Udon Thani news, views and comments
parrot
udonmap.com

Flooding in Udon Thani today

Post by parrot » January 5, 2015, 7:45 pm

pomps wrote:Maybe get some rain Thursday :-k
http://www.wunderground.com/weather-for ... Thani.html

Wonder how the Huai Luang reservoir is doing,percentage wise :-k
Judging from the info at http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_bigcm.php and http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/ph ... ?dam_id=13
the reservoir is at 43% of capacity as of 5 Jan 2015.

According to the graph (second link), the reservoir was at 36% capacity in Jan 2013....and dropped to 16% by June....before rising again.

If all those numbers are correct (and that assumes I'm reading them correct!), then we're a bit better off than 2013......but every time I go into Udon, I see more car washes, more nurseries, more sub-divisions, etc. Seems to me the city would be using substantially more water as the years go by.

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » January 5, 2015, 8:33 pm

Thanks for the info Parrot,more water reserves than the previous year :-k Maybe less Government water to farmers,only allowing water from midnight to 4am,no chance of allowing a second rice harvest may help preserve what water there is in the province 8)
When a business start up needs plentiful supply of water ie car care places,do they pay a business water rate to compensate for the excess amount used :-k

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » February 6, 2015, 8:51 am

No mention of Udon Thani province :-k nong bua lumphu and nong khai mentioned though :-k
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... ught-alert

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » February 6, 2015, 9:37 am

soon the rice prise will go up - harvest 3 millions tons less in the off season

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 6, 2015, 10:59 am

Yes I concur Udon Thani is using more water than previously, BUT with the water infrastructure updated over the past couple of years and the ability to pump more into the reservoirs and less loss due to bad pipes etc, I do feel that they are better prepared than other towns.

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » February 6, 2015, 11:05 am

wiking wrote:soon the rice prise will go up - harvest 3 millions tons less in the off season
Going slightly off topic but.
I live in rural Udon and like all villages we are surrounded by endless rice fields.
I reckon the drop in fields being used to harvest rice compared to 7 years ago could be as much as 40%.
The fashion at the moment is to sell the soil for building plots. A nice payment but once it's gone the land is useless other than becoming another fish farm.
The next generation aren't interested in becoming rice farmers.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Flooding in Udon Thani today

Post by parrot » January 3, 2017, 8:38 pm

I came across this website today while messing around with my smartphone and google earth. It may be of interest to anyone considering purchasing a piece of land........or not. You can also determine elevation of various locations using google earth.....but the elevation map gives a pretty good overall picture of where puddles are going to occur in the event of major rain events.

http://www.floodmap.net/elevation/Eleva ... gi=1605239

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 4, 2017, 3:25 pm

Apart from a good wee downpour on New Years Eve there has been absolutely no rain since end of October. ( 50 klicks east of UT City ) Nothing happening in the fields since the rice harvest at the end Nov/Start of December so probably no income for the farmers until late next year. Things are not looking good for the Issan farmers just now.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 4, 2017, 4:24 pm

"Things are not looking good for the Issan farmers just now."

Actually, the lack of rain this time of the year is ops normal for Udon. Any farmers who are producing anything now most likely have a pond or a well.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 4, 2017, 4:37 pm

I know what you are saying Parrot but if you look at seasonal averages there should have been around 50mm + of rain since October. Nothing like that here.

Return to “Udon Thani News”