covid insurance for all visa extensions ?

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
Charlieb
udonmap.com

Re: covid insurance for all visa extensions ?

Post by Charlieb » June 16, 2021, 1:04 pm

Does this mean when you exceed the age of 74 you are kicked out of the country? All of the insurance companies seem to cover up to age 74.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 16, 2021, 1:23 pm

Charlieb wrote:
June 16, 2021, 1:04 pm
Does this mean when you exceed the age of 74 you are kicked out of the country? All of the insurance companies seem to cover up to age 74.
YES ... oh btw can i have you new replacement TCL tv charlie ? :lol: :lol:

Dont worry im sure it wont come to that mate ... but just in case dont forget the tv ok

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 16, 2021, 1:37 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
June 16, 2021, 12:43 pm
tamada wrote:
June 16, 2021, 12:25 pm
Here's an update on the recently proposed insurance requirements and it does suggest that it will apply to the serial long-time lurkers like DM.
Ive been ""serial long stay lurking"" here legally for over 20 years Tam .. and ive experienced a few different visa types .. Tourist , Married , Business and Non O dependancy the rules and regs have changed so many times you just got to go with the flow and supply the correct docs to match the criteria... and IMO the same goes with this new POSSIBLE add on to applications .. its another wait n see job same as the vaccine situation.

I think this will happen .. regardless if you have been vaccinated or not and in the future one may have to show proof of vaccine plus covid insurance when applying for a visa... lots of miles in this yet.

DM
Totally agree with you. I only mentioned you since you directly questioned if those depending on Extensions are included. I reckoned that it would be illogical not to but then again, here we are in illogical times in an illogical country.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 16, 2021, 2:16 pm

One to ponder - how does being inoculated fit into a scheme requiring insurance for the same disease?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 16, 2021, 3:03 pm

jackspratt wrote:
June 16, 2021, 2:16 pm
One to ponder - how does being inoculated fit into a scheme requiring insurance for the same disease?
Im only an expert on football , weather traffic scones and sausages but IMO 8) and i may be wrong but being fully vaccinated does not stop you 100% never getting covid only not dying from it ... therefore requiring some treatment and or hospitalization incurring costs thus insurance could still be set as a requirement.

DM

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » June 16, 2021, 3:41 pm

the bangkok post article is gone . link broken
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 16, 2021, 4:37 pm

jackspratt wrote:
As I read the news on potential visitors to, say, the Phuket sandbox, having been vaccinated doesn't affect the need for quarantine, and the Thai Embassy DC website shows covid insurance still required for entry (no mention of having been vaccinated).

My own personal experience, having been vaccinated......the vaccination card is just a piece of paper. Unlike a passport, there's no way to verify that the information on the piece of paper is valid, at least at an airport outside your home country.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 16, 2021, 5:03 pm

parrot wrote:
June 16, 2021, 4:37 pm
jackspratt wrote:
As I read the news on potential visitors to, say, the Phuket sandbox, having been vaccinated doesn't affect the need for quarantine, and the Thai Embassy DC website shows covid insurance still required for entry (no mention of having been vaccinated).

My own personal experience, having been vaccinated......the vaccination card is just a piece of paper. Unlike a passport, there's no way to verify that the information on the piece of paper is valid, at least at an airport outside your home country.
Whether regional or worldwide IMO a strong possibility of some sort of vaccines photo ID card in the future...

Just seen in Indonesia they are giving a strange incentive to everyone who has the vaccine ... a free chicken .. thats not KFC ..its a live chicken with clucking and feathers =D>

DM

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 16, 2021, 5:49 pm

Foreign nationals with the non-immigrant O-A visa, sometimes known as a retirement visa, will in the future have to prove they have insurance coverage of at least US$100,000 (three million baht) against Covid-19.

The proposal was approved in principle by the cabinet on Tuesday and Traisuree Taisaranakul, deputy spokeswoman for the government, said it would apply to all holders of the one-year visa.

The new rule follows an amendment to the regulations approved by the cabinet in April last year.

