visa problem help

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
samuel
udonmap.com

Re: visa problem help

Post by samuel » March 11, 2021, 2:18 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
March 11, 2021, 10:53 am
BTW they have also found another way to get an extra B1900 every 10 yrs. When I went last time they would only give the extension for the duration of the passport, so unless you renew your passport over a year early (not even sure that's allowed) you only get a 5 or 6 month extension and have to renew again when you have your new passport costing another B1900 and bank fees and photo charges etc (I hope that all those who use to complain about the "tip" required to get the 12 month extension transferred to their new passport are happy now)
here is my personal experience from last month:

my passport expires 01.08.2021
my extension based on marriage expires on 25.05.2021
on 22.02.2021 i went to Bangkok (one day trip) to apply for a new passport at the embassy.
my new passport (valid for 10 years) arrived via EMS at my home in UTH on 05.03.2021 (!!!).
on 08.03.2021 i went to UTH immigration to have my visa and my extension transferred to the new passport.
done in 10 minutes > fee 500 baht. =D>

my next 90 day is due 10.05.2021.
by that time i will apply for another yearly extension based on marriage.

for me it appears logical that immigration is not giving extension over a period that the passport already expires.
all in all it's only a matter of planning everything ahead.
maybe some embassies should speed up the process of issuing new passports. mine did a perfect job in what i think sets almost a new record time (12 days). =D>

sorry - can't complain at all - all smooth as silk.
:D

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » March 11, 2021, 2:28 pm

dragonz wrote:
March 11, 2021, 9:42 am
….so please do not tell me to keep her mouth shut as its you that is not polite…
sorry for the misunderstanding sir.
i did not mean your wife in person.
i just wanted to point out that hot blooded (thai) wives are not of any help when dealing with government offices.
again sorry.
wai

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » March 11, 2021, 2:55 pm

samuel wrote:
March 11, 2021, 2:18 pm
stattointhailand wrote:
BTW they have also found another way to get an extra B1900 every 10 yrs. When I went last time they would only give the extension for the duration of the passport, so unless you renew your passport over a year early (not even sure that's allowed) you only get a 5 or 6 month extension and have to renew again when you have your new passport costing another B1900 and bank fees and photo charges etc (I hope that all those who use to complain about the "tip" required to get the 12 month extension transferred to their new passport are happy now)
here is my personal experience from last month:

my passport expires 01.08.2021
my extension based on marriage expires on 25.05.2021
on 22.02.2021 i went to Bangkok (one day trip) to apply for a new passport at the embassy.
my new passport (valid for 10 years) arrived via EMS at my home in UTH on 05.03.2021 (!!!).
on 08.03.2021 i went to UTH immigration to have my visa and my extension transferred to the new passport.
done in 10 minutes > fee 500 baht. =D>

my next 90 day is due 10.05.2021.
by that time i will apply for another yearly extension based on marriage.

for me it appears logical that immigration is not giving extension over a period that the passport already expires.
all in all it's only a matter of planning everything ahead.
maybe some embassies should speed up the process of issuing new passports. mine did a perfect job in what i think sets almost a new record time (12 days). =D>

sorry - can't complain at all - all smooth as silk.
:D
What nationality are you

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 11, 2021, 3:57 pm

Hoopoe wrote:
March 11, 2021, 11:39 am
Whistler wrote:
March 11, 2021, 11:32 am
Issues at Immigration can all be resolved.

1. Be humble and appear greatful
2. The slim guy in the yellow shirt will suggest a number to resolve any issues.
3. Thank him for being so helpful, but ask if he can discount a bit.
4. Don't argue

I had a worse problem than you on Monday, I followed this process, yes a trip to the ATM, but all was resolved.
If you don't mind being hustled extorted , i couldn't agree with you more , but it's getting out of hand the extortion tactics payments in UDON I/O , they create circumstances (that are not actually there by law , )why do you think he has a shiny new merc parked outside ,
Hoopoe.

A much wiser man than me gave me a wonderful piece of advice on day

'That which cannot be cured, must be endured'
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » March 11, 2021, 4:05 pm

Visa transfer to a new passport : 500 Baht ?? Since when. It is supposed to be free?

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 11, 2021, 5:15 pm

Cant wat for the borders to reopen
Back to holidays and multiple reentry visas
No dealing with these clowns

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 11, 2021, 5:18 pm

the-monk wrote:
March 11, 2021, 4:05 pm
Visa transfer to a new passport : 500 Baht ?? Since when.
Since Udon Immo started bending people over the desk with an offer very hard to refuse.
It is supposed to be free?
Yes

Same as the THB500 extortion for the meant-to-be-free "address letter".

