retirement visa

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
maaka
udonmap.com

Re: retirement visa

Post by maaka » March 3, 2022, 6:20 am

I was on a Non O retirement, but didnt get the moola in the bank within the prescribed 2 month period, so UD downsized me to a 60day covid thing, after which I was told to reapply and can go back to a Non O..so some leeway

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » March 3, 2022, 7:31 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
March 2, 2022, 9:19 pm
timmy wrote:
March 2, 2022, 7:26 am
not sure who our UM visa expert is so just ask , when your " retirement visa " runs out can you go to immigration and get a 30 day extension by just paying 1900 baht ?
The answer to that is a definite, NO

Having read through the other suggestions.

Many offices have refused 60 day covid extensions to anyone on a 1year extension. I haven’t heard if Udon is in the group that are refusing them.

If you are not married to a Thai national (quite a few people who are married to a Thai still get retirement extensions) there is no short term extension available AFIK.

If you are married to a Thai national there may well be an option. If you are then post and I will explain.

You don’t say why you want 30 days more information will help.

The only grace you are likely to get if you cannot fulfil the requirements for a retirement extension is to have your application refused, in the case of a refusal to give a 1 year extension (or most other lengths) the vast majority of offices will extend your permission by 7 days
thanks for the replys , yes i am married to a Thai .

i,m NOT saying i do need the 30 day extension i was just thinking ahead as the medical treatment i am having is taking much longer than i thought it would .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 3, 2022, 8:13 am

If you are concerned about the time spent faffing about in their office, most recent experience, including my own, suggests that they are very quick at running the applicants through the mill. No more sitting around for hours and by all accounts, ad hoc demands for odd bits of extra paperwork are a thing of the past.

Get well soon timmy and hoping your extension experience is quick and easy.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 3, 2022, 8:15 am

bluejets wrote:
March 3, 2022, 5:39 am
BillaRickaDickay wrote:
March 2, 2022, 9:56 am
timmy wrote:
not sure who our UM visa expert is so just ask , when your " retirement visa " runs out can you go to immigration and get a 30 day extension by just paying 1900 baht ?
I'm not an expert but this has been my experience since I arrived in Thailand at the beginning of December on a Visa exempt 30 day Tourist visit.
I have been granted 60 day extensions due to the COVID situation and am currently on my 2nd which expires at the end of April.
I was told that these COVID extensions are due to finish at the end of March, so now would be a good time to apply.
My initial 30 day visit will now be a 5 month holiday, I paid 2000bht for each extension
Don't know how you blokes get a 60 day extension on a visa exempt entry.
Whenever I go visa exempt 30 days, i have to show a return booked ticket to Aus.
The standard visa exempt extension is 30 days.

At the moment, and for the past 2 years, covid extensions have been available to most here on a tourist visa or visa exempt etc. these are 60 day extensions. Most offices will not give a covid extension to people on annual extensions.
EDIT it seems that Udon has done so at least once, my guess is that if you ask very politely and have a sensible reason you may be lucky. TIT YMMV

Immigration does not know if the emergency that has allowed these extensions will be extended once again when it finishes at the end of this month.

Immigration has consistently told people they will not get another 60 day extension for at least the last 6 to 9 months. However once the emergency has been extended yet again those same people have got another extension.

Will the emergency covid extension finish at the end of the month? Short answer maybe.
The cabinet will decide if they will extend the emergency in the week before it ends.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on March 3, 2022, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 3, 2022, 8:26 am

timmy wrote:
March 3, 2022, 7:31 am
sometimewoodworker wrote:
March 2, 2022, 9:19 pm
timmy wrote:
The answer to that is a definite, NO

Having read through the other suggestions.

Many offices have refused 60 day covid extensions to anyone on a 1year extension. I haven’t heard if Udon is in the group that are refusing them.

If you are not married to a Thai national (quite a few people who are married to a Thai still get retirement extensions) there is no short term extension available AFIK.

If you are married to a Thai national there may well be an option. If you are then post and I will explain.

You don’t say why you want 30 days more information will help.

