Udon Thani news, views and comments
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Overpass/tunnel Udon Ringroad Nongkai Hwy

Post by stattointhailand » August 30, 2017, 2:20 pm

wazza wrote:
August 30, 2017, 8:57 am
Yeah guys sorry...army . airforce...
Same Same ..... lots of medals and a boss man with a big enough handicap to win the competition :roll:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 23, 2017, 12:57 pm

I went through the intersection from all four directions yesterday......around noonish.....no backed up traffic in any of the directions and everything as orderly as you'd expect at a major construction area. I'm not sure who has the contract for the project but I noticed some big names that make one hope they'll do a bang up job. Finally, I did not see anyone bending old coat hangers for rebar.......that's a good sign.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 23, 2017, 1:42 pm

parrot wrote:
September 23, 2017, 12:57 pm
I went through the intersection from all four directions yesterday......around noonish.....no backed up traffic in any of the directions and everything as orderly as you'd expect at a major construction area. I'm not sure who has the contract for the project but I noticed some big names that make one hope they'll do a bang up job. Finally, I did not see anyone bending old coat hangers for rebar.......that's a good sign.

I managed to get through without hold up last Sunday =D> (at about 05 :15 in the morning :-& ) ......... the other 7 or 8 times a day, every day, its taken 10 - 15 minutes extra per journey.
Had a big tail back on Thurs, all lanes at standstill back towards NK beyond the first u turn. so thought I'd be clever and take u turn and then to Hospital via Nong Samrong road ....... ended up waiting nearly 10 mins to get round the u turn due to constant Northbound traffic and hesitant drivers :roll:

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » September 23, 2017, 1:48 pm

parrot wrote:
Lets hope the quality will be a notch better that the Sakhon Highway overpass outside Big C :lol:
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » September 23, 2017, 1:57 pm

Alchai wrote:
September 23, 2017, 1:48 pm
parrot wrote:
Lets hope the quality will be a notch better that the Sakhon Highway overpass outside Big C :lol:
or nongsam rong :(

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 23, 2017, 3:22 pm

TAXIfor7/11 wrote:
September 23, 2017, 1:57 pm
Alchai wrote:
September 23, 2017, 1:48 pm
parrot wrote:
or nongsam rong :(
B*gger ..... no wonder it took me so long to get to the hospital via Nong Samrong .......... I missed the overpass and went all the way at ground level :lol:

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 25, 2017, 1:40 pm

Big holdup last night, particularly between the Sakhon Nakhon turnoff and the Tesco junction. I'd been to football at Kumphawapi, but came home via Udon, rather than (from Phen) via Nong Han, my outward journey. Big mistake. I see elsewhere there were civil service exams in town, so perhaps this didn't help? Noticed three accidents too. It seemed most traffic was Nong Khai direction bound, so the fast( not last night it wasn't!) was very fully loaded. Sod's law had it that on actually reaching the Tesco junction, the building works area had been widened and cars were filtered left into other lanes anyway! I don't know how long we crept along, but quite a while. My bladder said so. :lol:

panmotor
udonmap.com

Post by panmotor » September 25, 2017, 8:32 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
September 25, 2017, 1:40 pm
I'd been to football at Kumphawapi,
Just out of interest, who was playing.

I often stop and watch the games on the pitch opposite our shop (next to the monkey park) but never have a clue which teams they are!!

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 26, 2017, 8:41 am

I suppose the easiest answer is to avoid the project during peak traffic hours. There are ways to g on your way with out going through the construction. I'm hoping it takes less time the Big C. But, a lot that might be to allow the cement to cure.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 26, 2017, 9:52 am

parrot wrote:
About 10 days ago, I was waiting for the lights to change and saw a farang foreman supervising the placement of some heavy plant. He had a white hard hat that matched his beard as well as a decent beer belly. Maybe one of ItalThai's consultants? He wan't a spring chicken and reminded me of this character from Michael J Baird's Pattaya cartoons.
480x351bb.jpg

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 26, 2017, 2:13 pm

panmotor wrote:
September 25, 2017, 8:32 pm
Brian Davis wrote:
September 25, 2017, 1:40 pm
I'd been to football at Kumphawapi,
Just out of interest, who was playing.
This was Udon's under 19 team, against Loei - a 2-0 win for Udon. My first effort at going (there won't be a second, at least not via Udon!). It appears the regular venue is at the Phan Don Wittaya School and on Sunday's, k.o. 1600 hrs. But best to check on Svein's www.facebook/EnglishUDFC page, as he has started to show fixtures, tables etc. Don't think it's a great venue, 'cause it's not - but a reasonable quality school pitch as they go out here and you grab a plastic chair under one of the tents provided. But it's an organised, national? league, proper officials etc. and you're certainly close to the action! Decent standard, I felt and fit, strong players.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » September 26, 2017, 4:41 pm

May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 26, 2017, 5:18 pm

Seems like someone has had the thought to re time the traffic lights. Each flow was about twice as long as normal this evening which should help to get more traffic through the lights. On the downside it will also temp Mr Redlightjumper to take even more risks to avoid having to wait about 5 mins plus for his next green [-X

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 26, 2017, 5:20 pm

Nigglyb wrote:
September 26, 2017, 4:41 pm
It should be https://www.facebook.com/EnglishUDFC/ ;)
Thanks for correcting my error and sorry for drifting off topic. But I still have to add that I continue to be surprised with the great interest in football generally and evident in topics elsewhere in the forum, that so relatively few bother to take an interest in their local Thai team. Sorry mods!

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » September 26, 2017, 5:26 pm

You nailed that statt's the red light jumpers are getting worse on a daily basis and are just creating more congestion try and tell them that 555 TIT, up to me?

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 29, 2017, 3:41 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
August 29, 2017, 9:20 am
Tomorrow, I think I'll turn left onto the ring road and catch the first u-turn to bring me back to the junction for another left. Maybe that will avoid the jumping/merging which causes much of the hassle. I gained the impression there was a lot less traffic coming around from Global House way, but we'll see.
Well, the best laid plans.... a petrol tanker cut into the side of my car today approaching the junction. I'll spare everybody the long version, but fortunately the tanker's driver admitted responsibility, his insurance will pay for my repairs which, if there was any luck going,the damage is fairly minimal. Police and an insurance rep attended quite quickly, perhaps only too aware having two blocked lanes at 0730 hours (until the ok for the vehicles to be moved was given) wasn't helpful! :roll:

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 30, 2017, 11:20 am

The time we saw a delay was around 0900

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 30, 2017, 6:19 pm

Looks like the 'me first' attitude is getting the better of most of the locals and they are going up the hard-shoulder lane and then trying to cut right into the straight-ahead and right-turn traffic lines. This means that the simple and quick run up the hard-shoulder to turn left is a thing of the past as everything is now stuck when there's a red light.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 30, 2017, 7:03 pm

To some degree, yes. There's a lot who have no intention of turning left. I have to accept there are some who have come from the small side sois, whether they live there, or have cut through from elsewhere, I don't know. They, of course, have no option but to join the immediate hard shoulder and perhaps then want to go straight or right. But my real gripe is with those who've come from further up the main road, but don't want to join the queue.

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » September 30, 2017, 8:56 pm

Coming in from Nong Khai direction which I have to the inside lane is closed and well signed that it goes down to two lanes Thais do not observe till the last minute some put there indicator to merge then barge in most don't they just push in because they own the road "up to me" attitude at it's best.

Return to “Udon Thani News”