TM30 to be or not to be

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
maaka
udonmap.com

TM30 to be or not to be

Post by maaka » September 1, 2022, 9:49 am

look I am feeling my way around my new Retirement Visa and the 90 reporting thing..
I have been in to Imm twice for check in and neither time has the young man asked for a TM30, but you hear so much about the need for this thing..Usually my GF writes a note to say when I am arriving in country and a copy of her ID., but of course I am not arriving anymore....do you guys present TM30s or house books (which I am not on ). is my GF the landlord, for we have never present anything over the years , other than year letter...

fatbob
udonmap.com

Re: TM30 to be or not to be

Post by fatbob » September 1, 2022, 10:15 am

maaka wrote:
September 1, 2022, 9:49 am
look I am feeling my way around my new Retirement Visa and the 90 reporting thing..
I have been in to Imm twice for check in and neither time has the young man asked for a TM30, but you hear so much about the need for this thing..Usually my GF writes a note to say when I am arriving in country and a copy of her ID., but of course I am not arriving anymore....do you guys present TM30s or house books (which I am not on ). is my GF the landlord, for we have never present anything over the years , other than year letter...
Go and get a yellow book, its one less hurdle to go through in an otherwise simple procedure, my last eight or so visa's have taken no more than fifteen minutes from entering immigration to walking out the door.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » September 1, 2022, 10:17 am

where does one procure a yellowish book

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 1, 2022, 10:40 am

I have never done a TM30, but last time I did my extension they asked why not have
blah blah gave me 1 saying I could be fined
but actual it is the blue book holder who is responsible for doing TM30
owner of where you stay

mackat
udonmap.com

Post by mackat » September 1, 2022, 11:47 am

As you called it Noosard. I did one about 5 years ago but my wife, the owner in the house, had to fill it in together with a copy of her ID card etc for verification.Cost me 300 baht. I only did it because Udon Immigration asked me for it.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » September 1, 2022, 12:05 pm

maaka wrote:
September 1, 2022, 10:17 am
where does one procure a yellowish book
From the Ampher office in Phen, very simple to do, a good Ampher in Phen now, a lot better than the old racist that was there.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 1, 2022, 12:25 pm

A new TM30 is only required when you enter, or (theoretically) re-enter Thailand

Also required if you move to live at a different address within Thailand.

It should be lodged at your home Immo office ie Udon, or wherever you relocate to.

It is not needed if you go on holiday within Thailand, and return to live at the same address where you have already reported. Also debatable whether needed if you leave the country, and return to the same address when you return.

You can do your 90 day report online.

I agree re getting a yellow book.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » September 1, 2022, 12:49 pm

Mrs Dero has never done a TM 30 for me nor has it been spoken about at the Imm office??
We booked into the Pannarai last week and this was the 1st time they didn't require my passport even though I offered it. I was under the impression hotels had to submit TM 30s for Farang guests???
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » September 1, 2022, 2:29 pm

Thanks fella's for all the replies and info..
I have never needed one of these things before..Udon Imm has always been pretty good to me.
.I am just a cautious bugger
I will go loaded with a TM30 signed by the GF, just in case, as its alongway home, and back, to get the working missus to sign something..

And perhaps I will attempt matters at the Phen Amphur office on my way thru...

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » September 5, 2022, 5:00 pm

just as a follow up in case other chaps are in the same boat.
Udon Immigration has always been good to me..you treat them right and they treat you right..
I was in and out of there quicker than a robbers dog..
The bloke behind the 90 day desk is so helpful and you can throw any question at him, and he has the answer..
didnt need no TM30 of signed letter from Her Indoors..or even a photo, and I got my 90 days extension and a re-entry permit (1000bt ),,

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » September 5, 2022, 10:53 pm

In 2018 at Nongkhai Imm I was fined 2000 for not doing a timely 90 day as I foolishly left my previous 90 day clipped in my passport. I politely showed them I had just re-entered the Kingdom less than 90 days prior so they were incorrectly fining me. My wife heard them speaking to each other about how they were going to justify a 2000 baht fine as they apparently already started writing a receipt for it.

They then asked for my TM-30 which we didn't ever do yet. She was fined the 2000 instead of me so they got their funds. After that episode, my wife registered our house address as a guest house (they don't have a single family home option). I diligently do the online TM30 with every trip to Bangkok or whenever a hotel might send one. Nongkhai Imm has since become a bit more friendly and professional but just in case.

I just came back from BKK on the past weekend so I made sure the TM30 was completed online as I need to take my new passport in for transferring Non-B Visa etc. over to the new number. It's been 10 years but I'm sure the transfer was free last time so I don't want loose ends that I (or me wifey) may be subjected to.

NOTE: If you do elect to use the TM30 online system it is not overtly user friendly. Many hoops to register the house then a bit hard for the likes of me to fill in later. Take a screenshot before clicking save as after that there is an entry to a table but all the details used cannot be seen. Oh and deciphering what each date means can be challenging so having a Thai reader with you helps. I like to clip a copy of these things in my passport too to show them I did enter it properly.
ExampleTM30online.jpg
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 6, 2022, 8:11 am

jackspratt wrote:
September 1, 2022, 12:25 pm
A new TM30 is only required when you enter, or (theoretically) re-enter Thailand

Also required if you move to live at a different address within Thailand.

It should be lodged at your home Immo office ie Udon, or wherever you relocate to.

It is not needed if you go on holiday within Thailand, and return to live at the same address where you have already reported. Also debatable whether needed if you leave the country, and return to the same address when you return.

You can do your 90 day report online.

