retirement visa

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
timmy
udonmap.com

retirement visa

Post by timmy » March 2, 2022, 7:26 am

not sure who our UM visa expert is so just ask , when your " retirement visa " runs out can you go to immigration and get a 30 day extension by just paying 1900 baht ?

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: retirement visa

Post by Doodoo » March 2, 2022, 9:31 am

The best answer will come from Udon Immigration
Good Luck

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » March 2, 2022, 9:53 am

Doodoo wrote:
March 2, 2022, 9:31 am
The best answer will come from Udon Immigration
Good Luck
i tried Google no go , thought i,d ask here before trip into town just to ask 1 question
still having trouble walking with having my Toe opp .. cheers .

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » March 2, 2022, 9:56 am

timmy wrote:
March 2, 2022, 7:26 am
not sure who our UM visa expert is so just ask , when your " retirement visa " runs out can you go to immigration and get a 30 day extension by just paying 1900 baht ?
I'm not an expert but this has been my experience since I arrived in Thailand at the beginning of December on a Visa exempt 30 day Tourist visit.
I have been granted 60 day extensions due to the COVID situation and am currently on my 2nd which expires at the end of April.
I was told that these COVID extensions are due to finish at the end of March, so now would be a good time to apply.
My initial 30 day visit will now be a 5 month holiday, I paid 2000bht for each extension
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » March 2, 2022, 11:41 am

If you are on an extension of stay (retirement) why not go along and extend it for another year for 1900baht.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 2, 2022, 11:52 am

AFAIK, unless the application to renew a 12-month retirement extension is done before it expires, it's gone. However, due to the closed borders and travel restrictions, Udon and other immigration offices have been quite flexible.

sometimewoodworker will have the definitive answer, watch this space.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » March 2, 2022, 12:06 pm

If Timmy is on a yearly extension of stay then it is a no-brainer but to go and complete another application to extend. Closed borders, Covid would make no difference.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 2, 2022, 12:09 pm

Really depends on if he meets the financial requirements.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 2, 2022, 12:16 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
March 2, 2022, 12:09 pm
Really depends on if he meets the financial requirements.
Otherwise, an agent can easily sort it all out.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 2, 2022, 12:49 pm

I'm thinking @timmy really needs to provide a bit more background and his future intensions for anyone to offer any sort of suggestions.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 2, 2022, 12:51 pm

CALL IMMIGRATION
EASY PEASY

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » March 2, 2022, 1:12 pm

i,ve been on a retirement visa for the last 10 years ( with an agent )
i had my toe chopped off a month ago ( Diabetic ) and thought it would be quite a quick fix, its taking much longer to heal that i thought , still having to have daily dressings changed and hospital visits the doctors say this is normal with my illness . my visa runs out May 9th all i was trying to find out was if i was still receiving treatment could i extend my stay for another month ,
i was suppose to go back 2 years ago to sort some business stuff out but covit stopped that , now i really need to get it done .

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 2, 2022, 1:29 pm

Well the way I see it @tamada has the solution, go and see your agent.

marcus1
udonmap.com

Post by marcus1 » March 2, 2022, 1:53 pm

Medical extension...
A letter from the doctor saying that you are unfit to travel.
Job done.
YKICAMOOCOW

nutosf
udonmap.com

Post by nutosf » March 2, 2022, 4:01 pm

You can go to their Facebook page and ask questions via messenger. Have your partner ask question in Thai. I have done in the past. They have answered when in a day or two.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 2, 2022, 9:19 pm

timmy wrote:
The answer to that is a definite, NO

Having read through the other suggestions.

Many offices have refused 60 day covid extensions to anyone on a 1year extension. I haven’t heard if Udon is in the group that are refusing them.

If you are not married to a Thai national (quite a few people who are married to a Thai still get retirement extensions) there is no short term extension available AFIK.

If you are married to a Thai national there may well be an option. If you are then post and I will explain.

You don’t say why you want 30 days more information will help.

The only grace you are likely to get if you cannot fulfil the requirements for a retirement extension is to have your application refused, in the case of a refusal to give a 1 year extension (or most other lengths) the vast majority of offices will extend your permission by 7 days
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 2, 2022, 9:27 pm

timmy wrote:
March 2, 2022, 1:12 pm
i,ve been on a retirement visa for the last 10 years ( with an agent )
i had my toe chopped off a month ago ( Diabetic ) and thought it would be quite a quick fix, its taking much longer to heal that i thought , still having to have daily dressings changed and hospital visits the doctors say this is normal with my illness . my visa runs out May 9th all i was trying to find out was if i was still receiving treatment could i extend my stay for another month ,
i was suppose to go back 2 years ago to sort some business stuff out but covit stopped that , now i really need to get it done .
That will depend on the hospital. It is not a clear cut situation. The hospital may have a liaison with immigration, the big private ones do, if so then in consultation with your doctor they may arrange a medical extension, this can be up to 90 days. If you are an inpatient it is reasonably straightforward. If you are mobile then it’s a much less clear case.

I have not heard of a case where someone rocked up to immigration with a doctors note and got an extension, this doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened just that I haven’t seen a report.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on March 2, 2022, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 2, 2022, 9:32 pm

The above are the situations for anyone not paying the extra for an agent.

With an agent and the correct size of the brown envelopes the immigration rules are malleable in many cases. Of course the costs involved are some multiple of the standard, 5 to 15 times is not unknown.

TIT YMMV

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 2, 2022, 9:41 pm

tamada wrote:
March 2, 2022, 11:52 am
AFAIK, unless the application to renew a 12-month retirement extension is done before it expires, it's gone. However, due to the closed borders and travel restrictions, Udon and other immigration offices have been quite flexible.

sometimewoodworker will have the definitive answer, watch this space.
The majority of offices will allow an application up to around 7 days late, though you will almost certainly have to pay the 500 Baht per day overstay fine.

It is certainly possible that immigration may allow even later applications but unless you have a superbly good excuse the latter you leave it the lower your chances.

As mentioned COVID has allowed unusual situations so it’s worth going in unless you are extremely late when going to the airport with a flight booked is still the safest way, hopefully you will get to the airport before being stopped.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » March 3, 2022, 5:39 am

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
March 2, 2022, 9:56 am
timmy wrote:
I'm not an expert but this has been my experience since I arrived in Thailand at the beginning of December on a Visa exempt 30 day Tourist visit.
I have been granted 60 day extensions due to the COVID situation and am currently on my 2nd which expires at the end of April.
I was told that these COVID extensions are due to finish at the end of March, so now would be a good time to apply.
My initial 30 day visit will now be a 5 month holiday, I paid 2000bht for each extension
Don't know how you blokes get a 60 day extension on a visa exempt entry.
Whenever I go visa exempt 30 days, i have to show a return booked ticket to Aus.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”