Non Wau Sor News

Udon Thani news, views and comments
trubrit
udonmap.com

Army recruitment day.

Post by trubrit » April 2, 2012, 1:29 pm

Its the day all the young men of the village have been waiting for. All the 18year olds are queuing up to see whether they get a red or a black in the draw to see who is going to become a soldier .Talking to the recruiting sergeant , although I don't know how many are required this year, he tells me there is a 50/50 chance of going or not .For me the funniest sight was the katoys disappearing behind the screen to be examined by a nurse. Apparently if they have noms they are ineligible to go , coming out clutching and waving their bit of paper which says's the have titties, with all the feminine gestures that only a boy girl can . :roll:

Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

trubrit
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by trubrit » September 4, 2012, 3:58 pm

trubrit wrote:Thinking logically and not from any source. I can't really see Tesco building a supermarket here but there policy of blanket marketing might make them consider one of their convenience stores in the six shop units the site plan indicates at the front of the development. Far more likely is the suggestion on another topic that they might be planning a full outlet in Nong Bua Lamphoo, a town which so far lacks any supermarkets and their nearest one to it is in Loei.
Well wrong again. I have confirmation today that Tesco are indeed negotiating for units on this site to open one of their mini marts.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by trubrit » September 4, 2012, 4:27 pm

trubrit wrote:Not much happening in the area just now so just an update . The piling has been finished for the new police station and the construction work proper has started . It is estimated to be completed late March next year . The heavy rains have disrupted a lot of municipal projects but haven't caused much in the way of chaos on the roads. However the locals are reporting the possibility of a reduced rice harvest owing to the amount of water in the fields. On the social front. Every morning I awake to the sounds of the boat race crews chanting as they practise for the annual boat race next month. I don't think it will be as big as previous years though as Tessabahn are feeling some financial pressures and are curtailing expenditure on purely social projects .
Some Farang will be delighted to know I was talking to a Swedish man, recently retired here, who is planning to open a continental style boulangerie/ patisserie on some land he owns near the dual carriageway, with his Thai wife running a Starbucks style coffee shop on the premises. Apparently he is a master baker and they ran a similar establishment in Sweden for many years .He is currently tracking the equipment on a ship bringing it over, so its more than a dream .
Cream cakes , yummy. Will post any further development .
Well just updating this post .
The new police station which should have been completed last March has run out of money with the contractor not being paid the project has come to a complete standstill. Only the weeds are growing .
Big c 002.jpg
The talk of opening a boulangerie appears to be just that, talk. The land where it was supposed to be is still , just land, no developement is visible .

Galee
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by Galee » September 4, 2012, 4:33 pm

I'm guessing the 'expansion freeze' on Tesco was overcome with a few 'envelopes' given to the right people.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5384494.stm

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by Mosquito » September 4, 2012, 5:36 pm

Anyone eat at the new fanang food place in Nong Wua Sor?? Located 2 doors down from 7-11 and before the little Pharmacy.

They have a chalk board posted outside, might have to try their club sandwich one day........but would be interested to get some advance info on the place.

camps
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by camps » September 4, 2012, 8:36 pm

Hi Mosquito,
Its been open a few weeks and is run by "Beer" and his sister,they cater for both thais and farangs. I myself have had take-aways and eat-ins and never had cause for complaint. The wife prefers the food better than the eating places in Udon.(and in some cases i have to agree) Also very reasonably priced.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by Mosquito » September 4, 2012, 11:41 pm

Thought it just opened, only noticed it yesterday.

Will try it tomorrow and post a report, only problem it wasn't open today at 0830 (stopped in Nong Wua So after dropping the daughter off at school)........was hoping they did a farang breakfast.

stoneman
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by stoneman » September 9, 2012, 8:12 am

Trubrit..

Any updated info on the status of Nong Wauso's gas drilling venture...I assume that the results of the seismograph have been evaluated and I also assume that decisions have been made...Any news?

Stoneman

Aptera
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by Aptera » October 12, 2012, 10:03 pm

Mosquito wrote:Thought it just opened, only noticed it yesterday.

Will try it tomorrow and post a report, only problem it wasn't open today at 0830 (stopped in Nong Wua So after dropping the daughter off at school)........was hoping they did a farang breakfast.
Any update from the new restaurant ?

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by kjellsnell » October 13, 2012, 11:00 am

Aptera wrote:
Mosquito wrote:Thought it just opened, only noticed it yesterday.

Any update from the new restaurant ?
To call it a restaurant seems a bit excessive. It's more of a coffee shop that has some fast food that they can run in the microwave or fry up some Thai fast food. I can not say I was disappointed by what we ate from the menu but it's not a place I will return to. The food they offer can I cook in 5 minutes with better results. Just buy some from the freezer in the Macro or Big C, throw it in the pan / microwave and presto ..... so the table is served. :|
These days life seems pretty good and I eagerly look forward to the continuation!

