getting the sofa reupholstered.

tamada
udonmap.com

getting the sofa reupholstered.

Post by tamada » July 29, 2020, 10:59 am

Our 10 year-old Index Mall, genuine leather, L-shaped, 2-piece sofa set needs recovering. The neighbors kid recommended a local shop and we dropped it off but the owner's son called and says his dad is sick. He say's it's too big a job as his dad was the chap that did the big items whilst the rest of the business is small stuff like chairs and bike and car seats.

So seeking a recommendation for an upholster who we can transfer this lot to. Location is no object as it fits in the pickup but prefer a business that has actually delivered a good reupholstering job. Failing that, the locations of businesses that members have spotted on their travels will work and we'll do the sleuthing.

Ta
tam

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Re: getting the sofa reupholstered.

Post by Brian Davis » July 29, 2020, 7:28 pm

There'a a place in Adunyadet Rd, which may be able to help. Perhaps 100-200 metre on the right, if you're coming from the junction with Wattana Nuwong Rd. I've certainly seen sofas in there and various materials stored.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 29, 2020, 11:09 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
July 29, 2020, 7:28 pm
There'a a place in Adunyadet Rd, which may be able to help. Perhaps 100-200 metre on the right, if you're coming from the junction with Wattana Nuwong Rd. I've certainly seen sofas in there and various materials stored.
Recently? I did find your post from maybe 4 or 5 years ago but the directions were a bit obscure but it would be good if they're still trading. I went down there and saw another small shophouse with a buggered sofa out front so maybe he moved across the street? It was on the left side heading south from Wattana Nuwong.
sofa so good.jpg

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » July 30, 2020, 5:48 am

I can't say I've been down there very recently and who knows what might be happening because of Covid. Yes, I think there were a couple of shops on the road dealing in upholstery. The shop I refer to was sort of 'two in one' - one unit the largish actual work area (plus the pavement!), several staff and industrial sewing machines, next to it a smaller unit with various materials racked up, large sponge fillings etc. I don't think it's the one in your photo, but I may be wrong. I'll try to take a look tomorrow when driving in for a scheduled school day.

Muni3
udonmap.com

Post by Muni3 » July 30, 2020, 8:43 am

There's a large workshop on the ring road, the same side & just before GLOBAL. If you're coming from the new overpass, it's on the left corner at the big stoplight. They did a good job on a massage chair for me a few years ago. Not easy project (lots of small pieces). There's finished work for sale as well as work in progress. Not sure if the have real leather but lots of other materials to choose from

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 30, 2020, 9:51 am

Muni3 wrote:
July 30, 2020, 8:43 am
There's a large workshop on the ring road, the same side & just before GLOBAL. If you're coming from the new overpass, it's on the left corner at the big stoplight. They did a good job on a massage chair for me a few years ago. Not easy project (lots of small pieces). There's finished work for sale as well as work in progress. Not sure if the have real leather but lots of other materials to choose from
I think that one has since shuttered. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I recall someone mentioning they did a great job on an office chair when they were trading.

So far I have found four small single shophouse businesses but they deal mostly in bike and car seats. The Adunyadet Rd shop gave a ballpark figure of 12,000 baht but we need to measure up the sofa set and provide pictures to get a better idea of price an turnaround.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 30, 2020, 1:02 pm

I’ve just passed a shop right at the traffic lights on the ring road by the corner of Big C. Looked mainly car & bike seats but there was a sofa just outside. This could be going in for recovering or just for people to sit on while waiting
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 30, 2020, 1:12 pm

Niggly wrote:
July 30, 2020, 1:02 pm
I’ve just passed a shop right at the traffic lights on the ring road by the corner of Big C. Looked mainly car & bike seats but there was a sofa just outside. This could be going in for recovering or just for people to sit on while waiting
That was the shop recommended by the chap who can't commit to our big sofa. Tiny shop and they look like they would be hard pressed to do a couple of cushions let alone a beast of a sofa. We will hit them up with pictures and dimensions later. Meanwhile, our tired old sofa is now back under the bike port... I have this overwhelming feeling that it will become a part of our yai's famous Isaan front-yard nonsense collections now that I have chopped down her nonsense tree.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 30, 2020, 3:00 pm

I had parts of the car upholstery replaced but fake leather and made a good job relatively cheap. The cost for all the car was going to be 4000 baht but as not genuine leather I didn't proceed. The shop is located in down town where there are several car accessories suppliers. Turn right at the gentleman's roundabout and half way up on the right hand side. If they can't another shop that does this type of service is located next door to EAK hospital

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 30, 2020, 3:54 pm

dunroaming wrote:
July 30, 2020, 3:00 pm
I had parts of the car upholstery replaced but fake leather and made a good job relatively cheap. The cost for all the car was going to be 4000 baht but as not genuine leather I didn't proceed. The shop is located in down town where there are several car accessories suppliers. Turn right at the gentleman's roundabout and half way up on the right hand side. If they can't another shop that does this type of service is located next door to EAK hospital
Checked the first shop out earlier. Says he's too busy for a big sofa job right now.

I will go check the one near AEK. Is that railroad side of AEK or towards the city? crawling along the curbside looking for a shop is perilous around there.

Ta
tam

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 30, 2020, 4:32 pm

Towards the city straight after the hospital entrance on the left

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » July 31, 2020, 8:55 am

There used to be a guy just up from ruysuk Hotel right on the corner of the global house traffic lights used to do car seats and other stuff,anyone know were he moved to? he used to do quality work

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » July 31, 2020, 9:57 am

I note that you may be going in a different direction (buying new), but I did look in on Adunyadet Rd again. The shop I'm referring to IS still operating. It's about 75m diagonally across from the shop you found, that would be northwards. There's a large red, long sign outside the shop. The front now looks a bit empty, but I understand the machinery is out the back of the shop. The guy had a swathe (correct word?) of leather or, more likely, imitation to peruse. His English not great, but he suggested IF you were interested, to bring a photo of the sofa and he could give a better estimate. I did take photos of the shop + business card, but seemingly too large to download.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 31, 2020, 10:23 am

Brian Davis wrote:
July 31, 2020, 9:57 am
I note that you may be going in a different direction (buying new), but I did look in on Adunyadet Rd again. The shop I'm referring to IS still operating. It's about 75m diagonally across from the shop you found, that would be northwards. There's a large red, long sign outside the shop. The front now looks a bit empty, but I understand the machinery is out the back of the shop. The guy had a swathe (correct word?) of leather or, more likely, imitation to peruse. His English not great, but he suggested IF you were interested, to bring a photo of the sofa and he could give a better estimate. I did take photos of the shop + business card, but seemingly too large to download.
Thanks for checking, still interested. Took some sofa pics already and just doing a drawing with dimensions.

The only thing I see on google street view and based on your 75 m north instruction is a double shop house that does awnings.

You don't have GPS on the phone? A quick way of making pictures smaller for emailing is to open the picture of the business card in your phone's photo browser than push whatever button does a screen capture. That image will be smaller, readable, postable and emailable.

Ta
tam

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » July 31, 2020, 11:05 am

The shop may do awnings too - I'm not sure. Technology is not my strongpoint - I'm one who has a 'phone for, um , phone calls. :lol:
The name of the shop in Thai is บริษัท วรจักร2014 จำกัด. This comes up on Google Maps. I think the GPS coordinates you want are 17.4081377, 102.7968587.
But once physically there, it would be difficult to miss it, particularly as the shop you found is fairly close to opposite.

Return to “I'm Looking For....”