Visa Extension

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Visa Extension

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 3, 2020, 3:08 pm

tamada wrote:
July 3, 2020, 1:00 pm
Kor Ror 5: Cannot. However, the 'can versus cannot' mystery resolved. If you were married on or after 2551 (2008), the fancy green-bordered name change certificate is available. If you were married 2550 (2007) or before, you can not get one but the details and verification of name change are apparently buried in the verbiage on the obverse side of the Kor Ror 2. Looks like someone in amphurland had a brain fart in 2008 and invented a certificate so they wouldn't need to type so much?
Very useful information, we haven’t needed/can’t get one as we got married in 2005. It has never been mentioned to us so I haven’t mentioned it in my posts.

For those who married in or after 2008 in Thailand and are using a marriage extension and who’s wife changed her name would you mind posting your Experience related to requirements for the KR5 When you extend. Thanks.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on July 3, 2020, 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 3, 2020, 3:33 pm

Honestly been here for donkeys years and never had any issues with a visa, seems to me everyone is different but can honestly say just following the rules no issue

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 3, 2020, 3:54 pm

dunroaming wrote:
July 3, 2020, 3:33 pm
Honestly been here for donkeys years and never had any issues with a visa, seems to me everyone is different but can honestly say just following the rules no issue
Very few people that I have heard of have any problems with a visa, you just need to know which consulates/embassy’s issue the visa you want and documents they require.

The problems happen when extending a permission to stay, often, but not always, when immigration changes requirements or starts enforcing requirements that they didn’t before.

This is of course talking about normal times. At the moment immigration issued extensions are using normal rules, the rest are unknown and probably will remain unknown until a couple of weeks before the amnesty finishes.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 3, 2020, 4:01 pm

The extension I got last week was my first. Never had the need for it before.
I just went into the Immigration Office a couple of weeks before, told them what I wanted to do & they gave me a leaflet. Compiled all the bits they asked for & went back in again & asked if everything was okay, which it was. Finally went in on the due date & applied, just over the hour as she entered everything on the computer. Walked out with the 30 days Under Consideration stamp.
I found it quite easy ;)
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 3, 2020, 4:07 pm

what rules are being enforced we didnt know about?????
"The problems happen when extending a permission to stay, often, but not always, when immigration changes requirements or starts enforcing requirements that they didn’t before"

I also have been into Immigration in Udon many times for my extension and never had any problems. Before though going in it is best to refresh oneself with what the rules are
AND SMILE

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 3, 2020, 4:14 pm

Niggly wrote:
July 3, 2020, 4:01 pm
The extension I got last week was my first. Never had the need for it before.
I just went into the Immigration Office a couple of weeks before, told them what I wanted to do & they gave me a leaflet. Compiled all the bits they asked for & went back in again & asked if everything was okay, which it was. Finally went in on the due date & applied, just over the hour as she entered everything on the computer. Walked out with the 30 days Under Consideration stamp.
I found it quite easy ;)
YMMV

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 3, 2020, 4:28 pm

tamada wrote:
July 3, 2020, 4:14 pm

YMMV
Yes, I'm reasonably lucky to be within driving distance.
Also I found it better to read the leaflet & not question or argue about every requirement
Last edited by Niggly on July 3, 2020, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » July 3, 2020, 4:32 pm

I posted on the other immigration thread that i got my first one a couple of weeks ago.
The only thing they requested that was not on the leaflet was that the witness had to come to udon.
That was a bit difficult but they allowed me to come back next day for that, so otherwise it was ok.
Seems some not being requested of that.
TIT

Had the home visit.
Those fellas were great

Just waiting for the official deal in couple weeks

Tango Sierra
udonmap.com

Post by Tango Sierra » July 3, 2020, 6:10 pm

Did my marriage extension in Jan and they required two copies of the KR 5 was married in 2014.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 3, 2020, 7:18 pm

Doodoo wrote:
July 3, 2020, 4:07 pm
what rules are being enforced we didnt know about?????
"The problems happen when extending a permission to stay, often, but not always, when immigration changes requirements or starts enforcing requirements that they didn’t before"
There is another poster who has been told to get documentation that was not required before his current application, it wasn’t required for all of his previous applications.

The documents apply to a requirement that he did not have to fulfil before.

The seasoning rules for retirement money in the bank seems to being enforced very recently, it wasn’t when it came in last year, etc.
Tango Sierra wrote:
July 3, 2020, 6:10 pm
Did my marriage extension in Jan and they required two copies of the KR 5 was married in 2014.
Thanks.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 3, 2020, 7:40 pm

mickojak wrote:
July 3, 2020, 4:32 pm
The only thing they requested that was not on the leaflet was that the witness had to come to udon.

Just waiting for the official deal in couple weeks
It will come on time.

