Conversion From O-A Retirement Extension to Marriage.

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Conversion From O-A Retirement Extension to Marriage.

Post by LoneTraveler » March 2, 2019, 2:57 pm

When my retirement extension is due I am considering applying for marriage Visa extension. Has anyone done this in the past year? My question is; when can I apply for the marriage visa? In the past I have always applied early (up to 30 days prior) for my retirement extension. However, this being a new category of Visa extension, can I apply for the marriage Visa 6 weeks prior to my retirement Visa expiration. I want to do this in case I am not approved for the Marriage Visa, I will still have time to apply for a retirement extension. I know it will take up to one month to get a marriage Visa approved, so I do not want to cut it too close where the marriage visa gets declined and my retirement also expires in the same time frame.

Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated. Immigration gave me the "deer in the headlight" expression at my last 90 day. i.e apply up to 30 days prior to your retirement expiration. I do not want to be left waiting for a marriage and in the mean time my retirement extension expires.

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Re: Conversion From O-A Retirement Extension to Marriage.

Post by Jing Jing » March 2, 2019, 8:08 pm

I did an extension at Udon Than Immigration at the beginning of February. I applied using the Retirement option. The IO stated that if I could not qualify by having 65,000 Baht per month or 800,000 Baht then I could switch to the marriage option. I had only had one or two before the visa expires.

I think applying too early raises a red flag in the IO’s mind. Look for a thread on marriage visa on this forum. Make sure you have all the applicable documents, photographs and map.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 3, 2019, 10:25 am

My experience with asking the 90-day guy for early extension filing options late 2017 was similarly blanked twice but I think that was the previous guy to this one. Best to collar one of the interns working there and get an opinion from nearer the top of the tree? FWIW, I renewed a RetExt about 45 days early but luckily caught the Chief late in the afternoon and he just overrode all the naysayers and basically told them to issue it and get my money. However, there's a new Chief since then and apart from sometimes not coming back to the office from Friday lunch(!), he may have other subtle nuance to what is possible versus 'Cannot'.

FWIW, 30-days early seems to be the 'universal' maximum permitted but having extenuating circumstances, and proof of such like I had, may get a more favorable result? Regards the OP's concern about rejection, I think the Udon staff will have a pretty good idea if there's something that won't fly at head office. I also recall reading that if there is a rejection, there's no 'ejector seat' and they have the authority/ability to issue another 30-day stay of execution while the cats are herded, ducks gotten in a row, etc..

Good luck!

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 3, 2019, 11:18 am

If youve had the money in the bank long enough , and your paperworks in order , and Udon I O will tell you so before they send it and take your money . I really dont see a problem .
I think 30 days before is the earliest you may apply for any extension .
Ive done retirement , to marriage , back to retirement , and just now about to change back to marriage . Never a problem in the past .
So fingers crossed .

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 3, 2019, 11:59 am

LoneTraveler wrote:
March 2, 2019, 2:57 pm
When my retirement extension is due I am considering applying for marriage Visa extension. Has anyone done this in the past year? My question is; when can I apply for the marriage visa? In the past I have always applied early (up to 30 days prior) for my retirement extension. However, this being a new category of Visa extension, can I apply for the marriage Visa 6 weeks prior to my retirement Visa expiration. I want to do this in case I am not approved for the Marriage Visa, I will still have time to apply for a retirement extension. I know it will take up to one month to get a marriage Visa approved, so I do not want to cut it too close where the marriage visa gets declined and my retirement also expires in the same time frame.

Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated. Immigration gave me the "deer in the headlight" expression at my last 90 day. i.e apply up to 30 days prior to your retirement expiration. I do not want to be left waiting for a marriage and in the mean time my retirement extension expires.
Udon as standard without an extremely good reason (yours isn't) will only permit an application 30 days before the expiration of your current permission to stay. So no you can't apply 6 week early.

Once your application is accepted by Udon immigration the 30 days under consideration period is basically a formality as long as your marriage is de jure and de facto, and that will be confirmed by a visit by the immigration officers.
You may just possibly be asked for another document or two (though that's unlikely)

You are legal for however long the under consideration stamp is in your passport even if it is beyond the expiration date of your current extension, and even if they have to stamp your passport again because the regional office is taking longer to approve than usual.

