Visa extension via Marriage

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
gprit
udonmap.com

Visa extension via Marriage

Post by gprit » October 24, 2017, 4:45 pm

Ye goodness....I thought France was a nightmare for paperwork....went to Immigration today to extend for one year via marriage. Took 1.5 hours even though I had three neat files of paperwork - one original and two copies.

1) They wanted to charge an extra 1,000 baht to 'guarantee Pension attestation from British Embassy'...until I pointed out that they had KEPT the original and it was with them (dated within three months).
2) Then THEN wanted all information about our son (?) His birth certificate, Blue book entry.....??? What has that got to do with MY application? Had the Birth Certificate and copy Thai passport....no blue book...they just shrugged...and said maybe it's ok. Finally (not sure if this is standard) they needed forms signing by a Thai national who had known me for some time....why is that??? We had taken a friend along so no problem, apart from her waiting all that time.

I often joke to my wife that I have never been able to grow a 'money tree'...but I think Immigration have!!

stereolab
udonmap.com

Re: Visa extension via Marriage

Post by stereolab » October 24, 2017, 8:56 pm

gprit wrote:
October 24, 2017, 4:45 pm
Ye goodness....I thought France was a nightmare for paperwork....went to Immigration today to extend for one year via marriage. Took 1.5 hours even though I had three neat files of paperwork - one original and two copies.

1) They wanted to charge an extra 1,000 baht to 'guarantee Pension attestation from British Embassy'...until I pointed out that they had KEPT the original and it was with them (dated within three months).
2) Then THEN wanted all information about our son (?) His birth certificate, Blue book entry.....??? What has that got to do with MY application? Had the Birth Certificate and copy Thai passport....no blue book...they just shrugged...and said maybe it's ok. Finally (not sure if this is standard) they needed forms signing by a Thai national who had known me for some time....why is that??? We had taken a friend along so no problem, apart from her waiting all that time.

I often joke to my wife that I have never been able to grow a 'money tree'...but I think Immigration have!!
If you were applying today, why would Immigration have had your INCOME letter on file, or Am I mis-understanding your point. Presumably you are referring to the Udon office.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 24, 2017, 9:18 pm

After 12 yrs of ext due to retirement, I'll be switching to marriage this year so have the hoops to jump through I suppose.

Don't understand why they need a Thai witness if they want marriage cert/ID cards/birth certs etc etc. Don't they realise that people have jobs to do and can't just drop everything to accompany a farang to immigration once a year, surely a signed declaration at the bottom of the TM7 with a photocopy of their ID card should suffice :confused:

I think that it might be an idea to take the wife with me this year (she has never had to go to immigration before lucky lass) cant find anything on the immigration instructions to say she should be there in person, it just says copy of her ID & Blue house book :-k

Faraday
udonmap.com

Post by Faraday » October 24, 2017, 9:32 pm

Got the Marriage Visa last week. Very straightforward, no extra payments required.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » October 24, 2017, 10:14 pm

gprit wrote:
October 24, 2017, 4:45 pm

sounds like a communication problem or scam going on,or maybe both,what visa were you on before?the letter from the embassy is your 'guarantee,but not sure why they would of kept it? and then asked for 1000 baht if i remember rightly they hand the original straight back to you once theyve converted the amount into baht, no need to show anything from your son,surprised they let the no blue book slide?but you do need to take a witness with you,the last 4 extensions ive done,they get the witness to sign straight away then she/hes free to go,then its just the 2 kilos worth of paperwork you
and the wife have to sign :D no wonder the rain forests are disappearing so fast,i done mine last month probably the easiest one ive done i parked the car while the wife went in,when i arrived she was already sat down making a start,in and out in 20 minutes

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 25, 2017, 12:17 am

At least these days immigration is fairly quiet. All my visits this year have involved waits of under 10 minutes or none at all. They always want more paperwork, i just let them do the photocopying for the marriage extension, and give them a small tip. i do remember getting writers cramp countersigning all those pages in Duplicate!

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » October 25, 2017, 4:28 pm

It’s nothing new that many applicants wonder the reasons why the requirements to obtain any visa should vary from one immigration office to another and even from officer to officer within a single office.
I’ve extended my visa based on marriage for many years and provide the pile of almost identical paperwork to meet the red tape, even though, presumably, there’s an enormous file out back and/or much of the information is on computer.
But, if it’s of help to anyone to avoid being ‘messed about’, here’s a list of what I do. It includes things I’ve been asked for over the years and now I take all I can think of. Asked to undertake an 80 kms return home(I’m sure there are others further away) to get something on the whim of an officer is something I try to avoid. I am sure some of the forms are requested to satisfy the officer that the marriage is genuine.

My wife comes with me. (I thought this was a definite requirement in a marriage application and there’s one form generated at the visit that she is required to sign, plus others.)
I bring a witness. (I ask the Village Head to come. He has to bring two copies of his ID and blue house book.)
I provide two sets of paperwork. (BUT I also bring originals of everything too, in case the Officer asks.) Do NOT sign these, as the Officer will rubber stamp them all first!

