Long stay visa option for US citizen

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
tamada
udonmap.com

Long stay visa option for US citizen

Post by tamada » August 5, 2019, 8:14 am

A friend of mine, a single, retired US national, was talking about 'going back' to a 1-year multi-entry visa obtained in the US. This due to the hoop-jumping related to the annual extension of stay method and tying up money in a local bank. Am I correct in my understanding that his only visa option is the O-A and it still requires proof of financials when applying for it in the US?

Ta
tam

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Re: Long stay visa option for US citizen

Post by UdonExpat » August 5, 2019, 8:38 am

I spend about half my time in Thailand and the other half in the US. Each year I apply for and have received a multiple entry one year visa based on marriage to a Thai citizen. The cost is $200 per year. There is also a one year multiple entry visa based on retirement available although it requires different hoops to jump through.

I do the 'Thai family' visa through the Los Angeles Thai consulate as I live in their service area. Their requirements are here. https://www.thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa ... ategory-o/

As I stay in Udon it is easy for me to do a border run to Laos when my 90 day stay is approaching, as I did a few days ago on Aug 2. I find meeting the visa requirements less burdensome than dealing with the Udon immigration police to get a visa extension when my 90 day stay is approaching.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » August 5, 2019, 8:47 am

Sorry, I didn't catch the fact that your friend is single. Yes, he has the same income requirements if applying for a retirement visa in the US.
https://www.thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa ... egory-o-a/

Proof of annual income exceeding 65,000 THB per month does not appear to require that that amount is actually deposited in a Thai bank account. So, this could be a better option than putting 800,000 THB in a Thai bank. Therefore, income verification letters from social security, VA disability, defined retirement plan, etc., should satisfy the income requirements. Of course, this is speculation on my part and the proof is in applying and seeing what happens.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 5, 2019, 8:48 am

tamada wrote:
August 5, 2019, 8:14 am
A friend of mine, a single, retired US national, was talking about 'going back' to a 1-year multi-entry visa obtained in the US. This due to the hoop-jumping related to the annual extension of stay method and tying up money in a local bank. Am I correct in my understanding that his only visa option is the O-A and it still requires proof of financials when applying for it in the US?

Ta
tam
If he gets a multi-entry O-A, it will be effective for 2 years if he does a border run and crosses back into Thailand just prior to the expiry date of the visa eg say at 11 months and 25 days.

Requirements can vary a bit from Embassy to Embassy, and consulate to consulate. The main difference in the money requirement is that it doesn't have to be in a Thai bank ie it can sit safely in a bank in your "home" country.

I have had 3 or 4 O-As issued in Oz, and have just returned from Laos with the extra 12 months stamped in my passport.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 5, 2019, 9:30 am

Many thanks for the updates chaps. I will remind him that financial proof is still a requirement in the US but it can stay in the US bank. If he qualifies and gets the one-off O-A, if he works it properly, he can get about 2 years out of it. He's happy enough with the border hopping as he visits PI a few times a year and Vietnam is also now on his radar.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 5, 2019, 9:32 am

If he wants to go out and in during the 2nd year he will need re-entry permits.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 5, 2019, 9:47 am

jackspratt wrote:
August 5, 2019, 9:32 am
If he wants to go out and in during the 2nd year he will need re-entry permits.
Yes, he's aware of that.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”