Changing from Retirement to Marriage Extension.

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
mak
udonmap.com

Changing from Retirement to Marriage Extension.

Post by mak » January 16, 2024, 7:09 am

My last extension was based on retirement. Any special requirements to change to marriage extension?

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Re: Changing from Retirement to Marriage Extension.

Post by semperfiguy » January 16, 2024, 9:06 am

Double click to increase size of attachment.
Attachments
Marriage Extension Checklist2.PNG
Marriage Extension Checklist.PNG
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » January 16, 2024, 2:54 pm

It's a real pain in the ass. Retirement extension is so much easier, and much less intrusive.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 16, 2024, 8:51 pm

I did it because I had an O-A Retirement and was getting dunned for the mandatory health insurance.. I didn't find it particularly diffiuclt to do. Immigration had no issues with me doing it. After going through the paper rigamarole, witness, and a scheduled "home visit" it was done. Now, the only hoop I have to jump through that to me is tiresome is the mandatory 30 day "under consideration" wait before I get the stamp. Evidently the application along with bundled reams of others has to be reviewed in Khon Khean Immigration..
Dave

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 17, 2024, 8:30 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
January 16, 2024, 2:54 pm
It's a real pain in the ass. Retirement extension is so much easier, and much less intrusive.
That used to be true, however the, relatively new, financial requirements are a significant impediment to many
So make the choice rather different, and that doesn’t address the point that employment is an option for those on marriage extensions.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 17, 2024, 11:44 am

Quick question. How long do you need to have the 400K in a Thai bank. Not the first time which is explained clearly but third time. Is there any difference between first and subsequent applications.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 17, 2024, 1:29 pm

AlexO wrote:
January 17, 2024, 11:44 am
Quick question. How long do you need to have the 400K in a Thai bank. Not the first time which is explained clearly but third time. Is there any difference between first and subsequent applications.
It must be in the bank for at least 60 days on the date of application.

The rules say that you can then immediately withdraw it.

Prudence says that you should leave it until the extension is granted, a few people have been asked to show their bank book after application and before the extension is granted.

There is no difference on if it was the first or thirty first application.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 17, 2024, 1:45 pm

Okay, thank you.

tabanaac
udonmap.com

Post by tabanaac » January 18, 2024, 8:51 am

Just gone from visa on arrival to the marriage 1 year, lots of paperwork twice plus 2 visits to the house.
Needed 400k in the bank for 2 months prior to first application, was pending for a month, needed the 400k again.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 18, 2024, 9:19 am

tabanaac wrote:
January 18, 2024, 8:51 am
Just gone from visa on arrival to the marriage 1 year, lots of paperwork twice plus 2 visits to the house.
Needed 400k in the bank for 2 months prior to first application, was pending for a month, needed the 400k again.
Possible that you had a visa on arrival but very unlikely, the vast majority of entrants get Visa exempt entries.
You will have got a Non-O visa from immigration next (money in the bank on the day of entry only)
60+ days after that you will have applied for an extension (money in the bank for at least 60 days on the day of application)

The only thing that is unusual are the 2 visits to your house, other reports have only one.

tabanaac
udonmap.com

Post by tabanaac » January 18, 2024, 10:42 am

You are right was a visa exempt entry ( tourist visa)
I arrived in Thailand mid September mid Oct got the marriage started which include all the paperwork, witness and a follow up home visit , mid November went to immigration again and was going to change to retirement but was told cannot till next year so did the whole marriage one again. All the paperwork witness and another home visit.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 18, 2024, 4:42 pm

tabanaac wrote:
January 18, 2024, 10:42 am
You are right was a visa exempt entry ( tourist visa)
I arrived in Thailand mid September mid Oct got the marriage started which include all the paperwork, witness and a follow up home visit ,
This is standard
tabanaac wrote:
mid November went to immigration again and was going to change to retirement but was told cannot till next year
Again this is not unexpected since it is not clear if you had actually received your marriage extension.

tabanaac wrote:
so did the whole marriage one again. All the paperwork witness and another home visit.
This point is where it is a radical departure from what is usual, following the regulations, or you have not given enough information to understand the reasoning.

