Fears for Kumphawapi stream after copper ore spill

Udon Thani news, views and comments
tamada
udonmap.com

Fears for Kumphawapi stream after copper ore spill

Post by tamada » August 8, 2017, 12:21 pm

Another driver falling asleep at the wheel. A 500 baht fine and don't do it again.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30323126

A lorry carrying copper ore accidentally drove into a stream in Udon Thani, causing copper ore to disperse into the water and sparking concern among locals about heavy metal contamination.

The kamnan of Tambon Phasuk in Udon Thani’s Kumphawapi district, Niyom Chatukane, said the accident happened late on Saturday night. The driver fell asleep behind the wheel and drove the lorry into Huai Sampad stream, spilling 28 tonnes of copper ore into the water.

Niyom said took several hours to get the lorry back on dry land, and copper ore still lay on the stream bed. He said the mining company had started to retrieve copper ore from the water on Sunday and Monday, but a lot of the ore remained in the stream.

He said his inspection had shown that the water quality had changed and turbidity had increase. “The water also smells like gunpowder, so I have ordered people to avoid using the water and catching any fish from the stream until further notice,” he said.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: Fears for Kumphawapi stream after copper ore spill

Post by FrazeeDK » August 9, 2017, 8:53 am

geez, Huay Samphat goes right through the kin folks land.. They usually pull lots of fish out of that creek...
Dave

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 28, 2017, 8:59 am

The local authorities recently announced a fishing ban, about 3 weeks AFTER the accident.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/no-fis ... ted-water/

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 29, 2017, 6:53 am

kin folk in Ban Na Di/Ban Srang Bong knew nothing of it and danged if I could see any tracks off the road where the stream goes underneath the highway... If one of those large mineral trucks flipped off the road you'd think they'd be a huge torn up area...
Dave

Soonsoon
udonmap.com

Post by Soonsoon » August 29, 2017, 7:15 am

If this is Copper concentrate, Black powder like substance it will also contain arsenic and lead and other very nasty minerals. Anyone who draws water from the stream or eats fish etc can expect at the least to become quite ill.
Unlikely it is "copper ore" and very likely it's concentrate going from Loas to port in southern Thailand.So it has been treated with some very nasty reagents.

Sorry just read above link which confirms the above.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 31, 2017, 11:43 am

FrazeeDK wrote:
August 29, 2017, 6:53 am
kin folk in Ban Na Di/Ban Srang Bong knew nothing of it and danged if I could see any tracks off the road where the stream goes underneath the highway... If one of those large mineral trucks flipped off the road you'd think they'd be a huge torn up area...
Almost a month ago. Rainy season. Grass and shrubs grow back real quick.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 1, 2017, 11:08 am

it was actually about 700 meters further south on Rte 2 from the actual Huay Sampat stream crosses underneath the highway. The truck flipped into another stream that feeds into Huay Sampat. There's a large foodstand there that people stop at so perhaps the truck had stopped for food then managed to get its wheels off the macadam into the mud causing it to tip over.
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 1, 2017, 5:15 pm

The good news is the city seems to recognize the danger to the community involved with this spill. The transportation company involved has said it will take measures to clean up the affected area. As with all environmental accidents, corrective action will probably be slow.
https://www.matichon.co.th/news/648868
(poop sucker trucks have been doing some cleanup work already)

Soonsoon
udonmap.com

Post by Soonsoon » September 2, 2017, 9:12 am

parrot wrote:
September 1, 2017, 5:15 pm
The good news is the city seems to recognize the danger to the community involved with this spill. The transportation company involved has said it will take measures to clean up the affected area. As with all environmental accidents, corrective action will probably be slow.
I am pretty sure it's an Australian mining company (PanAust) that owns the concentrate and the fleet of trucks that haul it, So yes I believe they will be responsible and do the right thing and clean it up.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 2, 2017, 12:45 pm

Soonsoon wrote:
September 2, 2017, 9:12 am
parrot wrote:
September 1, 2017, 5:15 pm
I am pretty sure it's an Australian mining company (PanAust) that owns the concentrate and the fleet of trucks that haul it, So yes I believe they will be responsible and do the right thing and clean it up.
Sold out to the Chinese a few years ago from memory

