Fridge Repair Service In-Home

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Fridge Repair Service In-Home

Post by semperfiguy » January 2, 2020, 11:06 am

My Panasonic fridge has died. A very loud humming noise woke me up in the middle of the night. The compressor was very hot, the inside light was still working, but it was no longer cooling. It is 6 years old and no longer under any type of warranty. Does anyone have a recommendation for a repair service that can come to my home and diagnose/fix the problem? I really don't want it to be taken away for fixing since that leaves me wide open for a scam fix. I am also not able to transport it to a shop. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Last edited by semperfiguy on January 2, 2020, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: Needed: Fridge Repair Service In-Home

Post by Doodoo » January 2, 2020, 11:27 am

If the light were still on then the compressor will run
sounds like he switch

as for fixing it you could ask at the shop on the bottom floor of Old Big C to see if they will come out.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 2, 2020, 12:56 pm

I have no experience with these people.....but they do advertise for 'at home repairs'
http://kingairdee.lnwshop.com/article/2 ... 9%E0%B8%B5

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 2, 2020, 12:57 pm

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » January 2, 2020, 8:39 pm

Why not just contact Panasonic service to have a repairman come out to your house? I had a problem with a Hitachi fridge and they sent out a repairman to fix the problem. it was not under warranty.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 2, 2020, 9:17 pm

The start relay mounted on the connection to the compressor has burned out and possibly taken the adjacent thermal switch with it. Replacement parts about 80 baht at Amorn at Big C Phosri.

Make sure you get the right one though. Bring the dud with you to compare as they have 2-pin, 3-pin and 4-pin relays. They are out of stock on 2-pin ones at Amorn but I managed to find a used one at the last air conditioner repair shop open on the Kutchap road on New Years eve. Charged me 100 baht.... bloody highwayman IMHO but I didn't have much of an option did I? (and he knew it).

laksnrub
udonmap.com

Re: Fridge Repair Service In-Home

Post by laksnrub » January 3, 2020, 11:29 am

If the compressor is hot, that means its working, so the relays are not blown, more like the comp it self has blown the internal unit pump seals, it will turn on get hot, but won't pump the gas around the system, not repairable, even in thailand, they just replace the whole pump housing. The way there manufactured as a sealed unit makes it non repairable, it is worth a few baht for the oil and copper from the motor.

All you need now is a buddy and a big pickup to help you take to a shop for a quote, not happy go to the next shop, can't help you there, I drive a 3 wheel electric trike
Attachments
hermetic-comp.jpg
Quality is best done first

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 3, 2020, 3:20 pm

I have had 5 fridges die on me over my many moons in Thailand and only one required a new compressor and that was because it went underwater in Mrs tams flooded restaurant.

The last one that died, the big, 15 year-old kitchen one that I came home to on New year's Eve that wasn't cooling. The compressor was hot and the thermal switch insulation was burned brittle while the start relay was full of rattling bits... a sure sign that it's toast. Plugged on the 'new' bits and it's happily cooling and freezing all the wichety grubs, stinkfish and grass that my tribe can shove in it.

It's very, VERY easy for the local repair guy to say it needs a new compressor, charge you around 5000 baht after he installs a used one he recovered from someone elses cast off. That's why I recommend spending 80 baht on the DIY swap of the two external bits first.

laksnrub
udonmap.com

Post by laksnrub » January 3, 2020, 6:07 pm

tamada wrote:
January 3, 2020, 3:20 pm
I have had 5 fridges die on me over my many moons in Thailand and only one required a new compressor and that was because it went underwater in Mrs tams flooded restaurant.

The last one that died, the big, 15 year-old kitchen one that I came home to on New year's Eve that wasn't cooling. The compressor was hot and the thermal switch insulation was burned brittle while the start relay was full of rattling bits... a sure sign that it's toast. Plugged on the 'new' bits and it's happily cooling and freezing all the wichety grubs, stinkfish and grass that my tribe can shove in it.

