Re: Pattanapanya School Udon Thani

Post by deankham » November 21, 2016, 12:17 pm

thanks Mak, appreciated

Pooclover
udonmap.com
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack-bar sucking sickly sausage rolls

Post by Pooclover » November 21, 2016, 12:42 pm

As with all things Thai this school is all about “face”…. The more you’re seen to pay the bigger face you’re seen to have… I personally don’t give a monkeys uncle how I am perceived….

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » November 21, 2016, 1:04 pm

Pooclover wrote:As with all things Thai this school is all about “face”…. The more you’re seen to pay the bigger face you’re seen to have… I personally don’t give a monkeys uncle how I am perceived….
Actually, I spent a day at this school last year and was quite impressed.

tammakhun
udonmap.com

Post by tammakhun » November 21, 2016, 9:20 pm

My son went here for K2 only. My neighbor went here for a few years and also doesn't anymore. I met a farang one day at a swimming pool that said his son went here for a few weeks and they changed him. In my case we changed my son to a more expensive school, it wasn't a money issue.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » November 21, 2016, 10:52 pm

᧧ wrote:My son went here for K2 only. My neighbor went here for a few years and also doesn't anymore. I met a farang one day at a swimming pool that said his son went here for a few weeks and they changed him. In my case we changed my son to a more expensive school, it wasn't a money issue.
Because.....?
You were unhappy with the school?
Why?
UFF DA!

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » November 21, 2016, 11:32 pm

I'm always interested to hear feedback on schools around Udon. Boo you've left us hanging a bit, what school did you swap to and why.
My children went to Paramin for kindergarden, then UDIS for a while and are now at Appapatcharat. None of them have been great schools for different reasons however I've learnt I can't keep moving my children as there just aren't any perfect schools in this town.

tammakhun
udonmap.com

Post by tammakhun » November 22, 2016, 1:00 am

For right now he is in Udon Sensory school plus gets one on one tutoring (28,000 per semester + 10,000 every 3 weeks) but will need to change next year because he's older than most the other children there. I'm considering trying UDIS but not sure, feedback there hasn't been so great either but options are limited. We're having some thoughts of moving cities for the only reason that education is an issue here, but still might try a little more first. True story on last post, but prefer to mostly leave it at that. There was some good things about the school, but for the most part it was a wasted year. He learned nothing, and developed some issues after attending that he didn't have before. How much can be attributed to the particular school, I don't know. He didn't develop while there though and seemed to regress a bunch in the process.

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » November 22, 2016, 8:09 am

My experience with UDIS was that I felt like I'd paid for a BMW and got a Hyundai. To be fair they had just opened but for 300k plus per student you shouldn't have to put up with teething problems. On top of that you had to pay extra for every excursion they went on.

My children were in a mixed age class together and had an American teacher. The American guy taught the older half of the class whilst the Thai assistant taught the younger half. I paid for a foreign teacher for both children but my daughter got a Thai teacher.

Both my children didn't speak Thai and after 6 months of daily Thai lessons they could only get through about 5 consonants of the Thai alphabet. When I questioned the teacher she blamed my son for talking too much

The music lessons didn't involve any instruments rather tapping beats on their legs.

At the time they were still trying to be an approved Iinternational Baccaureate school so I wasn't quite sure if my child's report card was worth anything.

Compared to other schools in town it was quite good and my children were quite happy however I didn't think it was 600k plus good.
All the above may be sorted now as my experience was more than one year ago.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » November 22, 2016, 12:42 pm

guys, good information. I always find it best to hear real feedback based on experience which is what we are getting (mostly) so great.
Don't want to hijack this schools thread, but Grievous (and others) how are you finding Appapatcharat? I've not heard the name before but will search for it now.

Thanks again.

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » November 22, 2016, 5:47 pm

Hi Dean the school has a Thai section and mixed English & Thai section which my children attend.
The school has the usual frustrations of schools with Thai carriculum such as wasting precious school hours dressing up as scouts and in sports uniforms without actual learning anything in scouts or competing in any sporting activities. In Thailand it's more about dressing up and less about doing unfortunately. our children have an American teacher for English, math & science who is doing a fairly good job. Appapatt has a friendly environment, no bullying and my children enjoy attending the school.
The fee's are around 75k per year for the English stream. It's located on Prom Prakhai road

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » November 22, 2016, 6:29 pm

thanks appreciated.

Was also looking at UDIS but the fees add up quickly once you add food, transport, books, etc to the basic price. You are looking at not far off the cost of a very well established private school in Bangkok or Phuket.

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » March 29, 2022, 6:30 am

Bump for updates on Pattanapanya....
High school years in particular.

(Since no replies posted re ICS)

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 29, 2022, 11:20 am

There is still a misconception that Money will give you quality education , here so often chil;dren are given test after test to ascertain how good they are, the other factor is the child, some do learn in a good well structured environment paid for by parents who assume money will cure everything, others and by that over the last few years I have learnt, just do the minimum to satisfy the school and parents, learning in reality next to nothing .
How many of you actually ask your child what they like and wish to be in the future, very young children obviously do not know but those with middle teenage years or older the children do know . Schools chosen should assist them in reaching that goal.
<omey is NOT the answer sorry.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » March 29, 2022, 12:42 pm

rct wrote:
March 29, 2022, 6:30 am
Bump for updates on Pattanapanya....
High school years in particular.

(Since no replies posted re ICS)
I think / thought it was only a Primary school?

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » March 30, 2022, 3:00 am

Pattanapanya Facebook shows they have High School 1-6 (grades 7 to 12 for westerners). Recent posts show a group of teenage students doing off campus sports and other activities.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 30, 2022, 8:06 am

Khun Paul wrote:
March 29, 2022, 11:20 am
There is still a misconception that Money will give you quality education , here so often chil;dren are given test after test to ascertain how good they are, the other factor is the child, some do learn in a good well structured environment paid for by parents who assume money will cure everything, others and by that over the last few years I have learnt, just do the minimum to satisfy the school and parents, learning in reality next to nothing .
How many of you actually ask your child what they like and wish to be in the future, very young children obviously do not know but those with middle teenage years or older the children do know . Schools chosen should assist them in reaching that goal.
<omey is NOT the answer sorry.
Bad teaching. Poor parenting. Lazy student. No career guidance.

Did I miss anything?

At 12 through to 18, I had no real clue about what I was going to be either. This despite a decent showing in SCE O levels and Highers. I do recall that Careers Advisers were typically a younger teacher who either had a reputation of not being very good in their department or were surplus to requirements and sort of odd-jobbing it? The students referred to the CA tended to be the failures, the ones that were already stigmatized by finding secondary education a struggle. I honestly remember my parents asking me what I wanted to be and my wife and I ask the same of our lads.

Is career advice for teenagers any better in the UK or USA or Australia nowadays?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 30, 2022, 8:41 am

My 15 year old has no idea what he wants to do
We ask him and he replies "dont know, just tell me what I should do"

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 30, 2022, 8:43 am

I know adults now in their 60's or older and they still dont know what they want to do.

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » March 30, 2022, 2:50 pm

Visited Pattanapanya today. They work on the Thai school calendar so only admin was open. There are currently 9 students in "Senior High School" meaning M4-6 (grades 10-12).

Return to “Education/Schools”