Pataks vindaloo or Madras paste

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Pataks vindaloo or Madras paste

Post by vincemunday » July 26, 2017, 11:05 am

Hi, I'd be ever so grateful for a heads up should anyone happen across Pataks vindaloo or Madras curry pastes. I only really like vindaloo and Madras and the sauces are too mild but I'll buy them if I can't get the pastes, thanks.

Also, i stumbled across this website www.delishop.co.th they have some different bits.

The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

UdonThaniPete
udonmap.com

Re: Pataks vindaloo or Madras paste

Post by UdonThaniPete » July 26, 2017, 11:41 am

vincemunday wrote:
July 26, 2017, 11:05 am
Hi, I'd be ever so grateful for a heads up should anyone happen across Pataks vindaloo or Madras curry pastes. I only really like vindaloo and Madras and the sauces are too mild but I'll buy them if I can't get the pastes, thanks.

Also, i stumbled across this website www.delishop.co.th they have some different bits.
Vince, only place I have seen and bought them was in Tops, not sure if they stilll have but worth checking out.
A pessimist see’s a difficulty in every opportunity,
A optimist see’s an opportunity in every difficulty,
I am the latter.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 26, 2017, 12:05 pm

A month or so ago they had them everywhere including BigC, I just assumed it was a new stock item but obviously not, I should have bought a few back then. I have already checked TOPS, no luck there last time I looked.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » July 26, 2017, 1:09 pm

vincemunday wrote:
July 26, 2017, 11:05 am

Makro,spice section does biriani paste but salty and not very strong.im blessed with the gods.my tenant/neighbour gets the ingredients sent over and cooks them from scratch and drops the odd one in now n then.even though Thai curries are really nice you can't beat a good old bit of England's finest curries.balti,jalfrazi,madras,vindaloo.pompadoms,pickles.not forgetting the all famous chicken tikka masala.bet that's got a few mouths watering.lol.the gallery has Indian buffet night now n then.good stuff.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » July 26, 2017, 1:47 pm

I don't buy it often but when I do I usually get my Patak's curry sauces from Steve at T-Bar.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 26, 2017, 2:14 pm

I think Steve does sauces but he's also run down his dry goods section to nil, he just does frozen stuff now but I'll try him and see if he has any left, thanks.

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » July 26, 2017, 8:00 pm

Vince Tesco Extra had some Tesco madras sauces in jars today About 89bht i think..In the isle by the alcohol section.
Forgot to add they had branston baked beans at 48bht a tin ..

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 26, 2017, 8:09 pm

Hi Gary, thank you!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 26, 2017, 8:11 pm

Still on the lookout for Pataks if anyone sees it.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » July 27, 2017, 7:14 am

i know for sure Steve at Tbar has,nt got any or had any for 5/6 months , but Jon at Udon Tap told me the new
food outlet up there will be selling the " Pataks " curry sauces when its up and running ..... you could ask him
on his page if you want to find out when it opens ....

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 27, 2017, 10:35 pm

Hi Timmy, popped in to see Jon and he does indeed intend to stock Pataks and I've ordered some for when they come in. Thanks for the heads up, it's appreciated.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 3, 2017, 9:26 am

In the meantime, have you tried Geeta's pastes and sauces? Stock at TOPS seems to come and go and they may not have vindaloo or madras available at the time you check but they make excellent bases for the home-made curry aficionado. You can always adjust the hotness upwards by adding your own powders and don't forget the to add some garam masala which I reckon is the 'phong chu rot' of Indian cooking.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » September 3, 2017, 9:36 am

Hi, yes I've bought some but not used it yet, my mate Dave bought some Pataks for me when he came so I'll be using those first. When I first came here there were no pastes or sauces to be found anywhere so I shopped around and bought all the spices I need to make a curry from scratch and while they turned out okay they still weren't as good as the pastes. The way forward is to measure everything as I make a curry and get the recipe consistency right, I'm a bit too good at throwing a bit of this and a bit of that into a pan so it turns out different each time. Thanks for the info.

JASONTHAI

Post by JASONTHAI » March 8, 2020, 10:20 am

Bump any updates on this as I am looking to buy some next month when I pop up to Udon Thani

TheSportsBar
udonmap.com

Post by TheSportsBar » March 8, 2020, 8:14 pm

Try Lazada on Line, thats where i get mine from Jason

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 9, 2020, 7:23 am

Just checked Lazada and they want 298 baht a jar for the paste, that makes my 8 jars in the cupboard worth some serious dough lol, seriously, that’s a ridiculous price, bring some from the UK if you can and in the interim I’ll keep my eyes open and let you know if I see any.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » March 9, 2020, 11:48 am

If bringing from the uk it's best to buy the curry powders like shwartz approx 85gr.myself I bring east end curry powders you can buy on line and weight 1kg rather than 4-500gr for jars of paste. the kilo bags which are probably the equivalent of 20 jars of pataks and a lot cheaper.

Return to “I'm Looking For....”