General Discussion of UK Politics

Earnest
udonmap.com

Re: General Discussion of UK Politics

Post by Earnest » July 11, 2022, 6:32 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
July 11, 2022, 11:16 am
We haven't had ANY government for the last 3 years .........we've had a lunatic and a bunch of yesmen/women
So who planned the Covid-19 strategy then, you Prune?

Who planned the support to Ukraine?

Who pushes up NI contributions?

This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 11, 2022, 6:49 pm

You ??

or was it "U turn"

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 11, 2022, 6:53 pm

"I now understand that there are integrity issues against Nadhim Zahawi. "

I suppose any type of integrity makes a change from the zero integrity from the buffoon hes trying to replace, or the complete void that seems to occupy the area between Nadine Dorries ears

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 11, 2022, 9:16 pm

GT93 wrote:
July 11, 2022, 12:16 pm
The system has failed. A Prime Minister with Johnson's obvious lack of integrity shouldn't last even close to three years.

I now understand that there are integrity issues against Nadhim Zahawi. Johnson, not surprisingly, didn't give them much weight in appointing him Chancellor. A Chancellor being investigated, I believe, by his own department. :shock:
Hold my beer...
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 12, 2022, 5:01 am

stattointhailand wrote:
July 11, 2022, 6:49 pm
You ??

or was it "U turn"
The lady is not for turning.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 13, 2022, 2:44 pm

Round 1 done and dusted. Shapps couldn't get in the stalls. Patel couldn't be bothered coming. Javid fell at the first fence (Johnny no mates) as did my favorite rank outsider Rehman Chishti (at least he said thanks to his no friends on Twitter). JR-M and our Nadine have delivered a kiss of death to Truss with their endorsement. Badenoch delivered an awesome, nominally cerebral "why me" thesis so becomes my new favorite. Tugendhat looked and sounded Prime Ministerial by not saying anything particularly enlightening. Sunak was... just Sunak with that perpetual megawatt smile and hot air. Didn't hear anything from Hunt (what rhymes with Hunt?) or Mordaunt or the one week old Chancellor but they obviously have their acolytes.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 14, 2022, 12:54 am

I think there are 4 sheilas still in the contest. This is quite a surprise to me. The British Tories seem to be a different species from say the Aussie Tories. I think leading the British Tories would be an awful job. Little unity and having to sort out the unfinished Brexit mess.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 14, 2022, 2:18 am

tamada wrote:
July 13, 2022, 2:44 pm
Sunak was... just Sunak with that perpetual megawatt smile and hot air.
A big mistake if he becomes PM; a man with no character waiting to re-apply for his green card. There will be something in his background that Labour and the 'papers will latch on to. He's pretty useless and that's why we need a general election. We can't leave this to Tory Party weirdies.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 14, 2022, 6:44 am

GT93 wrote:
July 14, 2022, 12:54 am
I think there are 4 sheilas still in the contest. This is quite a surprise to me. The British Tories seem to be a different species from say the Aussie Tories. I think leading the British Tories would be an awful job. Little unity and having to sort out the unfinished Brexit mess.
Thatcher was fundamentally rubbish so why not rinse & repeat? Then in fifty-odd years, they can commission another bloody statue that nobody wants.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 14, 2022, 6:49 am

Earnest wrote:
July 14, 2022, 2:18 am
tamada wrote:
July 13, 2022, 2:44 pm
Sunak was... just Sunak with that perpetual megawatt smile and hot air.
A big mistake if he becomes PM; a man with no character waiting to re-apply for his green card. There will be something in his background that Labour and the 'papers will latch on to. He's pretty useless and that's why we need a general election. We can't leave this to Tory Party weirdies.
Can you imagine the total uproar there would be if Labour had been in power with a PM that had fallen foul of his own hubris and corrupt nepotism and they were relying on the Momentum weirdos to decide the next leader?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 14, 2022, 6:57 am

I think British politics is very entertaining. Much more entertaining than NZ politics. I am a bit concerned if I consume too much of it that I'll start thinking like a Brit. Perhaps I shouldn't be concerned about that? Many humans are half-crazy.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 14, 2022, 7:18 am

Whether to stop or start thinking, that is the question, no?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 14, 2022, 8:17 am

Hunt and Zahawi crash and burn. That's what mediocre gets you.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dApp_Other
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 14, 2022, 8:48 am

Sunak 88
Mordaunt 67
Truss 50
Badenoch 40
Tugendhat 37
Braverman 32
(Zahawi 25)
(Hunt 18)

Seconds away...round two.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 15, 2022, 1:56 pm

Braverman (who?) eliminated. Throws her hand in with Truss. Some senior sycophants cajolong Badenoch to withdraw and do the same but curiously don't ask the same of the other slim-chance Tugendhat? Meanwhile, smiling boy Sunak keeps hoovering up the cast offs and rejects while Mordaunt quietly bolsters her numbers.

