Non Wau Sor News

Udon Thani news, views and comments
trubrit
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by trubrit » September 8, 2011, 9:41 am

Started a topic as we seem to be in the news so much these days, thought it would keep it all in one place .
We are getting a new 14mill baht police station to replace the old one here at Nong Wai. It will be a three story concrete structure with all modern facilities including a new cell block. It is located alongside the old one which will be demolished when the new is complete. This completes the development of a new Amphoe , Land office and fire station. With only a new hospital still on the cards . The place is a growing . :lol:

Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

lee
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by lee » September 8, 2011, 11:47 am

I had to pass through Non Wau Sor yesterday when I was searching for garden centers. It's quite a nice area from what I could see. On the way back I stopped at a rather large market on the side of the road offering all sorts of stuff from wild bird meat to bbq'd fish eggs, it's not the kind of stuff you see at markets in town but interesting nevertheless.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by trubrit » September 8, 2011, 1:02 pm

lee wrote:I had to pass through Non Wau Sor yesterday when I was searching for garden centers. It's quite a nice area from what I could see. On the way back I stopped at a rather large market on the side of the road offering all sorts of stuff from wild bird meat to bbq'd fish eggs, it's not the kind of stuff you see at markets in town but interesting nevertheless.
Yes coming from Udon to Nong Bua Lamphu, just 5 kms on from the major traffic lights at Non War Sor. Its actually in Ban Hoi Dula (sic) but not signposted. Its moved back into a more organised market setting on the right hand side, you will see many oil drums on the center carriageway. Its a traditional village market, no commercial stalls at all .The locals all gather the produce from the surrounding hills and jungle . Its actually well known for the freshness of its bamboo. Amongst other unusual offerings are genuine wild boar and deer meat. Eels, rice rats, squirrels and as Lee said, all sorts of birds barbecued on sticks. During the wet season you will see buckets full of frogs .Its a late afternoon, evening market as the locals are out hunting in the morning .Not for the squeamish . :lol:

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by Mosquito » September 8, 2011, 1:37 pm

That's a twice the week stop for the wife and her mom, been limited on the wierd stuff lately.

You forgot lizard meat (sometimes the whole lizard), live bird (to eat, not doves), live toon (small bucktooth mole), wasp nest with larvae, fresh water eels, turtles, sometimes bats.

Surprising how expensive some of this stuff is:
Toon can cost 200-300 baht.
Wasp next again 200-300 baht, talking a 6inx6in nest.
Some birds, 160-200 baht for a small one!!!

Lots better now with the parking off the road.

Hey, did you hear that the big shop owner in Nong Wua So is pushing to open up a Tesco and housing estate?? Using that property just before turning off the main road to Nong Wua So coming from Udon. He's already cleaned up the land, waiting to see if Tesco wants another outlet!!!

stoneman
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by stoneman » September 8, 2011, 2:59 pm

Mosquito wrote:
Hey, did you hear that the big shop owner in Nong Wua So is pushing to open up a Tesco and housing estate?? Using that property just before turning off the main road to Nong Wua So coming from Udon. He's already cleaned up the land, waiting to see if Tesco wants another outlet!!!
It's hard for me to understand why the big shop owner would be inviting additional competition...But I still don't understand why he allowed the 7-11 to go in next door to his store....As powerful as he is in this community, it is hard to understand...

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by Mosquito » September 9, 2011, 2:54 am

Don't think the 7-11 is causing him to much financial loss, his prices on everyday items are cheaper and I have noticed a considerable drop in 7-11 customers (except for the kids getting a slurpy and snacks).

Think he wants the Tesco for capital for building the estates/homes. He indicated he'd build a home on a payment plan.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by trubrit » September 9, 2011, 6:37 am

Thinking logically and not from any source. I can't really see Tesco building a supermarket here but there policy of blanket marketing might make them consider one of their convenience stores in the six shop units the site plan indicates at the front of the development. Far more likely is the suggestion on another topic that they might be planning a full outlet in Nong Bua Lamphoo, a town which so far lacks any supermarkets and their nearest one to it is in Loei.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by Mosquito » September 9, 2011, 9:54 am

Concur, but who knows what Thai logic is behind this.

parrot
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by parrot » September 9, 2011, 2:15 pm

I stop in the 7-11 when the wife visits the market a few times a week. There's always been a steady flow of customers....lots buying the frozen/chilled meals, and yes, lots and lots buying snacks/slurpies/hot dogs etc. The place is a nice addition to the town.

