Application up to 45 days before extension expires

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Application up to 45 days before extension expires

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 7, 2022, 4:50 pm

FWIW. In the past Udon immigration had a maximum time of 30 days early for you to apply for your renewal.

They will now accept a renewal up to 45 days before the current extension expiration date, this in line with a number of other offices.

The 90 day report back date (you will have to do one as the maximum period is limited by you current extension) in my case is the same as the under consideration date (marriage extension), and that is 30 days after my current permission to stay expires.

On a non related matter they state the visit spouse 60 day extension (IMHO incorrectly) will cancel any existing time on your current extension, so it will give you 60 days but will run from the application day, it will not add onto your current extension. AFIK other offices will add the time to your current permission to stay.

Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

pipadoo
udonmap.com

Re: Application up to 45 days before extension expires

Post by pipadoo » December 26, 2022, 8:48 am

Can anyone confirm that 45 days is still the earliest I can apply for a Non Imm O extension?
Thanks in advance for all replies

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 27, 2022, 7:01 am

pipadoo wrote:
December 26, 2022, 8:48 am
Can anyone confirm that 45 days is still the earliest I can apply for a Non Imm O extension?
It depends on the immigration department office. I do not know of any office that will accept an application earlier than 45 days. Udon immigration will accept an application at 45 days, other offices restrict you to 30 days early.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 27, 2022, 7:24 am

Maybe four years ago, I got an extension in Udon that was nearer 60 days than 45 but that was approved by the Puyai after 3 pm on a Friday. I had asked lower-order pencil necks twice and been told "cannot" but I persisted with evidence that I would be unavoidably outside the country for two months including the due date.

As stww suggests, it will depend on the prevailing "cannot" attitude at the time of asking. In my case, genuflecting and being obsequiously craven probably helped too.

Make sure you have brought ALL the paperwork and provenance they will need.

And a tip.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

pipadoo
udonmap.com

Post by pipadoo » December 27, 2022, 7:31 am

Hi Tamada
Many thanks for your reply, trust you and family had a good Xmas and I must congratulate you on your fantastic vocabulary- far too good for me my friend
I will heed your advice and keep everything possible crossed
I will update following my attempt on week commencing 9th January
In meantime Happy New Year
Cheers😎👍

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 27, 2022, 7:46 am

tamada wrote:
December 27, 2022, 7:24 am
Maybe four years ago, I got an extension in Udon that was nearer 60 days than 45 but that was approved by the Puyai after 3 pm on a Friday. I had asked lower-order pencil necks twice and been told "cannot" but I persisted with evidence that I would be unavoidably outside the country for two months including the due date.
I was not addressing the exceptions that may be obtained,

I do know that in exceptional cases with really good reasons or possibly with the assistance of pretty coloured pieces of paper in a brown envelope or square bottles, along with a department head who is feeling kind and you being extremely polite you may get an early application approved.

I didn’t suggest this as a possibility because of the uncertainty surrounding it.

Department heads have discretion to make exceptions, if they didn’t agents wouldn’t exist, but usually they don’t.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 27, 2022, 8:00 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
December 27, 2022, 7:46 am
tamada wrote:
December 27, 2022, 7:24 am
I was not addressing the exceptions that may be obtained,

I do know that in exceptional cases with really good reasons or possibly with the assistance of pretty coloured pieces of paper in a brown envelope or square bottles, along with a department head who is feeling kind and you being extremely polite you may get an early application approved.

I didn’t suggest this as a possibility because of the uncertainty surrounding it.

Department heads have discretion to make exceptions, if they didn’t agents wouldn’t exist, but usually they don’t.
I never opined it was a given but if it happened to me, then the exception becomes a possibility. Like most dealings with Thai bureaucracy, it's this uncertainty that makes it a bit of a lottery.

YMMV
TiT
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » December 27, 2022, 10:42 am

December 27, 2022, 7:01 am
pipadoo wrote:
It depends on the immigration department office. I do not know of any office that will accept an application earlier than 45 days. Udon immigration will accept an application at 45 days, other offices restrict you to 30 days early.
I do not know of any office that will accept an application earlier than 45 days...Well You Do NOW, My Agent did mine at Chonburi 60 Days Before it Expired

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 27, 2022, 2:05 pm

747man wrote:
December 27, 2022, 10:42 am
December 27, 2022, 7:01 am
pipadoo wrote:
I do not know of any office that will accept an application earlier than 45 days...Well You Do NOW, My Agent did mine at Chonburi 60 Days Before it Expired
I usually never give any details I may have heard about regarding borderline illegal, certainly close to, or actually, corrupt practices as these are almost always avoiding immigration rules and as such the chances of problems happening are not tiny.

