The COVID-19/Corona Virus Forum

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: The COVID-19/Corona Virus Forum

Post by vincemunday » March 17, 2020, 6:31 am

There’s some pretty serious numbers coming through now and I think the decision to lock some places down is the right decision. Seeing this disease has only been known to us for 3 months or so it’s quite devastating.
Attachments
8A1ED5D0-5EA1-49BC-BCD3-5C976F06C37A.png

The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 17, 2020, 6:38 am

For any Australians interested this site is being continually updated giving State by State statistics and graphs as well as demographics:-

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-17/ ... a/12060704
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 17, 2020, 6:40 am

Some good news coming out of the States but 18 months is too long, perhaps protocol should be dropped on this one.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/18801 ... us-vaccine
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 17, 2020, 7:41 am

Unfortunately the death numbers are in general the only ones that have accurate reporting.

The numbers of confirmed cases in all most all countries is certainly much lower than the actual infection rate. The only country where it’s going to be close to a true number is South Korea where virtually everyone is getting, or can get, tested.

The true mortality rate will vary depending on the numbers of vulnerable individuals and available ICU beds

The mortality rate in South Korea is between 0.77 and 0.88
So the U.K. report of 55 deaths gives
A more true infection number of 55/0.0088 = 6,250
Or 55/0.0077 = 7,142

These numbers above will probably be a lower than true infection numbers as the U.K. ICUs probably have capacity for virtually all people needing them at the moment.

The problems will be coming when the demand increases to the point that the beds are not available so patients who could be saved can not be given the correct treatment and so die.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 17, 2020, 8:30 am

Have been reading a book by Bob Hope recently and one passage that stood out

" There is an old proverb that those who don't learn from history are destine to repeat its mistakes"

No need to say more

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 17, 2020, 8:47 am

Bill Gates, a very, very astute man, he also put a lot of money into research via his foundation.

https://youtu.be/6Af6b_wyiwI

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » March 17, 2020, 9:18 am

Article in Khaosod about where to get tests done & prices.
It is mainly Bangkok hospitals

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/cri ... s-testing/

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » March 17, 2020, 9:29 am

Doodoo wrote:
March 17, 2020, 8:30 am
Have been reading a book by Bob Hope recently and one passage that stood out

" There is an old proverb that those who don't learn from history are destine to repeat its mistakes"

No need to say more

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » March 17, 2020, 1:10 pm

Here is a link to a global Map.
Johns Hopkins University is actively monitoring the global COVID-19 outbreak, with particular focus on the health and well-being of the university community, as well as on the continuity of university operations. This website is updated daily, and all members of the JHU community are advised to check back regularly for new information.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar ... 7b48e9ecf6
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » March 17, 2020, 3:35 pm

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 17, 2020, 3:37 pm

I’ve read somewhere that pork is being sold in Tesco and Big C for 320 baht a kilo, anyone seen this? We only paid 128 baht a kilo earlier today at Makro.

I’m thinking this might be for organic pork which is always really expensive, I hope.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 30, 2020, 9:49 pm

Some interesting graphics here.

https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/
th active.jpg
Active
th confirmed.jpg
Confirmed
th new case.jpg
New Case

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » March 31, 2020, 2:53 pm

Udon Map wrote:
March 15, 2020, 5:57 pm
I have created this sub-forum to consolidate all information and discussion about Covid-19 Corona Virus. If you wish to start a new thread related to the virus, please do it here. Also, please respect the Important Information thread, locked at the top of this forum. It is not for discussion; it is only for the dissemination of information. All discussion should take place in other threads in the sub-forum.
Please feel free to send any questions to me at [email protected]
Thanks!!
I am seeking the answers to the following, COVD-19 related, matters, which my extremely limited computer expertise has not enabled me to uncover. Can anyone help?
PLEASE, no hearsay or personal opinions, (no matter how well intentioned), just verifiable factual responses.
Thank you.

