EU in or out? Brexit: The Movie

kulsungkham
udonmap.com

Post by kulsungkham » June 30, 2016, 9:17 am

Lone Star wrote:
kulsungkham wrote:If you’re legally minded this might be of interest to you.

The outcome of the recent referendum for Britain to leave the European Union was merely advisory and new legislation would be required to quit the European Union.

British MPs must now pass a new bill in the Commons to repeal the 1972 European Communities Act, which took the UK into the European Union. Clearly, the people who voted to leave will be upset considering that the majority of MPs voted to ‘remain’ but the fact is democracy in Britain doesn't mean majority rule... it's the representatives of the people, not the people themselves, who vote for them that controls the legislature otherwise mob rule would ensue.

Just a thought..!
Legally minded vs ethically minded. It's a contest only for those who don't like the outcome.

So now it's okay if the elected representatives of the People ignore the vote of the People? What if the election had gone the other way? Would it be okay in that instance for the the Parliament to ignore the People and vote to leave the EU without regard for the vote?

You're concerned about an election that creates mob rule through pure majority democracy, but you're in favor of ignoring the People, which could create an angry mob of millions of voters who have been ignored? What kind of precedent would that set?

That is a wish for upheaval and anarchy.
The British Parliament had to vote for the 1972 European Communities Act to join the European Union it must now following its own rules pass an Act of Parliament which would need to be verified by the Lords to leave the European Union, especially as the recent referendum was not legally binding but advisory on Parliament to do so. It certainly presents a problem in that it is difficult to ignore the Will of the people over and above the constituted law, is this a recipe for upheaval and anarchy quite possibly.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 30, 2016, 8:51 pm

Boris Johnson pulls out of the race to be PM

Justice Secretary Michael Gove and Home Secretary Theresa May lead a five-way race to be the next Conservative Party leader and UK prime minister.
Mr Gove was a surprise addition to the race, having been expected to back Boris Johnson, who shocked the political world by ruling himself out.
Minister Andrea Leadsom, MP Liam Fox and Work and Pensions Secretary Stephen Crabb are also in the running.
The winner of the contest is set to be announced on 9 September.
The leadership battle has been sparked by David Cameron's decision to step down as prime minister after losing the EU referendum, which saw the country vote by 52% to 48% to leave the EU.
PM Boris.png
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

rreddin
udonmap.com

Post by rreddin » June 30, 2016, 9:21 pm

You sound surprised by the announcement, but let's face it, neither Boris nor Gideon could unite the Tories. The cynic in me thinks Boris is biding his time until whomever takes on the poisoned chalice is cast aside in the way only the Tory party can do and then, cometh the hour; cometh Boris! That sounds like a plan, but will it work out that way?

mally
udonmap.com

Post by mally » June 30, 2016, 11:58 pm

Well, everybody on the EU side is spouting Hate and Threats (to stop any other Country following the UK to the Exit Door), the Bankers and Market Dealers are using it to make a quick profit and to hell with anybody who may get hurt on the way, (no surprise there!). EU beurocrats are trying to protect the empires they have built for themselves. BUT, they all realise they have to sort this out if they're going to save their own economies as well as the UK's (a broke UK cannot buy Champagne, and German cars).
Quick prediction by me - May to be PM, (Girl on Girl talks with Merkel will be an advantage).
A deal will be reached on trade - the stumbling block on free movement will be a compromise, Access to the market in exchange for Free Movement for Tourists and (crucially) those coming as Workers. Not allowed will be the Benefit Immigrants with UK being now able to refuse benefits for those who don't have a job on arrival.
Health Insurance will be required with free access to the NHS being restricted to those who have paid into the system for a number of years (4 ?), and likewise for UK people going to the EU.
Existing EU / UK citizens already working or retired in the "other side" will have their existing rights protected.
All other bits can be worked out.... result ! Everybody happy (ish), and no one loses the all important Political Face !

tinpeeba
udonmap.com

Post by tinpeeba » July 1, 2016, 1:25 am

pipoz4444 wrote:Whilst I don't normally agree with what Nigel Farage says, finally someone has got up in the EU Parliament and said to the EU Tossers, what should have been said a long time ago. "That they (those in the EU Parliament) are F...kn useless bunch of "Bureaucratic *******" - Well he didn't actually say that, but reading between the lines, he inferred the same [-o< \:D/

Nigel Farage, wouldn't be my pick for your next PM, but to coin a phrase, "He calls a Spade a Spade".