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 11, 2021, 5:57 pm

jackspratt wrote:
March 11, 2021, 5:18 pm
the-monk wrote:
March 11, 2021, 4:05 pm
Visa transfer to a new passport : 500 Baht ?? Since when.
Since Udon Immo started bending people over the desk with an offer very hard to refuse.
It is supposed to be free?
Yes

Same as the THB500 extortion for the meant-to-be-free "address letter".
Hey! If it's good enough for Jomtien and Chiang Mai, it's good enough for Udon!

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » March 13, 2021, 1:00 pm

No need for any bad post on this thread it was a cry for help i and i got a lot for a change thank you.
All`s well that ends well .I PHONED UDON IMM last thing in the day on thursday as they were shutting and spoke to a woman and explained what happened and in 2 weeks or so i will not have a visa so what should i do ? I also said i would be going to nong khai imm on monday to to complain and to see what i should do . instantly the really nice helpful lady said she knew the problem as she was there and saw .She also told me the guy was not normally on the desk and i got the drift he is not liked there
She told me come in on fri 9am that the guy would not be there and tell my wife to come in at 9.30 am sign the forms and she could go.
I got there 9am did all the paperwork my wife turned up at 9.40 . At 9.50 my wife and new witness were finished and gone and i was finished at 10 am . She was polite professional and happy as it should be . Excellent and all with the same paperwork and photos of the day before except new kor ror 22.
9.55 the guy came in in civilian clothes looked at me but said nothing but for 5 minutes my heart was racing.
Office is good with the new blue and black uniforms and all seemed happy with their work except for the guy who abused me and my wife.
makes you realise one ars eho le can literally ruin your life just because he wants to.,
Thanks again for the advice

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 13, 2021, 5:39 pm

Giggle wrote:
March 11, 2021, 12:15 pm
NK is also clipping annual extensions to the passport expiry date as well.
This is standard in all offices. It’s not special to region 4
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 13, 2021, 5:57 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
If that is the leaflet I'm thinking of it was produced in 2008 and is a "guide" in both Thai and English. (possibly been updated, but probably by the sound of it not corrected). It has been pointed out on this forum many times over the years that it should read 2 months for the first renewal and 3 months thereafter, this has been checked and confirmed several times with Immigration . It also states you need TWO copies of every document (but if you take two they just give one back to you as they only want one).
The 2 copies is for marriage extensions, they have taken, and use, both that I give them, this could have changed in the last 7 months. Also TIT so your experience can be different from mine.

Retirement extensions only need 1 set.

The requirement for both marriage and retirement extensions for money in the bank changed a couple of years ago. It is now 2 months before for both. For marriage it was always 2 months before never 3 months.

For retirement the old retirement was 2 months for the first, for later ones 3 months.

For marriage there’s no retirement to keep a balance after you receive your extension (you may be asked to show that it’s still there after applying and before receiving the extension)

There is a requirement to keep money in the bank after receiving a retirement extension (I won’t bother to list it here)

The limit on extensions to the passport validity has been in place nationwide for quite a while (years), I can’t give a date that it was introduced as the policy document hasn’t been published AFIK so was probably an internal memo.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » March 27, 2021, 6:44 am

dragonz wrote:
March 13, 2021, 1:00 pm
No need for any bad post on this thread it was a cry for help i and i got a lot for a change thank you.
All`s well that ends well .I PHONED UDON IMM last thing in the day on thursday as they were shutting and spoke to a woman and explained what happened and in 2 weeks or so i will not have a visa so what should i do ? I also said i would be going to nong khai imm on monday to to complain and to see what i should do . instantly the really nice helpful lady said she knew the problem as she was there and saw .She also told me the guy was not normally on the desk and i got the drift he is not liked there
She told me come in on fri 9am that the guy would not be there and tell my wife to come in at 9.30 am sign the forms and she could go.
I got there 9am did all the paperwork my wife turned up at 9.40 . At 9.50 my wife and new witness were finished and gone and i was finished at 10 am . She was polite professional and happy as it should be . Excellent and all with the same paperwork and photos of the day before except new kor ror 22.
9.55 the guy came in in civilian clothes looked at me but said nothing but for 5 minutes my heart was racing.
Office is good with the new blue and black uniforms and all seemed happy with their work except for the guy who abused me and my wife.
makes you realise one ars eho le can literally ruin your life just because he wants to.,
Hi dragonz
i've only just seen this , (don't know why ) great result , i've got to agree with you (all beit it's easy to tar all in the office with the same brush ,"so to speak as i do ) but i suspect he paid for his position , and those in the office follow suit or possible loss of jobs in the pipe line ,he is recouping expenses , and has to meet the Merc payments ,but would have thought the amount of people he's extorted over the last 2 years he could pay for it out right ,
And yes when he's not there everyone in that office are very helpful ,i think it was Jum/Duem that finally sorted you out , she as far as i know is the longest serving officer in the office ,as far as i'm concerned should have got the position of office manager , but in this country of corruption what should happen is rarely what will happen , , good luck to you

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 27, 2021, 8:44 am

dragonz wrote:
March 13, 2021, 1:00 pm
Good result dragonz. Nobody needs to be dicked about on what should be a routine, annual procedure. It looks like they are playing the bad cop/good cop game and as long as the honest and helpful staff don't start seeking backhanders, patience and virtue can win.

