Water Pipe Repair

Udon Thani news, views and comments
parrot
udonmap.com

Water Pipe Repair

Post by parrot » March 17, 2021, 1:07 am

Water pipe repair job affecting Sam Prao, ring road, and a variety of other areas as shown.
Attachments
2021-03-16 (2).png

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Water Pipe Repair

Post by tamada » March 17, 2021, 6:25 am

Reminds me to get some spare thingmies for the mains water filter. Usually the repair work results in a bit of broon water.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 27, 2021, 3:39 pm

It would be something like this, down the road from my place [-(

Udon Thani Water Repair Work  (2) (Large).jpg

I don't see any signs of this in their hands :-k :-k

Thai PVC Pipe Solvent Weld.jpg
Thai PVC Pipe Solvent Weld.jpg (52.58 KiB) Viewed 4411 times

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » March 27, 2021, 4:41 pm

No need. These are fit-in PVC pipes. One end of the pipe is slightly larger to receive the next section

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 27, 2021, 5:18 pm

the-monk wrote:
March 27, 2021, 4:41 pm
No need. These are fit-in PVC pipes. One end of the pipe is slightly larger to receive the next section
I understand that one end of the PVC pipe is larger in diameter, than the end that slides into it.

But these "Fit in PVC Pipes", that you refer to, are rated to what water pressure (how many Bar or psi), at the connection points, without the solvent?

As far as I can tell from the photo, they are not HDPE with a form of welded connection, nor are they PPR pipes & fittings.

pipoz4444

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 27, 2021, 7:11 pm

I have only used the tapered-fit piping in non-pressurized drainage works without solvent. Not at all sure that it would be reliable with any sort of pressure if solvent wasn't used.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » March 27, 2021, 7:37 pm

I am no hydraulic engineer therefore i cannot answer the pressure question. I did a quick Google search and here is what i came up with.
Each pvc 4m length pipe carry a pressure code in kg/cm2 such as 5, 8.5 and 13 which translate to 72, 121 and 185 PSI.

For complete info.. http://www.thaipipe.com/products&services/upvcpipe.htm

Hope it can help.
Here in Udon, inside the Ring Road i have seen few times the city waterworks people laying pvc pipes that look to be 3 inches in dia without using any cement, glue, fitting etc. Just lay the pipes and backfill.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 27, 2021, 8:18 pm

They didn't use cement/glue on many of the water pipes in our estate ....... surprise, surprise every house had to have repair work done (most including replacement areas of ceiling) as soon as they were occupied and the water turned on,

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 27, 2021, 11:29 pm

the-monk wrote:
March 27, 2021, 7:37 pm
I am no hydraulic engineer therefore i cannot answer the pressure question. I did a quick Google search and here is what i came up with.
Each pvc 4m length pipe carry a pressure code in kg/cm2 such as 5, 8.5 and 13 which translate to 72, 121 and 185 PSI.

For complete info.. http://www.thaipipe.com/products&services/upvcpipe.htm

Hope it can help.
Here in Udon, inside the Ring Road i have seen few times the city waterworks people laying pvc pipes that look to be 3 inches in dia without using any cement, glue, fitting etc. Just lay the pipes and backfill.
I suspect the pressure code figures in your post are for a pipe failure and not a failure at the joint connection. Pipes rarely burst mid length, as the weakest point in the system is the joint or connection point.

The UPVC pipe that was in the picture, appears to the standard Thai or Chinese Manufactured PVC pipe good for low grade pressure pipework systems, (i.e. potable water, irrigation systems and the like), nothing wrong with it if you use the solvent at the joints, but almost guaranteed to leak under pressure at the joint/connection, if you don't use the solvent glue to weld that joint (given there is no threading, flanging, or mechanical connection). The chemical solvent melts the two interconnecting surfaces of the PVC pipes, effectively welding the plastic together. :wave:

A professional Municipality wanting a long lasting potable water system would invest in HDPE [-(

