US Dollars US$

jackspratt
udonmap.com

US Dollars US$

Post by jackspratt » August 26, 2022, 1:01 pm

Is there a bank or other place in Udon which normally has some on hand - say around $100?

I need some for an upcoming trip.

Thanks

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: US Dollars US$

Post by FrazeeDK » August 26, 2022, 1:04 pm

Gold shops downtown around Haa Yaak (2nd circle)
Dave

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » August 26, 2022, 1:46 pm

Got $200 at Bangkok Bank last week. They say it depends on people exchanging dollars how much they may have. I guess they don't keep them long after exchange.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 26, 2022, 1:49 pm

Thanks Dave - will have a look on Monday.

Charlie - which branch please?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 26, 2022, 3:46 pm

Bandung Dero has PMd me to point out the obvious - US$ will be readily available at Swampy when I am leaving. :oops:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 26, 2022, 10:04 pm

jackspratt wrote:
August 26, 2022, 1:01 pm
Is there a bank or other place in Udon which normally has some on hand - say around $100?

I need some for an upcoming trip.

Thanks
That amount should get you one or two dogs, a bag of chips, a soft drink and a programme at the old ball game.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 26, 2022, 10:41 pm

My more immediate concern is the taxi/Uber from the airport to the hotel, whence I can look around for an ATM and hopefully better rate.

And who drinks a soft drink at the game?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 27, 2022, 2:01 am

jackspratt wrote:
August 26, 2022, 10:41 pm
My more immediate concern is the taxi/Uber from the airport to the hotel, whence I can look around for an ATM and hopefully better rate.

I used to when I was a kid now I bring my own water to drink.

Take the free hotel transportation to the hotel, if such a thing exists.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 27, 2022, 5:48 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
August 27, 2022, 2:01 am
jackspratt wrote:
August 26, 2022, 10:41 pm

I used to when I was a kid now I bring my own water to drink.

Take the free hotel transportation to the hotel, if such a thing exists.
Hotels still exist, no?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 27, 2022, 6:00 am

Twenty years ago, no foreign travel went without my having at least US$500 in large and small bills 'for emergencies'. Since the buck was the global currency and ATM's weren't available, that was the alternative to wallet-raping airport forex booths.

Then came ATM's but one still tried to avoid the 'special' ones at airports that had all sorts of premium fees loaded on top of rubbish exchange rates.

I recommend finding out what's the most popular ride-hailing app at your destination(s), install the app and add a credit card. I have Uber for Perth WA, Bolt for Bangkok and Grab for the rest of Thailand and Malaysia. That way you book/ride/pay without faffing around with bits of colored paper.

I have a 'travel wallet' with the dross bills left over from various business and pleasure trips. There's maybe $48 in there that hasn't been touched or required in over five years.

It's a whole new world out there.

Safe trip and I hope your team wins.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » August 27, 2022, 6:47 am

In the US there should be ATM machines in the airport. FWIW, money exchange in the airport is rip off.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » August 27, 2022, 11:49 am

I would think that the banks in Central Plaza would have more USD's on hand since so many foreigners traverse through the mall. I have never had trouble getting them at Krung Thai Bank there.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 27, 2022, 12:10 pm

Thinking about it a bit more, I am better off using the US based ATM.

To buy US$ here, I need to bring money from my Oz bank - incurring the exchange cost to get THB. And then to use THB to buy US$, I will cop another exchange cost.

By doing it in the US, I can go direct to my Oz bank via the ATM, with only 1 FX cost.

thewatchman
udonmap.com

Post by thewatchman » August 27, 2022, 4:24 pm

I hope you sort it out jack,not like its rocket science ,how hard can it be? ;)
laughing at the occasional visitor and failed taxi drivers

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » August 27, 2022, 9:01 pm

jackspratt wrote:
August 27, 2022, 12:10 pm
Thinking about it a bit more, I am better off using the US based ATM.

To buy US$ here, I need to bring money from my Oz bank - incurring the exchange cost to get THB. And then to use THB to buy US$, I will cop another exchange cost.

By doing it in the US, I can go direct to my Oz bank via the ATM, with only 1 FX cost.
Jack, just a heads up, a lot of U.S. ATM's also charge a fee for non-members. This is in addition to FX fees from your Oz bank.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » August 27, 2022, 10:13 pm

tamada wrote:
August 27, 2022, 6:00 am
I have Uber for Perth WA, Bolt for Bangkok and Grab for the rest of Thailand and Malaysia. That way you book/ride/pay without faffing around with bits of colored paper.
Tam, were you able to add a credit card to Bolt while in Thailand? I can't seem to figure out how to get an ATM or credit card assigned. Only shows cash payment which for me is a dealbreaker in Bangkok since screwing around with cash and change is such pain when in heavy traffic.

It may work in Malaysia or Vietnam (unsure) so I may need to add a CC next time I am there. For now I will need to stay with Grab I guess unless you can share how to get around the cash only thing.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 28, 2022, 8:52 am

Stantheman wrote:
August 27, 2022, 9:01 pm

Jack, just a heads up, a lot of U.S. ATM's also charge a fee for non-members. This is in addition to FX fees from your Oz bank.
Thanks Stan

I have done even further research, and come up with a new strategy.

I have an Australian issued Wise debit card. I can shift A$ from my Oz bank into US$ in my Wise account - at what are pretty fair exchange rates.

I can then use the Wise card in the US for both tap-and-go purchases and ATM withdrawals - utilising the US$ I have in my account, so no FX.

There is a monthly limit on the ATM withdrawals, but the fees if I exceed the limit are still a lot better than if I use my Oz bank credit card or Handycard. They will be in my wallet as a backup only.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 29, 2022, 1:25 am

Potamoi wrote:
August 27, 2022, 10:13 pm
tamada wrote:
August 27, 2022, 6:00 am
I have Uber for Perth WA, Bolt for Bangkok and Grab for the rest of Thailand and Malaysia. That way you book/ride/pay without faffing around with bits of colored paper.
Tam, were you able to add a credit card to Bolt while in Thailand? I can't seem to figure out how to get an ATM or credit card assigned. Only shows cash payment which for me is a dealbreaker in Bangkok since screwing around with cash and change is such pain when in heavy traffic.

It may work in Malaysia or Vietnam (unsure) so I may need to add a CC next time I am there. For now I will need to stay with Grab I guess unless you can share how to get around the cash only thing.
In my rush to endorse using apps instead of folding stuff, I omitted to say that for now at least, Bolt is cash-only in Thailand. They do offer card linkage in Europe and maybe they'll tack it on over here if they get enough market share? The Bolt guy I used said that their charges for short, inner-city hops are lower than Grab but for longer trips, they're about the same. Maybe keep some red bills in the top pocket for your Bolt rides in Bangkok?

FWIW, the flexibility of Grab is still a winner when traveling regionally. All my KL favorites and delivery addresses from last year reappeared once I fired it up over here.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » August 29, 2022, 9:07 am

Personally, most of the transactions I do in BKK are strictly cash. I've tried swiping but, the blood and screaming puts me off.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » August 29, 2022, 3:53 pm

^ reminded me of a few images of thailand :)

Apologies to the OP for going off-topic but seems he has a plan of action already.

Return to “Money, Banking & Investments”