Udon Thani Retirement Extension - what do they need?

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
eagle
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Thani Retirement Extension - what do they need?

Post by eagle » December 24, 2019, 9:31 am

the-monk wrote:
December 23, 2019, 8:49 pm
Few years ago i asked my sister-in-law- who works for a major Thai Insurance Company to look into the possibility of getting medical insurance with her company. She came back a week later saying , yes it could be possible but it would be expensive, but in fact the company was NOT interested in dealing with foreigners, therefore i am shocked by your statement claiming that it s cheap and easy for anyone on a NON-O to get insurance coverage.. I would greatly appreciate more details such as prices, coverage, company name etc.
Thanks take good care of your flu. Get well soon.
Price from 55 to 60 years is in the pic below. Then 60 to 65 about 3000 thb more expensive, from 65 to 70 about 5000 thb above previous. Insured until 90 years old. If start early, after 20 years insured without any yearly premium (free ride).

Coverage also below. Just to open. VIP5 gives 200 000 thb to use for anything, can be used to pay hospital costs. Also 4000 thb for daily bed and treatment (base plan covers 1500 thb per day). Cost 6262 thb per year. There is also 1000 thb daily sum, that can be used for daily care or what so ever. Cost 3900 thb per year. Those daily extras max. 90 days in time. I felt that 6500 thb per day was reasonable cover for bed. If accept 5500 thb room, it leaves 1000 thb per day for recovering holiday. That plan SP80 covers yearly cost up to 872 000 thb by that 7460 thb shown in pic.

So, paying 25 897 thb early, coverage 872 000 + 200 000 thb. That was ThaiLife.

Kasikorn bank also has health insurance. Cover 500 000 thb and outpatient cover 45 000 thb per year. Cost for 61-70 years old is 30 600 thb per year. Same rules:
For Foreigners
The foreigners must reside in Thailand at least 1 year and must have a plan to continues staying in Thailand
The foreigners works in Thailand, the applicant’s occupation must be specified
The foreigners who does not work in Thailand, the applicants must be married to Thai and resides in Thailand more than 1 year
The company does not insure foreign tourists
That means only NON-O visa, not NON-OA.

Only two examples, Chubb Life also offers similar (HSP3000 we provide 1.1 million/year inpatient medical expense for a man age of 61-65 is 51,527 ThBaht premium) and there are many others. I feel that 25 000 - 30 000 thb is cheap when comparing to those offered for NON-OA visa. Similar or double coverage in these examples. Anyway I feel that those prices are not expensive. Chubb is more expensive, but compared to those listed cheaper.

Related to being easy. Agent walked to our house, other one tried to call to us. I have also contacted some companies and it has not been difficult to get offers from them. Like that copy from Chubb shows. Kasikorn has offered that insurance at least 2-3 times. Not so difficult to agree and sign I feel. I have to confess that many agents do not know how to offer insurance for foreigners. Even our agent was helpless, when my friend wanted to have 2 million baht coverage. Meaning premium to be extremely high, almost 50 000 thb per year. Agents are not used to sell so expensive plans. Average plan is between 4000 - 8000 thb. Even my plan, 25 000 thb, was one of the most expensive plans they had made.

I hope three price/plan levels is enough for a short answer. Also comment that all those companies have been very keen to offer plans for foreigners.

Ps. I have some friends also who have been dealing with Thailife. None of them has had any big problems to get an insurance. I had a good fried working for Chubb (now owns own business) and she said that it is not her speciality, transferred to other person. Then finally one agent here nearby. Did learn that outpatient meaning is flexible. Outpatient treatment is covered (benefit of outpatient such as Chemo, kidney dilation, small surgery etc), but not so called day cases, when doctor only orders some pills.
Attachments
IMG_20191224_072800.jpg

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 24, 2019, 10:15 am

eagle wrote:
December 24, 2019, 9:31 am
For Foreigners
The foreigners must reside in Thailand at least 1 year and must have a plan to continues staying in Thailand
The foreigners who does not work in Thailand, the applicants must be married to Thai and resides in Thailand more than 1 year
I am confused.

There are plenty of foreigners on OA visas/extensions who:

- have resided here for more than 1 year, and plan to stay;
- are married to a Thai; and
- are not tourists.