The only grace you are likely to get if you cannot fulfil the requirements for a retirement extension is to have your application refused, in the case of a refusal to give a 1 year extension (or most other lengths) the vast majority of offices will extend your permission by 7 days
thanks for the replys , yes i am married to a Thai .

i,m NOT saying i do need the 30 day extension i was just thinking ahead as the medical treatment i am having is taking much longer than i thought it would .
As you are married to a Thai you are eligible for a 60 day extension to “visit your wife”. This extension is only available once for any visa entry.

This means that however long ago you entered and have been getting annual extensions you can get 1 “visit my wife” 60 day extension.

It is very easy to get, your wife MUST accompany you to immigration when you apply, you must apply in person. There are no financial requirements and not many other documents needed, I don’t remember exactly what is required.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 22, 2022, 5:31 pm

Does anyone know if this option actually exists for a Thai Retirement Visa. I came across it on
LINK https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-vis ... t-visa.php

It is touted as a 5-Year Retirement Visa option to Thailand

If it does exist, has anyone bought one or does any know what the Fee process costs

Things you need to know about the Thai retirement Visa:
 Thailand 5-year retirement visa is the popular term for "Non-Immigrant O-X Long Stay Visa".
 The visa can be valid either for a single entry or multiple entries.
 This is a long-term Thai visa that entitles the holder a stay of 5 years in Thailand.
 The visa is renewable every 5 years, and the renewal process can be done inside Thailand (requirements for the visa renewal still apply).

Qualifications
 Application is open to these nationalities: Japan, Australia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherland, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Canada and United States.
 Applicant must be 50 years of age or over
 Must meet the financial requirement: security deposit of 3 million Baht in a Thai Bank Account for 12 months prior to the visa application.
 Other documents that may be required to be presented:
• Health Insurance
• Police Clearance
• Medical Certificate

Retirement Visa Application Process
 It is required that you apply for a 90-day initial non-immigrant visa from the Thai embassy or consulate in your home country prior to your application for a retirement visa in Thailand.
 You will have to wait for 60 days to be in Thailand before you can file your retirement visa application at the immigration office or you must be on the last 30 days of your current permit to stay.
 Note The visa extension may be revoked if the sum of money in the bank account is less than 3 million Baht at the end of the first year of stay period in Thailand OR the sum of money in the bank account is less than 1.5 million Baht at the end of the second year of stay period in Thailand, and/or the money in said account was spent outside Thailand.
 Foreigners must report, in person, to the immigration officer every 1 year for the examination of the qualifications and supporting documents.
 The foreigner on a visa exemption stamp or a tourist visa can still apply for a retirement visa given that the foreigner has already met the requirements for the non-immigrant O visa and for the five- year extension visa applications. This can be done at the immigration office in Thailand.

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 22, 2022, 6:15 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
July 22, 2022, 5:31 pm
Does anyone know if this option actually exists for a Thai Retirement Visa.
Yes it does, though it’s actually a 10 year visas in 2 5 year sections

The London embassy is also of the opinion that you can get it in Thailand in the same way a a Non-O
On 22 November 2016, the Cabinet of Thailand approved scheme which allows nationals from 14 countries to stay in Thailand for the maximum period of 10 years. In order to enjoy this new scheme, the applicants must apply for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-X” Visa at the Royal Thai Embassy /Royal Thai Consulate-General (when applying outside Thailand) or the Immigration Bureau (when applying in Thailand).

The purpose of this type of visa is to promote long stay for foreign traveler to Thailand. Nationals of 14 countries with the age of 50 years old or over can apply for a multiple-entry Non-O-X visa and stay in Kingdom for the maximum period of 10 years (5 years according to visa validity plus an extension for another 5 years). The visa fee is 10,000 baht (or local currency equivalent if applying outside Thailand).