You should have received your marriage extension from your application in mid October, your subsequent application for a retirement extension was rejected it should not have caused you to need make a second application.

It is possible to change the reason for an extension, it is possible to do this before your current extension finishes though in most cases it is only done when extending at the usual time.

Having gone through the application to extend for marriage it is extremely difficult to understand why you would immediately try to change to a retirement extension you obviously have a reason but I can’t imagine what it is.
Usual reasons include:
Not wanting to wait, but you already were.
Not waiting to have an immigration visit: but you already had that.
Not wanting to complete the extra paperwork: but you already had.
Not wanting to submit photos: but you already did.
Not wanting to bother a witness: but you already had.
You wife not wanting to accompany you: but she already had.
Lastly
Not caring that you have to commit to a much larger financial commitment.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 18, 2024, 4:53 pm

STWW,
If you only have a wooden wall to bang your head against I can provide brick! 5555
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 19, 2024, 8:28 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
January 18, 2024, 4:53 pm
STWW,
If you only have a wooden wall to bang your head against I can provide brick! 5555
Some posters here provide the same opportunity

tabanaac
udonmap.com

Post by tabanaac » January 19, 2024, 10:02 am

Okay I am a newbie to this game.
This is what immigration demanded for changing from tourist to O.
My friend told me retirement easy so that is why i tried to change in October.
I can tell you I didn't want to do all this twice, but that is what was required.
So anyway done now for a year.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 19, 2024, 12:07 pm

Good info for those who may try a last-minute extension change at Udon immigration. It's possible that an Immigration office elsewhere may be more amenable a good lesson learned IMHO.

Some of our members use Nong Khai and Khon Kaen immigration so they may have a different experience.

Ta
tam
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » January 25, 2024, 7:29 am

mak wrote:
January 16, 2024, 7:09 am
My last extension was based on retirement. Any special requirements to change to marriage extension?
I should think the paper requirements would be the same, I’ve been on a marriage extension for 12 years, there is more paperwork than a retirement extension but once you’ve done it the first year keep a set for yourself and it’s copy the lot for the next. You need to hand in 2 complete sets. A lot of signatures on the day.

But there’s a couple of additions each year like updated bank book, the new bank letter, and a new Por Tor 2, must be signed within 7 days of application.

Paperwork includes

2 x application form, with photos
2 x passport papers, picture page, visa page, exit TM6 etc
2 x marriage certificate, front and back,
2 x Por Tor 2, original and copy,
2 x wife’s ID card
2 x wife’s change of name certificate, this has been given back not needed a few times
2 x house book
2 x yellow book, had this returned unwanted a couple of times
2 x map from house to Imm office
2 x photos, one set colour, one copy, pics of you and wife outside house showing house number, you and wife in your lounge, you and your wife in the bedroom… I’ve used the same ones for 12 yrs.
2 x bank book pages, all of them, only need the original bank letter, they copy it..
And original documents like marriage certificate, bank book, yellow book etc.
Oh and a witness… someone local who can vouch you live where you say you do, can’t be a family member.

Think that’s it…. On a good day the whole thing takes about 45 mins in front of an IO….

Put you off changing now eh Gus…..

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » January 25, 2024, 8:15 am

Other than the 400,000 baht less for registration, why would someone want to go from a Retirement Visa to a Marriage Visa?

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 25, 2024, 8:23 am

No. Over the past 25 years I've had 19 based on retirement and 6 based on marriage. Last year I had retirement, the year before marriage. This year I applied for a marriage extension. Declined. They gave me a retirement with a fee and a promise to give a marriage extension next year. First time I had a major problem. I believe the new colonel is behind these hiccups.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 25, 2024, 6:51 pm

New colonel, same-same old colonel, no? They all like to try it on or make some new, arbitrary rule. This is quickly taken on by the underlings on the front line who then use some arcane, random but ultimately unprovable method of choosing who to f**k with on any given day. For every applicant who happily endures the same unchallenging routine year-on-year, there's at least one who's gotten used to the annual performance art of filing for an extension.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”