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 2, 2017, 2:00 pm

Representatives of Linfox Transport company have stated the accident was the responsibility of their company.
I've seen hundreds of big trucks over the last few years......with a rear sticker that says "You're passing another fox". I'm now guessing they're part of the Australian-owned Linfox Company. Their trucks are full length trailers, but the trailer is about 2/3 the height of a normal trailer....and the trailer looks to be heavy duty metal instead of the lighter sheet metal you see on normal trailer trucks. So, now I'll be left wondering what's inside all those Linfox trucks!!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 2, 2017, 2:21 pm

Linfox have the contract for Tesco Lotus

Vehicles have journey management, vehicle tracking , refrigeration graphs for chilled / frozen products etc

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 2, 2017, 3:21 pm

This from 2014
Phu Bia Mining selects Linfox as the transporter of copper ore.
"
Melbourne, Australia - (BUSINESS WIRE) - Aug 28, 2557
Linfox.He has been awarded a contract to transport the copper ore to produce copper and gold Phu Bia Mining, the leading East Asia. Southeast
Peter Fox, chairman of Linfox said joining the Phu Bia Mining Company in Laos. Which is a wholly owned subsidiary of PanAust Ltd, Australia's leading copper and gold producer. This
agreement will create more than 220 new jobs in Linfox and will increase the number of mineral trucks to 40. In addition, we will be shipping freight to the mines on routes. Returned from the port of departure, too. To ensure that the car is being used effectively.
Linfox's main operating base is in the province of Guilin. Vietnam And Sriracha, Thailand, to relocate the copper ore from Phu Bia Mining to ports. To deliver to the smelter in Asia?
The cargo will come from the Phu Khia Copper-Gold Operation project of Phu Bia Mining, located about 140 kilometers from Vientiane, Laos,
said Peter Fox, "Transportation will be supported by a large investment. In a modern transport vehicle With a well-trained driver Like the support team. And management?
Linfox's attention to safety, training, and experience and expertise in providing services to the operation of the mine. Is this the key factor for us getting this job?
This new work demonstrates Linfox's natural expansion by using our expertise in mining industry support. As well as our stable operation. And long-standing knowledge in Vietnam and Thailand?
Linfox

Soonsoon
udonmap.com

Post by Soonsoon » September 3, 2017, 8:28 am

Thanks for the update Parrot, i was never aware that the haulage went out to Linfox.
I wonder are PanAust regretting the decision now?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 3, 2017, 9:28 am

If 1 spill of this causes a heavy metal contamination issue.

WTF is happening at their loading yard on the Thai side. Ring road off the Friendship Bridge that links onto Highway 2. On the left side.

Ground Zero ?

Soonsoon
udonmap.com

Post by Soonsoon » September 3, 2017, 10:28 am

wazza wrote:
September 3, 2017, 9:28 am
If 1 spill of this causes a heavy metal contamination issue.

WTF is happening at their loading yard on the Thai side. Ring road off the Friendship Bridge that links onto Highway 2. On the left side.

Ground Zero ?
It wouldn't be unloaded from the half heights that it travels in Wazza, they would be loaded at the mine site, taken off on the Thai side and reloaded onto "Linehaul trucks".
I have just finished managing the same logistics exercise for a company here in Qld and instead of half height containers we used General Purpose containers on triple roadtrains. Second load... back trailer on the triple flips over, all contained, crane lifts it back on, no spill. They are using half height containers as they are loading it in bulk at the port end . My view... Should be in General purpose containers not half heights.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 3, 2017, 10:49 am

Ahh right o

cheers, good to clarify this one for the uninitiated

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 3, 2017, 1:39 pm

Reassuring to know that potentially hazardous materials are being hauled by a reputable haulier. The Linfox trucks I have encountered have never been rear-bumper riders, high-speed overtakers or undertakers (pardon the pun) and it seems that nationwide, their depots appear to have at least one decent, working pressure washer that is used often. The DHL trucks that haul for Big C look similarly clean and controlled. Pity about Somchai & Dek's fleet of sip-lors though. The scariest ones are the overloaded, rusted-out low-loaders carrying all sorts of heavy plant without a chain or turnbuckle in sight. I know as lot of people think Thailand sucks but evidenced by the loading practices just mentioned, I guess gravity is just so much stronger here.

Return to “Udon Thani News”