Note re frozen pensions for retired Brits or Brits approaching retirement age

Giggle
udonmap.com

Re: Note re frozen pensions for retired Brits or Brits approaching retirement age

Post by Giggle » February 13, 2022, 6:14 pm

Sounds terrible, but not unexpected.

Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

747man
udonmap.com

Re: Note re frozen pensions for retired Brits or Brits approaching retirement age

Post by 747man » February 13, 2022, 6:57 pm

Earnest wrote:
February 13, 2022, 5:03 pm
UK based, just an occasional visitor but not been back since February 2020.
And You never even come to say " Hello " to Moi....I Would've given you a FREE Coffee yer know :lol: :lol:

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » February 13, 2022, 8:22 pm

'Statto - S-T-A-T-T-O'.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 14, 2022, 12:23 am

AlexO wrote:
February 13, 2022, 9:20 am
Can someone please explain to me what the Reciprocal Agreement actually is. Why should a person who earns money from pensions paid by another Country ( your home Country presumably) have to fill out tax returns in the Country you now reside. I have never heard of anyone with a UK pension having to fill out a Thai tax return, so surely that is a Reciprocal Agreement??
The Thai tax rules/law has some rather interesting quirks to it. One of these is that only income brought into Thailand in the year it was earned is taxable, so with a little planning most people can avoid tax liability on income.

The Thai tax office has a much more pragmatic approach to forcing both citizens and foreign residents to complete a tax return, quite possibly because a large percentage of the population never has filed a tax return because their income is below the tax threshold.
There is also the “ UK/THAILAND DOUBLE TAXATION CONVENTION” https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _force.pdfwhich basically allows income tax (and some others) paid in one country to offset tax liability in the other.
So all in all some U.K. pensioners probably owe a small amount of Thai tax but are extremely unlikely to be chased for it
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 14, 2022, 10:13 am

Yes because I pay tax in the UK I am absolved from paying any tax here until I reach the 100000 a month income from whatever source, which is fine by me as I earned nothing but when i had my company I had to pay tax based on a 40 k earning per month.

Anyone who does nbot have agood accountant and avoids paying Thai Tax is really a silly man as eventually it will come back to bite you

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » February 14, 2022, 1:38 pm

arjay wrote:
February 13, 2022, 4:32 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
February 13, 2022, 6:55 am
I agree, if we keep knocking at the door it will eventually be seen for what it is an out of date system thjat needs to be addressed.
A mute point I currently pay more in UK Income tax than any increase I would gain. Seems stupid does it not
It wouldn't affect your income tax anyway. Pensions earned in the UK are still taxable for UK domiciled people living overseas.

Even though I was non- UK resident for tax purposes, I still had to pay UK income tax on my UK earned and sourced occupational pension throughout my time living in Thailand. UK state pensions still form part of your UK sourced income.

It is just that it seems unfair on UK nationals having paid into a pension scheme then to not receive the cost of living increases simply because they live in another country.
AlexO wrote:Can someone please explain to me what the Reciprocal Agreement actually is. Why should a person who earns money from pensions paid by another Country ( your home Country presumably) have to fill out tax returns in the Country you now reside. I have never heard of anyone with a UK pension having to fill out a Thai tax return, so surely that is a Reciprocal Agreement??
AlexO, reciprocal agreements, just means in essence an agreement with the other country to provide various benefits to the other country's nationals. An example being EU countries.
Hear what you say arjay.
But when we left the EU dictatorship UK passport holders became 3rd Country members and lost all EU benefits. The UK Government was very quick to announce those living in EU Countries would still receive benefit increases even though there were no reciprocal agreements in place at that time. I would also like to know what benefits a British expat living in the Philippines receives compared to an expat in Thailand. Its a piece of nonsense especially when you see the Commonwealth Nations that are excluded from these increases. I know a gent in Pattaya, grand old age of 86. His state pension is about 60 quid a month, disgusting.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » February 14, 2022, 10:40 pm

Earnest wrote:
Yes, moi aussi.

I was last in LOS mid Jan - 13th Feb 2020, and brought a supply of masks back to the UK with me. I even wore a mask passing through Heathrow and onwards at this end, and got some strange looks. A couple of weeks later they were wearing them here (well all except Boris!)

Since then I been trying to find an alternative to LOS, - ideally somewhere very much closer to the UK., but haven't been able to find anywhere suitable. The only possible places I could find that were near and warm, were places like the Costa Blanca ( Benidorm :oops: ), or the Algarve, or in the winter perhaps the Canaries, but all lack the other aspects of the LOS. (the fried rice and chicken).