In accordance with the Notification of the Ministry of Interior Re: Authorization for Certain Groups of Aliens to enter the Kingdom on exceptional case on Long-Stay Purpose in accordance with the Cabinet Resolution, date 22 November B.E. 2599 (2016) ( effective from 11 August 2017), foreigners with the following qualification and supporting documents may apply for a multiple- entry Non-O-X visa:

Applicants’ qualifications
Age of 50 years old or over
Applicants must be passport holder or nationality of (1) Japan (2) Australia (3) Denmark (4) Finland (5) France (6) Germany (7) Italy (8) Netherlands (9) Norway (10) Sweden (11) Switzerland (12) United Kingdom (13) Canada (14) United States of America
Financial qualifications
Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht; or
Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 1.8 million Baht and have income with the amount of not less than 1.2 million Baht per year. Once the applicants enter Thailand, they must have accumulated money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand not less than 3 million Baht within 1 year.
The money in (a) and (b) must be kept in bank account at least 1 year before withdrawing and, within another next year, the money must be left in the account with the amount of not less than 1.5 million Baht and can only be spent in Thailand.
Applicants must have no forbidden diseases according to the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E 2535) which include Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction and third stage of Syphilis.
Applicants must have Thai medical insurance during their stay in Thailand (per the approval of the Office of Insurance Commission) and medical claims for outpatient must not be less than 40,000 Baht, for inpatient must not be less than 400,000 Baht.

Required Documents
Passport must be valid for at least 1 year from the date of travel and at least 2 blank pages. - passport (validity over 6 months) and at least 2 blank pages.
Printout of visa application form submitted online, with bar code
Biography
A medical certificate issued in the UK or Ireland or Thailand, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535), which include Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction, third stage of Syphilis, and the certificate shall be valid for not more than three months.
Certificate of criminal record clearance from the UK (ACRO, DBS, or issued by the police) or Ireland (In case the applicants have permanent residence in other country, they must provide the aforementioned document from both country of nationality and country of permanent residence.
Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as per stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand. Please check < http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement.
Financial evidence
7.1 Certificate of bank deposit stating bank contract information, copy of bank book and bank statement which shows fixed deposit with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand; OR

7.2 Certificate of bank deposit stating bank contract information, copy of bank book and bank statement which shows fixed deposit with amount of not less than 1.8 million baht deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand and certificate of annual income with the amount of not less than 1.2 million Baht (local currency equivalent) per year. (Once the applicants enter Thailand, they must have accumulated money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand not less than 3 million Baht within 1 year.)

Spouse and child, age under 20 years old, can apply for Non-O-X visa and must have the flowing required documents
Spouse (no age restriction) must show a copy of marriage certificate together with documents stated in 1 - 8
Child age under 20 years old must show a copy of birth certificate or proof of legitimate child and also have to submit documents number 1 – 3,7 and 8

How to apply for Non-O-X Visa (in case of applying outside Thailand)
Foreigners who have the required qualification and supporting documents as stated above may apply for Non-O-X Visa at the Royal Thai Embassy/Royal Thai Consulate - General in the country of their nationality or where they have permanent residence.
The Royal Thai Embassy/Royal Thai Consulate-General examines the qualifications and supporting documents and informs the result to the applicants.
In case that the visa is approved, foreigners (main applicant, spouse and lawful child under 20 years old) will obtain a multiple-entry Non-O-X visa with visa validity of 5 years
Upon arrival in Thailand, the immigration officer will grant the Non-O-X visa holders the stay permit in the Kingdom for the period of not exceeding 5 years according to visa validity.
Note:
- Please submit the originals of required documentation stipulated above, as well as one photocopy of each document. In case that an applicant could not submit the original documents, the Embassy will accept the photocopies which have been certified by a Notary Public officer or Solicitors.
- The consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary.

