The all-new "Getting BREXIT Done" thread.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: The all-new "Getting BREXIT Done" thread.

Post by vincemunday » February 3, 2020, 7:27 pm

A great speech, Boris outlining what will and won’t be acceptable during the deal negotiations, I have to say his approach to the EU is better than I could have hoped for, there will be no alignment, no red lines, just an open mind and lots of willing to get a trade deal sorted, well done Boris.

https://youtu.be/nV1XZQ_8eqE

The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » February 3, 2020, 9:45 pm

vincemunday wrote:
February 3, 2020, 7:27 pm
A great speech, Boris outlining what will and won’t be acceptable during the deal negotiations, I have to say his approach to the EU is better than I could have hoped for, there will be no alignment, no red lines, just an open mind and lots of willing to get a trade deal sorted, well done Boris.

https://youtu.be/nV1XZQ_8eqE
=D> =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Will be quite a few Boris haters crying into their wee wet tissues after that speech. Very good speech with just some notes in front of him. Well done that man.

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » February 5, 2020, 6:35 am

He is certainly a good speaker, lets hope his actions follow his words.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 5, 2020, 6:58 am

While it was agood speech, it was just that A SPEECH, now the hard work really starts and I hope that the rhetoric , is kept to the minimum as at the moment every times Boris states NO DEAL the pound takes a hammering . Mouth shut and nose to the grindstone Boris, Good man

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » February 5, 2020, 7:11 am

Despite Brexit being the overiding ppart of the Conservatives election win, there were other promises made that could start to be addressed now.
1. Re assessing the BBC license fee and making non possession of it a civil, not criminal offence( frees up 10% court time)

2. Slashing the overseas aid budget ensuring funds go to those in need and not into the bank accounts of 3rd world politicians.

3.Constituency boundary reform, making constituency numbers roughly equal.

4.Get rid of the fixed term parliament act.

5.Reform the House of Lords

All of the above should IMO be addressed sooner rather than later.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » February 5, 2020, 11:02 am

Khun Paul wrote:
February 5, 2020, 6:58 am
While it was agood speech, it was just that A SPEECH, now the hard work really starts and I hope that the rhetoric , is kept to the minimum as at the moment every times Boris states NO DEAL the pound takes a hammering . Mouth shut and nose to the grindstone Boris, Good man
Agree with what you mean about "just a speech" Paul. Boris is savvy enough to know that in these days of social media these promises will not just be forgotten about as in the days when we only had the BBC and newspapers feed us what ever they wanted. I have high hopes for this guys tenure as the political Leader of the United Kingdom whatever the Dictators and Wee Nippy try to do to derail us.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 6, 2020, 11:11 am

When the EU finally collapses of its own weight, what will happen to the currency. Another can of worms? Some countries were smart enough to keep their own currencies.

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » February 6, 2020, 11:42 am

The Euro was created too early. The EU was trying to run before it could walk.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 6, 2020, 1:55 pm

"there will be no alignment, no red lines, just an open mind and lots of willing to get a trade deal sorted, well done Boris."

You have to say he is a good speaker :lol: and I think he believes what he is saying is correct.

Unfortunately his obvious lack of knowledge when it comes to Trade deals and WTO laws and regulations could be a bit of a hinderance to him getting even the basics sorted in the manner he is suggesting :-k

We can only hope that (unlike over the pond) there are people in the tory party prepared to stand up and point out the failures in his plans BEFORE he takes himself and the country over the cliff edge.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » February 9, 2020, 5:52 am

What is anyone's position on here from the UK about Boris letting Huawei into the UK market?

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » February 9, 2020, 7:01 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
February 9, 2020, 5:52 am
What is anyone's position on here from the UK about Boris letting Huawei into the UK market?
They are already in the UK communication system. Huge amount of Huawei kit in the 4G system, that is why the UK is using them for the 5G. We would have to replace them for the 4G as 5G is being built on top of the 4G system.