You are clearly getting your extension from an office that is not near your home (unless you actually live near Chonburi).

If you are using an agent then you are paying several times the ฿1,900 and as such it is not surprising that your indirect personal payment to an immigration officer gets you favourable treatment. A wrinkle of using an agent specially (maybe only) if getting a marriage extension is, the agent will usually hold your your passport during the under consideration period.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 27, 2022, 2:18 pm

tamada wrote:
December 27, 2022, 8:00 am
Like most dealings with Thai bureaucracy, it's this uncertainty that makes it a bit of a lottery.
YMMV
TiT
As you say in Thailand virtually anything is possible, though it usually requires significant numbers of pretty coloured pieces of paper or high level influence.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 27, 2022, 5:33 pm

I have a UK friend, long time visitor to Thailand, who was given a 45 day tourist visa a week ago. As he is now caught up in the Brexit thingy he asked Imm about a 45 day extension to make up the 90 day cycle he can't work in France. They told him it is still in place. That was at Swampy.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 27, 2022, 8:40 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
December 27, 2022, 5:33 pm
I have a UK friend, long time visitor to Thailand, who was given a 45 day tourist visa a week ago. As he is now caught up in the Brexit thingy he asked Imm about a 45 day extension to make up the 90 day cycle he can't work in France. They told him it is still in place. That was at Swampy.
He was not given a 45 day tourist visa, they don’t exist. He came in visa exempt. A tourist visa gives 60 days.

There is no 45 day extension. The extension for visa exempt is 30 days, this has not changed, it has never been 45 days.

His only way to get a total of 90 days is to do a border hop he will then get another visa exempt entry, I don’t remember when the 45 days will revert to 30 days but he can get an extension for any visa exempt entry.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » December 28, 2022, 6:29 am

December 27, 2022, 8:40 pm
Bandung_Dero wrote:
I don’t remember when the 45 days will revert to 30 days but he can get an extension for any visa exempt entry.
Apparently 31 March 2023.

https://www.tatnews.org/2022/08/thailan ... h-season/

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 28, 2022, 6:55 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
He was not given a 45 day tourist visa, they don’t exist. He came in visa exempt. A tourist visa gives 60 days.

There is no 45 day extension. The extension for visa exempt is 30 days, this has not changed, it has never been 45 days.

His only way to get a total of 90 days is to do a border hop he will then get another visa exempt entry, I don’t remember when the 45 days will revert to 30 days but he can get an extension for any visa exempt entry.
I think he may have been talking about this??
https://aseannow.com/topic/1281742-dura ... t-17809224

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 28, 2022, 9:02 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
December 28, 2022, 6:55 am
Bandung_Dero wrote:

I think he may have been talking about this??
https://aseannow.com/topic/1281742-dura ... t-17809224
Quite likely, also the information and advice are the same as I posted above, apart from the end date of the 45 days visa exempt entry.

Though I have no idea about the reference to “the Brexit thingy” as nothing much has changed.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 28, 2022, 9:41 am

^ The "Brexit thingy” reference is towards his residency entitlement in France. The guy wants to stay longer in Thailand to minimize his days in France.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 28, 2022, 11:14 am

tamada wrote:
December 28, 2022, 9:41 am
^ The "Brexit thingy” reference is towards his residency entitlement in France. The guy wants to stay longer in Thailand to minimize his days in France.
Since it looks as if this maybe an ongoing situation rather than a one off thing for future visits (not including the next few months) the visitor would be well advised to either get visas, a tourist visa is 60+30 days, a Non-O is 90 days, or depending on circumstances and timing consider a 1 year extension

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 28, 2022, 1:28 pm

December 28, 2022, 9:02 am
<snip>
Though I have no idea about the reference to “the Brexit thingy” as nothing much has changed.
After Brexit and being a UK Passport holder he is limited to 90 swings with his French work permit where his employer has most of his contracts.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » June 29, 2023, 7:01 am

extention of stay based on marriage , yesterday was in immigration , from entering building 9.10 am till underconsideration stamp in passport and a 90 day report extended to consideration date , 50 minutes
this is a record for me , everyone pleasant , breath of fresh air ,hmm one wonders the corruption scandal with chinese visa's etc , have anything to do with this ??

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”