air force exercise

Udon Thani news, views and comments
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: air force exercise

Post by Khun Paul » August 21, 2022, 7:09 am

In fact Don Muang wished to expand BUT the RTAF refused to move even though building a RTASF base would be far cheaper, unable to expand it had to build a huge international Airport albeit badly.
Amazing how people perceptions vary, I remember the ARGUMENTS over this in the press.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 22, 2022, 8:29 am

thought Suvarnaphum was in the works for decades and finally got pushed through by Taksin although it opened after he'd been deposed...
Dave

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 22, 2022, 11:20 am

You are correct another Airport was muted but expanding Don Muang was a stop gap removing the RTAF Golf Course and moving the Air freight to the other side ( RTAF side ) would have expanded Don Muang by at least 100 % . Giving time for other RTAF Airbases to be civilianised to make more space that was the initial plan, however they now have a poorly constructed International Airport .And even more important RTASF bases no longer needed but kept because !!!
I have never walked so far to get a plane anywhere including Frankfurt or Miami , both of the afore mentioned are big airports

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 22, 2022, 12:52 pm

i believe Frankfurt was many moons ago listed as one of the worlds top 5 airports based on size .. i transited many years ago and it had an underground railway system that took you to the departure/boarding gates ..cant recall the exact number but even back then seemed like loads of boarding gates... obviously now it has been surpassed by many others

heres the list of the worlds biggest top 10 airports by land size.. (not passengers or traffic) and Frankfurt doesnt even come close nowadays.

Suvarnabhumi Airport. ...
Cairo International Airport. ...
Shanghai Pudong International Airport. ...
George Bush Intercontinental Airport. ...
Beijing Daxing International Airport. ...
Washington Dulles International Airport. ...
Orlando International Airport. ...
Dallas Fort Worth International Airport.

Some info closer to home ... a recent heads up from a guy living next door to DMs new digs a retired Taharnagarht RTAF officer ...

Due in 2024/25 the Singaporean AF are relocating to a the old airbase in the Nam Pong / Ubonrat area of in KK province which is being revamped now including new run ways , apartments a shopping center and entertainment zone ..... so the 8;30 am jet engine blasts that rattle yer teef will become a thing of the past... which is excellent news being as im right behind wing 23.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » August 22, 2022, 1:21 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
August 22, 2022, 12:52 pm
heres the list of the worlds biggest top 10 airports by land size.. (not passengers or traffic) and Frankfurt doesnt even come close nowadays.
I'd be interested to see a similar list ranked by square feet/meters of terminal space. The terminal at Dulles, for example, isn't that big, but the airport has enormous runway and taxiway space. It also has that extra mini-taxiway from the far end of runway 19L, south to the Udvar-Hazy Museum.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 22, 2022, 1:37 pm

Oh many trying to criticise, I WAS talking about the distance between one Gate to another, but maybe that went over people heads.
NOT TO WORRY As long as you all enjoyed yourselves.....lol

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 22, 2022, 1:42 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
August 22, 2022, 1:37 pm
Oh many trying to criticise, I WAS talking about the distance between one Gate to another, but maybe that went over people heads.
NOT TO WORRY As long as you all enjoyed yourselves.....lol
Nothing went over my head , i cant see any criticism .. i simply posted re airport by size and recalling using Frankfurt airport all be it many years ago .. i mentioned the number and distance to the gates as i remember the railway /tube train required .

Has the dampness gone to your inner being KP??

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 22, 2022, 1:56 pm

I think the latest guesstimate for Nam Phong is 2026.....but given t.i.t. factor and continued AOT press to take over the Udon airport, I'd not hold my breath.
As I read the news, Nam Phong will be used to facilitate exercises and flight training by Singapore AF.....and probably Chinese as well. I haven't seen anything that says Wing 23 is pulling up stakes for the new airport.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » August 22, 2022, 1:58 pm

Udon Map wrote:
August 22, 2022, 1:21 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:
I'd be interested to see a similar list ranked by square feet/meters of terminal space. The terminal at Dulles, for example, isn't that big, but the airport has enormous runway and taxiway space. It also has that extra mini-taxiway from the far end of runway 19L, south to the Udvar-Hazy Museum.
Yes, the land size of the airport is almost pointless. Not sure where Mr. Drunkey Monkey got the stats but I know that an airport in Saudi is always reported to be the largest by land size.
n terms of overall size, an individual Fahd International Airport in Dammam, Saudi Arabia is the world's biggest airport by an overwhelming margin. Taking up nearly 300 square miles, this former United States airbase very nearly matches the area of all five boroughs of New York City put together (302.6 mi2)
However from experience, as it used to be my closet airport for several years, I can confirm it is certainly not a big airport and actually quite rubbish in every possible area.
Whenever possible I would driv across the causeway to Bahrain and use their airport instead. Supped many a cold pint of Guinness in Fiddlers Green bar inside the terminal. \:D/

