Visa extension

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
gprit
udonmap.com

Re: Visa extension

Post by gprit » July 17, 2023, 1:17 am

Thanks for that...I STILL do not see tis post in the mainstream...have to click on 'my posts'....

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » July 17, 2023, 2:17 am

Just curious. When you say 'main stream' do you mean this page?
UM.jpg
or this one (filtered by unread)?
UMunread.jpg
or this one (filtered by new posts)?
UMnew.jpg
If it is the filter settings, you can click QuickLinks, New to see the last screenshot above or simply click the UdonMap link (bottom left) to see the first screenshot above view.

Hope I am not coming off like I know what I am doing but I too like to view UM in a certain way mine being the first screenshot.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 17, 2023, 5:52 pm

gprit wrote:
July 17, 2023, 1:17 am
Thanks for that...I STILL do not see tis post in the mainstream...have to click on 'my posts'....
Since we don't know what you call "the mainstream", I'm not sure what the issue is but I 🤔 nk Potamoi probably has given you some good pointers. Your thread is still where it was originally placed.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » July 22, 2023, 5:37 pm

okay....an update.....despite best efforts, immigration in Nong Bua Lam Phu would not stamp his British passport with retrospective entry.

What they DID tell my wife to do was to go to Nong Khai....cross the friendship bridge with Thai passport and re-enter with British passport.....and yes....I did say about the previous poster's comment NOT to cross by land. Anyway a further couple of hours driving...and then immigration at Nong Khai said he cannot leave Thailand because his passport does not have enough time left on it (expires 2 August)...presumably the same would have happened if tried to exit by air.

The Thai embassy in Paris have been extremely helpful, even telephoning my wife in Thailand to advise her in Thai.
However, they can do nothing more.....SO I have to travel to Paris Monday......appointment Tuesday to give Parental Authorisation.....back home at midnight Tuesday......

Two days and over €300 for a piece of paper!!! Good thing I have available all the documents they ask for.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 22, 2023, 7:43 pm

Bon chance!
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 23, 2023, 2:21 pm

gprit wrote:
July 22, 2023, 5:37 pm
okay....an update.....despite best efforts, immigration in Nong Bua Lam Phu would not stamp his British passport with retrospective entry.
Hardly surprising as it is highly illegal
gprit wrote:
What they DID tell my wife to do was to go to Nong Khai....cross the friendship bridge with Thai passport and re-enter with British passport.....and yes....I did say about the previous poster's comment NOT to cross by land.
That would not work, it has never worked, many have tried, all unsuccessfully.

You can not enter and exit over land and swap passports. All land entry and exits require mating entry stamps. The only exception is a replacement passport and even then the entry stamp is duplicated AFIK.
gprit wrote:
Anyway a further couple of hours driving...and then immigration at Nong Khai said he cannot leave Thailand because his passport does not have enough time left on it (expires 2 August)...
This is a communication error assuming that you are talking about his Thai passport.

You can exit and enter using a Thai passport at any point during its validity.
YOU CANNOT swap passports using a land border, only if you fly.

The ONLY way is to swap passports between exiting one country and entering the second country, no land border allows this they all require that the exit stamp from one country matches the entry stamp to the second country, they all check that this is correct.

So it is far more likely that either your wife was misinformed, she misunderstood or the IO invented a requirement to avoid a problem
gprit wrote:
presumably the same would have happened if tried to exit by air.
The only point that I do not know is if a minor child must be accompanied.

However he would NOT have been stopped from exiting
gprit wrote:
The Thai embassy in Paris have been extremely helpful, even telephoning my wife in Thailand to advise her in Thai.
However, they can do nothing more.....SO I have to travel to Paris Monday......appointment Tuesday to give Parental Authorisation.....back home at midnight Tuesday......
It is your choice to take the trip to Paris rather than the alternative

FWIW It is very unlikely that any official will suggest (or even agree that it is acceptable) the very real alternative of swapping passports during the flight. This is not in anyway illegal as hundreds,probably thousands, of people can attest to.
gprit wrote:

Two days and over €300 for a piece of paper!!! Good thing I have available all the documents they ask for.
At ฿11,500 it is probably just more than a flight for 2 , quite a lot more if your son is able to fly without his parent accompanying him
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”