The extra Covid-19 insurance coverage regulation does not apply to other non-immigrant visa categories: marriage, business, educational and media, among others.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -o-a-visas
UPDATED: 16 JUN 2021 AT 17:32

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 16, 2021, 7:43 pm

jackspratt wrote:
You can still get covid even if you are vacinated some cases although small in number do warrant a hospital stay hence the insurance requirements.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 16, 2021, 8:24 pm

noosard wrote:
June 16, 2021, 5:49 pm
Foreign nationals with the non-immigrant O-A visa, sometimes known as a retirement visa, will in the future have to prove they have insurance coverage of at least US$100,000 (three million baht) against Covid-19.

The proposal was approved in principle by the cabinet on Tuesday and Traisuree Taisaranakul, deputy spokeswoman for the government, said it would apply to all holders of the one-year visa.

The new rule follows an amendment to the regulations approved by the cabinet in April last year.

The extra Covid-19 insurance coverage regulation does not apply to other non-immigrant visa categories: marriage, business, educational and media, among others.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -o-a-visas
UPDATED: 16 JUN 2021 AT 17:32
The Bangkok Post's mulligan of their original bastardized translation of the official edict still doesn't mention those on extensions like the Nation's bastardized translation of the official edict does.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 16, 2021, 8:48 pm

dunroaming wrote:
June 16, 2021, 7:43 pm
jackspratt wrote:
You can still get covid even if you are vacinated some cases although small in number do warrant a hospital stay hence the insurance requirements.
Thanks - and also to DM. I hadn't really considered that.

The way I am reading it - and it's far too early to get a strong read - the new provision will apply in the same way as the current one ie applicable to O-A on a visa or extension based on retirement, but with a higher insurance cover, and flexibility for the poor buggers over 70 who can't get insurance.

If I am correct, it does not change for O visas/extensions, nor to O-A based on marriage, dependants etc

Let's see what comes out over the next few days/weeks.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 17, 2021, 12:29 am

The Bangkok Post have apologized for getting the story wrong.
The Covid insurance referred to is only for the OA visas.

"An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that the new insurance requirement applied to holders of all non-immigrant visas. We apologise for the error." (Bangkok Post)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » June 17, 2021, 3:48 pm

ah, IF your home country national insurance covers it or if you have a policy you're good if your embassy or Foreign Ministry certify it covers you... But, I don't know about other expat embassies but the American Embassy will NOT certify any insurance. I see this rule amended with an addendum stating you must buy the insurance from an "approved" Thai company much like the OA Health Insurance scam... Time to switch to a Marriage visa although eventually I'm sure that those will require the health and COVID coverage too. Just a tad ironic that they've got another committee over at TAT that is scheming up ways to get "rich" foreigners to retire here....
Dave

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 17, 2021, 4:17 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
June 17, 2021, 3:48 pm
ah, IF your home country national insurance covers it or if you have a policy you're good if your embassy or Foreign Ministry certify it covers you... But, I don't know about other expat embassies but the American Embassy will NOT certify any insurance. I see this rule amended with an addendum stating you must buy the insurance from an "approved" Thai company much like the OA Health Insurance scam... Time to switch to a Marriage visa although eventually I'm sure that those will require the health and COVID coverage too. Just a tad ironic that they've got another committee over at TAT that is scheming up ways to get "rich" foreigners to retire here....
Yes seems a bit weird one sector enticing retirees here whilst another is adding red tape hoops to make it less appealing.

Im pretty sure in the not to distant future this new covid insurance criteria will be a requirement for other visas inc marriage , business and dependent .. and maybe also insurance shown for the dependent child within the application as well.. ??

Im guessing most insurance companies with add this into existing policies which will mean a premium increase .. time will tell.

DM

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 18, 2021, 10:06 am

Makes being vaccinated a joke then .

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 18, 2021, 10:10 am

Khun Paul wrote:
June 18, 2021, 10:06 am
Makes being vaccinated a joke then .
Why ? please explain

IMO .. Having the vaccine free or otherwise surely is a benefit regardless if one is insured against it or not.

DM

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » June 18, 2021, 12:29 pm

Latest from Bangkok Post says you can self insure if you do not qualify for insurance or have insurance from home country.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... irus-cover

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 5, 2021, 11:29 am

The powers that be have finally acknowledged there is confusion re insurance, retirement extension and O-A visa holders. I know as I had 4 calls for extension holders in a flap about 4 weeks ago after seeing some crap on Thai Television as well as rumors.

Some clarity from ASEAN NOW:-
https://aseannow.com/topic/1238210-elde ... and-covid/
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”