British PM to face No confidence vote tonight

AlexO
udonmap.com

Re: British PM to face No confidence vote tonight

Post by AlexO » August 14, 2019, 4:37 pm

joudon wrote:
August 14, 2019, 4:21 pm
If you don't know then perhaps you should not have a vote, as making a decision between 2 clearly stated options is beyond some peoples brain power.
Joudon
Very good reply. Still after 3 years we have a huge number of head scratchers. Remember a lot of these surveys if you refuse to answer for privacy reasons you are noted as a 'Don't Know'

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 14, 2019, 4:40 pm

Or perhaps the 19% are just waiting to see if it's 90% or 95% of what BOJO said that are complete lies this time :-k

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » August 14, 2019, 4:45 pm

You are wrongly assuming the don't knows will always vote one way.
Pollsters will use the same for and against % for the 19%, so 44% becomes 53% and
37% becomes 41%
Still a majority for Boris.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 14, 2019, 5:17 pm

In truth the % dont matter a jot ......... BOJO will just make something up and use it as a quote to back up his idea ..... millions will believe him and we will all end up in the messy stuff again =; Its what BOJO has done all his Uni/working and political life [-X

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » August 14, 2019, 7:11 pm

sore losers are still clutching at strawers to throw spanner in the works because theyr on the EU gravey train and will miss their stipends from the EU but ts too late despite their pathetic whinging..dominic grieve is working for the french as he has property in france and a legion de honor for some reason..
neil kinnock has done the best from the EU gravy train amassing a 30 million pot of cash and property and his kids are on the EU payroll as well..
bojo will pull it off i think
the only good Tory is a lavatory

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 14, 2019, 7:27 pm

yartims wrote:
August 14, 2019, 7:11 pm
bojo will pull it off i think
bojo has been pulling it off for most of his life, as far as I can establish.

So unlikely to change now. ;)

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » August 14, 2019, 7:33 pm

Jeremy Corbyn undermining vote of no confidence to block no-deal, claim Tory rebels
Evening Standard JOE MURPHY,Evening Standard Tue, 13 Aug 09:41 BST

Tory MPs opposed to no-deal Brexit are accusing Jeremy Corbyn of undermining moves to defeat the Government in a no-confidence vote.

A former minister told the Standard that potential rebels were being driven away by the Labour leader’s insistence that any success should pave the way for him to become Prime Minister

Another Tory involved in Commons talks aimed at preventing Britain crashing out of the European Union on October 31 said the chances of a so-called “Government of national unity” were now “nil” and doubted Mr Corbyn could win a no-confidence vote at all.

A Labour Party source hit back by challenging MPs from other parties to decide what their priorities were. “Do they want to stop no-deal or not?” demanded the source.

The dispute comes after shadow chancellor John McDonnell said that if the Government lost its majority he would be “sending Jeremy Corbyn in a cab to Buckingham Palace to say ‘We’re taking over’ to the Queen”.

Under the Fixed Parliament Act, MPs have 14 days in which to form a new government if the sitting PM loses a confidence motion.

The former minister said: “There are Conservatives who may back a no-confidence motion to stop a hard Brexit, but not to make Jeremy Corbyn the next Prime Minister. It might be possible to assemble a unity Government, but only if a Labour centrist like Keir Starmer or Tom Watson was ready to lead it.”

Some Tory rebels believe no-deal could be blocked by a combination of winning a no-confidence vote and passing another Commons vote on a motion to delay Brexit.

Chuka Umunna, the former Labour MP who is now Liberal Democrat Treasury spokesman, said an “emergency government” formed solely to delay Brexit might stand a chance of success but not with Mr Corbyn in charge.

“The person who leads that emergency government must command the confidence of the House,” he said. “All Tory Remainer MPs and a substantial minority of Labour MPs would not give the Labour leader that confidence but would be open to other suggestions.”

Labour’s Diane Abbott yesterday confirmed that Mr Corbyn might move a no-confidence motion when parliament returns on September 3 — provided it looked winnable.

Downing Street advisers claim it is too late for Parliament to stop Brexit on October 31, arguing that Boris Johnson would be under no legal obligation to resign immediately even if he lost a confidence vote.

Tory peer Lord Wolfson, the chief executive of retailer Next, said he would “much prefer” a deal but told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “I think if businesses and the Government prepare well for no-deal then I think the worst outcome will be mild disruption.”
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/jeremy-corbyn ... 00905.html

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 14, 2019, 7:54 pm

"Tory peer Lord Wolfson, the chief executive of retailer Next, said he would “much prefer” a deal but told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “I think if businesses and the Government prepare well for no-deal then I think the worst outcome will be mild disruption.”