Stopped at least a half dozen times a month as we head into NongWauSor by the traffic cops at the intersection. I show my license and they wave me off. Never a problem.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by trubrit » September 9, 2011, 2:34 pm

parrot wrote:.

Stopped at least a half dozen times a month as we head into NongWauSor by the traffic cops at the intersection. I show my license and they wave me off. Never a problem.
Yes they are hyper active now owing to overspending their budget on overtime putting all those cones out every morning and night . :roll: :lol:

stoneman
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by stoneman » September 10, 2011, 12:52 pm

trubrit wrote:
parrot wrote:.

Yes they are hyper active now owing to overspending their budget on overtime putting all those cones out every morning and night . :roll: :lol:
Yes, the daily cone patrol has to be knocking a big dent into several police dept's budgets....There has to be, at least, 75 police involved for 3 -4 hours every morning and another 3 - 4 hours every afternoon...

Stoneman

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by kjellsnell » September 12, 2011, 9:38 pm

i dont like to take the joy from Trubrit about the development of this amphuer but there is something intresting about how they spend the money. When i talk whit people living in the villages outside Non wai it isnt hard to find out the lack of infrastructure in compare whit Non Wai. For exampel, In Non Wai people have a new god road, they have thelephone, they have internet, but when U take your morning walk on the road to Ban Nong Maakk and Ban Tung huai sai, you can see how bad the road is....you cant drive whit a normal car and driving motorcycle you do whit risk for life. There is no thelephonelines and almost no connection whit the cellphone. I can tell people in this villages think the leading people in Non wai forget about the villages around where the infrastructure is 25 year after the main tambon Non wai! You only need to take a walk and look where the bad road starts...its where the headvillage ends! :cry:

Kevro
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by Kevro » September 14, 2011, 7:09 pm

Hi Guys,

Just a thought and be gentle as I have had a few beers. I get these ideas after a few beers.

Maybe we can start a Nong Wua Sor Map web site or maybe Lee has it covered already. Plenty going on around here.

Kevro

BIGAL
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by BIGAL » September 14, 2011, 7:52 pm

Well we live in Udon but love going out to Nong Wor Sor, great country roads to explore, I pretty much know them all now after 2 years! I thought it was all agreed already that Tesco were going ahead with the building of a store there! The 1 thing however that is missing out there is a nice restaurant, anyone know of any? We were out there today fishing and had a picnic but often think it would be great to have a good coffee shop or restaurant!

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by kjellsnell » September 14, 2011, 8:05 pm

I agree whit you Bigal. We miss a god restaurant out here. Before there was a Sweden guy runs a restaurant in Non Wai. He have great food and wife also bake very god sandwich bread...but they move on for Ban pe area and now it is only a coffeshop in this place. From what i know, a farrangrestaurant doesnt give so much money in Non wai. Maybe it can work out from okt to feb but not under the hot and rainy season.....i really miss a god place to eat for a couple of times a week but from what i hear from the former owner of the restaurant, other farrang prefare to eat at home...maybe kinjaow...i dont know....

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by Mosquito » September 14, 2011, 11:30 pm

I look forward to Thursdays and the fried chicken baby drum sticks at the weekly big market.

Other then that only other place I enjoy eating (besides 7-11) is the noodle shop in Nong Wua So. The one on the right as you enter Nong Wua So coming from Nong Or......noodles or moo kap is very tasty!!