I had been hoping I might get back to LOS this January (last month), but then Omicron raised its head and from what I hear things in LOS are still far from being back to normal. I just don't fancy an enforced quarantine subsequent to arrival, nor all the paperwork currently required, so am waiting to see what November 2022 brings.

ajsp9
udonmap.com

Post by ajsp9 » February 15, 2022, 3:19 am

arjay wrote:
February 14, 2022, 10:40 pm
Earnest wrote:
Yes, moi aussi.

I was last in LOS mid Jan - 13th Feb 2020, and brought a supply of masks back to the UK with me. I even wore a mask passing through Heathrow and onwards at this end, and got some strange looks. A couple of weeks later they were wearing them here (well all except Boris!)

Since then I been trying to find an alternative to LOS, - ideally somewhere very much closer to the UK., but haven't been able to find anywhere suitable. The only possible places I could find that were near and warm, were places like the Costa Blanca ( Benidorm :oops: ), or the Algarve, or in the winter perhaps the Canaries, but all lack the other aspects of the LOS. (the fried rice and chicken).

I had been hoping I might get back to LOS this January (last month), but then Omicron raised its head and from what I hear things in LOS are still far from being back to normal. I just don't fancy an enforced quarantine subsequent to arrival, nor all the paperwork currently required, so am waiting to see what November 2022 brings.
I can only speak from my own experience and travelling to Thailand on December - it is a bit of a ball ache the paperwork and day 1 test but it wouldn’t put me off doing it again - if you want to go there I wouldn’t give up do easily as it’s really doable and not really as bad as it seems.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 15, 2022, 8:53 am

arjay wrote:
February 14, 2022, 10:40 pm

I have never left and;

Apart from entering everything is the new normal that is not much different from the old normal apart from

Mask wearing is virtually universal
Hand sanitiser is everywhere
Temperature checking on entering most bigger business is universally used
Some degree of social distancing (almost English ;) ) is mostly respected.

I can’t comment on drinking establishments as I don’t use them.
Some restaurants serve beer in coffee mugs some don’t have any alcohol service, though since I’m usually the driver so never drink when I’m going to drive I am not sure about that.

So all in all little different fo me from 3 years ago

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » February 15, 2022, 11:34 am

I thought that this thread was about the frozen UK State Pension, rather than the state of old age pensioners 555

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 15, 2022, 11:40 am

Same Same but different

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 15, 2022, 4:44 pm

There were amost no masks in Khao San Road last weekend (or the one before). The photo is from Stickman's most recent column:

Perhaps there are no British pensioners among that lot.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 15, 2022, 4:52 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
February 13, 2022, 5:43 pm
Thank god ...... oops sorry did I say that out loud? :oops:
No, but you wrote it out loud. You've been reading too many of the watchman's posts. You aren't usually that feral.

Thank Buddha is better. The Buddha looks after things in Thailand and not the British God.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 15, 2022, 5:06 pm

We dont have British Gods, some there favour a Jewish one, although most only worship those on the football field

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 15, 2022, 5:55 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
February 15, 2022, 5:06 pm
We dont have British Gods
Really?

Tea?

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 7, 2022, 5:53 pm

one odd thing i found out today , if you take a holiday to Philippines and your on a british frozen pension you can contact the DWP and get it "thawed" for the period of your stay. no minimum time either, as soon as you land your pension goes up , even pensioners going back to the uk can get it thawed for the duration of their holiday . if it is worth the hassle that is.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/c ... li=BBoPWjQ
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 9, 2022, 3:30 am

From the Daily Mail today:
Can I unfreeze my state pension when I visit the UK from a country where payments don't rise every year?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/pensi ... it-UK.html

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » May 9, 2022, 7:39 am

So I go visit UK for a couple of weeks, and apply for up to date pension.
So when I return to Thailand, My pension reverts back to my original payments?
Or stays up to date?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 9, 2022, 7:43 am

Got to love the typical government obfuscation about it being something that has served the UK well for over 70 years without saying exactly how bilking British pensioners out if their money has helped or by how much. Of course, if they told us how much it has boosted their coffers, they'd need to also tell us how much it costs to administer and police this arcane policy.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 9, 2022, 7:43 am

choi choi wrote:
May 9, 2022, 7:39 am
So I go visit UK for a couple of weeks, and apply for up to date pension.
So when I return to Thailand, My pension reverts back to my original payments?
Or stays up to date?
It reverts back to the low, frozen rate when you leave blighty.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “Money, Banking & Investments”