Visa Question

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Visa Question

Post by newtovillagelife » March 11, 2022, 2:17 am

Hi all, does anyone know if it's possible to get a 90 non o visa in Thailand. I will be arriving on a regular 30 day visa waiver, and I was told I could apply from Thailand.

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Visa Question

Post by tamada » March 11, 2022, 10:18 pm

I think the 90-day Non-O is only issued if you are transitioning to the 1-year extension, marriage or retired. I don't recall any other reasons why a Non-O can be issued in-country.

If married, you can apply for a one-off 60-day extension for visiting the marital partner.

STWW should be able to confirm or correct.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 11, 2022, 10:29 pm

OR the other alternative is to call Immigration or go there

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 11, 2022, 10:33 pm

Doodoo wrote:
March 11, 2022, 10:29 pm
OR the other alternative is to call Immigration or go there
Good advice as always.

The OP isn't in Thailand.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

marcus1
udonmap.com

Post by marcus1 » March 11, 2022, 10:51 pm

Yes you can...You will need to show 800,000 in a thai bank account at time of applying.
Then if you are going for a retirement extension or marriage (400,000 for marriage) extension thereafter you will need to apply during the last few weeks before the 90 day non o expires as the money needs to seasoned in the account for 2 months prior to application.
Hope this helps..!!!
YKICAMOOCOW

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 11, 2022, 11:08 pm

The OP can email or another idea is get a Friend or Family member to go
Loads of options

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 11, 2022, 11:17 pm

So the initial 800k doesnt need to be in the account more than 30 days before. Is that right? (he's not arriving until 30 days before so cant open a bank account)

marcus1
udonmap.com

Post by marcus1 » March 11, 2022, 11:28 pm

No..At time of applying for the 90 day "non o" it can be deposited the day before applying however the monies will need to be shown that it came from oversea's.
The account must be in his name only...No joint accounts.
Money only needs to be seasoned for 2 months before applying for 12 month extension.
It takes about 2 weeks for approval so best to move quickly once here to get done however he can always apply for a 30 day extension to his entry if required.
YKICAMOOCOW

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 11, 2022, 11:36 pm

Thanks Marcus

marcus1
udonmap.com

Post by marcus1 » March 11, 2022, 11:45 pm

No problem...
Just a quick foot note..
Udon Thani immigration office refused to do mine many years ago and I had to go to Bangkok to get done.
Hopefully they are more receptive now.
Who Know's..!!!
YKICAMOOCOW

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » March 12, 2022, 10:44 am

they seem more receptive, as I stuffed up my Non O after arrival , due to the money not in my bank account long enough come my first 90 day check in..they gave me a 60 extension, and a fella is to now reappear soon for the Non O again..fingers crossed I dont stuff up again..old age is ugly I tell ya..

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 12, 2022, 11:54 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
March 11, 2022, 2:17 am
Hi all, does anyone know if it's possible to get a 90 non o visa in Thailand. I will be arriving on a regular 30 day visa waiver, and I was told I could apply from Thailand.
As has been mentioned, yes you can.

You must apply for your Non-O visa when there is a minimum of 15 days remaining on your permission to stay. You can also get a 30 day extension for your visa exempt entry and apply for a visa during that period.

The regulations require that if you get a visa with the intent of applying for a retirement extension the money must be an international transfer, Udon is known to be flexible on this, a long term (years) deposit has been accepted, deposits without proof of an international transfer have been accepted, so it’s quite likely that you will get the visa without proof of the source of money.

The 15 day application time is the same for marriage.

As has also been mentioned there is no seasoning requirement for the money for either reason and no origin requirements for the money for a visa for a marriage extension.

It is certainly possible to get a Non-O visa and then not apply for an annual extension. This could make getting another visa in-county more difficult.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 12, 2022, 3:33 pm

so why not a Special Tourist Visa (STV)?? https://thaiembdc.org/2020/12/10/stv/

Visa and Thailand Pass procedures for Non-Thai nationals wishing to obtain Special Tourist Visa (STV)
Special Tourist Visa (STV)

(Special Tourist Visa (STV) will be in effect until 30 September 2022)

The following conditions are for applicants who wish to apply for a Special Tourist Visa (STV)