I have to say I agree with him 100% ..... it will cause "mild disruption" to your average chief exec officer merchant banker, politician etc etc in that they will need to make sure their accountants move their money to the best places, however it will undoubtedly be a complete disaster for the middle and working classes .

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » August 15, 2019, 12:54 pm

Fingers crossed that things go really well for Blighty from here. Unfortunately I think it's more likely that we'll see Trump drinking Leo in Soi Samphan before year end.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 16, 2019, 6:53 am

BoJo going full Trump on Remainers.

BoJo is calling out the opposition on social media for undermining Brexit by "collaborating" with some in the EU.

BoJo:
“There is a terrible kind of collaboration, as it were, going on between those who think they can block Brexit in Parliament and our European friends.

“We need our European friends to compromise and the more they think that there’s a chance that Brexit can be blocked in Parliament, the more adamant they are in sticking to their position.”
Make Britain Great Again!
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 18, 2019, 5:14 am

YouGov Poll

48% of Britons back leaving the EU “without a Brexit deal, but Jeremy Corbyn does not become prime minister.”

35% of Britions prefer that “Jeremy Corbyn becomes prime minister and holds a second referendum on EU membership including an option to stay in the EU.”

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 19, 2019, 6:05 am

Priti Patel, Home Secretary, is pressing for UK border restrictions to being immediately on October 31. She announced that the UK will end "freedom of movement" for EU citizens on day one of a No-Deal Brexit under the new government plan.

Downing Street did not immediately comment, but it is believed to be endorsed by Downing Street and BoJo's chief aide, Dominic Cummings.

A Home Office spokesperson said” The home secretary has been clear in her intention to take back control of our borders and the end of free movement after October 31.”

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » August 19, 2019, 10:03 am

Lone Star wrote:
August 16, 2019, 6:53 am

BoJo going full Trump on Remainers.

BoJo is calling out the opposition on social media for undermining Brexit by "collaborating" with some in the EU.

BoJo:
“There is a terrible kind of collaboration, as it were, going on between those who think they can block Brexit in Parliament and our European friends.

“We need our European friends to compromise and the more they think that there’s a chance that Brexit can be blocked in Parliament, the more adamant they are in sticking to their position.”
He is stating the bloody obvious in my opinion. What possible reason would parliamentarians have for trying to block Brexit except for their own personal financial benefit. Who in their right mind votes to ensure there is no 'No Deal' option available to the negotiation team. The EU must be killing themselves laughing at that one. Too much self interest and self importance from our political class who are increasingly out of touch with the aspirations of the people they are supposed to serve.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 19, 2019, 6:36 pm

AlexO wrote:
August 19, 2019, 10:03 am
He is stating the bloody obvious in my opinion. What possible reason would parliamentarians have for trying to block Brexit except for their own personal financial benefit.

. . . Too much self interest and self importance from our political class who are increasingly out of touch with the aspirations of the people they are supposed to serve.
We agree.

I think it's time that the vote of the People be honored.

20190819-023043.jpg

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » August 19, 2019, 6:48 pm

No-deal Brexit equals food, fuel and drug shortages, says leaked report
Britain faces a shortfall of everyday essentials if it leaves the European Union without a transition deal, a new leaked report says. Some lawmakers are demanding Parliament be recalled to discuss a no-deal Brexit.

A no-deal Brexit would jam British ports, leading to shortages of food, medicine and fuel, the latest British government report suggests.

Leaked to The Sunday Times, the forecast warned that 85% of lorries using the main crossings between England and France "may not be ready" for French customs.

The report, codenamed Operation Yellowhammer, said disruption at ports could last for three months, causing a decrease in the fresh food supply. It says this could potentially lead to panic buying.

The fresh warning comes as British Prime Minister Boris Johnson attempts to force Brussels to reopen negotiations on the Brexit deal agreed with his predecessor Theresa May. Johnson has insisted that the UK will leave the EU on October 31 with or without a deal.

Fuel supplies affected

The report predicted that border delays would lead to severe traffic disruption especially around the British capital, London, and southeastern England, which could affect the distribution of fuel.

It also warned that a no-deal Brexit would impact the supply of medicines and medical supplies, many of which arrive in the UK from the European mainland.
=D> :lol: \:D/ =D> :lol:
London calling to the imitation zone
Forget it, brother, you can go it alone
London calling to the zombies of death
Quit holding out and draw another breath
This is highly entertaining.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » August 19, 2019, 7:37 pm

“Then, once it had got that under way and set, it would call an election probably or resign and let’s see if parliament could form a party government of any kind that took it all forward and started resuming other politics.”

(September 3, 2019)

The date on which the Commons is likely to return from summer recess. It is the first date that MPs could hold a vote of no confidence in the new prime minister. However, rebel MPs would need to be confident they could form an alternative government, as many wish to avoid triggering an election.

