Nongkai Highway Speed Check

Udon Thani news, views and comments
kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » February 27, 2016, 3:17 pm

What this country needs first is proper driver/rider training, without this things will never improve. at the moment there is no training what so ever, so you cannot blame them they just follow the example of their countrymen.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 27, 2016, 4:01 pm

Yes noted the speed check was done on a Saturday try Monday morning when the school buses start 06730 onwards, THAT WOULD A FAR DIFFERENT STORY. Also went to look at the Speed gantry it is only on the inward bound carriageway, so when you see the build-up of buildings slow down. Going to nong Khai no problem any speed will do, today at 1423 exactly while plodding along at 92, I was passed by one of those Mini buses Udon to Nong Khai, as if I was standing still. .

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 27, 2016, 4:34 pm

Khun Paul,Said......today at 1423 exactly while plodding along at 92, I was passed by one of those Mini buses Udon to Nong Khai, as if I was standing still. .... That's Nothing on my way home from Jomtien I Was eager to get home after 9 Hours in the saddle,25 kms from Nongers I Was doing 120 & One of those BLASTED Things TORE Past me, He Must have been doing AT LEAST 140......Coz He Left me in his dust cloud..... :shock: :shock:

faranginUTH
udonmap.com

Post by faranginUTH » February 27, 2016, 10:31 pm

is this laser or radar based cameras?

Pooclover
udonmap.com
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack-bar sucking sickly sausage rolls

Post by Pooclover » February 28, 2016, 6:14 am

I once clocked 300 km on a stretch of the Nong Khai road... I can see many people trying to see how high they can make the sign read...Maybe get a friend to stand underneath and take a photo....

hairyharry
udonmap.com

Post by hairyharry » February 28, 2016, 8:47 am

At least these cameras provide another outlet for used tyres.

ianrodders
udonmap.com

Post by ianrodders » May 1, 2016, 9:11 am

parrot wrote:There's a new speed check area between kilo 485-494 on the Udon-Nongkai Hwy, in the vicinity of Naka. Speeds will be displayed overhead....and cameras will record those violating the speed limit.....90kph for private vehicles, 80 for transportation vehicles, and 60kph for trailers. The area is undergoing tests, but speeds will be enforced once completed.
https://www.facebook.com/Home-News-172001899544472/
got me two days ago doing 90kmh 200 baht fine [-X

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » May 1, 2016, 9:14 am

ianrodders wrote:
parrot wrote:There's a new speed check area between kilo 485-494 on the Udon-Nongkai Hwy, in the vicinity of Naka. Speeds will be displayed overhead....and cameras will record those violating the speed limit.....90kph for private vehicles, 80 for transportation vehicles, and 60kph for trailers. The area is undergoing tests, but speeds will be enforced once completed.
i thought 90 kph was o.k for a private vehicle , why the fine ???

faranginUTH
udonmap.com

Post by faranginUTH » May 1, 2016, 9:24 am

I went through it doing 100 kmh, nothing sent
if they sent me a fine I would contest it if the fine was expensive, because its a main highway coming from another ASEAN country and there is only 1 place on the nong khai highway that has posted speed limit signs....the railroad tracks

in Laos, there are speed limit signs very frequently on the main road

ianrodders
udonmap.com

Post by ianrodders » May 2, 2016, 10:42 am

timmy wrote:
ianrodders wrote:
i thought 90 kph was o.k for a private vehicle , why the fine ???
no idea he said 80kph was the limit i had my wife in the car and she said just pay the fine so i assumed 200 baht was ok ?!!

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » May 2, 2016, 12:51 pm

On NK rd, even though 90 is the standard accepted limit, they will have 80 posted. Wee bit of a scam if you ask me. Gets worse at some locations, as they post 60 on 6 lane hwy built for 90+. [-X

Beer money for the weekend I guess.

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » May 2, 2016, 2:15 pm

12345 wrote:On NK rd, even though 90 is the standard accepted limit, they will have 80 posted. Wee bit of a scam if you ask me. Gets worse at some locations, as they post 60 on 6 lane hwy built for 90+. [-X

Beer money for the weekend I guess.
They have some other limits also:

Open road on highways, as they say, 90 km/h. Open road excludes crossings, urban areas, areas with traffic lights etc. Anything that can slow progress on road.
Urban highways 80 km/h. Still same highway.
City limit sign, 60 km/h. And againg, still the very same highway.

So, if the highway limit is 90 km/h, one must slow down to 80 km/h before crossing. Same if there is a sign telling Village name and below is text "City limit" -then 60 km/h. Driving through a village, between name signs there is always 80 km/h limit on highway and that can be reduced to city limit with city limit sign.

My guess is that ticket was given near crossing or in urban area.

I believe that Bangkok and Pattaya are only places, where they have those big signs telling 80 km/h highway speed limits. Other areas people must trust their luck, who ever knows every limit or follows those?

BTW. They removed those 90 km/h signs few years ago, because thoise were confusing. We have common speed limits based on vehicle types here. Like 60 km/h for trailers. Then we have a number sign, like 50 telling that every vehicle have a limit of 50 km/h. It also meant that 90 sign told trailers to be able to drive 90 km/h. That is the problem having number signs. No space to put all exclusions to same pole.

I would not call this a scam. I would call it as a reminder of different speed limits in different areas. 90 km/h is a standard accepted limit ONLY WHEN AT LEAST TWO LANES PER DIRECTION, NO CROSSING OR VILLAGES AROUND. Rural road in the middle of nothing has 80 km/h limit, if only one line per direction.

For many of us it is difficult to know these, because we just change our driving license to Thai license. Same with Thais, if they buy their license.

Anyway it should not be difficult to remember. In Europe a pedestrial crossing makes always 60 km/h limit. Equals to urban area. All highway crossings are limited to 80 km/h. Difference would be that many urban ares are limited to 70 km/h or 60 km/h in Europe. Here that limit is still 80 km/h, even some European countries have demanded Thailand to change limit lower. I believe that after few years Thailand and Na Kha must change limit to 70 km/h.

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » May 2, 2016, 3:23 pm

It's actually signed, flashing, for 80, as I passed there the other day. BIB was out.

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » May 2, 2016, 5:04 pm

12345 wrote:It's actually signed, flashing, for 80, as I passed there the other day. BIB was out.
Limit is 0 km/h and flashing should mean that you overspeed. Same as almost every country. If you drive 80 km/h or less, you do not see flashing light. If 81 km/h, you see 80 flashing. At least so it is in many place also in Thailand.

It is confusing, because that highway is "mostly" 90 km/h road, but then there are many villages and crossings. Na Kha is 80 km/h, but in Europe it would be 60 km/h max. Quite bad crossing and then silk village with stopping and speeding vehicles. 80 km/h is not understable limit there -too high, if compared to Europe. Of course nothing happened last time...

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » May 2, 2016, 6:57 pm

I meant the speed limit sign, posted, is a flashing light, with 80 illuminated. Really hard to miss. Same type on the elevated hwy in Krung Thep.

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » May 14, 2016, 12:56 pm

12345 wrote:I meant the speed limit sign, posted, is a flashing light, with 80 illuminated. Really hard to miss. Same type on the elevated hwy in Krung Thep.
Now they have system running. At 492 km there is 1st camera and second one at 470 km. Distance is 21,385 km and there is a standard time to drive that with maximum speed. If drive faster, there must be overspeed somewhere between check points.

They have a big sign showing speed limits per vehicle type. Also 5 signs (in Thai) telling that speed is controlled there.

Ticket will be sent based on time spent between those two points, not based on speed under the signs and cameras.

Return to “Udon Thani News”