The paperwork ………
TM7 application form (don’t forget you’ll need 2 photos to attach to original and copy)
Passport (I tend to copy ALL pages and the TM6 card and leave it to the Officer to pick out what he/she really wants)
Embassy letter (confirmation of income, which I obtain about a week before planned visit. I even retain the Embassy receipt of payment, recalling an occasion when Immigration queried whether a new passport sent via the Embassy might be a forgery.)
Thai marriage certificate
English translation of above.
The 2nd form accompanying the Thai marriage certificate. (Kor Ror 2)
The form showing my wife’s choice to change her surname on marriage.
Affirmation of Freedom to Marry document (the form one had to get at the Embassy and approved at Thai MFA) in Thai
English translation of above.
Wife’s ID card
Her blue house book (Tabian bahn)
The witness ID card and house book
My son’s Thai birth certificate
English translation of above
Three photos of the ‘family’ – me, wife + son (one in front of house with house no. showing,
Second in living room, third in bedroom)
Map showing house location
Exact money (1900 baht)

Additionally, in my case
Yellow house book
Divorce papers relating to my first Thai marriage.
And, although I don’t recall being asked for it, my bank book where my pensions are credited.

Then, I just hope they haven’t thought of something else!

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » October 25, 2017, 4:50 pm

Excellent post Brian.

Do they no longer require a map of the location of where you live?

I provided one over two pages last year. The IO never looked at them and stamped two of the same page. I couldn't be bothered to point out his mistake. Didn't stop the Immigration Police finding the house though. :D

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » October 25, 2017, 6:36 pm

Galee wrote:
October 25, 2017, 4:50 pm
Do they no longer require a map of the location of where you live?
I did list the map, Galee. I'm not, of course, suggesting that any officer will ask for all I've listed, but I prefer to be prepared as best I can.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 25, 2017, 6:52 pm

Thanks Brian

Just a couple of queries ....

Do you know why a Thai Immigration Officer would want an English translation of a Thai marriage cert and Thai birth cert?

"The 2nd form accompanying the Thai marriage certificate. (Kor Ror 2)
The form showing my wife’s choice to change her surname on marriage."

What the 'ell are these, never heard reference to either before :shock:

"Affirmation of Freedom to Marry document (the form one had to get at the Embassy and approved at Thai MFA) in Thai
English translation of above."

That ones confused me ....... Lord only knows where that is now :confused: doesn't the fact that you have the marriage certificate prove that this was in existance when you married?

Jusr re read the form they gave me last week with the requirements and it doesn't mention that spouse has to be in attendance, just that you have to have a copy of her ID Card and House Reg book ........ probably got lost in translation :lol: ..... It does however mention in Other needed DOCUMENTS...... a Thai witness (Not relatives person) :lol:

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » October 25, 2017, 7:55 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
October 25, 2017, 6:52 pm
Thanks Brian

Just a couple of queries ....

Do you know why a Thai Immigration Officer would want an English translation of a Thai marriage cert and Thai birth cert?

What the 'ell are these, never heard reference to either before :shock:

"Affirmation of Freedom to Marry document (the form one had to get at the Embassy and approved at Thai MFA) in Thai

That ones confused me ....... Lord only knows where that is now :confused: doesn't the fact that you have the marriage certificate prove that this was in existance when you married?

Jusr re read the form they gave me last week with the requirements and it doesn't mention that spouse has to be in attendance, just that you have to have a copy of her ID Card and House Reg book ........ probably got lost in translation :lol: ..... It does however mention in Other needed DOCUMENTS...... a Thai witness (Not relatives person) :lol:

Stattointhailand, sounds to me like the Immigration Officer is confused or doesn't know how to get his point across to you. As for the Freedom to Marry document, I understand that this form has been requested by Immigration because there have been many cases where a Marriage Certificate was obtained fraudulently and the Freedom to Marry Affadavit was never obtained from the expat's embassy. They are just trying to make sure your marriage was totally legal, so I can understand that part. However, the Freedom to Marry Affadavit would naturally be in the English language since it comes from your Embassy, but the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs will require a Thai translation before that document can be authenticated by them. I'm sure your Immigration Officer meant to say "a Thai translation" then.

As for the other requirements, your guess is as good as mine! Sounds to me like he's creating a problem for you so that he has good reason to expect you to "grease his palm".
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » October 25, 2017, 9:00 pm

Statto, you're asking me to explain Thai thinking/procedures? :lol:

"Do you know why a Thai Immigration Officer would want an English translation of a Thai marriage cert and Thai birth cert?"
No, I can't and I cannot recall now if and when I was asked to supply both. It may be I initially supplied the English versions, they wanted Thai and I continued to supply both to cover all options. Logic suggests they should only require the Thai versions.

What the 'ell are these, never heard reference to either before :shock: "

There has been reference to the Kor Ror 2 in topics before. My explanation is that it's a two page black/white document (someone referred to it as a registry document) which provides a bit more info about the marriage agreement. It would be issued at the same time as the coloured, numbered marriage certificate.

