Lightning conductor installation information

Muncher

Lightning conductor installation information

Post by Muncher » June 17, 2020, 11:26 pm

Hi,

Anyone ever have a lightning rod/conductor installed or could point me in the right direction? costs etc?

Thanks

bluejets
udonmap.com

Re: Lightning conductor installation information

Post by bluejets » June 18, 2020, 6:41 am

Installed a lightning system in a local hospital in Australia a few years back as part of a 1.5 million dollar electrical upgrade.
Cost for that particular unit with one antenna rod was around the $20,000 mark.
We do annual checks on the system and so far, after almost 10 years, not one strike has been tallied on the installed strike counter.
As original soil tests came back with a lower than required conductivity level, a series of bags of soil improver to amend the problem were also installed in and around the immediate area of the main ground rod.

As shown, actual direct strikes are not that common, whereas indirect strikes, ie those that come down the power line from a strike maybe 10 klms away are more likely to do harm to any of your electronic equipment and on a bad day, perhaps even take out your refrigerator or similar.
So with that in mind, properly installed switchboard surge protection equipment would be a much better option and possibly only for a $400 to $500 fee overall.
Then again, very few installations in Thailand have any proper;y installed earthing systems for the main supply so that would be an added extra.
6 sq mm cable routed to a 1500mm copper clad ground rod driven 1200mm into the soil for the surge diverters would be the normal expected. Thailand does not use stranded cable as we do in Aus but as long as the cable is copper, there would be no difference.
Diverters are available which will fit into an existing din rail board or can be surface mounted. There are a wide variety of indicators as there are diverters but the standard domestic units (60kA I think) have an integrated green indicator which turns red when kaput.
There are also 3 strike units at a larger cost naturally.
Attachments
SurgeDiv.jpg

Muncher

Re: Lightning conductor installation information

Post by Muncher » June 19, 2020, 12:15 pm

Many thanks, I appreciate the information

Return to “I'm Looking For....”