activity and that is quite reasonable, as it may be deemed potentially harmful to Australia.

But I am yet to find a Federal Government on the Books, that says an Australian citizen cannot leave the shores for the purpose of travel and or legitimate reasons and of his/her own free will. Ok maybe, he/she will need to waive their rights to return at a time of their own choosing.

But leaving Australia is another matter and how is departing, causing harm to or placing the Australia at risk. To me there is no logic behind the Federal Ban and I am not aware of any specific Law that the Federal Government has, to stop its Citizens traveling overseas for holiday, business and or legitimate reasons.

I would also argue that the Australian Government were hypocritical when they allowed the Cricketers go overseas for to IPL, knowing of the inherent risk in India at the time, yet still telling other Citizens that they could not leave for their holidays elsewhere. One reason for some and another reason for other? [-X [-X [-X

I can see a time, when this will be challenged in our Federal Courts. What the outcome will be, we will have to wait and see. :-k :-k

I tried reading the Biosecurity Act, on the presumption that the Federal Government may be hiding behind this Act, but gave up. If they are using the B A, then we will shortly see how the Federal Court interprets the Federal Government powers, under it.

Meanwhile, I will keep searching for that Federal Government Law, which the F G doesn't seem to be able to specifically quote =;

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 10, 2021, 8:20 pm

pipo, I've gotta ask - why are you trying to do the work of the Federal Court, which is currently hearing cases (as I previously highlighted) about the application of laws restricting inward and outward movement to/from Australia?

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 10, 2021, 8:53 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 10, 2021, 8:20 pm
pipo, I've gotta ask - why are you trying to do the work of the Federal Court, which is currently hearing cases (as I previously highlighted) about the application of laws restricting inward and outward movement to/from Australia?
Haven't got that far yet or caught up with current Federal Court Cases, but will do a search

I might be Jack, that the Federal Court will need my Vote on the Ruling if it is a split decision. Then again maybe not :-k \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

I will search and see what Google allows me to find.

Cheers

pipoz4444

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 11, 2021, 5:28 pm

For those who loved the Clarke & Dawe show on the ABC (sorry Sport), you will appreciate this galoot (Keith Pitt, the minister for resources, water and northern Australia) trying to squirm out of answering a simple question. :D

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » May 11, 2021, 6:32 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 11, 2021, 5:28 pm
For those who loved the Clarke & Dawe show on the ABC (sorry Sport), you will appreciate this galoot (Keith Pitt, the minister for resources, water and northern Australia) trying to squirm out of answering a simple question. :D

Not the abc crap again. Your not up to date with current affairs are you JS, so its not worth commenting on your jibberish lefty channel. There are other channels besides the abc, have a look.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » May 11, 2021, 6:43 pm

Well Fock me dead said Foreskin Fred the bastard from the bush, l didn’t realise that Keith Pitt was the only politician on either side of the isle who has avoided answering a commentator’s question. Thanks for enlightening us JS.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 11, 2021, 7:00 pm

You're more than welcome, tt.

Feel free to throw up a few of your own "best of" politicians trying not to make an absolute farkwit of themself.

However, you seem to have missed the point of my post - Clarke & Dawe. No surprise there. ;)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 11, 2021, 7:07 pm

Sport wrote:
May 11, 2021, 6:32 pm

Not the abc crap again. Your not up to date with current affairs are you JS, so its not worth commenting on your jibberish lefty channel. There are other channels besides the abc, have a look.
I guess you are right, Sport. There are other channels out there beside Australia's most trusted - the ABC.

I do look at several others, but would welcome your recommendations as to what else I should watch - based of course on your viewing habits.

We can then have an interesting discussion on the relative merits of the various channels. We can even look at things like facts, and science, and evidence.

Looking forward to it. :D

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 11, 2021, 8:12 pm

Ah! ..... the hypocrisy of conservative governments

Australia's Tory government released their coming year budget tonight - and the headline number was $1 trillion dollars of debt. This coming from a side of politics that has mercilessly attacked, over decades, progressive governments about unsustainable debt.

Of course this debt is sustainable, and entirely warranted under the current circumstances - and props to Scotty From Marketing for realising this. But utter scorn for their double standards and hypocrisy.

Probably rings a bell with our American friends, who will remember the sustained attack on Obama (coming out of the GFC), only to see Trump's bootlickers totally overlook his record plunge into debt.

But wait ....... now with a new President and administration, debt is a serous issue again.

Ya' couldn't make it up. :D

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » May 11, 2021, 8:18 pm

Come on now, what's $7.9 trillion in 4 years amongst friends?

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » May 12, 2021, 2:26 am

Despite previous LNP governments policies on shrinking debt, the latest budget release IMO leaves very little wriggle room for ALP to create a big enough point of difference in the upcoming federal elections to see them become the government of the day.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 12, 2021, 3:15 pm

trekkertony wrote:
May 12, 2021, 2:26 am
Despite previous LNP governments policies on shrinking debt, the latest budget release IMO leaves very little wriggle room for ALP to create a big enough point of difference in the upcoming federal elections to see them become the government of the day.
Upcoming election? It's likely to be a long way off unless things change quite a bit. The last election was March 2019, an election must be held before September 3, 2022. They say 24 hours is a long time in politics, 15+ months is an eternity. Far to early to make a call either way, too may variables, and if the parliament goes full term there will be a mini-budget and a full budget before any election. Every poll in 2021 has shown the margin between the parties as tiny, most have Labor in the lead but like all elections, it will be the marginal seats that decide the winner, not the overall popular vote

Labor will not win the next election, but the coalition could lose it.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 12, 2021, 3:56 pm

ON THIS DAY –12th May

1856 – A victory march was held in Victoria following the introduction of the eight-hour working day.

