Extension renewal: last date for filing

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
tamada
udonmap.com

Extension renewal: last date for filing

Post by tamada » November 21, 2018, 4:09 pm

Like most people, I usually plan on filing the annual extension a few days early, just in case there's a new rule or a trip up. Last year, I filed about 48 days early due to being out of the country on the due date and Udon Immigration did that with a bit of explanation and the approval of the boss. This year, I hope to be back in on time but it will be very close.

For example, if an extensions 'permitted to stay until' stamp says 3rd December, it is acceptable to file for the new extension on that same day, the 3rd of December? Since immigration counts your permitted days in-country up to midnight on the last day as stamped in your passport, I assume that this applies to extension filing as well, ie. in the above case, filing the extension during their hours of business on 3rd December should be acceptable?

Ta
tam

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Re: Extension renewal: last date for filing

Post by dunroaming » November 21, 2018, 4:26 pm

I did it on the last day this year so would say yes allowed bit tit

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » November 21, 2018, 6:23 pm

I have a different question which is related to extension renewals, but with a twist. My permission to stay based on retirement expires on June 17. I got the Income Affidavit from the US Consulate outreach to Udon on November 7th after my usual Immigration Officer said she would entertain my extension of stay application at least 45 days early so that my Income Affidavit would still be valid up until May 7th and I could apply as early as May 3rd. Now, here's the question.....if for some reason I go in on May 3rd and they reject my Income Affidavit due to new rules, I can then transfer 400,000 into an account, switch to a marriage extension and wait for 2 months for it to season which means that date will be July 3rd or 16 days past the expiration of my current extension of stay. Therefore, is there any provision to extend late with permission or get some sort of a 30 extension without losing my current extension of stay privilege? And yes......I know I could simply put 400,000 in an account 2 months before I go in to apply for my extension of stay, but I just don't want to do that if I don't have to. My money is here in USD's and I would get killed on the exchange rate if I converted to Thai Baht right now. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated, and hopefully from those who have personal experience with this issue.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 21, 2018, 7:29 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
November 21, 2018, 6:23 pm
I have a different question which is related to extension renewals, but with a twist. My permission to stay based on retirement expires on June 17. I got the Income Affidavit from the US Consulate outreach to Udon on November 7th after my usual Immigration Officer said she would entertain my extension of stay application at least 45 days early so that my Income Affidavit would still be valid up until May 7th and I could apply as early as May 3rd. Now, here's the question.....if for some reason I go in on May 3rd and they reject my Income Affidavit due to new rules, I can then transfer 400,000 into an account, switch to a marriage extension and wait for 2 months for it to season which means that date will be July 3rd or 16 days past the expiration of my current extension of stay. Therefore, is there any provision to extend late with permission or get some sort of a 30 extension without losing my current extension of stay privilege? And yes......I know I could simply put 400,000 in an account 2 months before I go in to apply for my extension of stay, but I just don't want to do that if I don't have to. My money is here in USD's and I would get killed on the exchange rate if I converted to Thai Baht right now. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated, and hopefully from those who have personal experience with this issue.
No personal experience but as far as I am aware, there's no way an annual extension can be filed after the expiration date stamped in the passport and no way that a short extension can be linked to it. I have seen the idea floated enough times on the big forum and dismissed by a couple of members there that are very well versed on the ins and outs of Immigration rules and even the local variations thereof.

My own reasoning against it ever being done is that if it was possible, it would have been talked about more, offered already as a solution to countless other similar questions and thus debated much less.

If hanging out for a better exchange rate is an important criteria, maybe getting a 1-year, multi-O based on Thai marriage from the RTE in Savanakhet may be an option? Granted that will mean border hops instead of 90-day reports but the pros and cons are something for consideration against one's personal circumstances. I am not sure that we are going to see any major, beneficial shifts on exchange rates over a short period of time but your right to stay for a year (or more) would be more secure while you watch for the right time financially to fund a switch back to extensions?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 21, 2018, 8:54 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
November 21, 2018, 6:23 pm
If married and you haven't already got the extension to "visit" your wife on that particular entry, you can apply for a 60 day extension which will be given for the same 1,900 Baht fee. So you will have time to season either the 800k for 3 months or the 400k for 2 months.