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » February 9, 2020, 7:22 am

I believe that letting Huawei into UK market a very dangerous thing, and I am not even sure that the whole 5G project should go ahead.
As for Boris negotiating with the EU, he has to be aware that the EU STILL cannot accept UK leaving and are out to derail any negotiations and seek to punish UK in order to deter other countries leaving.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 9, 2020, 1:18 pm

err BOJO isn't "negotiating with the EU, in fact NO govt dept is :roll:

BOJO disbanded the Brexit dept (even though there is still at least 11 months before we leave the EU) and so far has not tasked any dept to do the negotiating, meaning the civil servants involved are currently in a "do nothing until someone gives us permission scenario"
There are currently approx 700 trade deals that need negotiating, about 20 do not need changing, and ONE has now been agreed on a temporary short term basis. Given the complexity of any trade deal , and the WTO laws that have to be followed when negotiating the deals (something Boris seems to be blissfully unaware of, or is lying on purpose about, take your pick) the BEST we can hope for is to get One deal a week done, which means there will be still be about 650 deals waiting to be sorted when we leave the EU at the end of the year :-&

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » February 9, 2020, 2:52 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
February 9, 2020, 1:18 pm
err BOJO isn't "negotiating with the EU, in fact NO govt dept is :roll:

BOJO disbanded the Brexit dept (even though there is still at least 11 months before we leave the EU) and so far has not tasked any dept to do the negotiating, meaning the civil servants involved are currently in a "do nothing until someone gives us permission scenario"
There are currently approx 700 trade deals that need negotiating, about 20 do not need changing, and ONE has now been agreed on a temporary short term basis. Given the complexity of any trade deal , and the WTO laws that have to be followed when negotiating the deals (something Boris seems to be blissfully unaware of, or is lying on purpose about, take your pick) the BEST we can hope for is to get One deal a week done, which means there will be still be about 650 deals waiting to be sorted when we leave the EU at the end of the year :-&
Given that there are 195 sovereign nations on the planet and 28 of them will negotiate as a single member of the Dictatorship where do you get your figure of 650 separate deals needing to be done. There is a whole UK Governmental Department set up and currently hiring the best businessmen and lawyers that the UK can muster, so much difference from the masterbators in the Civil Service that May employed.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 9, 2020, 8:42 pm

Why, if there is a whole new dept set up, does nobody know who is in it (including many who are expected to lead it if and when it finally materialises)
There were 759 International treaties in place as of 31 Jan and the 20 or so that we have been able to "copy/paste" account for about 8% of UK trade

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » February 9, 2020, 10:29 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
February 9, 2020, 8:42 pm
Why, if there is a whole new dept set up, does nobody know who is in it (including many who are expected to lead it if and when it finally materialises)
There were 759 International treaties in place as of 31 Jan and the 20 or so that we have been able to "copy/paste" account for about 8% of UK trade
Where have you been hiding that you don't know who is in charge of Trade Negotiations for the UK worldwide not just the EU.
"Dominic Rennie Raab is a British politician serving as First Secretary of State and Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs since July 2019." His whole department will be taking care of the negotiations with Foreign and Commonwealth Countries. We will not be needing duplication of 759 treaties, the UK will probably have a maximum of 150 as we will not be exporting to the likes of Iran, North Korea, Syria etc.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 9, 2020, 10:34 pm

A relative is a civil servant, working in part on state aid to industry.... last week he was told 'we are no longer allowed to call it state aid, we are now the subsidies team'. More political double speak being dumped on them. There was a 2 page list of words they were now not allowed to use! And of course, they cannot advise industry on how Brexit will affect their trade because their are no trade deals agreed. It is a bit like trying to answer an exam question where all the data needed to calculate your answer is missing ...

Half the staff are trying to move to new posts.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 9, 2020, 11:27 pm

rick wrote:
February 9, 2020, 10:34 pm
A relative is a civil servant, working in part on state aid to industry.... last week he was told 'we are no longer allowed to call it state aid, we are now the subsidies team'. More political double speak being dumped on them. There was a 2 page list of words they were now not allowed to use! And of course, they cannot advise industry on how Brexit will affect their trade because their are no trade deals agreed. It is a bit like trying to answer an exam question where all the data needed to calculate your answer is missing ...

Half the staff are trying to move to new posts.
Sounds like when I was a civil servant working in the rail industry.. One day I was given a near 50% pay rise and told I was now employed by a private rail company. I did exactly the same job as I had been doing the previous week, exept that I had to send my work to the guy who had previously been my assistant and I had trained who had been "promoted" in Network Rail to fill the job I had left ........ go figure ........ Maggies Madness =;

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 13, 2020, 7:46 pm

Sajid Javid takes one of the remaining lifeboats and exits Brextanic before BOJO starts dishing the blame :-$

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » February 13, 2020, 9:32 pm

Yes, Dominic Cummings probably has a little too much power in No. 10.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Return to “U.K.”