I agree re getting a yellow book.
The TM30 is only required when changing your residence address. Udon does not require a new one when returning to you main address, this is true of returning from abroad easily well as from any stays in Thailand.
They will check that you have one in your passport, they will usually fill one in for you if you don’t have yours/haven’t filled one in, when you do an extension.

However if you decide to visit on your return to Thailand with a new TM30 they are unlikely to refuse it.

The yellow book and pink card are useful, the pink card is often used in place of my passport.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 6, 2022, 9:03 am

They may check if you have done it
As I posted before, last visit to IMO they asked where it was
And I could be fined for not doing
after I have been going there for the last 2 years
Doing 90 day reports etc
And doing the marriage way they have visited my home 3 times in 12 years

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 6, 2022, 9:29 am

noosard wrote:
September 6, 2022, 9:03 am
They may check if you have done it
Or look in your passport, which is where I keep the 2 “RECEIPT OF NOTIFICATION” forms 2 vaccination certificates and my TM6 and occasionally a 90 day receipt.
noosard wrote:

As I posted before, last visit to IMO they asked where it was
And I could be fined for not doing
Indeed you could if you haven’t completed one. However if you don’t have one you could also complete one and it’s quite possible that there will be no penalty.
noosard wrote:

after I have been going there for the last 2 years
Doing 90 day reports etc
And doing the marriage way they have visited my home 3 times in 12 years
The only time Udon immigration usually checks is during your annual renewal, and this is not a systematic check so it has been missed. Also since the TM30 requirement has varied you may not have needed one during your first extension so been missed when it became required.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 6, 2022, 11:15 am

When did it become a requirement ?
Must have been in the last 12 years

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » September 6, 2022, 1:23 pm

(TM30) 2019 I think I read somewhere before I first posted, thats what got me going..

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 6, 2022, 1:38 pm

noosard wrote:
September 6, 2022, 11:15 am
When did it become a requirement ?
Must have been in the last 12 years
The law has been in place since 1979
But enforcement was virtually non existent outside hotels and guesthouses until 2019 since then the requirements have changed a few times the most recent was on 30th June 2022
2.2 After the house holder, owner or possessor of the premise of hotel
manager has reported as defined in Article 2.1, the same alien has left the premise and
returned for another stay within the valid period, the house holder, owner or possessor
of the premise of hotel manager do not need to make another report;
The alien as defined in paragraph one shall include those who
being granted multiple-visa who leaves and returns to the Kingdom with specified
time in the visa, and those with re-entry permit.
The second paragraph is stating that if a person on a multiple entry visa or has an extension of stay and enters using a re-entry permit a new TM30 report is not required.

This is like many Thai rules in that different offices may have a different interpretations

TIT YMMV

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » September 6, 2022, 2:59 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
September 6, 2022, 1:38 pm
This is like many Thai rules in that different offices may have a different interpretations
TIT YMMV
Yes, hit the nail on the head, STWW.

Today I went to NKI Immigration to transfer my Non-B extension etc over to my new passport and obviously new passport number.

The Sr. Officer did so with the usual amount of professionalism. I gave her my letter from the embassy, online TM30 screenshot and 90 day from just days ago on the old passport reference along with old and new passports. This took about 45 min as they used a drawer full of stamps, had to copy every single one of the 52 old passport pages and I had to sign them all too as I do every year the other 200 odd pages for the extension. Luckily, I had one blank page in the old passport for the stamp referring to the new passport. Copies only cost 50 THB which is only slightly more than my color laser prints would have cost me, 555.

After some time, she looked bewildered and frustrated so I produced my Nov 2019 TM6 from the pile of other white papers generally clipped in the passport. She was relieved and said she had been looking through the database for it and couldn't find it. I never thought she would need that since the number and date are clearly stated on the top portion of the TM30. This told me she didn't pay attention to the TM30 and may have been even a little unfamiliar with it.

I will continue to update the TM30 online when I travel within Thailand overnight since on a whim the interpretation of the rules can be swayed in the wrong direction if they have a mandate to cash in on fines. BTW there is a sign in Thai telling landlords to report the check-in and check-out dates of tenants according to my wife.

All in all a fairly straight forward interaction and might have been done with or without TM30.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 6, 2022, 4:38 pm

Potamoi wrote:
September 6, 2022, 2:59 pm
I will continue to update the TM30 online when I travel within Thailand overnight since on a whim the interpretation of the rules can be swayed in the wrong direction if they have a mandate to cash in on fines. BTW there is a sign in Thai telling landlords to report the check-in and check-out dates of tenants according to my wife.

All in all a fairly straight forward interaction and might have been done with or without TM30.
The rule under section 2.2 is clear that a report of a return to a premises is not required.
12ABFD53-6EDD-45AC-A0F9-885C517790E9.jpeg
The requirement to report on the stay of a tenant is equally unambiguous.

However NonKai immigration is one of the offices known to be rather overly zealous on their over interpretation of rules.

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » September 6, 2022, 5:01 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
September 6, 2022, 4:38 pm

The requirement to report on the stay of a tenant is equally unambiguous.

However NonKai immigration is one of the offices known to be rather overly zealous on their over interpretation of rules.
Agreed. However The 2016-2019 NKI Imm is not the same as the one now. There were about three nasty pieces of work in there back then. The group now are professional, kind and helpful. Not only are the people more friendly but I think there is some magic that happens after the 5th renewal of an annual extension on a Non-B. Perhaps more credibility as a real business rather than a suspected money laundry also plays a part.

Today all was just fine. Thanks for clarification and the attachment STWW!
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”