I reckon Hoopoe nailed it with his rationale why this guy is allowed to rule the roost when he's in the office.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » March 27, 2021, 2:21 pm

I have never been anything but polite to Thailand Immigration officers. I have never broken any laws or been in any sort of trouble. I've never missed an extension window and have made every 90-day without issue for 15 years. I put money in the bank and leave it there year-round. I answer their questions thoroughly and directly. My paperwork is always complete including all originals and copies of everything. Excepting the yearly "change," which is inevitable, I'm always able to get it done they same day, but always required to rush out and do something different than the year before. Stopping-in a week early to check what is required is not a good solution, as even that has proven useless. But I never complain. For example, I never tell them that Udon applicants aren't required bedroom photos for their annual retirement extensions. And I never got upset when Mr. Happy threw my passport across the Aek Udon Hospital basement office when I meekly suggested the requirement was a million in the bank OR proof of pension, not BOTH. No matter how rude, incompetent or unprofessional they are, I always get my extension. And infrequently, just sometimes, they're polite and efficient.

One late December morning in 2018, I went into the NK immigration office for my annual extension, number 13. After the expected "new" requirement which necessitated a trip back to my bank, the paperwork was done just before lunch and we (wife [required] and I) were told to return after lunch to pick it up. We did. The new lady boss-in-charge walked into the room and approached my wife and I with my passport in her hand. She also had the big log book and placed it on the table next to my wife. After muttering something to the effect of "this signature is surely worth something special," she signed the log book and handed it and my passport back to the IO handling my extension. Another four minutes of stamps and and a new 90-day slip, and we were about finished. As my wife and I stood up to leave, the new boss lady sauntered over to us and, standing a meter away, pointed directly at me and scowled, "We will get rid of every one of you, one by one." That is a direct quite.

My wife's jaw hit the floor as she scampered around the boss toward the door. I just looked at her and smiled. She was blocking my way out the door and seemed as if she was waiting for a response, so I simply said, "Good luck with that," and made my exit.

Immigration visits are like a box of chocolates.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 27, 2021, 3:41 pm

I, too, am happy you’ve sorted the problems, dragonZ, in what was a frustrating and upsetting situation. Just a couple of observations, not that I’m expecting anything to change.
I have to say that, if it’s accurate that the form the witness has to sign requires him/her to be the guarantor of the applicant, that’s ridiculous and outrageous. To certify that he/she knows the applicant, has done so for x years, the address of the applicant etc., fine, but the implication that the witness could be held responsible if the applicant ‘messes up’! Strange that this, apparently, has not been mentioned before, which I feel is probably because a Thai will often not easily confront ‘Authority’, signs without reading and may have difficulty in translating the form into English, for the benefit of the applicant. I’m sure a copy of the form is not given automatically to the witness or applicant, but it would be good to obtain a basic copy and have it properly translated.
Hoopoe refers to another form, which the applicant (and wife?) is required to sign. I believe it amounts to a summary of personal information/circumstances, but it’s in Thai and you’re not automatically given a copy. I’ve queried a couple of times that I’m being asked to sign something I cannot read. I actually tried to endorse the form to that effect, but the Officer threw a bit of a wobbly and just issued me a new document. One officer suggested my wife could translate for me but a)I doubt she could translate everything accurately into English to my satisfaction and b)not being given a copy, I’m sure it wouldn’t go down well waiting a while for her to attempt to translate in the office.
I don’t find the above procedures satisfactory, not least that, if it suited Immigration at a future date, the signing of the forms could come back to ‘bite’ the witness or applicant.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » March 28, 2021, 8:06 am

