Visa Extension based on Retirement 28.01.2019

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Re: Visa Extension based on Retirement 28.01.2019

Post by semperfiguy » May 3, 2019, 3:10 pm

I'd like to report the results of my retirement extension yesterday morning at Udon Immigration. Back on November 7, 2018, the day when the US Consulate came to Udon, I spoke with one of the senior staff at Immigration to see if they would accept an Income Affidavit that would expire on May 7th, then allow me to come in 45 days early for my extension instead of the standard 30. The only day that would fit those parameters was May 2nd since there was some discussion back them that the K**g's coronation would begin on the 3rd, so the officer encouraged me to get the Affidavit that day and she would allow me the 45 days early extension application. 90 days ago I returned to the office to make sure she would live up to her previous commitment, and I got the cold shoulder. I was passed to the then new boss for a decision on the matter, and after a bit of tense discussion he agreed that I could come back on May 2nd and that would be the only day that he would approve my extension using the Income Affidavit.

I showed up bright and early yesterday morning and was again herded to the boss who was already full of himself and ready to demonstrate his power over the helpless farang. He immediately began to talk down to me and tell me that I was coming in too early and needed to wait until 30 days before the expiration of my previous extension. With my "yes sir" attitude and a loving smile on my face, I calmly and respectfully reminded him of our meeting 3 months ago and his promise to approve my extension if I applied on May 2. Believe me...he did not like to idea of having to honor his word, but he did. He directed me to take a seat as if I were a naughty kindergarten child that had just pooped in his pants, and I waited for another 20 minutes until I was called to the desk of a new and very sweet female officer who politely processed my extension. She didn't ask me to prove the income that I had claimed on the Affidavit which I was certain that she would based on the accounts of others, and she didn't even ask me for copies of any of my documents. Once I was at her desk I was out within 5 minutes with no questions asked, and it was the fastest extension that I have had processed in the past 8 years. On my way out I paused at the boss's station and waited to get his attention so that I could thank him and give him a wai, but he refused to acknowledge me. I'll never understand these buggers!

After being stressed out for the past 6 months due to all the uncertainly surrounding Immigration's changes in requirements for extensions, I am finally relieved...at least for now until next year rolls around. I'm sure there will be more changes coming, and once again no two officers will be on the same page with the way they interpret the rules and regs. The only thing consistent about Thailand is the never-ending "inconsistency"! In spite of all that I am feeling blessed today!
Last edited by semperfiguy on May 3, 2019, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » May 3, 2019, 3:51 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
May 3, 2019, 3:10 pm
I'd like to report the results of my retirement extension yesterday morning at Udon Immigration. Back on November 7, 2018, the day when the US Consulate came to Udon, I spoke with one of the senior staff at Immigration to see if they would accept an Income Affidavit that would expire on May 7th, then allow me to come in 45 days early for my extension instead of the standard 30. The only day that would fit those parameters was May 2nd since there was some discussion back them that the K**g's coronation would begin on the 3rd, so the officer encouraged me to get the Affidavit that day and she would allow me the 45 days early extension application. 90 days ago I returned to the office to make sure she would live up to her previous commitment, and I got the cold shoulder. I was passed to the then new boss for a decision on the matter, and after a bit of tense discussion he agreed that I could come back on May 2nd and that would be the only day that he would approve my extension using the Income Affidavit.

I showed up bright and early yesterday morning and was again herded to the boss who was already full of himself and ready to demonstrate his power over the helpless farang. He immediately began to talk down to me and tell me that I was coming in too early and needed to wait until 30 days before the expiration of my previous extension. With my "yes sir" attitude and a loving smile on my face, I calmly and respectfully reminded him of our meeting 3 months ago and his promise to approve my extension if I applied on May 2. Believe me...he did not like to idea of having to honor his word, but he did. He directed me to take a seat as if I were a naughty kindergarten child that had just pooped in his pants, and I waited for another 20 minutes until I was called to the desk of a new and very sweet female officer who politely processed my extension. She didn't ask me to prove the income that I had claimed on the Affidavit which I was certain that she would based on the accounts of others, and she didn't even ask me for copies of any of my documents. Once I was at her desk I was out within 5 minutes with no questions asked, and it was the fastest extension that I have had processed in the past 8 years.

After being stressed out for the past 6 months due to all the uncertainly surrounding Immigration's changes in requirements for extensions, I am finally relieved...at least for now until next year rolls around. I'm sure there will be more changes coming, and once again no two officers will be on the same page with the way they interpret the rules and regs. The only thing consistent about Thailand is the never-ending "inconsistency"! In spite of all that I am feeling blessed today!
Thanks for your update.That said,did he mention anything regarding to bring and show money (400.000)in the bank,not to be touched until the first 90 day report is done.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » May 3, 2019, 4:09 pm

Thanks for your update.That said,did he mention anything regarding to bring and show money (400.000)in the bank,not to be touched until the first 90 day report is done.
[/quote]

Dui, there was nothing mentioned about that since I was renewing using an Income Affadavit for an extension based on Retirement. The female officer told my wife in closing that next year I should be prepared with either 800,000 Baht in the bank or proof of monthly transfers of 65,000 from abroad into a Thai bank. No further details were discussed and I certainly had no desire to hold up my departure with any questions. I just wanted out of that place!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » May 3, 2019, 4:17 pm

When you wai a Thai, the proper response for them is to wai you back.
Some do it without a second thought.
Some do it begrudgingly.
And some look at you as if you're a piece of garbage unworthy of a smile, let alone a wai.

The contempt many Thais have for foreigners, including farang, is visible every day if you know what to look for.

I stopped waiing Thais many years ago, including immigration officers, and now only return a wai.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » May 3, 2019, 4:48 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
May 3, 2019, 4:09 pm

Dui, there was nothing mentioned about that since I was renewing using an Income Affadavit for an extension based on Retirement. The female officer told my wife in closing that next year I should be prepared with either 800,000 Baht in the bank or proof of monthly transfers of 65,000 from abroad into a Thai bank. No further details were discussed and I certainly had no desire to hold up my departure with any questions. I just wanted out of that place!
Know how you feel. Sounds like a new group there since I did my ext start of year. Without all that you went thru, it was the fastest ext I have ever done in what 15 years.

Now that I think about it, maybe it too was an Omen.

I know my expiration date is 2020, but really Jan :cry:

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » May 3, 2019, 9:13 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
May 3, 2019, 4:09 pm

[/quote]

Thanks for the replye my friend.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”