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 22, 2022, 2:07 pm

deankham wrote:
August 22, 2022, 1:58 pm
Udon Map wrote:
August 22, 2022, 1:21 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:
Yes, the land size of the airport is almost pointless. Not sure where Mr. Drunkey Monkey got the stats but I know that an airport in Saudi is always reported to be the largest by land size.
n terms of overall size, an individual Fahd International Airport in Dammam, Saudi Arabia is the world's biggest airport by an overwhelming margin. Taking up nearly 300 square miles, this former United States airbase very nearly matches the area of all five boroughs of New York City put together (302.6 mi2)
However from experience, as it used to be my closet airport for several years, I can confirm it is certainly not a big airport and actually quite rubbish in every possible area.
Whenever possible I would driv across the causeway to Bahrain and use their airport instead. Supped many a cold pint of Guinness in Fiddlers Green bar inside the terminal. \:D/
Tinternet mate .. gongled it

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » August 22, 2022, 3:42 pm

Don't trust google mate. They just make stuff up.

I always ask Geoff down the local boozer, he knows every-fing-thing.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 22, 2022, 4:59 pm

deankham wrote:
August 22, 2022, 3:42 pm
Don't trust google mate. They just make stuff up.

I always ask Geoff down the local boozer, he knows every-fing-thing.
so what your saying is google isnt my friend ??? .. btw several sites did come up with the same list i posted ,,

also i note SCUNTHORPE international airport was some way off the top 10.

DM

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » August 22, 2022, 5:26 pm

This is what Google is telling me;
About 30,300,000 results (0.81 seconds)
Top 10 Largest Airports in the World by Land Area (in square miles): individual Fahd International (DMM) — Dammam, Saudi Arabia — 776 km2 (299.61 mi2) Denver International (DEN) — Denver, CO United States — 135.7 km2 (53.09 mi2) Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW) — Dallas, TX United States — 69.6 km2 (26.88 mi2)
The exploits of you and KP's sausage fest in Frankfurt doesn't get a look in [-( :-k

Trust no-one, not even Google.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » August 22, 2022, 7:08 pm

Back on track. Now the weather has cleared up they were playing games over head again this afternoon.
Not as serious as the Singaporeans, at times I see them releasing phospherous chaff, makes for an entertaining afternoon on my balcony with the odd beer.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 23, 2022, 7:13 am

Yes interesting that flying only in DRY weather, note to the PM, invasion when it occurs will only occur in the Dry seasons, same as during the Cold War, those who served know that any invasion or attack would happen on Christmas day....haha

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 23, 2022, 8:14 am

The Cold War was not an indication as to what time of year it was as indicated in last post

Definition
Cold War, the open yet restricted rivalry that developed after World War II between the United States and the Soviet Union and their respective allies. The Cold War was waged on political, economic, and propaganda fronts and had only limited recourse to weapons.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 23, 2022, 10:47 am

Doodoo wrote:
August 23, 2022, 8:14 am
The Cold War was not an indication as to what time of year it was as indicated in last post

Definition
Cold War, the open yet restricted rivalry that developed after World War II between the United States and the Soviet Union and their respective allies. The Cold War was waged on political, economic, and propaganda fronts and had only limited recourse to weapons.
I DID WRITE invasion or attack nothing else. .....try reading before answering

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 23, 2022, 12:56 pm

Regardless what you said it is what you indicated and "same as during the Cold War, those who served know that any invasion or attack would happen on Christmas day" means you had the fellas fighting in the winter
So you need to understand what you are implying when you post

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » August 23, 2022, 1:45 pm

I was a Cold War warrior and we went on our West German exercises in September so not so chilly.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 23, 2022, 4:28 pm

Doodoo wrote:
August 23, 2022, 12:56 pm
Regardless what you said it is what you indicated and "same as during the Cold War, those who served know that any invasion or attack would happen on Christmas day" means you had the fellas fighting in the winter
So you need to understand what you are implying when you post
The inference for those that served in those times Post Cuba crises was that at that time of year Units went on leave, minimum staffing at most places , most that were there got drunk for two/three days and we all joked that if they came now we would offer a meal rather than a bullet. Obviously not having served in Armed forces you would fail to understand the irony.

Return to “Udon Thani News”