STV is valid for a single entry into Thailand for long-term tourism purposes only.
STV is valid for 3 months from the date of issuance. Travelers must enter Thailand within the said 3-month period. They will be allowed to stay in Thailand for a period of up to 90 days, counting from the date of entry. STV may be extended twice while the visitor is in Thailand for a period of up to 90 days per each extension.
STV cannot be changed to any other type of visa during the duration of stay in Thailand.
If the STV holder breaches the entry conditions (for example, if he/she engages in work-related activities), the stay permit will be revoked and he/she will be prohibited from entering Thailand in the future.
Dave

marcus1
udonmap.com

Post by marcus1 » March 12, 2022, 6:53 pm

Hey sometime wood worker...
The post clearly states that his friend needs to open a bank account once here and then apply for said 90 day "non o".
I agree that if you have had monies for a long period of time in an account prior to applying they would probably accept.
However being new to the process with no prior evidence of monies in an account they will NOT approve said application without international transfer proof...!!!
But by the sounds of it his friend has no problem to do...!!
Cheers to all.
YKICAMOOCOW

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 12, 2022, 7:18 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
March 12, 2022, 3:33 pm
so why not a Special Tourist Visa (STV)?? https://thaiembdc.org/2020/12/10/stv/
What is the purpose of your post?

It seems to be irrelevant to the thread and newtovillaglife’s question

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 12, 2022, 7:26 pm

marcus1 wrote:
March 12, 2022, 6:53 pm
Hey sometime wood worker...
The post clearly states that his friend needs to open a bank account once here and then apply for said 90 day "non o".
It is actually the visa application regulations that specifically require that also there is no requirement that the account be a new one
marcus1 wrote:
I agree that if you have had monies for a long period of time in an account prior to applying they would probably accept.
As I said
marcus1 wrote:
However being new to the process with no prior evidence of monies in an account they will NOT approve said application without international transfer proof...!!!
That is incorrect, there have been relatively recent reports of no proof of origin of funds being required, even with a new account.

However the 2 golden rules apply TIT YMMV
C5B420CA-A0BA-4660-BF52-7E41B77AE14D.png

marcus1
udonmap.com

Post by marcus1 » March 12, 2022, 7:45 pm

The point of my post is that all you do is repeat what has already been posted.
No need for you to reply to such post and repeat information already given.
My advice for anyone that wants to confirm what someone has already said is refer to "UBONJOE" at the "ASEAN NOW"
website as he is the absolute guru on all immigration matters.
He is excellent and will respond very quickly to any question posted.
YKICAMOOCOW

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 12, 2022, 10:12 pm

marcus1 wrote:
March 12, 2022, 7:45 pm
The point of my post is that all you do is repeat what has already been posted.
You are not correct.
There are 2 points not correctly covered,
the first is the requirement to apply with a minimum of 15 days remaining on the permission to stay.
It takes about 2 weeks for approval
is not a minimum of 15 days remaining on the permission to stay. However much you may like it to be

The second is that despite your instance that proof of an international transfer has been made and it being on the immigration list of requirements (5.3) Udon immigration has issued Non-O visas without asking for that proof even in cases where the deposit was as recent as the day of application

Taking your (and others) advice as gospel could preclude an application being accepted (too late) or stop someone from trying (can’t prove a foreign transfer)

FWIW ubonjoe does not have encyclopaedic knowledge of all immigration matters in all immigration offices. He is interested in local knowledge of exceptions and without that he can’t give definitive answers (actually definitive answers is really an oxymoron in Thailand)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 12, 2022, 10:34 pm

Not to throw a total spanner in the works here but Udon immigration didn't even need my bank book when I renewed my Ret Ext last month. Being already Covid-averse, they reckoned going back and forth to the bank was a risk not worth taking with omicron on the rise.

Anyone citing their personal or anecdotal experience at the total exclusion of other member's experience, personal or anecdotal, are on a hiding for nothing.

I reckon sometimewoodworker is just as knowledgeable on immigration ins and outs as Ubonjoe on the other forum. However, his local office knowledge is far more accurate and relevant.

YMMV
TiT
TiUT
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

marcus1
udonmap.com

Post by marcus1 » March 13, 2022, 1:08 am

STWW..
Can you please tell me where I stated it needs to be a new account as per your response..???
Newtolifevillage clearly states he has to open a new account upon arrival..!!!
Thus my response of proof of international transfer.
Secondly I clearly stated that the application for retirement or marriage extension must be done a few weeks prior to expiry of the 90 day "Non O".
Also you will find a 90 day "Non o" can not be approved by Udon Thani immigration.
Only Bangkok can approve said application thus the reason it takes a few weeks.

May I suggest as said before by other members....go to immigration and check for one's self...Alway's good to do.
Ubonjoe is still the go to man for all immigration matters no matter what province...!!!
YKICAMOOCOW

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”