Roto-rooter

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: Roto-rooter

Post by Doodoo » August 29, 2022, 4:45 am

Sorry I dont know anyone personally but one may check at Tool Pro also on the Ring Road and ask who they might recommend with the proper tools. They may carry the proper tools for rent /sale

Good luck

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » August 29, 2022, 8:18 am

Thanks Doodoo.

ToolPro is a weekly haunt of mine but somehow I never new they did rentals. I will stop by there this morning along with Global once my builder, my wife and I have a prejob meeting at 9am.

Saw this from Parrot as well post516456.html#p516456 so will have me wife call those numbers but since they are not mobile numbers in 2022, not too hopeful.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 29, 2022, 8:39 am

I called the second number on my post above 042-181-614 it's still in service and still near BoBae. Of all my years trying to decypher truck/store signs, this is the only guy I've seen who advertises as a Roto Rooter kind of guy.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 29, 2022, 9:20 am

Didnt mean to imply the Tool Pro rents but maybe something to check out

Good Luck

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » August 29, 2022, 11:34 am

Doodoo wrote:
August 29, 2022, 9:20 am
Didnt mean to imply the Tool Pro rents but maybe something to check out
Good Luck
Understood, no worries.
parrot wrote:
August 29, 2022, 8:39 am
I called the second number on my post above 042-181-614 it's still in service and still near BoBae. Of all my years trying to decypher truck/store signs, this is the only guy I've seen who advertises as a Roto Rooter kind of guy.
Thanks Parrot. My wife is calling them as we speak to find out more about their services.

Continuing the story...
This morning before the builder came back to discuss options I thought I would get a jump on things as yesterday he was murmuring about opening the entire floor to get to the drain as he was not very familiar with roots in drains.

About 7am, looking around my workshop to be inspired I found a piece of 1/2" PVC and a 45 deg elbow. I made a little deployment pipe to reach the root blockage about 2-3 ft deep at the 90 deg bend draining to my septic tank. The 1/2" PVC could handle a small drain snake and my pressure washer drain cleaner hose keeping them a little more rigid and directing them toward the blockage but would not fit my heavy duty toilet snake.
NOTE: I glued on the elbow just to be safe and not leave another obstruction down there.
PVCDeploy.jpg
By the time the builder arrived before 9am, I had broken through the root blockage with the pressure washer and was enjoying the nice smells emitting from the septic system when there is no toilet installed and no blockage. The root blockage was not much in length and less prolific than I had anticipated. I showed him and his team the tool I had assembled and how to use it so they could continue the cleaning and root material removal.

My wife translated the thought I had on his original install of the toilet with the drain not exactly below the toilet and the jury-rigged manor in which it was originally installed (resulting in the toilet being broken when removed and possibly providing a path for roots to reconnoiter for water sources). He didn't quite confess that it was not a good install by blaming another team but vowed to do it right this time.

Off I went to the shed and found 2 more original floor tiles so they could make the install correctly. I am reasonably confident this will be completed today so tomorrow I will send some copper sulfate down and kill any more roots nearby. I will also treat the other drain lines in the house just in case.

Lessons learned today:

1. A little bit of thought and YouTube knowledge can make one confident to persevere with the less intrusive solutions
2. My original builder although good hearted and earnest still needs a little guidance before jumping to the brute force attack.
3. I really need to put more effort into learning Thai :oops:
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 29, 2022, 12:06 pm

Thanks for following up on your thing'a'ma'jig. Where did you buy your copper sulfate? Any chance you can photo the bag/container?

Back in the day (pre-2000), I don't think you could buy a wax seal in Udon. Standard install was to cement the toilet to the floor. I think it's still the norm today (except when Westerners get involved).

As for 'learning Thai', every little bit helps, especially in situations like a plugged drain!

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » August 29, 2022, 1:52 pm

parrot wrote:
August 29, 2022, 12:06 pm
Thanks for following up on your thing'a'ma'jig. Where did you buy your copper sulfate? Any chance you can photo the bag/container?