If not married there is no extension like that.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » November 22, 2018, 8:54 am

got a new extension the other day..
re the OP question..I am no authority of these matters, but if one overstays then one overstays..The date stamped in the passport is vital for sure..can you extent on the last day, I would say sure can, but if something goes wrong and you dont get the extension, it doesnt leave you much time to evac out of the country, thats why I go in afew days early..

I fell asleep once at Swampy and missed my plane, had to run to Laos smart as, because the next plane wasnt for a week, and because my visa expired shortly..then another trip the air ticket didnt line up with the visa, I overstayed by a day, well afew hours, as the plane left in the wee hours, and I hadnt realised this was a new day..got a stern talking too, and a special stamp tattooed in my passport, so I always go afew days early now..

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 22, 2018, 4:26 pm

maaka wrote:
November 22, 2018, 8:54 am
got a new extension the other day..
re the OP question..I am no authority of these matters, but if one overstays then one overstays..The date stamped in the passport is vital for sure..can you extent on the last day, I would say sure can, but if something goes wrong and you dont get the extension, it doesnt leave you much time to evac out of the country, thats why I go in afew days early..

I fell asleep once at Swampy and missed my plane, had to run to Laos smart as, because the next plane wasnt for a week, and because my visa expired shortly..then another trip the air ticket didnt line up with the visa, I overstayed by a day, well afew hours, as the plane left in the wee hours, and I hadnt realised this was a new day..got a stern talking too, and a special stamp tattooed in my passport, so I always go afew days early now..
Yes, a couple of days early is always good, just in case something new is requested. Has Udon IO asked any RetEx filers for the map to the house that MarEx guys are expected to provide? I recall that some IO's started asking for it over the last 12-14 months of screw-tightening. They didn't need it from me in December last year. If they do reject me at the 11th hour, I can be on a flight and out of the country before midnight or over the border in Savanakhet.... just.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » November 22, 2018, 4:33 pm

In my last extension this year, the owner of my property had to sign documents attesting to my living there. The IO stapled the completed form in my passport (similarly to how they do it for the 90 Day Report). I'm glad that the property owner happened to be close by to come and sign the document.

That was never required of me in the past.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 23, 2018, 5:10 pm

Lone Star wrote:
November 22, 2018, 4:33 pm
In my last extension this year, the owner of my property had to sign documents attesting to my living there. The IO stapled the completed form in my passport (similarly to how they do it for the 90 Day Report). I'm glad that the property owner happened to be close by to come and sign the document.

That was never required of me in the past.
I recall a first-time Udon filer reporting similar on the other forum. The issue was his father-in-law was the property owner but didn't live in Udon so all a bit of a chore. The Udon IO's gave him a power of attorney document to get the FiL to sign that basically allowed the applicant to self-file as the possessor... or something like that. That was maybe about a year ago so maybe that's when they started tightening that screw?

retired
udonmap.com

Post by retired » November 24, 2018, 9:50 am

you can extend upto 30 days early with no loss of date and sometimes upto 45 days if travelling. It pays to get in a few weeks early for the reasons mentioned, you dont lose any time and get to meet the needs of any additional info required by the IO

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 24, 2018, 1:35 pm

retired wrote:
November 24, 2018, 9:50 am
you can extend upto 30 days early with no loss of date and sometimes upto 45 days if travelling. It pays to get in a few weeks early for the reasons mentioned, you dont lose any time and get to meet the needs of any additional info required by the IO
Good info already known but I am more about last-minute filing this year. I filed about 48 days early last December but I doubt that asking 60 days ahead this year will get much traction. I will ask of course but I can feel my "Cannot!" detector getting warm already.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”