I am one example.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 24, 2019, 6:38 pm

jackspratt wrote:
December 24, 2019, 10:15 am
eagle wrote:
For Foreigners
I am confused.

- are not tourists.

I am one example.
Eagle seems convinced that the Non-Immigrant Type O-A (Long Stay) Visa is classified as a tourist visa. He is wrong it is not. None of the Non-Immigrant Visas (F, B, IM, IB, ED, M, D/F, RS, EX, O, O-A and O-X) are tourist visas.

The elite visa however is classed as a tourist visa even though it’s for a longer period and is in a class of its own.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » December 24, 2019, 9:44 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
December 24, 2019, 6:38 pm
jackspratt wrote:
December 24, 2019, 10:15 am
eagle wrote:
For Foreigners
I am confused.

- are not tourists.

I am one example.
Eagle seems convinced that the Non-Immigrant Type O-A (Long Stay) Visa is classified as a tourist visa. He is wrong it is not. None of the Non-Immigrant Visas (F, B, IM, IB, ED, M, D/F, RS, EX, O, O-A and O-X) are tourist visas.

The elite visa however is classed as a tourist visa even though it’s for a longer period and is in a class of its own.
Non-OA:

This type of visa is granted to a person who is 50 years old or older and wished to enter Thailand for the purpose of tourism. The visa is multiple entries and has a validity of 1 year. At each entry, you get to stay for up to 365 days. But need to report to immigration every 90 days.
http://thaiembassy.se/en/non-immigrant- ... long-stay/

Similar info in UK and MFA site. MFA says for relaxing and holiday, but translation to English is not exact that. Based on Embassies and MFA (Thai language) I have to think that NON-OA is for temporary stay. I have two possibilities. One is to trust forums and one is to trust authorities. I have made my choice.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 24, 2019, 10:23 pm

You can only go with what your local Thai Embassy is saying.

However, by way of contrast:
Non-Immigrant Visa type O-A (Australian passport holders only) (for retirement long stay: must be 50 years of age and over)

https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/non-immigrant/

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 25, 2019, 12:03 am

eagle wrote:
December 24, 2019, 9:44 pm

Non-OA:

This type of visa is granted to a person who is 50 years old or older and wished to enter Thailand for the purpose of tourism. The visa is multiple entries and has a validity of 1 year. At each entry, you get to stay for up to 365 days. But need to report to immigration every 90 days.
http://thaiembassy.se/en/non-immigrant- ... long-stay/

Similar info in UK and MFA site. MFA says for relaxing and holiday, but translation to English is not exact that. Based on Embassies and MFA (Thai language) I have to think that NON-OA is for temporary stay. I have two possibilities. One is to trust forums and one is to trust authorities. I have made my choice.

From the London embassy website
3E072CC3-79CE-4693-853E-07AF367E0415.jpeg
From the MFA
9C2A83AB-B84C-4341-ADCA-AC4F88E9B3CA.jpeg
From SINGAPORE
97BA910B-9AEC-402E-9908-7636A0446F31.jpeg
From Tokyo
E8263862-0C9B-47E2-8D03-9A483D0CEF52.jpeg
From Sydney
E5DFF660-9E68-4680-A784-28EF11625BA0.jpeg
So it is only from a country where English is a second language that you get the mistaken information about a Non-OA being a tourist visa. And it isn’t a Nordic thing either as neither Oslo nor Helsinki use the mistaken word “tourist” in the OA.
So I’ll see your single example and raise you 7 ; :shock: that don’t agree.

By definition a tourist is a temporary visitor, not “long stay/retirement” (though the elite Visa is a special case). Just look at the reports of people using many tourist visas or visa exempt entry’s being told by immigration to get a proper visa

Also tourists can only get a 2 year licence, Non immigrate Visa holders get a 5 year on renewal (elite visa holders get 2 years) Non O-A get 5 years.

It is not unknown for a single embassy website to have mistaken or old information. I have never heard of a case where 6 (that I have checked) plus the MoFA and DLT all have the same information and it was wrong, however I have two possibilities. One is to trust your opinion and Stockholm and the other one is to trust all the other authorities (that I have checked). I have made my choice, I certainly could be wrong.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”