It's very, VERY easy for the local repair guy to say it needs a new compressor, charge you around 5000 baht after he installs a used one he recovered from someone elses cast off. That's why I recommend spending 80 baht on the DIY swap of the two external bits first.
That's good to hear, and the first step to check if the thermal switch is broken, but the poster said he hears a loud humming noise, which usually says compressor pump blown, but then again the pump would not shut off if the thermal switch was blown , making the pump humming, but still cooling, the poster says no cooling, you can usually know if the thermal switch is broken as the pump will run non stop, 5 Baht says it's the pump

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » January 3, 2020, 6:57 pm

While everyone is talking swithes, compressor etc., it might also be lose of coolant (freon) as there would be no cooling but compressor would still run. Just my 2 baht worth as I'm no expert.

laksnrub
udonmap.com

Post by laksnrub » January 3, 2020, 7:52 pm

Stantheman wrote:
January 3, 2020, 6:57 pm
While everyone is talking swithes, compressor etc., it might also be lose of coolant (freon) as there would be no cooling but compressor would still run. Just my 2 baht worth as I'm no expert.
Yes a hole some where in the system good point

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » January 3, 2020, 8:33 pm

No need to get pissy about it

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » January 4, 2020, 10:20 am

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. I heard of a repairman in my village, so I arranged for him to come by this morning to take a look at the fridge. My wife had cleaned it out, so I plugged it back in this morning so the repairman could see what it looks like when its running hot. Strangely enough the unit is cooling perfectly, so we called off the repairman's visit. I can't figure that one out, but I'm grateful that I don't have to spend big money to repair it...at least for now. I'm thinking a Gecko or some other critter had something to do with it. Thanks again guys!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » January 5, 2020, 10:39 am

Stantheman wrote:
January 3, 2020, 6:57 pm
They're a sealed unit.
If it's lost freon then it has also sucked in gazonks of moisture and whatever contaminates.
Since not running and comp hot suggests comp is done for.
Since hot it will have contaminated not only the oil but the whole system with motor varnish or what-have-you.
Chuck it....these days not worth repairing, main reason being, you'll spend heaps and it'll fail again in a month or so.

Vanillaman1954

Post by Vanillaman1954 » August 10, 2022, 9:38 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
January 2, 2020, 11:06 am
My Panasonic fridge has died. A very loud humming noise woke me up in the middle of the night. The compressor was very hot, the inside light was still working, but it was no longer cooling. It is 6 years old and no longer under any type of warranty. Does anyone have a recommendation for a repair service that can come to my home and diagnose/fix the problem here? I really don't want it to be taken away for fixing since that leaves me wide open for a scam fix. I am also not able to transport it to a shop. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
That's encouraging to hear, and the first step is to determine whether the thermal switch is broken. However, the poster claimed to hear a loud buzzing sound, which typically indicates a compressor pump blowout. However, the pump would not shut off if the thermal switch were blown, causing the pump to hum while still cooling, and the poster claims there is no refrigeration when the thermoelectric swap is cracked.
Last edited by Vanillaman1954 on August 11, 2022, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » August 11, 2022, 7:10 am

fdimike wrote:
January 2, 2020, 8:39 pm
Why not just contact Panasonic service to have a repairman come out to your house? I had a problem with a Hitachi fridge and they sent out a repairman to fix the problem. it was not under warranty.
I did the same with Samsung about 10 years ago. They sent a repairman to the house. Had it fixed in an hour or two. Out of warranty.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 11, 2022, 6:36 pm

i have a cracking Thai fella who repairs fridges coolers , washing machines , watter pumps etc etc .. but was a bit confused by the post as it was a reply to a 2020 post re the topic.

anyway ..this guy based in Udon .. zero English so get the missus to call , done a load of stuff for us over the years .. 0868606888 / 0847439669.. no name but i call him Mr Dooyen Repairguyman

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Return to “I'm Looking For....”