Brian Davis wrote:
March 27, 2021, 3:41 pm

Hoopoe refers to another form, which the applicant (and wife?) is required to sign. I believe it amounts to a summary of personal information/circumstances, but it’s in Thai and you’re not automatically given a copy. I’ve queried a couple of times that I’m being asked to sign something I cannot read. I actually tried to endorse the form to that effect, but the Officer threw a bit of a wobbly and just issued me a new document. One officer suggested my wife could translate for me but a)I doubt she could translate everything accurately into English to my satisfaction and b)not being given a copy, I’m sure it wouldn’t go down well waiting a while for her to attempt to translate in the office.
I don’t find the above procedures satisfactory, not least that, if it suited Immigration at a future date, the signing of the forms could come back to ‘bite’ the witness or applicant.
Hi Brian , my experience is there are a further 4 form to sign after the TM7 ,
1, as you already know is for the witness ,which has just come to light (through Dragonz ) the witness guarantee ,
2 , information form that you understand the penalties for failing to apply for an extention and 90 day report fines ,which i presume includes the Tm 28 'Tm 30 rules and fines failing to do so ,
3, that you understand that if you have any court cases ,/police investigation into you ,,this must be reported to Immigration ,
4, is the one i've not got any clarity on as of this moment ,maybe one day i'll get it ,

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 28, 2021, 8:53 am

Hoopoe wrote:
March 28, 2021, 8:06 am
Hi Brian , my experience is there are a further 4 form to sign after the TM7 ,
1, as you already know is for the witness ,which has just come to light (through Dragonz ) the witness guarantee ,
2 , information form that you understand the penalties for failing to apply for an extention and 90 day report fines ,which i presume includes the Tm 28 'Tm 30 rules and fines failing to do so ,
3, that you understand that if you have any court cases ,/police investigation into you ,,this must be reported to Immigration ,
4, is the one i've not got any clarity on as of this moment ,maybe one day i'll get it ,
Thanks, Hoopoe. Yes, I think it's nos. 1 and 4 I have an issue with, as the others are, I'm fairly sure, in English. To be honest, I'm probably bored stiff by the time these 'extras' appear, having signed again nearly every page of two copies of my comprehensive actual application. Is it really necessary to rubber stamp/sign every page, when they've had almost identical applications for many years, presumably filed copies somewhere, a computer record. I think I'm contributing to global warming!
I said I thought No.4 was a summary of information, because on one previous occasion, I was able to make out my parents' names on there.

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » March 28, 2021, 11:40 am

Brian Davis wrote:
March 27, 2021, 3:41 pm
I, too, am happy you’ve sorted the problems, dragonZ, in what was a frustrating and upsetting situation. Just a couple of observations, not that I’m expecting anything to change.
I have to say that, if it’s accurate that the form the witness has to sign requires him/her to be the guarantor of the applicant, that’s ridiculous and outrageous. To certify that he/she knows the applicant, has done so for x years, the address of the applicant etc., fine, but the implication that the witness could be held responsible if the applicant ‘messes up’! Strange that this, apparently, has not been mentioned before, which I feel is probably because a Thai will often not easily confront ‘Authority’, signs without reading and may have difficulty in translating the form into English, for the benefit of the applicant. I’m sure a copy of the form is not given automatically to the witness or applicant, but it would be good to obtain a basic copy and have it properly translated.
Yu are pretty much spot on . the problem with the witness was that for years i just got one my old neighbours who was poor and uneducated and took them gave them 300 baht and a meal but they never read the form just signed it .
Last time i took an old dragon who was a pretty strict head teacher . everyone was scared of her but she has a good heart . This document is a lot of writing and she took it sat down for 20 mins and read it then refused to sign it as she said she did not want to be responsible for my behaviour ?! She told me that if i did something wrong she could be held responsible . I dont know
Then of course you have the couple of pages document all in thai which i was asked to sign . i at first refused but they got upset so i signed but have no idea what it said . why is it not in thai/english take minutes to translate. Obviously they do not want you to know what it says.
I have signed it on numerous occasions with no problem but there may come a time when you have a bad problem and they say sorry cannot help as you signed the form ?

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » March 28, 2021, 11:56 am

samuel wrote:
March 11, 2021, 2:28 pm
dragonz wrote:
March 11, 2021, 9:42 am
….so please do not tell me to keep her mouth shut as its you that is not polite…
sorry for the misunderstanding sir.
i did not mean your wife in person.
i just wanted to point out that hot blooded (thai) wives are not of any help when dealing with government offices.
again sorry.
wai
sorry only just seen this no problem :) i understand what you mean as a thai wife when riled can be destructive but better you said tell her not to talk than keep her mouth shut as she did for the whole interview
He never said if you do not come back i will not get a visa he was just ordering her/telling her in an angry voice she will come back tomorrow

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 28, 2021, 2:47 pm

I think the plethora of forms, the many rubber stamps and signatures required are part of the bureaucratic culture. Surely many of them could be digitized and pulled back up on a computer screen to update for a new extension.. I also scratch my head at the extension and re-entry stamps that with ink notations on them that are nigh illegible. Why not a stick in foil similar to how many countries now do Visas?? It sure would simplify things..
Dave

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”