Again, the form showing the surname change would be issued by the Amphur at the marriage. This is a coloured form, similar to the marriage cert. It does NOT have an individual index number like the marriage cert, but within the text, my wife tells me the form is called a Chang 5.

I totally agree, but I do remember emphatically being asked to produce it, perhaps at a time when Immigration was particularly concerned about possible fake marriages. Again, as you say, the laid down procedure is that one shouldn't have been able to get married without going through the rigmarole of having this form anyway.

Generally one would think that if Immigration had any doubt about a particular marriage, an investigation officer popping up to the relevant Amphur would soon find out!

"it doesn't mention that spouse has to be in attendance"

I can't imagine that the spouse ISN'T required to be there, but I may be wrong. The wife would normally have to sign her ID and house book in the presence of the IO and, as I said, the form generated on computer from information you have provided. If I recall correctly, it includes e.g. information about your parents' names. It's a form in Thai. I've complained that I'm also being asked to sign a form which I cannot read and MAY have incorrect information. I wasn't allowed to add a comment to that effect on the document. The response from the IO was that '"your wife must translate it for you". BUT, there's hardly time to do a complete translation then and you're not given a copy to take away!

May I repeat that you may not be asked for all these forms - I do provide them, because I've been asked for the majority of them in the past and want to lessen the possibility of being given the runaround or hassle. Even in this topic, there's an indication an Officer is 'trying it on'.

Perhaps best for you to provide the documents obviously needed and hope you don't get asked for more.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 25, 2017, 9:51 pm

Thanks Brian ..... would have thought after all these years of having to report every 90 days it would be a case of ..... OK its you ..... tick, see ya in 90 days by now, but TIT and its just as confusing if not more so than when I first applied at Nong Khai to Mr Happy :lol:

Think I'll get what papers I can still find together, try to get the misses AND one of the retired neighbours to have a day out, get a suitcase full of photocopies and cross me fingers :lol:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 26, 2017, 12:15 am

Brian

appreciate the effort

Question, did they re start your 90 day reporting from the day your extended the visa

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » October 26, 2017, 3:43 am

This is one that i re wrote due to the confusion surrounding the extension , it always works perfectly for me , every year i re search to see if it needs up dating ,
Attachments
Requirements for Visa extension based on marriage.jpg

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » October 26, 2017, 4:00 am

Affirmation of freedom to marry paper , i was asked for this , and i stated "the Amphur office where you registered your marriage at keeps the paper" that's why many don't know where it disappeared to ,they did not push this further and have never asked for it again since ( this was 15 years ago some things have changed ) Not sure if Amphur office keeps it these days ,, on a marriage extension the wife HAS to be present ,also the witness has to be a Thai national (not any inlaws or out laws , ha ) At Udon Im ( for me they have alway's requested a map of my address , ) i just hand draw it , ( They have never paid me a visit , possibly because ( after a few altercations in that office ,know i will not contribute to their fuel expenses ) Hope this helps ,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/quote]
Last edited by Hoopoe on October 26, 2017, 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » October 26, 2017, 5:22 am

wazza wrote:
October 26, 2017, 12:15 am
Brian

appreciate the effort

Question, did they re start your 90 day reporting from the day your extended the visa
I had to look in the passport to check, because I've never been bothered about the date they want me to return for the couple of minutes task. I've never had a clash or been e.g. out of the country on the required date and there is a some flexibility allowed in when you have to report, before or after the date.

But yes, Wazza, it seems they calculated the 90 days reporting from the day of the FINAL approval (after the 1 month or so waiting time) and not from the visa renewal date.

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » October 26, 2017, 2:28 pm

"If you were applying today, why would Immigration have had your INCOME letter on file, or Am I mis-understanding your point. Presumably you are referring to the Udon office."
Yes, Udon office. I came to Thailand at short notice, 30 day visa exempt. Then extended for 60 days (at which I had to produce Income letter from Embassy). Cost for that Visa 6000baht. Then this extension based on Marrriage...1900 baht. They never previously gave the original income letter back....
Head man wrote a list of what they required.....nothing about son...

Had to produce (Original and two copies):
1) Marriage cert -original (no English translation)
2) Kor Ror 2 Marriage certificate.
3) No need for Change of name document.
4) Copies of wife's id/blue book etc.
5) My passport/copies
6) Photos of us together where we live......(and a statement that Police may call and check).
7) Location Map

My wife accompanied me (although not strictly necessary) as did a Thai person who knew me (with their ID and blue book).

STILL at a loss to know why they wanted details of my son - born in Thailand/Thai passport.

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » October 30, 2017, 11:25 am

Am I a suspicious character????

My wife had a phone call form immigration today - despite us taking a Thai national to immigration when applying for the extension (she signed their forms, copies of blue book/id), it seems they want a SECOND Thai person to do the same thing - the only bright spot is that they will come to our house - so they can see we live here. Good thing we have nice Thai neighbours....

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 30, 2017, 12:59 pm

If this were the UK I'd say someone needed a bit of O/T and to get his out of pocket expenses bumped up a bit, but I'm sure that wouldn't be the case in Udon :lol:

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”