1865 – Bushranger John Gilbert was shot dead near Binalong, New South Wales.

1869 – The Age newspaper in Melbourne began the process of moving from Collins Street to Spencer Street. The move is completed on 6 October.

1870 – Port Adelaide Football Club was founded in South Australia

1905 – The first meeting of the Australian Council of Defence takes place between the Minister for Defence, the Treasurer, the Inspector-General Army, the Chief of Intelligence, and the Director of the Naval Forces.

1918 – Abel Hoadley, Australian confectioner (Violet Crumble), died at the age of 73.

1924 – Royal assent was given to the Parliamentary Elections (Women Candidates) Act 1924, allowing women to stand for parliament in Victoria.

1941 – ‘The Daily Mirror’ newspaper was first published in Sydney.

1997 – Susie Maroney, 22, became the first person to swim the 180 km (110 mi) Florida Straits from Cuba to the United States.

Pictured:
The eight hours' demonstration.-Procession entering the Zoological Gardens 1864 (SLV) – Bottom Left
Cobb & Co coach in front of The Age office in 1934 (Pinterest) – Top
Gordon Hoadley next to painting of Abel Hoadley, the inventor of Violet Crumble (Herald Sun) – Bottom Right

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 13, 2021, 4:37 pm

ON THIS DAY –13th May

1787 – Arthur Phillip set sails with 11 ships of criminals to Botany Bay, Australia.

1792 – The first confirmed sighting of the elusive Tasmanian Tiger was made.

1857 – St Kilda railway station, Melbourne was opened.

1861 – The Great Comet of 1861 was discovered by John Tebbutt of Windsor, New South Wales.

1865 – Bushranger Johnny Gilbert was shot dead by police at Binalong, New South Wales.

1932 – The Premier of New South Wales, Jack Lang, was dismissed by the Governor, Sir Philip Game.

Pictured:
The First Fleet (Visit Sydney Australia) – Bottom Right
The Tasmanian Tiger (Its Nature) – Top Left
COMET COMING The ‘Great Comet’ of 1861, on Tebbutt’s radar in Windsor (Michael Burge Media) – Top Right
Engraving of John Gilbert (SLV) – Left Middle
Jack Lang smoking his trademark pipe (NLA) – Left Bottom

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 19, 2021, 4:20 pm

ON THIS DAY –19th May

1861 – Dame Nellie Melba, Australian operatic singer, was born.

1915 – John Simpson Kirkpatrick, the man who heroically rescued wounded soldiers with a donkey at Gallipoli, was killed.

1942 – The prototype CAC Boomerang, an Australian-designed and built fighter aircraft, took to the air for the first time.

1948 – Federal government announced that Australian rail gauges would be standardised by 1951.

1950 – Cabinet agreed to send forces to aid the British during the Malayan Emergency.

1976 – Gold ownership legalized in Australia.

1997 – In the one and only Super League Tri-series, New South Wales defeat Queensland 23–22 in the longest (104 minutes) & one of the most exciting games of representative rugby league ever played.

Pictured:
Melba, drawn by Frank Haviland (Wiki) – Top Left
Simpson (centre) with his donkey, bearing a wounded soldier (Wiki) – Top Right
Boomerangs under construction at CAC's factory at Fisherman's Bend (AWM) – Bottom

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 20, 2021, 6:08 pm

ON THIS DAY –20th May

1864 – Bushranger Ben Hall and his gang escaped from a shootout with police after attempting to rob the Bang Bang Hotel in Koorawatha, New South Wales.

1867 – Copper was first discovered in Queensland, sparking the founding of the town of Cloncurry.

1878 – One thousand unemployed men marched up Collins Street, Melbourne, demanding relief work. Premier Berry agreed to construct sanitation works and thus employ two hundred men.

1925 – The Murrumbidgee River flooded for eight days killing four people, as up to 500 millimetres (20 in) falls in its upper catchment.

1941 – WWII - The Battle of Crete, involving the Australian 6th Division, began.

1988 – Perth's third commercial television station NEW-10 opened, giving Perth the same number of stations as the eastern states.

Pictured:
Stagecoach outside the post and telegraph office in Cloncurry, ca. 1910 (John Oxley Library, SLQ) – Top
Hand-coloured sepia photograph of Ben Hall (NLA) – Bottom Left
Main Street of Wagga Wagga in Flood 1925 (Wagga Wagga Local History) – Bottom Right

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 21, 2021, 3:46 pm

The Pub Test

Australian term, often used by the media, to describe the collective opinion of the everyday Australians to the conduct and reputation of public figures such as elected officials and celebrities, or to current events. In many cases "the pub test" is a device employed by journalists to invoke the "temperature" of an issue among the general public, without actually engaging with members of the public. In other cases, journalists may canvas the patrons of a pub in order to elicit public opinion, while also providing a humorous flavour to their story by including quotes from or footage of inebriated patrons.

Pub Test 1.jpg

Pub Test 2.jpg

pipoz4444

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”