Other Useful Information
Benefits of Non-O-X visa holders
Can work as a volunteer (in accordance with the list of volunteer work as stipulated by the Department of Employment).
Can purchase vehicle (under the provision of laws on motor vehicles).
Can purchase condominium (proceed in accordance with the condominium Act).
Foreigners who enter Thailand with other type of Visa/Visa Exemption may contact the immigration Bureau and Apply for Non-O-X visa.
Foreigners who enter Thailand with Non-O-X visa may change from Non-O-X type of other type of visa by submitting request to Immigration Bureau. Spouse and child’s visa approval will be changed according to status of the main applicant. However, spouse can apply for Non-O-X by himself/herself if he/she meets the qualifications.
Spouse/child who does not qualify for Non-O-X visa may apply for other type of non-immigrant visa in order to stay in Thailand with the Non-O-X visa holder.
Upon the completion of 90 days stay period in Thailand, foreigners must notify the Immigration Bureau of their residence in Thailand and shall repeat at every 90 days interval.
Foreigners must report, in person, to the immigration officer every 1 year for the examination of the qualifications and supporting documents.
Stay permit of the Non-O-X visa holders may be revoked due to following conditions:
Foreigners do not have financial evidence as per stipulated by above qualifications such as:
- The sum of money in the bank account is less than 3 million Bath at the end of the first year of stay period in Thailand.
- The sum of money in the bank account is less than 1.5 million Baht at the end of the second year of stay period in Thailand, and/or the money in said account was spent outside Thailand.
2) Foreigners do not have insurance as per stipulated by above qualifications
3) Foreigners pose threat to peace and security of Thailand.
4) Foreigners work without permission.
2EC482A4-5250-4490-A86D-3AD7B4DD33A3.png
F8CCC05F-CC16-44CC-91E9-D1705E4F916E.png
76B81B9F-0197-4AFF-A661-3B810318EE09.jpeg

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 22, 2022, 6:45 pm

Thank you STWW. Haven't read it all yet

Probably as stupid question, but can one apply and get one before they actually retire

Or is it a matter of doing it in Thailand and having to spend/wait that initial 60 days or so period in Thailand on your of Non O visa, before then spending another xx Days applying for the 5 Year Retirement Visa, before you can then scarp it back overseas.

I understand many are getting their Non O Visas, these days when actually on shore in Thailand and not through Thai Embassies when overseas.

pipoz4444

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » July 22, 2022, 7:05 pm

Anyone over 50 can apply for retirement visa
I know guys on this and are still working offshore

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 22, 2022, 7:49 pm

noos has it right when it comes to extensions done in-country but can be harder for a visa issued back home. The confusion with regard to applying at the Thai Embassy in London is they (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) apply the UK legal determination of being 65 or older to qualify for a retirement visa whereas Thai Immigration (the Royal Thai Police) rules are 50 years and older. Hence younger retirees 'convert' to a Ret Ext in Thailand whereas some old geezers prefer to jump through the visa hoops back home.

More recently, some immigration offices have asked to see proof of official pension when guys are renewing their extension. This is impossible for the young retiree which is why agents were invented.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 22, 2022, 8:49 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
July 22, 2022, 6:45 pm
Thank you STWW. Haven't read it all yet

Probably as stupid question, but can one apply and get one before they actually retire
Yes you can, but the country where you are resident may not have it available.

pipoz4444 wrote:
Or is it a matter of doing it in Thailand and having to spend/wait that initial 60 days or so period in Thailand on your of Non O visa, before then spending another xx Days applying for the 5 Year Retirement Visa, before you can then scarp it back overseas.
The procedure in Thailand is totally unclear it is a very new visa, I have not seen any guidance for the application. At the moment the only information that it is available in Thailand comes from the foreign ministry (embassies) and they have nothing to do with issuing visas in Thailand. So you need to ask immigration.
pipoz4444 wrote:

I understand many are getting their Non O Visas, these days when actually on shore in Thailand and not through Thai Embassies when overseas.

pipoz4444
I have no idea on the numbers actually getting Visas in Thailand, there is talk but that doesn’t equal applications. The procedure is rather less than clear as some immigration offices do not completely follow the guidelines. But it does seem a little easier for some, specially those whose funds do not actually meat the requirements so they can use agents

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 22, 2022, 11:05 pm

noosard wrote:
July 22, 2022, 7:05 pm
Anyone over 50 can apply for retirement visa
I know guys on this and are still working offshore
Thanks and I am well past 50 :D :D

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 22, 2022, 11:18 pm

Hi STWW and Thank you. Re: "I have no idea on the numbers actually getting Visas in Thailand, there is talk but that doesn’t equal applications. The procedure is rather less than clear as some immigration offices do not completely follow the guidelines. But it does seem a little easier for some, specially those whose funds do not actually meat the requirements so they can use agents".

