Overpass/tunnel Udon Ringroad Nongkai Hwy

Udon Thani news, views and comments
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 7, 2012, 9:29 pm

In September 2012, the Highway Department approved an 8 million Baht contract to study the Ring Road/Nongkai Hwy intersection for ways to improve traffic. The study is to last one year. Three possible solutions are:
1. construct a tunnel
2. an overpass
3. a combination bridge/tunnel

Also under discussion are plans for a second ring road through SumSao (สุมเส้า) in Amphur Phen to Nonghan to Kumphawaphi and connecting to Highway 2 (Op note: this would be an outer eastern ring road, I'd suppose to route through traffic from China/Laos/Nongkai around the city)

Also discussed were improvements to the existing ring road from the Ban Chan intersection to the (old) Big C intersection to the Udon/Nongkai intersection by adding an additional lane.

No time lines were reported in the article for either othe outer ring road or improvements to the existing ring road........but don't be surprised if you see something happening in those areas sometime in the near future.
http://udonechamber.com/home/journal-ch ... -3627.html

As I see it, the city is gearing up for more traffic resulting from increased cross-border trade. It may be wise to keep some of these changes in mind if you're planning on buying/building in/around the city.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 7, 2012, 9:48 pm

another lane from the Big C overpass to the NongKhai (2) intersection would help. Additionally, some traffic management analysis should be done and traffic lights modified/adjusted to give the through lane more time than the crossover traffic which is less. The SamPrao and Nong Sai lights only give 60 seconds for the traffic to move on the main throughway.. At least 2 minutes should be allowed.. That and the addition of a 3rd lane should improve traffc flow immensely.. Hopefully the outer ring road addition will divert all non-Udon traffic heading north of coming south...
Dave

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 8, 2012, 6:06 am

You are presumably assuming that Thai s understand traffic flows, drivers and the causes of accidents. They are attempting to improve a system that IF the drivers obeyed all the current traffic rules would NOT be needed. So a survey on bad driving will yeield yet more problems as they will legislate to make it better rather then enforcement of current laws.

mykthemin
udonmap.com

Post by mykthemin » November 8, 2012, 7:13 am

Another lane would be a complete waste of time, as most Thai's never drive in it and will just drive in the middle and offside lane, as they do on the new section going towards Non Bua Lam Plu, they need to make the traffic lights adjust to the traffic demand as required with detectors and a modern controller, but this is Thailand and it will take years!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 8, 2012, 8:37 am

"Another lane would be a complete waste of time"

Surprise to me......I live just off the Nongbualamphu Hwy.....the added lane has made all the difference in the world....especially during sugar cane season.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 18, 2012, 7:23 pm

The city held a public meeting today to discuss design plans for either a tunnel or a bridge over the Udon-Nongkai Hwy and the Ring Road intersection.
I'll see if I can uncover what was discussed at the meeting and post it here in the next few days. Bridge or tunnel, that area of town will likely be a traffic nightmare when construction takes place.
Attachments
IMG_1931.JPG

PRichard
udonmap.com

Post by PRichard » December 18, 2012, 9:08 pm

I am proposing a simple solution using The Magic Roundabout concept in UK. I'm sure Thai drivers would handle it with ease (he-he-he). If implemented, I would probably never again find my way to the Tesco Lotus. And I would also see a Thai driver wanting to go to Nong Khai will probably circling the roundabout for 4 days and most likely will end up in Khon Kaen! :D
magic_roundabout1.jpg
magic.jpg
magic_roundabout-1.jpg
The Magic Roundabout in Swindon, England was constructed in 1972 and consists of five mini-roundabouts arranged in a circle. In 2009 it was voted the fourth scariest junction in Britain, in a poll by Britannia Rescue. Many drivers, as well as learner drivers have problems dealing with the Magic Roundabout.

Reference: http://www.inautonews.com/10-busiest-ju ... -the-world

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Post by gudtymchuk » December 18, 2012, 9:19 pm

The magic roundabout........ Probably a good reason for Brits not to have guns 8)
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 18, 2012, 9:27 pm

gudtymchuk wrote:The magic roundabout........ Probably a good reason for Brits not to have guns 8)
You have a point there, gmc.

To the average outsider, that roundabout would compare favourably with US gun laws on the stupidity scale. =D>

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » December 18, 2012, 9:47 pm

gudtymchuk wrote:The magic roundabout........ Probably a good reason for Brits not to have guns 8)
Heheheheh...good one. :) :-"

KB (who hates ALL roundabouts!)

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 19, 2012, 6:46 am

Any chance the Magic Roundabout and Thailands U turn mentality was generated out of the same luny bin! :confused:
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 19, 2012, 8:54 am

On my first trip to the UK, I drove from Heathrow to Mildenhall in a rental car. I don't remember where I encountered my first roundabout, but I do remember driving around it 3 or 4 times before I could figure out which 'exit' to take, then another 2 or 3 times before I could figure out how to work my way towards that exit.

I love the roundabouts in Udon (really!). About the only time traffic gets gummed up is when the police are in the circle trying to direct traffic.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 19, 2012, 9:15 am

hmm.. then why not put in a large round-about at Rte 2 / Ring Road north (Nong Khai side) and Rte 2 /Ring Road South (KK side).. Both areas would appear to have adequate land space to do it and I'd say it would be a lot quicker and cheaper than building an overpass or tunnel... Gets rid of two major stoplight intersections and keeps traffic flowing...
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 20, 2012, 7:26 pm

The link below has pictures of the different options presented at the public gathering a few days ago
http://www.manager.co.th/Local/ViewNews ... 0000153406

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » December 21, 2012, 9:33 am

A bypass Nong Khai to Kumpawhatever would be a great idea. Anyone know how much land is going for around Kumpawhatever?
Enjoy this site much more by adding idiots to your ignore list (Friends & Foes tab).
http:\\www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/ucp.php? ... &mode=foes

downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » December 21, 2012, 10:20 am

The overpass next to Big C heads East toward Sakon Nakon, would it no have been better for he overpass to go the other way

downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » December 21, 2012, 10:27 am

sorry pushed the wrong button, the bulk of the Traffic is on the Ring Road, would it not have been been suited for the majority to be cleard instead of banking where it could have been cleared much quicker if it was faced North to South. What is your opinion

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 21, 2012, 1:55 pm

When it was built, there wasn't that much traffic on the ring road in that area. But in the past 2 years, traffic, especially truck traffic, has increased substantially on the ring road, especially the Loei-Nongkai Hwy side, and then even more on the Nongkai to Sakhon Nakhon side.
And with nearly every sq. meter of space on the ring road being built up, and subdivisions going in all over, it can only get busier.

I've said it before, I'll say it again........people are betting on the come with all the building going on. Bangkok folks may be buying.....but what's driving it all? There's no new industry/tourism draw........just betting on a new high speed railroad and all that might bring with it......but that's proabably many years out....if ever. I'd fold.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » December 21, 2012, 3:03 pm

I would say a tunnel just won't work, hope they build it better then the Big C overpass. with it's rain puddles. A real surprise for this not ready for it.

mykthemin
udonmap.com

Post by mykthemin » December 21, 2012, 3:28 pm

There will be a lot of industry coming to udon and loei as THEY DO NOT FLOOD like bangkok.

Return to “Udon Thani News”