Pity you Poms didn't have another Maggie Thatcher around, as she would have been more outspoken to the "EU Twats". Yes some might also consider Nigel, a **** as well. =D> \:D/

pipoz444
Farage at the EU.jpg
Farage at the EU

rreddin
udonmap.com

Post by rreddin » July 1, 2016, 9:28 am

mally wrote:Well, everybody on the EU side is spouting Hate and Threats (to stop any other Country following the UK to the Exit Door), the Bankers and Market Dealers are using it to make a quick profit and to hell with anybody who may get hurt on the way, (no surprise there!). EU beurocrats are trying to protect the empires they have built for themselves. BUT, they all realise they have to sort this out if they're going to save their own economies as well as the UK's (a broke UK cannot buy Champagne, and German cars).
Quick prediction by me - May to be PM, (Girl on Girl talks with Merkel will be an advantage).
A deal will be reached on trade - the stumbling block on free movement will be a compromise, Access to the market in exchange for Free Movement for Tourists and (crucially) those coming as Workers. Not allowed will be the Benefit Immigrants with UK being now able to refuse benefits for those who don't have a job on arrival.
Health Insurance will be required with free access to the NHS being restricted to those who have paid into the system for a number of years (4 ?), and likewise for UK people going to the EU.
Existing EU / UK citizens already working or retired in the "other side" will have their existing rights protected.
All other bits can be worked out.... result ! Everybody happy (ish), and no one loses the all important Political Face !
Sounds similar to some of the things David Cameron was asking for and was told he could not have. Mrs Merkel and her chums may have a different attitude now.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 1, 2016, 11:37 am

Personally,I think its quite a smart move by the revered (or is it reviled) Boris not to stand for leader of the Conservatives and PM.
If things went horribly wrong in the complex negotiations with the EU and white Brits started moving to Pakistan or North Africa,for a better life,in the future then his political career would be finished.
Of the prospective candidates for the job,I think Stephen Crabb is the stand out one but he wont win.
He's young,he's smart,doesnt appear to have any political enemies and could bring the bumbling Tories into the 21st century at last.
Of the rest....well,I think Roy Hodgson could do a better job !
Theresa May will likely win but she comes across as a bit of a flapper (certainly no Maggie Thatcher) and I fear the pressure of the job will prove too much for her hormones,poor dear !
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 1, 2016, 1:30 pm

Justin Trudeau should be the Prime Minister. A columnist in the New York Times suggested Britain should become part of Canada. I can't see Brits becoming Australians. :D
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 1, 2016, 1:56 pm

GT93 wrote:Justin Trudeau should be the Prime Minister. A columnist in the New York Times suggested Britain should become part of Canada. I can't see Brits becoming Australians. :D

After reading this story, I doubt he'd be acceptable.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/world ... ugees.html

Well done, to all Canadians on Canada Day and always.

kulsungkham
udonmap.com

Post by kulsungkham » July 2, 2016, 11:51 am

Not forgeting the gravitus of remembrance I am appalled at the French President's François Hollande's remarks whilst remembrance proceedings were being carried out regarding the battle of the Somme to step up the pressure on the UK over its timetable to leave the EU, insisting that Brexit cannot be cancelled or delayed, and that Britain will have to live with the consequences, a comment which is well known to be for French public consumption more than anything elsewhere due to his own political career shortly coming to an end.

However, I note that he wants to keep all the military arrangements in place for security purposes, well Mr. Hollande your either in with us or not, it is not you that dictates to us.

Mr. Hollande you have never been a constructive politician but typically a moaner, whinger and complainer, I think you must look to your own backyard before trying to dictate to others... N est ce pas

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 2, 2016, 2:36 pm

Lone Star wrote:- "You're concerned about an election that creates mob rule through pure majority democracy, but you're in favor of ignoring the People, which could create an angry mob of millions of voters who have been ignored? What kind of precedent would that set?