Back in the day (pre-2000), I don't think you could buy a wax seal in Udon. Standard install was to cement the toilet to the floor. I think it's still the norm today (except when Westerners get involved).

As for 'learning Thai', every little bit helps, especially in situations like a plugged drain!
I found some on Lazada: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/500g1 ... 6353.html? and ordered that but will head out to Whatsadu later once the guys finish thinking I have seen the blue stuff there too in the past.

Last week in preparation for this project I ordered three different toilet wax rings from Lazada:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1612 ... em_title.1

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i3521 ... em_title.1

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1579 ... em_title.1

I did see a wax ring in Thai Watsadu last week too after ordering online.

I also bought a new American Standard toilet sort of knowing the old one would be broken since they get cemented in Thailand and I was getting desperate to fix it myself.

BTW turns out they did need to get pretty agressive with the deconstruction in the end to fix the poorly installed pipe
769461.jpg
769462.jpg
29-Aug-22 13-52-04.jpg
Glad I let them fix it instead of just me.
Benjamin Franklin

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » August 29, 2022, 2:00 pm

parrot wrote:
August 29, 2022, 12:06 pm

You can get Copper Sulphate from SPT pools delivered who advertise on the forum top left of home page.
It is 219 baht per kg.

see below
https://swimmingpoolsthailand.com/en/33-algicides

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 29, 2022, 6:31 pm

Epic dunny fix, good work! So the "root" of your problem was the roots of trees and shrubs close to the house spreading under the 'slab' over the years? The roots look thin but dense do assume it's the latter? What's the distance between the bushes and the drain?

I have an infrequent pong in the master ensuite and pretty confident that since the build was 15 years ago, it's rubbish cement commode-to-drain seal done without a wax ring. I fully expect breakages when removing the commode which would be a shame as it's a stylish Naam branded toilet that I got from St Mall when they were in business.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » August 29, 2022, 11:26 pm

tamada wrote:
August 29, 2022, 6:31 pm
Epic dunny fix, good work! So the "root" of your problem was the roots of trees and shrubs close to the house spreading under the 'slab' over the years? The roots look thin but dense do assume it's the latter? What's the distance between the bushes and the drain?
The builder reckons the roots come from a fair dinkum sized avocado tree 3-4 meters away but they could be from anywhere really (septic is only 2-3m distance). I was wondering why those avocados were so big this year.

I hear tell of the bloggers saying do in rome and let 'em cement them in per local custom and shut up but today I stood my western ground. Tomorrow, after cement is dry, under the tiles I will use a measure twice drill once attitude, use two studs, a wax ring and silicone instead of cement/grout to seal.

I do promise if things go wrong I will report but like I told the builder (via my wife) I want to be able to remove it with a spanner and a sharp knife without his entire crew and the inevitable break of the bog next time if more roots grow in.

BTW: They managed to break three more floor tiles somehow today and two wall facade tiles (likely with all the vibration BREAKING FRIGGIN CEMENT! Fortunately, I have enough spares in the shed from 2009 but only just, one spare left.

Sometimes the foot needs to come down even if the PVC isn't tall enough (I can't watch every move, see pic)
GuestToilet.jpg
Will drill 8mm stud holes with my measurements in the AM then wax ring, tighten and silicone it in. EDITs if it goes wrong, otherwise expect it went right.

Thanks to those offering suggestions and advice. Live and learn!

I'll try not to snivel if things go wrong but offer learnings forward instead. Hope someone got info here to reduce some stress or know they are right to require proper (or at least close) septic plumbing.
Benjamin Franklin

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » August 30, 2022, 12:36 am

Good luck with the final fix tomorrow.

When we moved into our house about 5 years ago the builder had not used a wax ring but also had not cemented in the toilet. Just screwed it to the floor and use silicon to seal it. Within a few days the stink was too much. Called our then go to guy and he turned up removed the toilet and identified no wax ring. He bought 2 and fixed both toilets (we'd not even used the second toilet at that point but guessed would be same result.)