I know several guys who returned to Thailand, after Covid-19 restrictions eased up, via/on Tourist visas. They were actually retired at the time of their return to Thailand, in the first half of 2021. All in their late 60's. All had already had established Thai Bank accounts and places to live, etc. in Thailand, at the time of their return. None were married to a Thai or anyone for that matter. \:D/ \:D/

Part way through their tourist stay, they went and first got a 30 days extension to their TV. Then midway through that extension period, they applied and got their Non O Visa whilst in Thailand, in BKK.

Now they have moved on to and got their 12 month Retirement Visa status. Don't think any of them have left Thailand, since the landed back in early 2021. One has recently renewed his 12 month Retirement Visa, with no issue.

It was easy for them, because they have/were officially retired.

Me, well I am still going to do another 26 month works overseas, so technically I am not retired yet and I do have the luxury to sit around in Thailand for three months, to go though that process. So, I suppose I will just have to wait, until I actually decide to stop working. :-k :-k

pipoz4444

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 23, 2022, 9:46 am

tamada wrote:
July 22, 2022, 7:49 pm
noos has it right when it comes to extensions done in-country but can be harder for a visa issued back home. The confusion with regard to applying at the Thai Embassy in London is they (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) apply the UK legal determination of being 65 or older to qualify for a retirement visa whereas Thai Immigration (the Royal Thai Police) rules are 50 years and older. Hence younger retirees 'convert' to a Ret Ext in Thailand whereas some old geezers prefer to jump through the visa hoops back home.

More recently, some immigration offices have asked to see proof of official pension when guys are renewing their extension. This is impossible for the young retiree which is why agents were invented.
Maybe I'm not reading this correctly but, if you're suggesting that you cant get a retirement Visa in London if you're under 65, then that's incorrect.

I got a Non O multi entry in March this year based on retirement.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » July 23, 2022, 10:07 am

samster wrote:
July 23, 2022, 9:46 am
tamada wrote:

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly but, if you're suggesting that you cant get a retirement Visa in London if you're under 65, then that's incorrect.

Correct Samster, there getting confused with retirement and the pension. You can retire at any age you decide, the pension is up to government policy.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 23, 2022, 12:49 pm

samster wrote:
tamada wrote:

I stand corrected sir. Maybe I misread someone's post on the 'big forum' when he couldn't fulfill the RTE London's requirement of proof of finances?

For clarity, what does the RTE London require for financial proof for the younger retiree?

Ta
tam
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 23, 2022, 2:25 pm

tamada wrote:
July 23, 2022, 12:49 pm
samster wrote:
tamada wrote:

I stand corrected sir. Maybe I misread someone's post on the 'big forum' when he couldn't fulfill the RTE London's requirement of proof of finances?

For clarity, what does the RTE London require for financial proof for the younger retiree?

Ta
tam
No idea. Just sent my bank statement which has a healthy balance and regular income. As you might be a Nigerian gangster, I'm not gonna give any more info :D

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 24, 2022, 8:19 am

^ LOL...cheers samster. The RTE like most all embassies and consulates stick to their published criteria. It's a pity that the RTP in charge of local immigration tend make it up as they go along.

twas ever thus
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 25, 2022, 7:05 am

tamada wrote:
July 24, 2022, 8:19 am
^ LOL...cheers samster. The RTE like most all embassies and consulates stick to their published criteria. It's a pity that the RTP in charge of local immigration tend make it up as they go along.

twas ever thus
Your forgetting TAMADA, local officers are so scared of making a mistake and loss of face that each and every time they dot the i's and cross the T's numerous times on numerous copies just the show they have done a good job.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 25, 2022, 9:54 am

tamada wrote:
July 24, 2022, 8:19 am

samster wrote:

FWIW @tamada going by @samster experience the RTE does not only go by their published requirements.

The RTE London, according to the published documents only allows single entry Non-O for retirement, there is no multi entry listed. So that is one discrepancy.

The Non-O-A or Non-O-X are the only multi entry visas listed

The financial requirements for a single entry Non-0 for retirement are
Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
So if you are over 50, keep about ฿450k (10,000) in a U.K. bank or have a pension you can get a SE Non-O.

Only @samster will know if there were more requirements for a ME Non-O and the process for getting it as it’s not listed.

It is certainly possible that there may be more deposit required
3AC55054-BF56-470C-8894-AD1E6899E55A.jpeg

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”