I think those of us that have been in udon a few years can answer that one :-k

BTW the British govt have been ignoring the will of the majority for more years than I can remember ..... the legal ?? term is I believe "parliamentary boundary changes" :-"

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 2, 2016, 3:46 pm

Conf.jpg

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 2, 2016, 9:20 pm

Well Boris withdrew after Brutus Gove put the knife in and slagged off Boris, then announced his candidacy 5 minutes later. With friends like him who needs enemies? Gove won't get PM though.

MrFixer
udonmap.com

Post by MrFixer » July 2, 2016, 10:48 pm

Farage really is a complete ######.
The circus act he put on in the EU Parliament was for the benefit of his UK followers, but it was seen around the world including by people making important business and investment decisions. Never mind that those sat around him ('who have never done a proper job in their lives') included an army general, a molecular biologist, a heart surgeon, a couple of economics professors, a computer scientist who founded a big IT company etc...
He's now threatening to fire Douglas Carswell - his one MP.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 2, 2016, 10:56 pm

rick wrote:Well Boris withdrew after Brutus Gove put the knife in and slagged off Boris, then announced his candidacy 5 minutes later. With friends like him who needs enemies? Gove won't get PM though.
Not sure who CAN get PM Rick :-k

50% lost the vote so cant be PM
50% have been proven to have deliberately miss led the voters so cant be PM

Might as well become the 52nd (or 53rd whatever) state and let Maggie FINALLY sleep easy in her grave :fryingpan:

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 3, 2016, 8:38 am

MrFixer wrote:Farage really is a complete ######.
The circus act he put on in the EU Parliament was for the benefit of his UK followers, but it was seen around the world including by people making important business and investment decisions. Never mind that those sat around him ('who have never done a proper job in their lives') included an army general, a molecular biologist, a heart surgeon, a couple of economics professors, a computer scientist who founded a big IT company etc...
He's now threatening to fire Douglas Carswell - his one MP.
It was great political theatre. Quite a performance and as you state he wasn't letting facts get in the way of a good political line. It is odd though that an obnoxious chap such as Farage is at the end of the day advancing the democratic line.

I think Farage now has a large international audience. He's almost the most prominent British politician given Cameron is fading away and Corbyn doesn't really stand up on some big issues. Foreigners are now having to read up on May, Leadsom, Gove etc. But we know Nigel. :D
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 3, 2016, 6:41 pm

Watch Me!!

MrFixer
udonmap.com

Post by MrFixer » July 3, 2016, 10:12 pm

I think Nigel will slowly fade away. The referendum was called to resolve issues within the Tory party. Not because of Farage. Farage was popular with the media but I am not sure how many people took him seriously - remember that he tried to get elected as an MP seven times in six different constituencies, without success. He was not part of the Leave campaign and the UKIP MP Doug Carswell repeatedly distanced himself from Farage. I think Boris had a much greater impact.
At the end of the day Farage is the millionaire son of a stockbroker, educated at a top-ten private school, with an immigrant ex-wife and an immigrant wife. He's never really had a 'proper job' (worked as a commodities trader and then politician for the last 17 years - bankrolled by wealthy businessmen and the taxpayer). Member of the East India Club. With this background he rages against immigrants, 'the establishment' and politicians.
He was very much a single issue politician and now the issue is resolved. Given his last speech to the EU I can't imagine anybody wanting him to be involved in exit negotiations.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 6, 2016, 1:21 pm

Well, Nigel has resigned. retired. Guess no-one wants the blame for the next few years. And as the world wakes up to the fact UK has a PM who has announced his resignation, an opposition which has called on their leader to step down, and no plan of what to do next, the pound will continue to slide - down below $1.30 yesterday at one point. Where will it end?

MrFixer
udonmap.com

Post by MrFixer » July 6, 2016, 1:40 pm

£1 = $1.16 at end of September is one prediction.
UK has large current account and fiscal deficits and needed the EU much more than the EU needed UK. An economy can't be propped up with soundbites and slogans.
I think expats should be planning for a ฿40 = £1 future. Possibly less.

Return to “U.K.”