Marriage Extension New Rule

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Marriage Extension New Rule

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 20, 2019, 4:50 pm

Barney wrote:
May 20, 2019, 3:18 pm
Question:
Must you have an account that has a bank book.
What of the banks that do not have not have a book to update? What can you use? Just a statement?
AFIK all accounts that are acceptable to Udon immigration have a bank book.

Caveat
As with all immigration related information some people may have had a different requirement.

Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » May 20, 2019, 5:38 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
May 20, 2019, 4:50 pm
Barney wrote:
Question:
What of the banks that do not have not have a book to update? What can you use? Just a statement?

Caveat
As with all immigration related information some people may have had a different requirement.

Sometimewoodworker, I have a friend that renewed his annual extension based on retirement and used his AUD Foreign Currency Fixed Deposit Account at Bangkok Bank. There is no bank book with that type of account, only an official paper certificate issued by the bank. He presented the original certificate with a copy to be retained by Udon Immigration, the last 4 months (only 3 months required) of his official bank statements received by mail with copies for immigration and a letter from Bangkok Bank verifying those last 4 months of deposits including language in the letter that the money on deposit was available immediately in Thai Baht upon request by the holder of the account; the amount being equivalent to XXXXXX at the current conversion rate (800,000 Thai Baht plus). There was no requirement to see any activity on the account on the day of application.

Next May I intend to renew on the same basis with a US$ Foreign Currency Fixed Deposit Account. I can't see any reason why this method would not be accepted unless I am cursed to have to sit in front of an officer who has decided to make up his own rules at the time claiming "officer discretion". What say you on the matter?
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » May 20, 2019, 7:03 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
May 20, 2019, 5:38 pm
May 20, 2019, 4:50 pm
Barney wrote:
Question:

Caveat

Sometimewoodworker, I have a friend that renewed his annual extension based on retirement and used his AUD Foreign Currency Fixed Deposit Account at Bangkok Bank. There is no bank book with that type of account, only an official paper certificate issued by the bank. He presented the original certificate with a copy to be retained by Udon Immigration, the last 4 months (only 3 months required) of his official bank statements received by mail with copies for immigration and a letter from Bangkok Bank verifying those last 4 months of deposits including language in the letter that the money on deposit was available immediately in Thai Baht upon request by the holder of the account; the amount being equivalent to XXXXXX at the current conversion rate (800,000 Thai Baht plus). There was no requirement to see any activity on the account on the day of application.

Next May I intend to renew on the same basis with a US$ Foreign Currency Fixed Deposit Account. I can't see any reason why this method would not be accepted unless I am cursed to have to sit in front of an officer who has decided to make up his own rules at the time claiming "officer discretion". What say you on the matter?
I have 4 Foreign currency accounts with the Kasikorn Bank.
US$, Aus$. Singapore $ & GBP.
I transferred some Singapore Dollars last week to keep my latest Thai bank account above 800,000 baht.
My visa is due in July so I am now thinking to use one of my Foreign currency accounts to satisfy my Visa extension requirements.
When I transferred the money it was deposited in my Thai Baht account immediately.
So any Foreign Currency account with Kasikorn should satisfy the Visa requirements ??.
By the way the Transfer rate by Kasikorn is one of the worst of all the banks.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 20, 2019, 7:45 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
May 20, 2019, 5:38 pm

I have heard multiple reports that Udon immigration does not accept Foreign Currency Deposit Accounts.

So the advice I have is that if anyone wishes to discover if the account will be accepted they must have a backup Thai Baht account (800K) or foreign transfers into a Thai bank, or embassy documentation of income for all but the big 3 nationalities.

If you do not have a backup and Udon refuses your account for your extension of stay then you are screwed.

Of course going in at least 3 months prior to your application with your FCD information and asking will probably be a good indication, though as we know it is not definitive, and if they say that it is OK then you have a good basis to insist on it being accepted.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on May 21, 2019, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » May 20, 2019, 7:49 pm

I have 4 Foreign currency accounts with the Kasikorn Bank.
US$, Aus$. Singapore $ & GBP.
I transferred some Singapore Dollars last week to keep my latest Thai bank account above 800,000 baht.
My visa is due in July so I am now thinking to use one of my Foreign currency accounts to satisfy my Visa extension requirements.
When I transferred the money it was deposited in my Thai Baht account immediately.
So any Foreign Currency account with Kasikorn should satisfy the Visa requirements ??.
By the way the Transfer rate by Kasikorn is one of the worst of all the banks.
[/quote]

Pal52, when you say you transferred Singapore Dollars to your Thai Baht account, are you referring to moving money from your FCD account to the Thai Baht account? If so, then are you also referring to the exchange rate when you say it is the worst of all the banks? At Bangkok Bank when I transfer US$ from abroad to my Thai Baht account, or if I move US$ from my FCD account to my Thai Baht account, I get the bank's "Buying TT" rate which is the best exchange rate available. Maybe you should move your accounts to Bangkok Bank.