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by Mosquito » October 13, 2012, 5:40 pm

A little late:

Ate there about a month ago, had the fish and chips. Chips were fine (hard to screw-up fries), fish was one of those processed patties.

Will try the place one more time for the club sandwich, but not expecting much.

Canoe races in Nong Or this week, normally pretty entertaining!!!

camps
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by camps » October 13, 2012, 8:24 pm

Had the fish n chips yesterday.The fish was Snapper in crispy breadcrumbs, served with fries & side salad, went down a treat with a couple of leo,s :D

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by Mosquito » October 13, 2012, 9:11 pm

Must of been a bad day when I visited!!

Won't order the fish and chips again, but will stop-by and try their club sandwich.

I've been kinda stuck on TOPs food, mainly the pepper steak and those 40 baht bowls of potato salad (empty the shelf of the salad on every visit, great quick snack). Daughter goes crazy for the cooked shrimp and crab salad sandwich.

camps
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by camps » October 14, 2012, 8:53 am

Mosquito, I like a bit of steak myself and last week myself and the "better half" called in Chern Chim to see Jon. I wanted some Aussie strip loin, sold out! Jon said to try the "Thai" fillet and T-bone steak that he had in stock,explaining that it had been specially grain fed..... Well i can honestly say it was the tenderest thai beef i have ever tasted and got the thumbs up from the mrs who cooked it with creamy black pepper sauce. Going back for some more today and might catch the Grand Prix with a Magners. (sorry a bit off topic)

Aptera
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by Aptera » October 14, 2012, 12:10 pm

I was just informed that there were some incidents during this week in Ban Mak Ya.

One Thai man went into three houses (all of them have daughters married a foreigner) and told them the same story.

I know your daughter (he knew the nick-name of all of them) and she told me to come to you (father) and borrow some money (3000 baht).

I will give you back the money next week , with a couple of shirts gift from your daughter (send by mail from Europe)

He was not lucky , and in one house when a young man tried to take a photo of him , he started to run away.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by Mosquito » October 14, 2012, 7:31 pm

That's an interesting scam, not the brightest (this is Thailand)!!

Canoe races this up coming weekend in Nong Or, some villiage entertainment.

Small local elections today, glad those trucks (loud music) will no longer be on the road at 0730 in the morning.

Saw something interesting this afternoon, what use to be the small internet shop between Nong Or and Nong Wai seems to have changed into a small 4-5 desk school with an English teacher. Think the guy was American and he did have 4 students in attendance. Kids looked around 10 or 11 years old.

Oh, with school out way more young (really young) kids riding motorbikes wild on the streets.........drive carefully (for most as usual).

trubrit
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by trubrit » October 15, 2012, 10:51 am

Mosquito wrote:
Canoe races this up coming weekend in Nong Or, some villiage entertainment.

Saw something interesting this afternoon, what use to be the small internet shop between Nong Or and Nong Wai seems to have changed into a small 4-5 desk school with an English teacher. Think the guy was American and he did have 4 students in attendance. Kids looked around 10 or 11 years old.

).
Canoe races, canoe? Please Mr Mosquito. Traditional Thai longboat races, with 12 sweating, muscular Thai men on board.
This Friday the 19th is the open competition with teams from all round the country competing for the big money prizes, whilst on Saturday 20th the local lads get their chance, egged on by the village lasses cheer leaders .Two days of good fun.
Haven't looked in on the new language school. Is this a permanent change from the internet shop? I was wondering if it was anything to do with the inter school English competition coming up. All the local schools have selected two youngsters to represent them. I am coaching two kids from the Nong Or junior school for it . Its just a simple exercise. They have to read a short story in English and answer a few questions from the judges, again in English .Basic stuff really, but it's a start.

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by kjellsnell » October 15, 2012, 1:15 pm

I must run back home from Hua Hin in god time for the long boat races - thats one of the best events on the year in Tambon Non wai!!!
These days life seems pretty good and I eagerly look forward to the continuation!

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by Mosquito » October 15, 2012, 6:34 pm

They have already started setting up/operating the game booths and sliders / standard rides.

Only problem with the canoe (ok, long boat) races will be all the drunks driving around in the afternoon - early evening.

Hey, Turbit have you heard anything about a mom and 4 year old getting run over by a truck yesterday?? Story goes husband (drunk) driving the bike, hits something and wife/child gets thrown in front of one of those Thai potato trucks.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Non Wau Sor News

Post by trubrit » October 15, 2012, 7:00 pm

Mosquito wrote:

Hey, Turbit have you heard anything about a mom and 4 year old getting run over by a truck yesterday?? Story goes husband (drunk) driving the bike, hits something and wife/child gets thrown in front of one of those Thai potato trucks.
I am aware of the incident from the Rescue radios so it appears to be true but don't have any details. I will learn more at the station tomorrow.Will post then.

Return to “Udon Thani News”