Matayom 4 and onwards

tamada
udonmap.com

Matayom 4 and onwards

Post by tamada » June 2, 2022, 9:07 am

My oldest just started Matayom 3 at Udon Christian Suksa. That's their most senior year so we will be looking for a new school for his remaining three years of secondary education here.

Looking for some experiences and recommendations for teenage schooling in Oodorn.

Ta
tam

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Matayom 4 and onwards

Post by Khun Paul » June 2, 2022, 9:59 am

In some respects Tam you may have the choice removed if his ONet is not good enough , Many opt for Vocational training after M3. The world as they say is his oyster, hard work will pay off hopefully

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » June 10, 2022, 8:44 am

Don Bosco, Pattana Panya, Udonpit, ICS.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 10, 2022, 4:38 pm

There are tests to get into M4 at Udon Pit. It's competitive.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 10, 2022, 5:21 pm

GT93 wrote:
June 10, 2022, 4:38 pm
There are tests to get into M4 at Udon Pit. It's competitive.
Most schools that teach M4 to M 6 hold exams for their own students to seed out the less academic students, so ANY student wishing to come in for m4 to M6 will have top no only produce their O net test results but if good enough WILL still need to pass the inhouse test for M4 as well.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 10, 2022, 6:27 pm

They all run tests. Is Udon Pitt the runner up to Don Bosco in desirability? Huge schools? Large classes?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 10, 2022, 6:38 pm

All these schools depend on what your child's abilities are
My oldest went to Udon Pitt for 3 years and never really did well there
Now is going to some college learning practical stuff and is progressing happily
Youngest one wants to go to Udon Pitt next year
So will wait and see how he does

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 10, 2022, 6:39 pm

Sorry tam should have talked to ye at the FES meeting
The car wash man should have chatted to ye as well

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 10, 2022, 6:53 pm

noosard wrote:
June 10, 2022, 6:38 pm
All these schools depend on what your child's abilities are
My oldest went to Udon Pitt for 3 years and never really did well there
Now is going to some college learning practical stuff and is progressing happily
Youngest one wants to go to Udon Pitt next year
So will wait and see how he does
Pretty much what KP said earlier. If the O-net results look good, then the path is easier. Otherwise it's either vocational college or life skills with the sis-in-law at Nongbua market. An earlier plan to take the family to the UK was partly scuppered by unreasonable British immigration rules. For unknown reasons, my lawyer mate in Houston has recently retracted his long-standing offer for lodging and mentorship for his Godson at his chosen Katy ISD school.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 13, 2022, 12:51 am

Over the years I have known a number of young Thai people, usually males, who don't work for long periods. I guess this happens too often. I suspect they occasionally do dodgy things for money.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 13, 2022, 6:45 am

Looking at our moobahn, there's a few that seem to do nothing for long periods but most of them do some sort of work and a few have maybe a couple of gigs. If they're like the lads my brother-in-law hires, it's never steady work but hired as needed for certain phases of home construction or a remodel such as needing an extra hand on the roofing or put a couple of guys on a short spell of heavy manual labor like unloading a truck at the site. In between, there's fishing and foraging. That can be for home consumption with the excess for market. Sister-in-law has a few scruffy looking country folks that drop off some hard to find veggies or bush meat early evening or early morning for her market stall. She pays them for whatever they bring to her stall.

Others play cards and drink all day. But that's country folks. They probably never got a shot at any Matayom-level education. No idea how those with degrees and the like are coping.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » June 13, 2022, 8:24 am

I would imagine there are no entrance tests at PP and ICS. Just pay your money and go. About 10 years ago the going price at Udonpit was 20k for those wishing to get into the English/International program without satisfactory test results.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 14, 2022, 9:56 am

noosard wrote:
June 10, 2022, 6:39 pm
Sorry tam should have talked to ye at the FES meeting
The car wash man should have chatted to ye as well
No worries, I know his lad goes to UP and doing well.
Catch up with you later at the Hansa Firehouse maybe?
Last edited by tamada on June 14, 2022, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 14, 2022, 10:00 am

mak wrote:
June 13, 2022, 8:24 am
I would imagine there are no entrance tests at PP and ICS. Just pay your money and go. About 10 years ago the going price at Udonpit was 20k for those wishing to get into the English/International program without satisfactory test results.
Cheers mak. I had a look at the ICS website. Further out than UC Suksa but better than the inner city in that regard. Looks like a US-tuned curriculum? The sports facilities look like a winner as my lad is BIG on basketball.