If you do use the FCD account to extend your stay in July, will you report back to us about your experience? It would be nice to hear from someone else that has been successful with that method at Immigration.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » May 21, 2019, 6:43 am

Does this mean that beyond the hand-written note with the pink paperclip, there's possibly no valid stamp or official annotation in the passport that indicates the passport holder's current immigration status? There will be last year's expired extension date stamp and nothing to suggest the passport holder being in officially sanctioned limbo? IIRC, the marriage extension had the official 'under consideration' stamp. Is this still placed in the passport when the application is accepted but with a more distant 'call back' date?
[/quote]

Tam , behind the hand written note ,there is the " UNDER CONSIDERATION STAMP " but as i've mentioned previously ,there are people who (because of the request's for further up dates of bank book's ) have over run this this under consideration return date , (report to this office again on ---) by as much as 3 weeks ,no new stamp (with an extension date ) was given ,

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » May 21, 2019, 5:18 pm

tamada wrote:
May 20, 2019, 2:22 pm
samuel wrote:
May 19, 2019, 5:57 pm
Hoopoe wrote:
May 19, 2019, 2:51 pm
….must attend immigration office again between 10/12 with further proof of updated bank book...
can confirm this.
same with a friend of mine last week.
application for extension based on marriage ok with udon thani Immigration.
will have to show updated bank book (400k) again mid june.
will get extension end of june.
seems to be a new practice.
:-k
Does this mean that beyond the hand-written note with the pink paperclip, there's possibly no valid stamp or official annotation in the passport that indicates the passport holder's current immigration status? There will be last year's expired extension date stamp and nothing to suggest the passport holder being in officially sanctioned limbo? IIRC, the marriage extension had the official 'under consideration' stamp. Is this still placed in the passport when the application is accepted but with a more distant 'call back' date?
No there is also the "under consideration to"stamp also a new 90 day date is put in .
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 21, 2019, 11:26 pm

^^ ^
Thanks for that Hoopoe and Old Grumpy. It's been maybe 10 years since I did a marriage extension at Udon and I vaguely remember the under consideration stamp. I recall way back then that the need to go back was a pain in the butt for some and along with the open encouragement from the IO's at that time, was one of the reasons I changed to retirement extensions. Oh to be back in those simpler times, eh?

Looks like Udon is doing the hand-written 'reminder' whereas I recall seeing pictures on the big forum of a printed reminder note being affixed in passports by Jomtien immigration.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » May 22, 2019, 7:05 am

tamada wrote:
May 21, 2019, 11:26 pm
^^ ^
Thanks for that Hoopoe and Old Grumpy. It's been maybe 10 years since I did a marriage extension at Udon and I vaguely remember the under consideration stamp. I recall way back then that the need to go back was a pain in the butt for some and along with the open encouragement from the IO's at that time, was one of the reasons I changed to retirement extensions. Oh to be back in those simpler times, eh?

Looks like Udon is doing the hand-written 'reminder' whereas I recall seeing pictures on the big forum of a printed reminder note being affixed in passports by Jomtien immigration.
Yes and all because that lot at the so called British embassy(!) decided to save money(work) by cutting out a simple letter thereby throwing all us British citizens to the wolves
(!) Can an office block still be called by the rather grandiose name embassy?
Any way back to the marriage visa, certainly involves a lot more than the simpler retirement but nothing an honest applicant couldn't provide , some of the more trivial, to the application, were the names of both my parents and any siblings , all deceased, and same info for my wife, lots of details about my witness as well, all in all took about two hours, must have signed getting on for 100 forms between us , but be patient in the end you still have another year to enjoy your life in paradise whichever visa you get and if your lucky enough to survive, can look forward to doing it all again next year, plus what ever else that throw at us in the meantime. \:D/
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

souness
udonmap.com
Location: helping in the search for irish allan.(kirkby,liverpool,uk)

Post by souness » June 17, 2019, 11:12 am

hi,i normally extend my visa based on marriage but i havent got 400k in a thai bank account.
the extension isn't due until october but i was thinking of going to savannerket to get a multi entry on marriage.
is it worth me getting a single entry reentry permit in case im refused or is there never a problem in laos ?
ive been married 9 years.
thanks
sean

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 17, 2019, 12:36 pm

souness wrote:
June 17, 2019, 11:12 am
hi,i normally extend my visa based on marriage but i havent got 400k in a thai bank account.
the extension isn't due until october but i was thinking of going to savannerket to get a multi entry on marriage.
is it worth me getting a single entry reentry permit in case im refused or is there never a problem in laos ?
ive been married 9 years.
thanks
sean
You do have plenty of time to bring your deposit up o 400k if you can, as it only has to be in 2 months before the application date.

