Flood warnings for 43 provinces

Udon Thani news, views and comments
admin
Admin

Post by admin » September 14, 2005, 10:10 am

The Interior Ministry yesterday warned people in 43 provinces across the country to brace for heavy rain and possible flash floods until Thursday. In a statement, the ministry's Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department said a depression storm coming in from the South China Sea would bring heavy rain that could trigger flash floods and landslides in those provinces.

The 43 provinces are Sa Kaeo, Prachin Buri, Nakhon Nayok, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat, Nakhon Ratchasima, Surin, Buri Ram, Si Sa Ket, Yasothon, Ubon Ratchathani, Amnat Charoen, Roi Et, Kalasin, Maha Sarakham, Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom, Sakon Nakhon, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Chaiyaphum, Loei, Phetchabun, Uttaradit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Nan, Sukhothai, Phichit, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Kamphaeng Phet, Tak, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lampang, Lamphun, Phayao and Mae Hong Son. The warning of possible fresh floods was greeted with dismay in several northern provinces already inundated following heavy rainfall over the weekend.

In Chiang Mai, both officials and residents were keeping their fingers crossed as the Ping river continued to rise yesterday. As of yesterday afternoon, the Ping's water level was 3.63 metres high, which was worryingly close to the critical level of 3.7m.

Thada Sukhapunpan, director of hydrology and water management in the upper North, said riverside communities would be spared from flooding if the Ping's level remained below 4.20m. However, he added that rain volumes in the province's Chiang Dao and Mae Taeng districts would also constitute a major factor. Four districts of Chiang Mai _ Doi Saket, Mae Taeng, San Kamphaeng and San Sai _ were already hit by floods caused by heavy downpours. About 1,700 people were affected but there were no reports of human deaths or injuries.

In Lampang province, people living downstream of the Wang river were bracing themselves for possible flooding caused by run-offs from a number of small tributaries. The areas at risk included Koh Kha, Sop Prap and Thoen districts.

The weekend's downpours had already caused flooding in Lampang's Mae Tha, Mae Mo and Muang districts.

Admin

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 14, 2005, 10:21 am

I guess i wil start going down to the riverbank again to check on the Mekong levels.We did get as low as the sixth step down and some of the veggy patches were reappearing.

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » September 15, 2005, 5:54 pm

Is there such a thing a a flood lever datum in Udon, How often does udon get flooded.

Kally
Master Builder

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 16, 2005, 10:48 am

Udon has a huge flood drain now so it would have to be one hell of a storm.

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » September 16, 2005, 2:50 pm

If I intend to build in udon, I liked to know what the water level of the building site is, build slab on ground or build on stumps.
I suppose I could ask the neighbours, as the most reliable source.

Kally
Master Builder

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 17, 2005, 10:58 am

Go to the local village,find the oldest bod you can and ask to what level the waters rose in the worst flood.

Return to “Udon Thani News”