Bored with active reserve status? Let's assault democracy.

tamada
udonmap.com

Bored with active reserve status? Let's assault democracy.

Post by tamada » January 16, 2021, 7:59 am

A couple of generations ago, a lot of young servicemen that came back from Vietnam were reviled by society and had to fight for what was owed them by their government for serving their country.

Some returning warriors of more recent wars, be they supply clerks or gate security detail, appear to think that they are owed something greater? I mentioned in another thread about how I always thought that arbitrarily placing police, firemen and military on some form of all-embracing "hero" pedestal would have consequences. A whole new generation of post-military, societal misfits beckons and they're better trained and more easily armed too.

Queue a whole lot of PTSD defences.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/dozen-militar ... d=75278680
Last edited by tamada on January 16, 2021, 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Bored with active reserve status? Let's assault democracy.

Post by jackspratt » January 16, 2021, 8:17 am

"Hero" has been the most over-used, and inappropriately used word of the 21st century. But it is a great attention getter in the media, and can warm the hearts of those who can't think any deeper.

People who sign up voluntarily for a paid job are not (IMO) "heroes" by dint of merely that job, or putting on a uniform.

That doesn't mean they can't be a hero if they actually do something heroic.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 16, 2021, 8:31 am

jackspratt wrote:
January 16, 2021, 8:17 am
"Hero" has been the most over-used, and inappropriately used word of the 21st century. But it is a great attention getter in the media, and can warm the hearts of those who can't think any deeper.

People who sign up voluntarily for a paid job are not (IMO) "heroes" by dint of merely that job, or putting on a uniform.

I guess that places you firmly in the "Rush Limbaugh didn't deserve any Medal of Freedom" camp as well? At least it wasn't a Nobel Peace Prize.

I think Dubya was the one that really kicked off this dumbing down of the psyche by handing out hero status like lollies. Blair followed suit but I guess they had to after kicking off or agreeing to so many (still) pointless wars.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » January 16, 2021, 8:51 am

The two words I am sick of hearing the last four years are "Hero" and "Patriot". These words have lost their meaning these last few years the way that have been thrown around and used.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » January 16, 2021, 9:46 am

I find the word “legend” is also losing its meaning.
It used to describe someone historical who was particular famous &/or notorious. Now it’s someone who returns from buying a round at the bar & brings peanuts.

(Disclaimer: this would be when we could go to bars)
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 16, 2021, 2:22 pm

jackspratt wrote:
January 16, 2021, 8:17 am

Iagree I harken back to the days of Rorkes Drift, Falklands where some Victoria Crosses were awarded, those are damn hard to come by and in many cases issued after the recipient has died .
Ordinary folk doing their job are not heroes by any stretch of the imagination, but recently the OUTSTANDING work done by Nursing staff and others in the NHS deserve at least Letters of commendation .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 16, 2021, 2:43 pm

^ or the room mate who goes out to get some beer and comes back with the beer and two hookers.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » January 16, 2021, 3:05 pm

Nah, that's just a really good and courteous friend.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 16, 2021, 4:07 pm

Niggly wrote:
January 16, 2021, 9:46 am
I find the word “legend” is also losing its meaning.
It used to describe someone historical who was particular famous &/or notorious. Now it’s someone who returns from buying a round at the bar & brings peanuts.

(Disclaimer: this would be when we could go to bars)
It should be noted by non brits that outside Yorkshire (and Scotland) it is quite common for someone to return from the bar with peanuts/crisps and occasionally pork scratchings :lol:

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » January 16, 2021, 5:06 pm

Busted 🤗
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Return to “U.S. Politics”