I have never heard of anyone with the correct paperwork being turned down. Missing paperwork then being told to get it and come back, yes, correct paperwork no.

tammakhun
udonmap.com

Post by tammakhun » October 8, 2019, 3:51 pm

May 20, 2019, 7:45 pm
I have heard multiple reports that Udon immigration does not accept Foreign Currency Deposit Accounts.
FWIW today I seen a guy use multiple foreign currency accounts that added up to over the 800,000 equivalent required.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 8, 2019, 4:47 pm

tammakhun wrote:
October 8, 2019, 3:51 pm
May 20, 2019, 7:45 pm
FWIW today I seen a guy use multiple foreign currency accounts that added up to over the 800,000 equivalent required.
That is useful to know, both that Foreign Currency Deposit Accounts are accepted and that you can have more than 1.

Thanks

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 8, 2019, 6:46 pm

Foreign Currency Deposit Accounts are accepted in udon ...yes ,i have also asked this with my last 90 day report... ;)

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » October 8, 2019, 7:09 pm

Does anyone know if these FCD accounts that are being accepted are Savings Accounts or Fixed Deposit Accounts? Mine are FD accounts and Bangkok Bank will give me a letter stating the conversion to Baht and the fact that my money is available upon demand. I would lose the interest on the account if a withdrawal is made, but at least I have immediate access to the funds. With a Fixed Deposit account I would not have a passbook to show, but only a Certificate of Deposit, and I wouldn't be able to make a withdrawal from the account to show activity on the day of the extension; however, I could make a deposit to show activity and submit that proof with a deposit slip. Any comments are appreciated!

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 8, 2019, 7:15 pm

if the money in the accounts is direct accessible /available on demand you should be able to use them ... ;)

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » October 9, 2019, 3:19 am

semperfiguy wrote:
October 8, 2019, 7:09 pm
Does anyone know if these FCD accounts that are being accepted are Savings Accounts or Fixed Deposit Accounts? Mine are FD accounts and Bangkok Bank will give me a letter stating the conversion to Baht and the fact that my money is available upon demand. I would lose the interest on the account if a withdrawal is made, but at least I have immediate access to the funds. With a Fixed Deposit account I would not have a passbook to show, but only a Certificate of Deposit, and I wouldn't be able to make a withdrawal from the account to show activity on the day of the extension; however, I could make a deposit to show activity and submit that proof with a deposit slip. Any comments are appreciated!
Am i misunderstanding this , ? you have a FCD in a FD account with BKK bank ,when i asked about FCD at BKK bank they stated there is no interest on the account ,So if this is the case ! why a FD account when there is no interest ?

Ref FD account , i have (and always have had,, just keep renewing )two year FD account 400bht ,now under the " new " regulations Extension based on marriage ,on proof of the account first and second time for immigration ,only a letter of certificate of confirmation of account from the bank will be accepted,as there is no update by statement ,(until the account has matured)The point being it's 200bht each time ,
People using just a savings account ,on first application have to have a letter of certification of bank account , but on the second proof of account ,just a statement has been accepted .

I've just got my extension of stay ,which over ran the return to office to get your stamp date by two weeks , no further under consideration stamp was put in my passport to cover the time delay , only the words don't worry , HA HA , to which the reply was , i'm not worried i'll just disappear ,, two weeks later i get a phone call to go to office to collect the extension ,on entering the office i was called by the lady (far desk at the wall ) five minutes max and on my way out the door .
It would appear due to all the extra paperwork they quite often overrun the the under consideration date ,

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 9, 2019, 7:57 am

on first application have to have a letter of certification of bank account , but on the second proof of account ,just a statement has been accepted :?
in my 18 years of stay now i have always had the same style bank statement for extension,with the only difference when the 3months or 2 months deposit rule came out before ,a small detail of this ...,so what is the difference? ,thanks ;)

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » October 9, 2019, 12:34 pm

The difference now is on the application for extension of stay based on marriage. Proof. Eg letter of confirmation of existence of account from bank and statement /bank book etc... Normal as before... But now added to that. (usually two weeks Ish )before issuing the extension stamp. They want you to prove you still have the funds.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » October 10, 2019, 11:24 am

Hoopoe wrote:
October 9, 2019, 3:19 am
semperfiguy wrote:
October 8, 2019, 7:09 pm
Am i misunderstanding this , ? you have a FCD in a FD account with BKK bank ,when i asked about FCD at BKK bank they stated there is no interest on the account ,So if this is the case ! why a FD account when there is no interest ?

Hoopee, with a USD FCD Savings account you will only get 1.5/10ths of 1% interest. For a USD FCD Fixed Deposit account you will get 3/10ths of 1% for a 1 months Certificate, 4.5/10ths for a 3 month, 6.5/10ths for a 6 month, 8/10ths for a 9 month and 9/10ths for a 12 month. I get the interest without fail and it shows up on my monthly statements by mail and my online account. They will withhold 15% for the Revenue Bureau but you can go there after January 1st next year and get a full refund of the withheld amount if your total interest paid for the year is under a certain figure (I'm thinking 20,000 baht, but please confirm that first before speculating). See Jenny in the international department of Bangkok Bank Phosri Road branch just past Udon Immigration headed west. She speaks excellent English and knows her business well. Here's the interest sheet:
Attachments
FCD Interest.PNG

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”