Carpet Layer

peterk
udonmap.com

Carpet Layer

Post by peterk » January 8, 2024, 6:52 pm

House to be complete around April 2024. Carpeting one room only, about 17 square metres onto cement floor. Will buy carpet, underlay and grippers. Would appreciate help from experienced layer.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Carpet Layer

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 10, 2024, 10:52 am

Although I have lived in carpeted houses for over 60 years I would never use carpet in Thailand. Apart from any other concerns underlay foam will deteriorate quite quickly
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 10, 2024, 2:03 pm

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

peterk
udonmap.com

Post by peterk » January 19, 2024, 7:37 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
January 10, 2024, 10:52 am
Although I have lived in carpeted houses for over 60 years I would never use carpet in Thailand. Apart from any other concerns underlay foam will deteriorate quite quickly
Thanks Jerome. It's for a small music studio, so need a sound absorbing floor. Why do you say the underlay will deteriorate?

peterk
udonmap.com

Post by peterk » January 19, 2024, 7:38 am

tamada wrote:
January 10, 2024, 2:03 pm
Maybe need to ask these folks?

https://carpetthailand.com/installing-w ... l-carpets/
Thanks Tamada. I'll give them a shot. Present position is to buy ex Bangkok and pay about same amount for the installer to come from there also. Quite expensive, and it's a very straightforward, small job. Hence I was hoping there might be a locally based carpet layer.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 19, 2024, 8:32 am

peterk wrote:
January 19, 2024, 7:37 am
Thanks Jerome. It's for a small music studio, so need a sound absorbing floor. Why do you say the underlay will deteriorate?
Long experience of living here, it is virtually impossible to predict the items that will survive and those that don’t, but the kind of material that underlay is made of is exactly the kind that may and has deteriorated.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 19, 2024, 9:21 am

January 19, 2024, 8:32 am
peterk wrote:
Long experience of living here, it is virtually impossible to predict the items that will survive and those that don’t, but the kind of material that underlay is made of is exactly the kind that may and has deteriorated.
I would defer to the guys at carpetthailand on the underlay question. They may have already kitted out a sound studio or two. There's a good chance there are modern or imported products that address the heat and humidity issues here. What was the only choice say 20 years ago may no longer be applicable. Although Thailand was traditionally a parquet versus ceramic flooring when I first built a house here, other hardwoods and laminates some locally produced, are available nowadays and the grades of tiles has diversified.

Since the studio will be low-traffic, I reckon it will work out fine.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

peterk
udonmap.com

Post by peterk » January 19, 2024, 10:32 am

peterk wrote:
OK, thank you for the heads up!

peterk
udonmap.com

Post by peterk » January 19, 2024, 10:36 am

tamada wrote:
January 19, 2024, 9:21 am
peterk wrote:
I would defer to the guys at carpetthailand on the underlay question. They may have already kitted out a sound studio or two. There's a good chance there are modern or imported products that address the heat and humidity issues here. What was the only choice say 20 years ago may no longer be applicable. Although Thailand was traditionally a parquet versus ceramic flooring when I first built a house here, other hardwoods and laminates some locally produced, are available nowadays and the grades of tiles has diversified.

Since the studio will be low-traffic, I reckon it will work out fine.
Thank you. Yes, the house is super insulated, and the slab is extremely thick. I think it won't be affected by the local conditions too much. I'll see how these guys come up. I'm happy with Express Carpets at CDC Bangkok so far, but the $ is quite high for one small room

Baht Man
udonmap.com

Post by Baht Man » February 27, 2024, 4:17 pm

I bought 4 smaller pieces in BKK loooong time ago. They glued um up and sent them here. I used the red underlayment that's used in alot of places to make it easier to stand. Thik I got it at one of the big box stores in Udon. Still good as day one.
The more hair I loose, the more head I get.

David Chop
udonmap.com

Post by David Chop » February 28, 2024, 8:11 am

peterk wrote:
It's for a small music studio, so need a sound absorbing floor. Why do you say the underlay will deteriorate?
One word: Homasote.
American brand name, sorry I don't know the Thai equivalent, but it's a great material for studios. In addition to its sound deadening qualities it's commonly used as a concrete slab overlayment before laying carpet/carpet+pad to both soften up the hard surface and to act as a moisture barrier. More moisture ("humidity") wicks up through concrete than people generally realize, and Homasote addresses this nicely. The humidity from above? I got nothing for you on that. Ask the carpet guys. :)

peterk
udonmap.com

Post by peterk » February 28, 2024, 9:38 am

David Chop wrote:
February 28, 2024, 8:11 am
peterk wrote:
It's for a small music studio, so need a sound absorbing floor. Why do you say the underlay will deteriorate?
One word: Homasote.
American brand name, sorry I don't know the Thai equivalent, but it's a great material for studios. In addition to its sound deadening qualities it's commonly used as a concrete slab overlayment before laying carpet/carpet+pad to both soften up the hard surface and to act as a moisture barrier. More moisture ("humidity") wicks up through concrete than people generally realize, and Homasote addresses this nicely. The humidity from above? I got nothing for you on that. Ask the carpet guys. :)
Thank you David and Baht Man for your advice!

We have since found that the cabinet / wardrobe installers are able to do the installation. We will buy the standard rubber underlay from the carpet supplier. I'm hoping all will be OK 😬

Return to “I'm Looking For....”