Even if your change of reason for you extension (it isn't a VISA) from retirement to marriage was refused (vanishingly small chance once accepted by Udon) you would get a 7 day extension period from the date of refusal so would not be on overstay, and would have plenty of time for an extension with a different reason.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » March 3, 2019, 1:52 pm

I thank all of the above for some very good information based upon experiences. It would be nice if an I/O would explain what you all have done instead of just stating 30 days prior. I recall when Udon used to stamp passport valid until such a date when they would approve or reject an extension based upon review 2 or 3 years ago, when you submitted your application and had to return on the date stamped in your passport to get extension stamp. That made me uneasy so, now I will face similar circumstances if I apply for a marriage extension. Well, so be it, if I will not have to bank 800K for 5 months. I want to put that money in a saving account for my wife so she will have funds upon my death rather than BKK keep it.

When I go for extension I will have over 800K in bank this is because, if marriage extension is rejected, I want to apply for retirement. If they see the 800K will they strongly recommend I apply for retirement only? I do have all the necessary paperwork and money in bank for a marriage extension but in this new environment I want to be prepared.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 3, 2019, 1:59 pm

Dont think so . They may recommend it seeing the 800 , but cant see them enforcing it .
Unless theres a problem with your marriage details , but doubt that very much .

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 3, 2019, 2:08 pm

LoneTraveler wrote:
March 3, 2019, 1:52 pm
When I go for extension I will have over 800K in bank this is because, if marriage extension is rejected, I want to apply for retirement. If they see the 800K will they strongly recommend I apply for retirement only?
If you have 800k in a single account then in all probability they will push you to stay with a retirement extension, you may have to be extremely firm to get what you want. Don't forget that you will need 2 Thai witnesses to vouch for you, one should be the village headman, as this is your first marriage extension.

If you want to be sure that you are not pushed then you need to have an account that has less than 800k in it.

If you have enough time for seasoning then opening a second account now and putting in just the 400k will be a very good idea. Krungsri has an excellent account and it will be easy to open it.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 3, 2019, 2:12 pm

saint wrote:
March 3, 2019, 1:59 pm
Dont think so . They may recommend it seeing the 800 , but cant see them enforcing it .
Unless theres a problem with your marriage details , but doubt that very much .
I don't know if Udon will push, but there are certainly reports of Immigration officers virtually (or actually) refusing to do a marriage extension because the applicant had enough for a retirement extension.

The best way to avoid this is not to show a bank account that qualifies.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » March 3, 2019, 4:03 pm

Just opened a Saving Depoit Passbook at Krungthai Bank..does anyone know if International Transfers shows up as just like that,a International Transfer that the Immi.is okey with?

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » March 3, 2019, 5:49 pm

DuiDui49 wrote:
March 3, 2019, 4:03 pm
Just opened a Saving Depoit Passbook at Krungthai Bank..does anyone know if International Transfers shows up as just like that,a International Transfer that the Immi.is okey with?
Can't say about Krungthai bank as I'm with Bangkok bank, but was checking with them this week, according to there manager all foreign transfers are prefixed with FTT in the bank book, these are the only ones they can be sure are originating from abroad and will be the only ones they can include as such on any letter they issue for immi., which rather buggers me up as my main pension from the UK govt is paid by them into Citi Bank in Uk and transferred by them into Citi Bank Bangkok, from where it is transferred into my Bangkok Bank Acct, making it an internal exchange which shows up as BTN on the book, Which I understand cannot be distinguished from any other domestic source , so cannot be included as from abroad in any letter they issue .I would think this must be the same for all those in receipt of a UK govt pension direct , so be careful.
I have checked with both the Pensions office in Uk to see if this could be altered and got a definite NO and with Udon IMM who said they couldn't accept this as an incoming payment , so it looks as though I am buggered and will have to go the lump sum road .
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » March 3, 2019, 7:54 pm

I did this on Thursday past. No problems and now waiting the visit from immigration. Very easy but what they did do was charge 500 Baht for transferring from retirement to marriage extension. ( Probably pocketed).
Another thing was that l never heard them ask for 1900 Baht from anyone. 2000 Baht was called for when people were paying. Again pocketed l presume.
Other than that l had all the documents and my witness so it was very easy.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » March 4, 2019, 8:41 am

