Water cooler

tamada
udonmap.com

Water cooler

Post by tamada » August 28, 2021, 7:46 am

Anyone know where the CHEAPEST standard 5-gallon, top-loading water coolers are to be had? Just need the cooler, no need for hot water. That's what kettles are for!

Mrs tam advises that the water cooler at mi casa is leaking and the two spare units aren't much better. I guess I have some o-rings to change when I FINALLY get out of Kabul. She's had a look at the stores in and around Udon and reckons they're all paeng. I had a look online at U-buy and she's not wrong! Why have these all become so expensive?

Anyway, if anyone has an extra one for sale that doesn't leak, let me know. Can collect.

Ta
tam

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Water cooler

Post by Khun Paul » August 28, 2021, 8:13 am

I had one years ago that went into problem mode and after discovering the problems in fixing it ( no parts ) opted for another refrigerator which was just for drinks, be that Coke,water etc.
Okay of you do down the 5 gallon route, then decant into normal 1.5 litre bottles and use the fridge to keep it all cool , or change to buying packs of bottles more expensive maybe but certainly better quality water .

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » November 15, 2021, 9:12 pm

You have probably solved your problem by now Tam, but I'll throw in my two bobs worth anyhow for the benefit of later readers. I have gone down the track recommended by KP with two fridges. Our place is a split level design and the food fridge (OK, a little bit of water too) is downstairs in the Western style kitchen, and very close to the outside Thai kitchen nearing completion (photo from a week ago).
20211110_165353.jpg
The drink fridge for the beer, coke etc. is in the upstairs lounge room within arm's reach of my computer desk, and right beside the footy TV.
Here in the village 20 litre bottles of drinking water cost us 10 baht a pop delivered, and a new development for us has been the purchase of a small electric pump from Lazada (100 baht) which screws onto the top of the 20 litre bottles. It's battery charges thru a USB cable and it makes decanting an absolute breeze.
1636985211548.jpg

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 16, 2021, 7:26 am

I saw those bottle pump gizmo's and thought that would be handy but with a house full of cack-handed water pumpers here, I doubt anything costing 100 baht would last long. These buggers are too lazy to plug in their bloody phone chargers!

As it stands, I now have 3 water coolers of disparate age that go 'drip-drip' as Mrs tam tells me. Even the new one she panic-bought from HomePro went 'drip-drip' after less than a week but they replaced it free of charge.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 16, 2021, 8:58 am

I actually have two of those little pumps. The one at the kitchen is a couple years old and still works like a new one. It is used nearly every day. Both have rechargeable batteries.

The experts say that drinking room temperature water is better for you than cold water.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 16, 2021, 9:20 am

glalt wrote:
November 16, 2021, 8:58 am
I actually have two of those little pumps. The one at the kitchen is a couple years old and still works like a new one. It is used nearly every day. Both have rechargeable batteries.

The experts say that drinking room temperature water is better for you than cold water.
How many water suckers at casa glalt?

And a few billion Chinese will tell you hot water is better for you than room temperature water. Everyone's an expert.

Anyhoo, the dozen or so itinerant squatters at casa tam can knock themselves out with the cold water. I'm a bourbon man.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 16, 2021, 10:00 am

I dilute my bourbon with a mixture of soda water and Coke. All Coke is too sweet.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 16, 2021, 10:10 am

glalt wrote:
November 16, 2021, 10:00 am
I dilute my bourbon with a mixture of soda water and Coke. All Coke is too sweet.
Have you tried Blanton's bourbon? I find it's best diluted with more Blanton's.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 16, 2021, 11:52 am

tamada wrote:
November 16, 2021, 10:10 am
glalt wrote:
November 16, 2021, 10:00 am
Have you tried Blanton's bourbon? I find it's best diluted with more Blanton's.
I'm no expert but I do like bourbon. I have never seen that brand.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 16, 2021, 11:57 am

Makro has choices
our one has worked fine for years just cold water
occasionally needs switching off to defrost the ice build up
I will be buying another for down the farm

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 16, 2021, 1:51 pm

tamada wrote:
November 16, 2021, 9:20 am
glalt wrote:

And a few billion Chinese will tell you hot water is better for you than room temperature water. Everyone's an expert.

Anyhoo, the dozen or so itinerant squatters at casa tam can knock themselves out with the cold water. I'm a bourbon man.
As an afterthought, drinking room temperature water ius easier on your body as your innards only digests food or drink at normal body temperature, so if you drink cold you have to warm it up, hence when drinking lots of cold drinks you find you are sweating as the body works hard to digest COLD anything into a acceptable temperature for it to begin its journey down almost 10 metres of intestine .
But hey that is what I have been told

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » November 16, 2021, 6:03 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
November 16, 2021, 1:51 pm
tamada wrote:
November 16, 2021, 9:20 am
glalt wrote:

As an afterthought, drinking room temperature water ius easier on your body as your innards only digests food or drink at normal body temperature, so if you drink cold you have to warm it up, hence when drinking lots of cold drinks you find you are sweating as the body works hard to digest COLD anything into a acceptable temperature for it to begin its journey down almost 10 metres of intestine .
But hey that is what I have been told
More info in this link:
https://foothillsrehab.com/blog/cold-wa ... r-for-you/

BUT MOST IMPORTANT:::STAYING HYDRATED.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » November 17, 2021, 6:49 am

do the small bottle pumps work on all 20lt water botts or do you need a special lid , i had a quick look on Lazada and it said not for the type of bott we get delivered by the local water truck ...

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 17, 2021, 9:21 am

I bought the first one off Lazada, then a second one from them also, different brands. Both simply sit on top of the water jug. There are no threads or attachments. This causes no problems.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » December 8, 2021, 11:46 pm

Agreed glalt. I made a mistake in my earlier post where I said it screws on. In fact, as you said, it just sits on top of the bottle, so there is no issue there. Charges via a USB cable, and battery life is ... well, have had it for two months now and never had to recharge it

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » December 9, 2021, 7:29 am

i did buy 2 from lazada , at about 120 baht each with postage very happy with them , they pump quickly and as yet not needed to recharge , well worth the money .

Return to “I'm Looking For....”