Ringroad/KK Hwy Intersection

Udon Thani news, views and comments
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Ringroad/KK Hwy Intersection

Post by Khun Paul » September 23, 2021, 5:44 pm

As I understand it from my Udonites ( Thais ) the sticking point is the SRT, suggesting being muted is a fly over encompassing the Railway crossing , problems with building feeder roads and relocation of most of the businesses on that corner ( scrap yard etc ) link roads etc. As you said a long time planning maybe nothing wiill come of it if they can put most of what the trucks take from KK to NK by train . Thought provoking it certainly is .

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 23, 2021, 7:16 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
September 23, 2021, 5:44 pm
As I understand it from my Udonites ( Thais ) the sticking point is the SRT, suggesting being muted is a fly over encompassing the Railway crossing , ............
Why are they suggesting it be kept it quiet?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 24, 2021, 6:53 am

There are times when wonders about the reading ability of some posters, I said i was inmformed not that it is set in stone and that the SRT are possibly part of the problem in enhancing this junction.

No-one said anything about it being kept quiet contrary to a certain poster who likes to stir the pot. Negotiations as I understand have been ongoing over this junction for years before anyone showed anything, that was parrt of the reason Honda took so long to rebuild. But of course certain people always think they know the answer and try to make a sensational remark which of course like many on here falls flat at the first rebuttal.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 25, 2021, 4:27 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
September 17, 2021, 4:30 pm
I cannot wait for the daily reports of the situation should it happen, makes for better reading than many posts .
I always thought the Honda Junction as it is called has always been a bottleneck especially when the lorries and trailers are all wishing to go to Nong Khai .
There ios no doubt anything would ease the holdups, following on from the Ring Road being fully dual carriageway an upgrade of the busy junctions is needed to ensure smoother traffic flows.
One always wondered why halfway along the newly dualed ring road, why they did not put ion an underpass for straight on , they have the hill and the crossover traffic was not that onerous would not need a huge bridge, do away with a set of traffic lights.
As you say yourself, the traffic on the southern ring-road is "not that onerous" so why would under/overpasses make any sort of financial sense?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 25, 2021, 4:38 pm

tamada wrote:
September 25, 2021, 4:27 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
I cannot wait for the daily reports of the situation should it happen, makes for better reading than many posts .
I always thought the Honda Junction as it is called has always been a bottleneck especially when the lorries and trailers are all wishing to go to Nong Khai .
There ios no doubt anything would ease the holdups, following on from the Ring Road being fully dual carriageway an upgrade of the busy junctions is needed to ensure smoother traffic flows.
One always wondered why halfway along the newly dualed ring road, why they did not put ion an underpass for straight on , they have the hill and the crossover traffic was not that onerous would not need a huge bridge, do away with a set of traffic lights.
As you say yourself, the traffic on the southern ring-road is "not that onerous" so why would under/overpasses make any sort of financial sense?
It would if the people making the decisions happened to have other financial interests ....... may be in the construction or road building/maintenance business or similar :-k

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 25, 2021, 4:43 pm

or the government could be using a bit of foresight and planning for an expansion of traffic as routes north to China open up with the completion of the Lao-China Railway and extension further north of the Vientiane-Vang Vieng expressway. Five years from now Chinese semi-tractor trailers may be flooding down Route 2 towards Bangkok and long freight trains hauling goods all the way from China down the China-Thai railway to Mapthaput Port..
Dave

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 25, 2021, 5:07 pm

Dave ..... I dont know how to put this, but ..... well ......... Would you like to re read the first ELEVEN words of your post "or the government could be using a bit of foresight and planning"....... even the most outrageous sci-fi writers would rewrite that to be a bit more believable :lol:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 25, 2021, 5:26 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
September 25, 2021, 4:38 pm
tamada wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:
It would if the people making the decisions happened to have other financial interests ....... may be in the construction or road building/maintenance business or similar :-k
From the rubbish job of the initial 'dualing' to the never ending story of patching and resurfacing, I reckon the contract for the expansion, repair and maintenance of the southern bypass has already been awarded in perpetuity.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 26, 2021, 7:29 am

tamada wrote:
September 25, 2021, 5:26 pm
stattointhailand wrote:
September 25, 2021, 4:38 pm
tamada wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:
From the rubbish job of the initial 'dualing' to the never ending story of patching and resurfacing, I reckon the contract for the expansion, repair and maintenance of the southern bypass has already been awarded in perpetuity.
Very true, when it first opened I always wondered why , when thay have a natural hill, they did not make the Ring Road tunnel underneath that crossing, they dug opuit enouight to make the road and a little more would do away with the need for traffic lights at all, as for the road surfascing on the new carriageway , a friend of mine did one portion explaining how and stating that the other contractor cut corners, hence the disaster and road subsidence etc. Of course NOT one Highways inspection required or carried out, bikks just paid upon presentation without ever leaving the office. They had the land available to make a really good road with simple easy to use junctions and they cocked it up. Now knee jerk reactions to problems caused by poor implementation. Like the Airport junction, good ideas badly planned .