Remember a Swedish guy and his wife had a shop/rest in Nong Wai where you could get a burger and fries. Also, a decent pancake. She ran the place while he was away, understand she went back to Sweden with him about a year ago!!

trubrit
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by trubrit » September 15, 2011, 6:28 am

kjellsnell wrote:I agree whit you Bigal. We miss a god restaurant out here. Before there was a Sweden guy runs a restaurant in Non Wai. He have great food and wife also bake very god sandwich bread...but they move on for Ban pe area and now it is only a coffeshop in this place. From what i know, a farrangrestaurant doesnt give so much money in Non wai. Maybe it can work out from okt to feb but not under the hot and rainy season.....i really miss a god place to eat for a couple of times a week but from what i hear from the former owner of the restaurant, other farrang prefare to eat at home...maybe kinjaow...i dont know....
I think you totally miss the point why most of us live here in the first place. It is a rural situation where the majority, both Thai and Farang live with their family, and as such, have access to possibly the best kitchen, in our mind , without going out. So those circumstances don't lead to the profitable establishment of a "good restaurant", although as Mosquto mentions there are several smaller noodle and rice shops, plus the market where you can get quite tasty dishes, but gourmet they aren't .I personally prefer the trip into town at weekends where there are many better restaurants to enjoy, the wife can get some shopping therapy and my son can meet up with some of his school mates for a game of footie. Its an occasion to look forward to, not a question of being kineaow.

phen
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by phen » September 15, 2011, 9:21 am

I agree with trubrit,
For me the weekend is for a day out to Udon.
take my child to the swimming pool and afterwards we go to Central or Tesco Lotus.
We eat a pizza or take a burger with french fried.
The rest off the week I can live perfect with thai food and a western breakfast.
I enjoy country live thats the reason I don't live in udon.

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by kjellsnell » September 15, 2011, 9:28 am

trubrit wrote:
kjellsnell wrote:I agree whit you Bigal. We miss a god restaurant out here. Before there was a Sweden guy runs a restaurant in Non Wai. He have great food and wife also bake very god sandwich bread...but they move on for Ban pe area and now it is only a coffeshop in this place. From what i know, a farrangrestaurant doesnt give so much money in Non wai. Maybe it can work out from okt to feb but not under the hot and rainy season.....i really miss a god place to eat for a couple of times a week but from what i hear from the former owner of the restaurant, other farrang prefare to eat at home...maybe kinjaow...i dont know....
I think you totally miss the point why most of us live here in the first place. It is a rural situation where the majority, both Thai and Farang live with their family, and as such, have access to possibly the best kitchen, in our mind , without going out. So those circumstances don't lead to the profitable establishment of a "good restaurant", although as Mosquto mentions there are several smaller noodle and rice shops, plus the market where you can get quite tasty dishes, but gourmet they aren't .I personally prefer the trip into town at weekends where there are many better restaurants to enjoy, the wife can get some shopping therapy and my son can meet up with some of his school mates for a game of footie. Its an occasion to look forward to, not a question of being kineaow.
I dont think i miss the point.......When Harald and Noi runs the restaurant they have a mix of thai and farrang food and they done quite well even they dont get millions from that business. It was a god restaurant and a god meetingpoint and as i dont like to drink alkohol i dont hang around whit the farrang sitting oposite the market and about foodplaces around Nonwai theres Non i can stand....theres only one in the area that i can recomand and Thats mama Thungs place in Nong A. You see, i live here very long time.....i know wy i live here and what i prefer. As i said before, for 1 ore 2 times per week it could be god eat out and in Non wai theres is no place i where i can eat.......then i prefere my own ore my wifes cooking, clean and god food!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by parrot » September 15, 2011, 10:18 am

For a simple pork noodle soup, the shop just before the main intersection on the Nongbualamphu/Udon Hwy, left hand side as you're coming from Nongbualamphu. For grilled chicken or grilled talapia, nothing beats WeChianBuRee (ไก่ย่างวิเชียนบุรี) which is about 1.5km from the main intersection, as you're heading toward Udon, right hand side next to the big private school. They've been in business for years and offer consistently great chicken/fish......but they're usually closed up by 2-3PM. The best duck soup or duck over rice in the area is at about kilo 21 as you're heading into Udon, right hand side. Likewise, they've been in business for 10+ years and their food is consistently good. They also close up around 2-3PM.
When it comes to eating out in the area, those are about the only place I go to.....otherwise it's a meal at home or in Udon.

Return to “Udon Thani News”