(September 12, 2019)

Mps would be due to go on conference recess - but could continue to sit if a no-confidence vote had been lost.

(September 17, 2019)

Assuming the government has lost a confidence vote, this would be the deadline for Labour or any unity government to win a confidence vote. If not achieved, Boris Johnson would call an election. Parliament could then be prorogued.

(September 22, 2019)

The Labour and Conservative party conferences are due to be held on consecutive weeks.

(September 27, 2019)

Parliament would be dissolved if an election were to be held on 1 November.

(October 17, 2019)

EU leaders meet for the final European council summit before the UK's extension is due to expire. Rebel Tories and remainers may choose to call a no-confidence vote if an extension is not offered as a way of preventing no deal.

(October 31, 2019)

The six-month article 50 extension will expire.

(November 1, 2019)

The UK could hold a general election.

Conservative MPs came under heavy pressure on Friday to distance themselves from Corbyn’s proposal. The former justice secretary David Gauke tweeted: “If anyone thinks the answer is Jeremy Corbyn, I think they’re probably asking the wrong question.”

Other independent MPs also came out swinging against the Labour leader. Anna Soubry, the former Tory MP who now leads the Independent Group for Change, said her five MPs “will not support nor facilitate any government led by Jeremy Corbyn. He cannot command unity of support amongst his own MPs, but now Jeremy Corbyn calls on the rest of us to back him as ‘unity’ prime minister,” she said. “And we won’t even get a people’s vote, but instead a general election, which as we know will solve nothing.”

Related: ‘National Unity’: the fantasy flick that will never make it out of development | Marina Hyde

Cable said Corbyn must now set out his plan B if he could not command a majority himself. “It would be up to the House of Commons to decide who a caretaker prime minister put in place to stop a no-deal Brexit would be,” he said.

“This is not about party leaders, but getting a group together to stop no deal. It is clear Jeremy Corbyn cannot command that majority in the house. I urge him to do the right thing and confirm that if he cannot, he will support someone who can.”

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/sadiq-khan-li ... 18717.html

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » August 20, 2019, 1:58 am

Giggle wrote:
August 19, 2019, 6:48 pm
... This is highly entertaining.
"Interesting" is the word I use. Is the British state capable of managing Brexit well? I suspect not.

I think the EU has to some degree protected the UK from its own even worse political mismanagement. The British public is about to be exposed to their under-performing politicians. Johnson has been savaged in reviews of his career in the US traditional media. Hopefully for the Brits that analysis is completely wrong. It looks like we're about to find out.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » August 20, 2019, 8:55 am

"Interesting" is the word I use. Is the British state capable of managing Brexit well? I suspect not.

I think the EU has to some degree protected the UK from its own even worse political mismanagement. The British public is about to be exposed to their under-performing politicians. Johnson has been savaged in reviews of his career in the US traditional media. Hopefully for the Brits that analysis is completely wrong. It looks like we're about to find out.
[/quote]

I find it quite amusing that someone from another Country thinks that the UK Government does not manage its own affairs. Have we needed EU approval to support the USA in 2 wars?, do we not make up our own criminal/civil laws? Do we set our own taxes? Do we set our own social services expenditure?
The EU is basically a protectionist dictatorship that now believes it is a Country with its own National Anthem and National Flag. It is starting to believe it is the same as the USA with the states still having a state legislation but Federal law takes precedence. This is why they call member Countries states even though these Countries have existed as self governing Nations for many years (some as long as hundreds).
Its interesting that the USA MSM can comment on BJ's career when most people outside of the USA could not name one person apart from Donald the Great who have helped Govern the USA into the position it is now in. Those politicians who help close down the Government for weeks at a time etc. Pot and kettle comes to mind.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 20, 2019, 1:49 pm

Hes bored again . :roll:

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » August 20, 2019, 2:49 pm

saint wrote:
August 20, 2019, 1:49 pm
Hes bored again . :roll:
If you referring to me Saint, no not bored. Just don't like foreigner's announcing to this forum that we, the UK, cannot look after ourselves without the mighty EU propping us up. How would New Zealanders react if someone stated that beautiful Island could not survive without Aussie input?. The source of most of the foreigners information comes from the BIASED MSM and bar talk with no doubt the great British hater Laughing Boy having an input. If we are such a wee dumb assed Country why on earth are the EU trying desperately to hang on to us. I will not even mention the fact that the arch dictator Herr Vonholfstadt has been recorded verbally confirming they, the EU are "Buying support from MP's". OOP's. :razz: Despite whatever obstacles are put in Great Britain's way, we will survive and prosper without them.

Return to “U.K.”