The witness is on both the versions of the leaflet that I have seen.
The current one it’s No.13 the one I got before it’s No. 14

Do you have yet another version?
667D57BC-3624-4452-8DE1-60F61FF5C0E7.jpeg
B38F477B-88E3-4337-B30B-34AA4C3DA7A7.jpeg

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » July 13, 2020, 9:21 am

Has anyone ever gotten a 90 day non o visa (marriage or retirement)from Udon Immigration. The one you normally get out of the country. With borders closed and amnesty ending are they giving any leeway.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 13, 2020, 9:31 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
July 13, 2020, 9:21 am
Has anyone ever gotten a 90 day non o visa (marriage or retirement)from Udon Immigration. The one you normally get out of the country. With borders closed and amnesty ending are they giving any leeway.
Do you mean directly from Udon IO or via an agent?

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » July 13, 2020, 10:05 am

[youtube][/youtube]
tamada wrote:
July 13, 2020, 9:31 am
newtovillagelife wrote:
Do you mean directly from Udon IO or via an agent?
Directly from Udon Immigration.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » July 13, 2020, 11:10 am

dont think it is possible

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 13, 2020, 11:46 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
The only changes from immigration apply to permissions to stay and 90 day reports and fines.

The changes from immigration applying to permissions to stay are intended for those who entered with a visa or visa exempt and who will be leaving Thailand in the near future.

The wording of the amnesty actually does cover all permissions to stay. The issuing of extensions to permissions to stay is quite varied regarding the start date of an extension, most offices will start it the day you apply. This doesn’t apply to 1 year extensions you should do those as normal.

There is nothing to say if the amnesty is going to be extended or finish on July 31st. It may well be extended. I think that it is quite likely that it will be.

There is no information about when (once the amnesty finishes) people will be required to leave Thailand.

There is no information about when (once the suspension finishes) people will be required to make 90day reports

An announcement is quite possible this week. Otherwise virtually certain to be in the early part of next week.

It would be extremely unlikely that the MoFA will allow the RTP to issue any other visas than they already can, possible of course, TIT :shock:

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 13, 2020, 12:05 pm

yes, I am waiting with baited breath for some sort of official announcement from the government over extension of covid stay..There are hardly any planes, or seats on planes, if one is chucked out of Thailand soon, and the price of a ticket oyiiiiiiiii..and thats without the mad rush..then there is the shortage of layover countries/ airports if no direct flight home. Would be better for the government, to let me stay here the rest of the year, and spend my money on their struggling economy..If they kick all the tourists out, that only adds to the problems of struggling tourist operators, shop keepers, bar owners, hotels, etc etc..its not as if 100,000 tourists are going to arrive any day soon what with covid, and the way things are..

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 13, 2020, 12:48 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
July 13, 2020, 11:46 am
The changes from immigration applying to permissions to stay are intended for those who entered with a visa or visa exempt and who will be leaving Thailand in the near future.
What additional permissions to stay can Udon Immigration offer to a foreigner, married and domiciled (yellow booked) and currently in Udon who entered Thailand on a visa-exempt entry about 5 months ago that has been 'extended' under the general amnesty?

a ) Nothing?

b ) Extensions (or otherwise) predicated on an updated or revised general amnesty?

c ) A 60-day extension due to having a Thai spouse?

c ) A Non-O visa?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 13, 2020, 3:16 pm

tamada wrote:
July 13, 2020, 12:48 pm
sometimewoodworker wrote:
July 13, 2020, 11:46 am
What additional permissions to stay can Udon Immigration offer to a foreigner, married and domiciled (yellow booked) and currently in Udon who entered Thailand on a visa-exempt entry about 5 months ago that has been 'extended' under the general amnesty?

a ) Nothing?

b ) Extensions (or otherwise) predicated on an updated or revised general amnesty?

c ) A 60-day extension due to having a Thai spouse?

d ) A Non-O visa?
I would wait until there is an announcement regarding the amnesty before approaching immigration.

However if you wish to stay long term in Thailand putting 400K into a Thai bank account in your name now will ensure that options that may be available later are less problematic. I do not know if Udon is an office that does not like foreign transfers of funds to qualify for this situation so the 400k deposit is safe.

Unless you are definitely aiming for a 1 year extension nothing is the best thing to do today.

If you are definitely aiming for a 1 year extension then once you have the money in the bank go to immigration and ask if you can get (c) with a view to getting (d) and then the 1 year extension.

Or if they will permit you to skip (c) and go straight to (d)

it is quite possible that you can’t get (d) without a current valid permission to stay which is why you may have to get (c) first.

Most offices do not consider the amnesty as a current valid permission to stay, that you may have a different opinion of the amnesty is irrelevant.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » July 13, 2020, 3:30 pm

Well it will be interesting to see how this unfolds. I am here covered by the amnesty till July 31. I normally return to my home country or border run to get extensions to stay, this year I got caught out with this Covid situation. I am married to a Thai and we also have a child. I cannot believe Thailand would make me leave, separating family and putting my health at risk, during this time.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”