SW Ring Road

Udon Thani news, views and comments
parrot
udonmap.com

SW Ring Road

Post by parrot » September 24, 2016, 8:26 pm

Yesterday I was going to post a note about the extreme disrepair of the southwest portion of the ring road, going from Kilo 5 near the airport to the KK Hwy intersection....but couldn't remember if corruption had one r or two. But there are a few posts on a Thai Udonnews facebook page that talk about the hazards there, especially if you're on a motorcycle. I'd add that that portion of the road would be extremely hazardous at night as there were very large holes in the road that might not easy to see at night. A good road....to avoid!
https://www.facebook.com/%E0%B8%82%E0%B ... 144210623/

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: SW Ring Road

Post by BobHelm » September 24, 2016, 8:37 pm

If it is the strech that I am thinking of (I am not a Facebooker!!!) then I was told (I have not been out that way for a while) that they are effecting repairs at the moment parrot &, I gather, not a moment too soon.
I think that there was either a major misjudgment in how roads react to Thai temperatures or a major cost cutting exercise on the materials used when the road was created - not too long ago.

I was impressed with how they seemed to be creating it but I guess that just shows why I never ventured into a career in civil engineering.. :D

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 24, 2016, 9:37 pm

Was on it today returning from Dan Sai. Man, oh man. Horrible. Especially from Hwy 210 northbound to the Hwy 2 intersection.

As BH pointed out, it was a beautiful stretch of highway when completed; but it fell apart rather quickly.

If you're on a motorcycle, hug the inside shoulder. That seems to have the fewest surprises, and don't even think about it at night. Even more horrible.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Allen A Hale
udonmap.com

Post by Allen A Hale » September 24, 2016, 10:10 pm

Two problems with the new road - Improper Design - did not have provisions to dewater and handle water in natural wet areas. Backfilling water does not eliminate the problem. Improper construction - Compacting 1 meter thick layers of non-structural fill does not provide a proper road base. No surprises that the road fails every year and will continue to fail.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 24, 2016, 10:32 pm

They laid bitumen straight over potholes full of mud or water

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » September 24, 2016, 10:44 pm

I watched it being built as few times along the way.

They failed to properly dewater some on the old swamp pond areas (those about 2 - 2.5 meters down) and didn't even let them dry out. They also failed to dig out saturated ---- in the bottom of the these pond. The pond were still wet when they pushed a meter of suspect fill over the top of them and tried to compact it in one layer. Basically they built over non compacted material, laying Asphalt on a material that would settle.

Plus what they brought in as fill material, in some areas was very close to garden loam. Twice I stopped, when a truck was dumping/tipping, walked over picked up a handful of the fill material and once ask one of the Thai driver "how could I get some of this delivered to my place for the garden". His response "see Boss".

I also asked where he got it from (as I needed about 10 loads) and he said "near Khon Kaen". Bottom line was it (the loamy material) and other loads of lumpy clay material, was not suitable for a road sub base material, let alone for a road base material and never had any chance of achieving 95% & 98% Dry Density, respectively.

End result the Asphalt layer was doomed to fail and the road surface is a F..kn disgrace

pipoz444

That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 25, 2016, 6:37 am

End result the Asphalt layer was doomed to fail and the road surface is a F..kn disgrace

Hit the nail on the head

Return to “Udon Thani News”