So the Famous Five will be in some sort if debate on Sky that'll be moderated by Kay Burley. I think I'll go watch a documentary about animals shagging instead.

Round 3 next week will eliminate three contenders and leave the top two to go for the 'party vote' whatever the hell that is.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 16, 2022, 12:39 am

It's when all the grassroot, rabid, dribbling pensioners vote for someone who's white, wealthy and middle-aged to run the country.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 16, 2022, 7:11 am

Earnest wrote:
July 16, 2022, 12:39 am
It's when all the grassroot, rabid, dribbling pensioners vote for someone who's white, wealthy and middle-aged to run the country.
Really? Oh dear, poor* Rishi.

*Poor as in unfortunate and not as in impoverished.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 16, 2022, 7:20 am

This from the Guardian.

ITV have a story this evening, which they are labelling an exclusive, in which they say they have seen a document outlining a plan “to create 39 new Tory-supporting lords as a matter of urgency, to push through contentious legislation.”

It doesn’t originate from within government however, but from Sir Lynton Crosby’s lobbying group, which ITV describes as “the most influential political lobby group that advises the prime minister.”

Given that he is the outgoing prime minister, it may not be that big a deal, but there was one eye-catching line. The report says analysis shows “if there had been around 40 additional committed Tory supporters in the Lords, Boris Johnson would have avoided more than half of the defeats he suffered in the second chamber since becoming prime minister.”

With nearly 800 members in the House of Lords already, any expansion would push the UK even closer to being the largest legislature on earth. Currently only China – population 1.4bn – has more lawmakers than there are in London.

From the horse's mouth here

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-07-15/rev ... -loyalists
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 16, 2022, 10:19 am

tamada wrote:
July 16, 2022, 7:11 am
Earnest wrote:

No. They would like to see a dark chap in charge as long as hes not too dark. It gives them a sense of superiority over someone in authority. My elderly rabid, dribbling parents refer to their Asian doctor as being "nice" with the implied "for one of them".

They see Rishi as the same. If he wore a turban or his missus a burka, things would be different.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 16, 2022, 12:03 pm

samster wrote:
July 16, 2022, 10:19 am
tamada wrote:
July 16, 2022, 7:11 am
Earnest wrote:

No. They would like to see a dark chap in charge as long as hes not too dark. It gives them a sense of superiority over someone in authority. My elderly rabid, dribbling parents refer to their Asian doctor as being "nice" with the implied "for one of them".

They see Rishi as the same. If he wore a turban or his missus a burka, things would be different.
Really? Oh dear, poor Kemi. She's not quite 'one of milk, two of cocoa' as my uncle would describe the indigenous after his first tour in Borneo.

Got to agree with you on the sentiments of our forebears though. My mum and dad found the young chap, the son of the Pakistani owner of the local convenience store to be 'nice' and 'helpful' (which indeed he was) whereas the father was somehow 'unfriendly' just because he spoke very little English and didn't smile much. His wife, who was seen angrily scowling on her very few sightings outside the store room at the back was described as 'threatening'. I put that down to their culture with the womenfolk traditionally kept subservient and in the background. Maybe she was 'angrily scowling' at her husband who wouldn't let her stock shelves until after they'd closed. After suggesting that to my mum, she would always make a point to smile when she caught her eye or say hello when passing in the aisles. She never expected or got an answer or a response but maybe my mum understood the woman's loneliness? Peshawar to Mintlaw must have been a jolt. It was shock enough for me just flitting there from Elgin.

Back on topic. As various media has pointed out, the debate was apparently pretty dull and formulaic until they got all in a tizzy over tax cuts and the inconsequential "if and when" bun fight. There wasn't much interest in the likes of "When can I expect to see my GP?" or "Are you going to intercede with these rail strikes?" or "Why have company profits continually outpaced people's wages?"

It's unreal (but not unexpected) that the rather parochial Tory plebiscite is so jarringly different to that of the struggling British electorate. They are (all still) on a different planet.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “U.K.”