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 16, 2021, 2:57 pm

For those who continue to believe that city officials plan in a vacuum, the second general meeting of public officials and private citizens was held on the 16th of December to discuss proposals for the ring road/KK Hwy intersection.
https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/%E0%B8 ... 9%E0%B8%B5

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 18, 2022, 5:51 pm

Yet more meetings on the design of the said intersection.
https://udontoday.co/180365-2/?fbclid=I ... gA78hpP2Js
Take the Udon-Nongkai/ringroad construction and add in an archeological sight along with a probable high speed rail overpass and airport height concerns.........it's going to be a nightmare for anyone who needs to regularly pass by that area. Be prepared!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 19, 2022, 6:40 am

Yep saw that and immediately went to work on how to circumnavigate that junction to get to where I Wanted to be. BUt I doubt if it will even start in the next two years.
But as you say chaos waiting to happen .

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 19, 2022, 10:12 am

I live very near that interesection, so pass through intersection more than once every day. Cannot understand the fuss.

The widening of the Ring Rd does cause jams, been that way for quite a while along a lot of the Ring Rd. However, never a problem turning into or out of Hwy 2 (Khon Kaen Rd) onto Ring Rd, roadworks widening is a bit of a pain, but completing at a rapid rate.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 19, 2022, 10:30 am

Whistler wrote:
March 19, 2022, 10:12 am
I live very near that interesection, so pass through intersection more than once every day. Cannot understand the fuss.

The widening of the Ring Rd does cause jams, been that way for quite a while along a lot of the Ring Rd. However, never a problem turning into or out of Hwy 2 (Khon Kaen Rd) onto Ring Rd, roadworks widening is a bit of a pain, but completing at a rapid rate.
Yes but if you remember the sheer chaos the overpass /underpass caused at the Ring Road junction with the Nong Khai road, and triple the traffic flow, two reasonably large schools in the vicinity plus the fact that HONDA has just rebuilt so no space on that side . Any construction of an overpass, times two would be nightmare even for a man in a disability scooter let alone fit people in cars etc.

Added to that signage and planning is not exactly used on the ground, might be on paper but !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Execution is a completely different matter !!

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 19, 2022, 11:40 am

KP
What you call KAOS I considered normal traffic
I would travel twice everyday and found it organized and pleasantly flowing

Best you stay away to lighten your whinning load

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 19, 2022, 1:19 pm

You must be blind (or did your 2 journeys everyday at 2 and 3 am) if you considered the clusterf*ck they made of the NK junction anything approaching "normal"

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 19, 2022, 1:57 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
March 19, 2022, 1:19 pm
You must be blind (or did your 2 journeys everyday at 2 and 3 am) if you considered the clusterf*ck they made of the NK junction anything approaching "normal"
I go through the NK intersection around 7 am heading from east Udon towards NK and again around 4 pm coming back the other way. It's way easier now than it used to be as a light-controlled 4-way. Once they get the road widening completed from the Samprao/Global lights all the way to the NK flyover, it will be even easier.

How long was that construction 'chaos' anyway? Anyone remember?

I just came back from Ubon where after over 5 years, their double flyovers with underpasses on the 231 northwest side bypass are STILL major building sites with multiple u-turns. Now THAT"S a nightmare.

I'm just hoping that the KK intersection makeover does include a bloody great big roundabout as suggested by one of the graphics in one of the linked websites in an earlier post.
the magic roundabout.jpg
That should keep KP busy.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 19, 2022, 2:14 pm

NK Hwy/Ringroad started summerish 2017, finished Novemberish 2019
Screaming and gnashing of teeth at https://udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/view ... 13&t=26545

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 19, 2022, 2:22 pm

As someone who lives the "wrong" side of the NK underpass (ie someone who has to use that route), it took about 3 years of carnage to save waiting at the lights for 2 minutes .......I'd have to live to about 150 to see those savings made from using the tunnel recoup the hours lost on detours and jams whilst they built the bloody thing

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 19, 2022, 2:28 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
March 19, 2022, 2:22 pm
As someone who lives the "wrong" side of the NK underpass (ie someone who has to use that route), it took about 3 years of carnage to save waiting at the lights for 2 minutes .......I'd have to live to about 150 to see those savings made from using the tunnel recoup the hours lost on detours and jams whilst they built the bloody thing
According to parrot, it only took about 28-ish months.

If you tack on the advance warning, community liaison and commercial consultation ,etc.,, it was probably 3 years all-in. I consider that's more than enough time to have found somewhere else to live, no?

Anyhoo, that's done and dusted and off topic. This is about the pending KK junction fustercluck and keeping KP busy finding get-arounds. Maybe you have some tips to share with him?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “Udon Thani News”