Anyone know what ICS is like? Staff competency?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » June 14, 2022, 2:03 pm

Not answering your question but just sharing my situation with my step-daughter who never lived with us and was raised by her grandparents in the village.

She did her Matayom years at the main school in Nong Han. She was supposedly always in the top 5 with all her studies, exams, etc (or so we kept getting told.) After Matayom she tried to get into Uni to study English and wanted to go to Uni in KK or Burihram. She was rejected from both (her English was not good enough) and was going to settle for a place in a Uni in Udon studying something else.

I decided to do some research (I admit to not taking any interest in her life up to this point). Myself and my wife found a course for her at Bangkok University (BU) studying Hospitality Management (basically learning about how hotels work and operate).
Last year she finished her studies and graduated. It was a big eye opener for her to leave the comfort of the village and live on her own in Bangkok for 4 years. Her English got better (as most of her class mates were from South of Thailand and could all speak English), before it was terrible.
Surprisingly after graduating she got accepted for 2 jobs quite quickly. 1 of them was working for a Government office near Nong Han and the starting salary was going to be 20,000 baht per month which seemed more than we had expected (hear teachers making 10K max after Uni).
However instead of taking it I got her a work contract in Qatar and she has just finished her first year working in Centara Hotel. The hours are long and the pay is terrible (compared to cost of living) but it is great experience for her. She is now learning really good English and is experiencing how a well organised company works and operates. Apart from 2 other Thias all the other staff she works with are from all over the world.
Now she has finished the first year, which was basically just being a waitress on the early shift or late shift, they are starting to put her into other parts of the Hotel to get more experience.
Hopefully she will progress into a better position in the hotel and if she wanted to, could return to Thailand to work in another international hotel. (Or even better marries a super rich guy who gives me a massive dowry ;) )

My point of sharing this was to say I would highly recommend studying outside of Udon at some point, whether that be high school, Uni or for the start of working career.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 15, 2022, 11:22 am

While some of you are deliberating, read this

https://theisaanrecord.co/2022/03/30/th ... anagement/

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 15, 2022, 12:06 pm

That's a nice story deankham. One of my step-daughters has done fairly well after studying at Mahasarakham University. Much better than her sister who didn't go to university. I think if the kids have some ambition, that's alone can take them a long way.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 15, 2022, 2:13 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
June 15, 2022, 11:22 am
While some of you are deliberating, read this

https://theisaanrecord.co/2022/03/30/th ... anagement/
Good read KP, thanks.

I take three things from that.

1. The Thai Education portfolio seems to be one that nobody wants when a 'government' divvies out the perks.

2. I should never have left Bangkok.

3. I'm glad I didn't marry a school teacher.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 16, 2022, 2:00 am

In the link the reported underfunding of education in Isaan compared to Bangkok is shocking. Good find KP. You're champ of the week.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 16, 2022, 8:13 am

The biggest problem I found while I was teaching was that
1. Depending on teacher status , ,ie: Ajarn 1- whatever ... the more they can borrow at a cheap rate.
2 Because of the elevated status in terms of respect teachers have been accorded you get personal petitions by parents to pass a student with verious offerings offered.( none sexual )
3 Thais schools ( all of them IK worked in , use test and exam results to determine a students ability, therefore the TEACHERS only teach students to pass, knowledge is therefore limited to a few basics and some periphical information.

Therefore leaving the students with many questions unanswered ( answering questions Thai teachers generally never do )
and large gaps in general knowledge , yopu know all that small stuff ( some useless ) that we picked up during the course of opur school years , does not exist in Thai schbools.
Coupled with unlike many countries there is NOT outside schools and informal groups or clubs specifically aimed at children that we all knew . Scouting ( Male and female ) ,Youth clubs, Sports clubs etc. Do not exist in Thailand generally.

Return to “Education/Schools”