1. What is COVD-19 death like? (i.e. degree of suffering, pain and consciousness in the final terminal stages).

2. Are there any drugs to lessen the suffering, which could be taken which would speed up the progress of COVD-19, should the patient decline medical treatment? (an example would be the production, or lodgement with the hospital, of a Living Will, specifically directing no life support measures be implemented).

3.What is is it like for the patient to be placed on a ventilator?

4. In the event of the patient dying of COVD-19 in the hospital. what are the directives/rules by which the hospital would be bound regarding the release/disposal of the , (infected), corpse?

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 31, 2020, 3:53 pm

Here is a link to the most definitive description I could find of what happens with Covid, it’s ugly but I hope it at least partly answers your questions.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... 5644545600

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 31, 2020, 5:01 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:
March 31, 2020, 2:53 pm

I am seeking the answers to the following, COVD-19 related, matters, which my extremely limited computer expertise has not enabled me to uncover. Can anyone help?
PLEASE, no hearsay or personal opinions, (no matter how well intentioned), just verifiable factual responses.
Thank you.

1. What is COVD-19 death like? (i.e. degree of suffering, pain and consciousness in the final terminal stages).

2. Are there any drugs to lessen the suffering, which could be taken which would speed up the progress of COVD-19, should the patient decline medical treatment? (an example would be the production, or lodgement with the hospital, of a Living Will, specifically directing no life support measures be implemented).

3.What is is it like for the patient to be placed on a ventilator?

4. In the event of the patient dying of COVD-19 in the hospital. what are the directives/rules by which the hospital would be bound regarding the release/disposal of the , (infected), corpse?

2) a opium based drug such a morphine in sufficiently high doses would be effective
3) in many hospitals a ventilated patient is in a medically induced coma so they have no knowledge of the intubation.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » March 31, 2020, 5:41 pm

Simply put.
Attachments
Virus.jpg

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » March 31, 2020, 6:05 pm

vincemunday & sometimewoodworker.

My sincere thanks to you both, for your efforts on my behalf.
As you suggested Vince,the contents of the link you have provided are not, I think, exactly suitable for bedtime reading. :roll: :-k
But then I believe humanity is gradually, and inevitably, moving towards obtaining the sort of world it deserves. I feel truly blessed to have lived in that period covered by my expected lifespan.
There only remains outstanding, question number 4, the answer to which I suspect can be readily obtained from Bangkok Hospital by my wife.
Again, my thanks.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 31, 2020, 6:43 pm

Mathusalah - I think you have a valid point, we deserve what’s coming, the viruses are mutating, getting stronger, more virulent which is perhaps being assisted by people sitting in labs in Wuhan or perhaps it's the theory of evolution actually happening who knows? Although I'm much younger than you I grew up in a time where we genuinely cared for each other, there wasn't much envy in the East End because everyone was broke and so people helped each other out far more, it seemed to me that as people got richer they grew envious, greedy and insular, nowadays they're less concerned about their families and more concerned about having the latest phone or tv. We are rather quickly destroying the planet, making it uninhabitable for other species and it would seem that some people are intent on eating any species that manages to survive this man made armageddon. Catching Covid19 isn't necessarily a death warrant, people of 16 are dying of it but some people of 90 or even a 100 plus are surviving, I won't say it's luck of the draw, there's nothing lucky about this virus. Stay well and if you need anything post on this forum, it's time for us to pull together.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 31, 2020, 9:10 pm

Getting More Serious by The Day in The U.K.Now......

UK announces record 390 more coronavirus deaths including 19-year-old with NO underlying health conditions taking British total to 1,798 fatalities
A massive 367 new coronavirus deaths have been recorded in England
Another 23 were added in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
England is the worst-hit country in the UK, with more than 1,600 deaths
One of the fatalities announced today was a formerly healthy 19-year-old
A new set of statistics launched today including deaths outside of hospitals

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 31, 2020, 11:25 pm

A point to consider is that there is a reasonable chance of an intubated patient recovering, it may be better than 60% - 80%

While a patient who is not intubated when required the chance of recovery is at 0%. To put it bluntly you drown.

You pays your money, you takes your chance.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”