ATM now requires Thai ID card for some transactions?

tamada
udonmap.com

ATM now requires Thai ID card for some transactions?

Post by tamada » April 12, 2020, 8:25 am

I used a Kasikorn ATM yesterday at their branch next to the PTT pump station near Central and noticed a new card slot below the slot where you stick your plastic in. There was a bi-lingual sticker around this second slot explaining it was for a Thai ID card and for added security. Maybe certain transactions require the Thai ID card? I had used the very same ATM less than 2 weeks ago and it didn't have the ID card slot back then.

They now require a Thai ID card be presented when paying some utilities so what if they decide that all ATM transaction will need one as well? Since the Thai ID card has an embedded chip and the pink one for foreigners doesn't, I can foresee a mountain of woe if it does become a requirement.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: ATM now requires Thai ID card for some transactions?

Post by parrot » April 12, 2020, 8:51 am

I don't see anything in Thai websites that report that. I know many folks are receiving 'food stamp' payments onto their ID cards or other cards issued by the government. I wonder if that may be what's behind the ATM machine addition. If I come across anything in the news, I'll report here.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 12, 2020, 11:26 am

would it have anything to do with the 5000bt each, the Thai Government is handing out to its people, to help them thru covid.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 13, 2020, 6:41 am

Many Government handouts are done by using the chip in their ID Card to access it, the 500 baht , the 5000 baht and other offers or give-aways the Govt has done. makes sense to add an Thai ID card slot as often ( witnessed myself a Thai ID Card screwed up a normal ATM slot .

Return to “Money, Banking & Investments”