Cheers

pipoz4444.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 28, 2021, 7:03 am

Pipoz444, I read your post twice as I thought you had written HOPE, which I am sure judging by Water Pipe contractors I ahve seen around here in the last few years, is what the Municipality be that Udon or the local Tessabans are praying for . lol

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 28, 2021, 12:18 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
March 28, 2021, 7:03 am
Pipoz444, I read your post twice as I thought you had written HOPE, which I am sure judging by Water Pipe contractors I ahve seen around here in the last few years, is what the Municipality be that Udon or the local Tessabans are praying for . lol
Something like this would be nice

High Density Polyethylene pipework & fittings, made in Thailand, available from TAP Co Ltd , Bangkok or Thai-Asia PE Pipe Co in Nakhon Ratchasima.

TAP Co Ltd1940442.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeEEflc6uII

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » March 29, 2021, 6:30 am

Picture looks very much like the rubbish installed in thousands of houses in Aus, only to fail in droves and ripped out, never to return.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 29, 2021, 6:56 am

What I have found here relating to BLUE water pipes so beloved by many is there are TWO distinct thicknesses of pipe, now often the local Materials shop , stocks the cheaper or thinner pipe and sometimes the fittings are either too loose or tight depends on which company he gets them from.
But the MAIN DIY outlets normally stock the thicker more substantial pipe and fittings.
The Pipe cement highlighted above in a previous post should be applied liberally to both parts before joining with a twist if possible , to ensure good seating and sealing, although I have been told of a far superior glue which does not degrade over time, although in honesty after 19 years most of my pipe fittings are still solid and not leaking .
The only fitting which degrades in my book are the Plastic Stop cocks, easy to fit, reasonable cost, but over time ( years ) they do degrade which makes it often hard to turn on or off., So I am in the process of changing them to either the metal wheel type or lever type of stop cock , which respond better to WD 40 to ease the movement .

As for pipe laying, watched the local contractor lay the TOWN water supply past my house, no glue involved and I have two patches of the grass out side greener than other bits, which would indicate water being around I am sure. As they never pressure test the pipe to my knowledge, it is a by guess or by golly when they lay these pipes. Also NO official from PWA or anyone else for that matter came to inspect and it took some coercion for them to lay concrete over my driveway entrance which they happily dug up to lay the pipe and told me to relay it again at my cost. They relaid it, eventually at NO COST to myself !!

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 29, 2021, 5:13 pm

Just hope that you are on the right side of the water meter, when the pipe leaks

pipoz4444

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 30, 2021, 6:49 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
March 29, 2021, 5:13 pm
Just hope that you are on the right side of the water meter, when the pipe leaks

pipoz4444
Do not have Town water but local village water laid by elderly experts, not johnny come lightly chaps

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 30, 2021, 7:11 am

^ The suggestion that Thailand has time-served artisans and trade professionals is truly heartwarming.

It also gave me a bloody good laugh.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 30, 2021, 7:42 am

Usually in the case of broken water pipes, the PWA will post an announcement showing the expected hours of outage. In the case of the ringroad/SamPrao water main that's under repair, the website pretty much says, 'bear with us' as they repair the main.
Attachments
164472055_844619006126176_1716916831250931927_o.jpg

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 30, 2021, 7:56 am

parrot wrote:
March 30, 2021, 7:42 am
Usually in the case of broken water pipes, the PWA will post an announcement showing the expected hours of outage. In the case of the ringroad/SamPrao water main that's under repair, the website pretty much says, 'bear with us' as they repair the main.
Looks like they maybe filled it in before fully pressure-testing the repair?

Professionals!

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 30, 2021, 9:03 am

^ I think the term is Elderly Experts
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 30, 2021, 11:07 am

parrot wrote:
March 30, 2021, 7:42 am
That's a sizable main and probably a Ductile Iron pipe system. Hard to tell from the photos

If so possibly the weld failed or pipe rusted ?

pipoz4444

Return to “Udon Thani News”