Changing from Retirement to Marriage Extension.

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Changing from Retirement to Marriage Extension.

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 25, 2024, 7:58 pm

Doodoo wrote:
January 25, 2024, 8:15 am
Other than the 400,000 baht less for registration, why would someone want to go from a Retirement Visa to a Marriage Visa?
Apart from the fact that you a probably talking about an extension not visa

That would usually be influenced by the visa you had before deciding to switch to a marriage extension since anyone who had an OA visa is required to buy Thai insurance. There is also the point that you can legally work with a marriage extension.

There are significant differences between the 2, personal preferences along with the very significant financial differences are likely deciding factors.

Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » January 26, 2024, 9:52 am

I already know about the 400,000 so what are the "personal preferences"? you have mentioned.
This why I am asking
"personal preferences along with the very significant financial differences are likely deciding factors."

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » January 26, 2024, 10:04 am

Can I work in Thailand if I have a marriage visa? You mentioned " There is also the point that you can legally work with a marriage extension."
From "https://thethaiger.com/visas/retirement/"
"Given the extended periods during which you can remain in Thailand, it is normal to wonder if this visa allows you to work in the kingdom. The visa on its own does not permit you to work in Thailand. Holders of Thai Marriage Visas are however permitted to apply for a Thai work permit from the Ministry of Labour."

So am confused by tour reply

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 27, 2024, 6:11 pm

if there is a company or school wanting to hire you I'm sure they would assist and expedite getting you a work permit.
Dave

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 27, 2024, 7:59 pm

Doodoo wrote:
January 26, 2024, 10:04 am
Can I work in Thailand if I have a marriage visa?
Yes you can, though you also need a work permit and a job, you will find that your visa sticker does not have the “Employment Prohibited” wording under the “Remarks” heading nor is there any notation that it is a marriage visa, lt is just “Category” O. Since I have only had TS, TR, B and O from marriage visas I don’t know, but am confident that, the O visa from retirement has the “Employment Prohibited” wording under the “Remarks” heading. Both the several TS and the many TR visas are “Employment Prohibited”
Doodoo wrote:
January 26, 2024, 10:04 am

You mentioned " There is also the point that you can legally work with a marriage extension."
From "https://thethaiger.com/visas/retirement/"
"Given the extended periods during which you can remain in Thailand, it is normal to wonder if this visa allows you to work in the kingdom. The visa on its own does not permit you to work in Thailand. Holders of Thai Marriage Visas are however permitted to apply for a Thai work permit from the Ministry of Labour."

So am confused by tour reply
I don’t know what is confusing. As I said, and as they say, you can work if you have a marriage extension, you can not legally work with a retirement extension.

I do note however that the thethaiger.com site is not being correctly maintained as the rules for retirement finance are far from complete and the changes are a couple of years old now, so knowing that they haven’t been updated leaves a question as to the accuracy of all the other information
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on January 28, 2024, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 27, 2024, 8:15 pm

Doodoo wrote:
January 26, 2024, 9:52 am
I already know about the 400,000 so what are the "personal preferences"? you have mentioned.
Personal preference is by definition personal. I have heard of several different reasons given by different people for their choice of extension.

I make my choice, you make yours.

I don’t care which extension someone chooses and don’t usually give any advice about which is better unless someone gives enough background to make clear which one fits their case.

I do care if incorrect information is being given.

In the past there was a definite advantage to retirement extensions, today that is far from a given.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on January 28, 2024, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » January 27, 2024, 8:50 pm

Confused with what you are going on about.
. "You clearly have changed your extension a few times" Nope been on the same one for near 15 years How you decided that by my comment

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 28, 2024, 1:24 pm

Doodoo wrote:
January 27, 2024, 8:50 pm
Confused with what you are going on about.
. "You clearly have changed your extension a few times" Nope been on the same one for near 15 years How you decided that by my comment
My apologies I had read a comment that I mistakenly attributed it to you (I have now checked the poster was mak) I have modified my post to correct it.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”