Anyway reason for posting is your picture has got me totally confused (not hard to do!)

You have what looks like 3 supplies for the toilet? Looks like left one to the bum gun, middle one would go I to the toilet cistern, but what is the right one for?

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » August 30, 2022, 1:17 am

deankham wrote:
August 30, 2022, 12:36 am
You have what looks like 3 supplies for the toilet? Looks like left one to the bum gun, middle one would go I to the toilet cistern, but what is the right one for?
55 I was thinking after looking at me post that this may come up from someone with an eye for detail...

There are only two cold water sources there: bum gun (left) and cistern supply (right) but I had a cold water problem on the other side of that wall which is the master bathroom. Rather than solve the problem immediately when I had only myself as the tech, I simply sent the cold from this guest bath side (middle), I then isolated the master restroom cold valve at the fence line valve so the master only had hot (boiler supply) incoming. Hot was okay for a quick shower and double sink but the toilet and gun needed a cold source from another line or even more drilling.

Sounds like work, I know, but when you have a massive leak under the house and guests staying in a two washroom house, it makes more sense.

A few bits from the DIY shop and the right drill bits and I had an additional cold service line through the wall! I'm actually kind of happy with the job there.

555 Credits for picking up on that, Deankham! Now I have more flexibility in case of future leak in the wall but it is not the most conventional method. 55 That cold leak in the master shower was resolved yesterday after nearly a year. Yes, I am not a tile guy...
Benjamin Franklin

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » August 30, 2022, 2:15 am

Nice work around for sure! You must have a good set of drill bits and a better drill than me. I couldn't even drill 2 holes deep enough for my mail box. I still can't figure out why not unless I managed to hit exactly the middle of a piece of rebar, twice! Anyway, sorry I digress 😆

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » August 30, 2022, 8:09 am

Just an observation, did the roots gain access to your soil pipe directly under the toilet, if so job done. If not sure, is it not worth testing the pipe run for leaks to ensure no cracks further along its length.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » August 30, 2022, 11:14 am

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
August 30, 2022, 8:09 am
Just an observation, did the roots gain access to your soil pipe directly under the toilet, if so job done. If not sure, is it not worth testing the pipe run for leaks to ensure no cracks further along its length.
Yes, the original looked like this with the 4" PVC offset to the left too far to install the bog so they seem to have made a half-assed chute to the PVC that was not properly sealed to the 90 deg elbow roughly 50-60 cm down from the floor level. Roots look to have entered there and proceeded about 20 cm toward the septic tank which is only 2 meters away. They did make it right yesterday (albeit pretty close to the wall at 29 cm centre instead of 30 (or 1 ft out west).
GuestToiletOldHole.jpg
square hole, round hole, WTF

I understand your point. Most root issues seem to follow the pipe in search of water then make their way through the wax ring (in the west) then down into the drain from what my crash course on YouTube has taught me.

I wish I had more extra floor tiles as the master bath toilet likely has the same wrongly measured cobbled PVC/cement cute arrangement since they are literally back to back with a wall between them.

I may one day run a camera down there while it's fairly new just to see what is what now that I can easily remove the toilet without fear of breaking it since I forbade them from using cement or grout only wax ring/screws and silicon.
Benjamin Franklin

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » August 30, 2022, 5:01 pm

Sounds like you got it sorted, I'm no expert but I have unblocked, repaired, installed a few drains over the years, good luck.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 31, 2022, 2:28 pm

my poop sucking truck guys are pretty handy having a few tools to yank out root clusters up the PVC pipes. Of course, they charge accordingly. In our small guest house they actually carefully removed the cemented in toilet and cleared the roots out of the pipe.. The big mango tree behind the house got cut down after that...
Dave

Return to “I'm Looking For....”