Old Grumpy wrote:
March 3, 2019, 5:49 pm
DuiDui49 wrote:
March 3, 2019, 4:03 pm
Can't say about Krungthai bank as I'm with Bangkok bank, but was checking with them this week, according to there manager all foreign transfers are prefixed with FTT in the bank book, these are the only ones they can be sure are originating from abroad and will be the only ones they can include as such on any letter they issue for immi., which rather buggers me up as my main pension from the UK govt is paid by them into Citi Bank in Uk and transferred by them into Citi Bank Bangkok, from where it is transferred into my Bangkok Bank Acct, making it an internal exchange which shows up as BTN on the book, Which I understand cannot be distinguished from any other domestic source , so cannot be included as from abroad in any letter they issue .I would think this must be the same for all those in receipt of a UK govt pension direct , so be careful.
I have checked with both the Pensions office in Uk to see if this could be altered and got a definite NO and with Udon IMM who said they couldn't accept this as an incoming payment , so it looks as though I am buggered and will have to go the lump sum road .
God morning everyone !
Thank you for taking time to answer my post,have a great day sir..:-)

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » March 4, 2019, 8:55 am

LoneTraveler wrote:
March 3, 2019, 1:52 pm
I thank all of the above for some very good information based upon experiences. It would be nice if an I/O would explain what you all have done instead of just stating 30 days prior. I recall when Udon used to stamp passport valid until such a date when they would approve or reject an extension based upon review 2 or 3 years ago, when you submitted your application and had to return on the date stamped in your passport to get extension stamp. That made me uneasy so, now I will face similar circumstances if I apply for a marriage extension. Well, so be it, if I will not have to bank 800K for 5 months. I want to put that money in a saving account for my wife so she will have funds upon my death rather than BKK keep it.

When I go for extension I will have over 800K in bank this is because, if marriage extension is rejected, I want to apply for retirement. If they see the 800K will they strongly recommend I apply for retirement only? I do have all the necessary paperwork and money in bank for a marriage extension but in this new environment I want to be prepared.
I've had a marriage extension for 7 years now and every year had more than 800k in the bank, they asked if I wanted a retirement extension instead of marriage when I first applied which I politely refused, they've not asked since. Recently renewed the extension in and out in 40 minutes.

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » March 4, 2019, 10:47 am

Again thank you all for some sound advice. A light when on when I read sometimewoodworker's post. I have 2 BKK bank accounts, one direct deposit and a regular saving. I was going to show both accounts in aggregate to total 800K. Now I realize thanks to the above member's post that I only need present one account to show 400K. And if need be I can present the other account for retirement extension. Although, based upon the members experience, docs required and to include witness, I feel better about applying for the marriage.

I am really not a pessimist, lean more toward optimism however, if marriage fails for whatever reason (been together 11 years) so I am optimistic in that regard, can I revert back to retirement extension?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 4, 2019, 11:09 am

LoneTraveler wrote:
March 4, 2019, 10:47 am
if marriage fails for whatever reason (been together 11 years) so I am optimistic in that regard, can I revert back to retirement extension?
Yes

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 4, 2019, 12:13 pm

I think they used to prefer the retirement extension because it involves less work on their part .
No copies to Bangkok , so , no one checking their work .
No home visit , to see if you actually live as man and wife at the address you gave .
No repeat visit by applicant , 30 days after application .
I preferred it because , no witness to bother , and only one page in passport used , and only one visit .
Now they are just making the retirement option less attractive , and creating more work for themselves T I T .

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » March 4, 2019, 12:57 pm

saint wrote:
March 4, 2019, 12:13 pm
I think they used to prefer the retirement extension because it involves less work on their part .
No copies to Bangkok , so , no one checking their work .
No home visit , to see if you actually live as man and wife at the address you gave .
No repeat visit by applicant , 30 days after application .
I preferred it because , no witness to bother , and only one page in passport used , and only one visit .
Now they are just making the retirement option less attractive , and creating more work for themselves T I T .
spot on
english-idioms-hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg
english-idioms-hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg (54.73 KiB) Viewed 2536 times

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”